Arms going to sleep

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
It seems like the more muscle I add in the upper arms and shoulders, the more often I wake up in the middle of the night with an arm asleep. And it doesn't necessarily have to be the one I'm laying on. I've actullay woke up laying on my left and the right arm is asleep. And it seems to happen more the nights after I work out that area. The more pump I get in the workout the greater the chance it happens.

It happens often enough that I began paying attention to my workouts and it happening and found the correlation.

Is it just me or somewhat common?

sw bill

Awards
That is the first and biggest sign of carpo tunnel syndrom. Not fun and it gets worse.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm getting this big time. I sleep with one arm up under my pillow on my side. I'm having a hard time going to sleep because of it and my shoulder is waking me up hurting. I think its the price we pay for carrying more muscle than our frame was meant to carry.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pinky and ring finger side mostly?

Sounds like nerve impingement - either in the shoulder or the ulnar nerve. The nerve MIGHT shift position relieving itself.

I had this VERY bad in the military when my arms broke 17.5".

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Sounds like nerve impingement - either in the shoulder or the ulnar nerve. The nerve MIGHT shift position relieving itself.

The brachial plexus is located in the region from the C5 thru T1 are and braches out (throughout the shoulder area) to make a network of nerves that impact many muscles in that nerve branch from pec, lat, tri, forearm etc.

I suffer from the same thing myself from time to time. Your pinky ring finger is supposed to be the ulnar - C8/T1

Like yourself once I approached the ~18" range in arm size, I believe that the added body mass and weight contribute to the impingement.

Now if I could only have 18"+ arms at 170lbs and a 30" waist.

Nah...the only time I will ever see me with a 30" waist is in my newborn baby picture. Mom was not very pleased with the delivery ;)

Image:Gray812and814.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The brachial plexus is located in the region from the C5 thru T1 are and braches out (throughout the shoulder area) to make a network of nerves that impact many muscles in that nerve branch from pec, lat, tri, forearm etc.

I suffer from the same thing myself from time to time. Your pinky ring finger is supposed to be the ulnar - C8/T1

Like yourself once I approached the ~18" range in arm size, I believe that the added body mass and weight contribute to the impingement.

Now if I could only have 18"+ arms at 170lbs and a 30" waist.

Nah...the only time I will ever see me with a 30" waist is in my newborn baby picture. Mom was not very pleased with the delivery ;)

Image:Gray812and814.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oddly enough, with a pumped measurement approaching 20", I am not having problems anywhere near what I once had.

I wonder if any baby has ever attempted an explosive squat type plyometric delivery? From womb to room in .4 seconds!!!!

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established

It seems more like my whole hand that goes to sleep. I just have to "shake it off" then try to go back to sleep.

I just hit the 17 1/4 mark...like I said, the bigger I get the more often it happens. Looking back I guess it started about the time I hit 17 inches.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

I'm at 18" and my arms go numb multiple time a night...I just deal with it. hey in the morning I still have 18" arms right....?

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I'm at 18" and my arms go numb multiple time a night...I just deal with it. hey in the morning I still have 18" arms right....?
I was just wondering if I should be concerned, but it seems somewhat common once arms get a certain size (17+)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I have smaller arms compared to you guys, and mine still go numb at night.

I just ignore it, as long as they dont go numb when im pressing something or during the day.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have gotten that in the past but i get it in my legs now when i sleep in my work chair :lol: like seriously i cant even stand up cuz they are weak and numb. It takes a good while to get it going again too.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
i have gotten that in the past but i get it in my legs now when i sleep in my work chair :lol: like seriously i cant even stand up cuz they are weak and numb. It takes a good while to get it going again too.
Yup my legs go to sleep at work too ... proper posture while sitting is the key to making that stop.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I had this happening really bad over the winter, I used to get so pissed when I would wake up to my alarm , which is a cell phone, and I would try to grab it with my arm that was asleep. I would drop the damn thing everytime, not be able to turn it off right away, start getting p*ssed ....Then I would realize I had one more that was functioning fine lol

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had this happening really bad over the winter, I used to get so pissed when I would wake up to my alarm , which is a cell phone, and I would try to grab it with my arm that was asleep. I would drop the damn thing everytime, not be able to turn it off right away, start getting p*ssed ....Then I would realize I had one more that was functioning fine lol
LOL. that was hilarious.