New (Used) Vehicle Suggestions

jrm

jrm

Awards
Was hoping to get some suggestions for a replacement used vehicle. Currrently I have a 2004 Dodge Durango lifted with 33" tires and get about 14.5 mpg (flux b/t 14.3 - 14.8) doing all city driving (getting 15 mpg before lift/tires). My goal is to find something that gets closer to 20 mpg city and is still manly. I was thinking about a 2004-ish Tacoma, but can't get a solid read on mpg performance. Thought about diesel Libertys, but those are a little girly. Was hoping to hear some suggestions....these gas prices are keeping me from purchasing supplements!

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
5 mpg will not save you a ton of money over the course of a year, maybe about $1000

which is easily offset by the sales tax and higher payments of a newer car.

Do you really need a truck / SUV or could you settle with a sedan that gets closer to 30mpg?

jrm

jrm

Awards
1. I live in South Louisiana
2. I have a small pecker

Taking those factors into account I pretty much need a truck/SUV. Plus, I'm single, so I'm not ready to strip away my masculine identity found via my vehicle. I wouldn't be looking at anything with a major gap in price difference....2004/5 models at the newest, 2003 at the oldest.

I have 143k miles and need a vehicle that can last about four or five more years; I don't believe this one will.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
1. I live in South Louisiana
2. I have a small pecker

Taking those factors into account I pretty much need a truck/SUV. Plus, I'm single, so I'm not ready to strip away my masculine identity found via my vehicle. I wouldn't be looking at anything with a major gap in price difference....2004/5 models at the newest, 2003 at the oldest.

I have 143k miles and need a vehicle that can last about four or five more years; I don't believe this one will.
haha gotcha man... i was just wondering bc im in a similar situation, but I came to the realization that saving a few MPG would not offset the 20mpg i currently get in a car that I dont owe too much on. not worth shelling out more money for a newer, more economical car in my situation.
But at the end of the day.. you have to enjoy the car/truck you drive... i love my V8

jrm

jrm

Awards
haha gotcha man... i was just wondering bc im in a similar situation, but I came to the realization that saving a few MPG would not offset the 20mpg i currently get in a car that I dont owe too much on. not worth shelling out more money for a newer, more economical car in my situation.
But at the end of the day.. you have to enjoy the car/truck you drive... i love my V8
Well, fortunately mine is paid off...but not worth much. I figure an extra 5 mpg will save me $100+ a month, so over time that would add up. I'm still debating about it, which is why I was looking for outside input.

You get 20 mpg in a v8?

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Well, fortunately mine is paid off...but not worth much. I figure an extra 5 mpg will save me $100+ a month, so over time that would add up. I'm still debating about it, which is why I was looking for outside input.

You get 20 mpg in a v8?
ah didnt know yours was paid off...that helps alot.
mustang... 95% highway driving... i see about 20-22 average.

I have yet to see a solid pickup that gets close to 20, unless its a 4cly and all highway. my moms got a hyundai suv, and even that only gets about 20 out of a 4cyl..but it doesnt have the balls you want lookwise or performance.

check edmunds.com.. they do reviews on every car... and theres a user feedback section for each car...a lot of people post their MPG and likes/dislikes
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/toyota/tacoma/100482266/specs.html
they say 21/27 on the tacoma... not bad!

a guy at the office has a dodge ram.. nothing fancy, its just a 3 seater short cab, but i was impressed on how well it drives and stops. not sure about the MPG, but its got a v6 w/ a 6speed manual. I was doing 50mph in 6th gear only turning about 1800-2000 rpm.. definitely nice.. but doing mostly city driving, that will not benefit you much.

jrm

jrm

Awards
Yeah, city is my key. I am about 16 miles each way, but it's in traffic so it's stop and go. I turn about 17/1800 rpm's at 60-ish and my highway mileage isn't horrible. The numbers on the Tacoma interested me, but haven't heard anyone getting that.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Was hoping to get some suggestions for a replacement used vehicle. Currrently I have a 2004 Dodge Durango lifted with 33" tires and get about 14.5 mpg (flux b/t 14.3 - 14.8) doing all city driving (getting 15 mpg before lift/tires). My goal is to find something that gets closer to 20 mpg city and is still manly. I was thinking about a 2004-ish Tacoma, but can't get a solid read on mpg performance. Thought about diesel Libertys, but those are a little girly. Was hoping to hear some suggestions....these gas prices are keeping me from purchasing supplements!

Nothing makes up for having a small penis.

J/k- A big truck does the trick!.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You could also consider some mods to the vehicle, or whichever you end up buying, for better mileage.

I put a K&N Generation II air intake and Gibson 3" exhaust on my Explorer and saw mileage go from an average of about 13 city/17 highway, to 18 city/32 highway. No joke. My uncle explained to me that at higher speeds the intake is almost like a passive turbocharger and makes the vehicle use air more efficiently. Something like that at least, made sense to me.

Just a thought...