Farmer's Markets

1. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Farmer's Markets

So we have this awsome Farmer's Market in town that has a plethora of organic foods brought in fresh from local amish / ameninites (sp?). In any case, this food has several advantages over supermarket foods:

* Cheaper
    * Fresher
    * Not processed
    * Organic
    * Better taste

At the same time, when I'm buying things from the market, I'm getting free things left and right for buying over X amount of food. I got a free LB of sausage when I bought 3 LB's of lean ground beef. I got 4 free hotdog things when I bought 2 dozen organic / free range eggs.

I really think these markets are superior to supermarket giants. It may be nessasary to still use both, but I think you can get better meats, steaks, chicken, eggs, cheeses, for cheaper.

Thoughts?

2. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.1%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Farmer/Local markets are amazing for unprocessed produce. I wish there was one within a reasonable range of where I live.

The prices are much, much cheaper than mass supermarkets, and as you said, bartering is abound.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.33%

I would kill for a farmers market to be in my area (theres a couple of fresh markets I like though. Quite expensive but quality always is). Their quality of food pertaining to vitamins, minerals, and overall amounts of both of the aforementioned are just so high. I try to get organic milk, vegetables, meat/poultry but farmers markets ftw.
    •   

4. I know nothing...
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.52%

Yea, they've got a few of them going just about every weekend around Portland area unfortunately I don't go there as often as I should.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.36%

Is it really less expensive? Seems like all the organic products that I see seem to be more, but I've never been to a farmer's market.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.53%

Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    So we have this awsome Farmer's Market in town that has a plethora of organic foods brought in fresh from local amish / ameninites (sp?). In any case, this food has several advantages over supermarket foods:

* Cheaper
    * Fresher
    * Not processed
    * Organic
    * Better taste

At the same time, when I'm buying things from the market, I'm getting free things left and right for buying over X amount of food. I got a free LB of sausage when I bought 3 LB's of lean ground beef. I got 4 free hotdog things when I bought 2 dozen organic / free range eggs.

I really think these markets are superior to supermarket giants. It may be nessasary to still use both, but I think you can get better meats, steaks, chicken, eggs, cheeses, for cheaper.

Thoughts?
    Word!!

I also like handing over my money to them more then a major supermarket. Farmers get royally screwed these days.
  7. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

They are all over the place here. I never have went to one though. Never thought about it actually. There are at least 5 of them within 10 miles of me. 1000's within the state.
  8. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Maybe I'll go and pick up some vegetables sometime. Usually I just drive by and ignore them.
  9. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Maybe I'll go and pick up some vegetables sometime. Usually I just drive by and ignore them.
    I don't mean little farmer's stands...

I mean this Farmer's Market tookover the same building food lion used to own, and it has more food in it now.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.45%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I think it depends on how laid back or snobby the neighborhood is in general though.When I lived in the bay area of CA, smaller towns like gilroy or larger cities that are more down to earth like San Jose, etc you get a more legit farmer's market. Now i live in Jupiter, FL which is in the west palm beach area. It's snob-ville and the farmer's markets are an overpriced joke.
  11. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.1%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LeeN View Post
    Is it really less expensive? Seems like all the organic products that I see seem to be more, but I've never been to a farmer's market.
    Organic is a very deceptive and ubiquitous label that at its base means, "no artificial i.e., manufactured components as major ingredients". That does not mean:

a) the fruit/product/bread/whatever is free of pesticides or hormones

b) the aforementioned product was organically (i.e., with no hormones, pesticides, or preservatives) grown

c) the aforementioned product was sustainably grown or cultivated

People get duped into buying the same ****ty food because it says 'Organic'. Farmer's markets are direct source retail markets - that is, there is no shipping and handling, marketing, wage or transport fee that raises $1.00 strawberries to $3.95.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.45%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Organic is a very deceptive and ubiquitous label that at its base means, "no artificial i.e., manufactured components as major ingredients". That does not mean:

b) the aforementioned product was organically (i.e., with no hormones, pesticides, or preservatives) grown

People get duped into buying the same ****ty food because it says 'Organic'. Farmer's markets are direct source retail markets - that is, there is no shipping and handling, marketing, wage or transport fee that raises $1.00 strawberries to $3.95.
    yeah, I hate marketing abuse of the all natural/organic market. People give me weird looks in the grocery store because sometimes you have to sit & read a food's packaging for like 5 minutes to be sure it really is what it says it is.
  13. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%

Unless it's a huge conspiracy, I have a feeling that my farmer's market is ran by real ameninites that have healthier cows with less antibiotics and hormones (i get enough of those already lol).
  14. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.1%

No, I know, I meant 'organic' labeled foods in supermarkets. Farmer markets are good to go.
  15. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%

No, I know, I meant 'organic' labeled foods in supermarkets. Farmer markets are good to go.

Oh, word up.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.33%

I just ran a search for farmers markets in my are and found a few (1 is actually already open as well). Going to hit that up next Saturday for some quality produce.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.44%

I am currently working on two gardens. One consist of a variety of vegetables:

eggplant
    bellpeppers
    squash
    corn
    okra
    watermelon

and the other is exclusively a tomato garden.

I am going to participate in my local farmers market for the first time this year. Hopefully I will have some success selling my produce.

During the Fall I am going to buy about 10 head of feeder calves,(and one pregnant cow for some milk ) and allow them to graze until Spring. Then I am going to have one slaughtered and processed for my family, and the rest I am going to sell. If all goes well with that, I may go into the grass fed beef business.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is 1 androsterone as safe as AMS markets it to be?
    By rezakhan in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 05:16 PM
  2. U.S. crisis effort may have further roiled markets
    By EasyEJL in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM
  3. Weak housing markets.
    By bombBoogie in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2007, 12:36 AM
  4. Farmer needs help...