Road Cycling

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
Just curious whether any of you out there are into road cycling. I am thinking about picking up a nice used road cycle and riding some this summer.

My question is, how much cycling can I do and not turn into a skinny SOB. I know nutrition and my training will be a huge part of that, but are there any of you out there carrying a lot of muscle and still cycling.

Right now I am 6'2" and 220ish and 9-10% b/f. If I can maintain 210 through the warmer months then I am fine with that as that drop would just be body fat anyways.

Any ideas on a reasonable amount of hours/miles that won't destroy strength/ bodybuilding training? My goal right now is 230 at 8% b/f, so I need to gain 13 pounds muscle and lose 2 pounds fat. ummmmmmm

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established
ever seen a big cyclist? other than legs maybe

-TF

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
hey I am 6'3" 205. During the summer I usually ride upwards of 30-40 miles a week, and I have no problem maintaining size. Its good cardio and will help cut your legs up, but if you lift, eat, and hydrate accordingly you wont get small. The guys who do pro stuff ride 100+ a week. Recreational rides wont make you look like them.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
but if you lift, eat, and hydrate accordingly you wont get small. The guys who do pro stuff ride 100+ a week. Recreational rides wont make you look like them.
yeah I imagine their diet is really the #1 contributor to the greyhound physique, they probably go out of their way to
be as small as they can while maintaining a high stregth to mass ratio so they can move fast and breathe well, etc.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
yeah I imagine their diet is really the #1 contributor to the greyhound physique, they probably go out of their way to
be as small as they can while maintaining a high stregth to mass ratio so they can move fast and breathe well, etc.
Yeah they go for the power to weight ratio. We did a case study on Armstrong and on how when he lost weight before the tour he was producing less power, but his power to weight increased and his mechanical efficiency increased so he was faster.

Well, time to find a descent used bike and have some fun. :drunk:

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
hey I am 6'3" 205. During the summer I usually ride upwards of 30-40 miles a week, and I have no problem maintaining size. Its good cardio and will help cut your legs up, but if you lift, eat, and hydrate accordingly you wont get small. The guys who do pro stuff ride 100+ a week. Recreational rides wont make you look like them.
Thanks for the reply. I imagine the pros easily log over 100 miles a week. That is prolly a deload week for them!

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply. I imagine the pros easily log over 100 miles a week. That is prolly a deload week for them!
100 miles a week is nothing, that's not even a deload week. The pro's are crazy.

I spent a summer commuting on my road bike, about 14 miles a day, sometimes double that. I lost a good bit of fat, but not any muscle. I was still gaining, too. Just eat enough.

(BTW, beta-alanine is AMAZING for cycling.)