Thinking of joining the army

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I'm 24 years old. Basically, there's not much left for me. My g/f of 4 years left me ... and I only have 1 or 2 friends of my own. My job pays the bills, but it doesn't have much of a future I don't think. I still live at home with my parents.

I've been very depressed lately and I think the army would be a good thing for me. I think I need to experience something like it in order to put things into perspective for me.

I am very patriotic and beleive that what we're doing is right.

Could the guys on here who have served in the military (or currently serve) please give me some advice. Thanks.

I was hoping to do some serious business, maybe Ranger or airborne...at least infantry. No sense in joining unless I'm going to do it right.

avgBdybldr

avgBdybldr

Awards
  • Established
hey man.
i respect your thoughts about joining the army. i joined the air force right after i got married so that i could support the two of us. the military will change your life and put a lot of things in perspective. you will realize that what you thought was important isn't anymore. i joined the AF because it's the "technical" branch of service. i wanted to have training in something that is relative to a job when i got out. im now serving in the Florida Air National Guard. i will say, it won't be easy in the beginning. but once your in, out of basic, and into the operational side of your branch of service, you'll be proud of yourself and a new level of self respect. good luck in your adventures into the military, and God Bless You.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
hey man.
i respect your thoughts about joining the army. i joined the air force right after i got married so that i could support the two of us. the military will change your life and put a lot of things in perspective. you will realize that what you thought was important isn't anymore. i joined the AF because it's the "technical" branch of service. i wanted to have training in something that is relative to a job when i got out. im now serving in the Florida Air National Guard. i will say, it won't be easy in the beginning. but once your in, out of basic, and into the operational side of your branch of service, you'll be proud of yourself and a new level of self respect. good luck in your adventures into the military, and God Bless You.

Thank you for your comments, and God bless.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
I'm 24 years old. Basically, there's not much left for me. My g/f of 4 years left me ... and I only have 1 or 2 friends of my own. My job pays the bills, but it doesn't have much of a future I don't think. I still live at home with my parents.

I've been very depressed lately and I think the army would be a good thing for me. I think I need to experience something like it in order to put things into perspective for me.

Could the guys on here who have served in the military (or currently serve) please give me some advice. Thanks.

I was hoping to do some serious business, maybe Ranger or airborne...at least infantry. No sense in joining unless I'm going to do it right.
hmmm have you already been through college? Thats alot of fun and alot of work but theres a future in sight...anyhow why not join the NAVY SEALS lol that will def put life into perspective and teach you a few things!! Not to mention it would be an amazing accomplishment!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
hmmm have you already been through college? Thats alot of fun and alot of work but theres a future in sight...anyhow why not join the NAVY SEALS lol that will def put life into perspective and teach you a few things!! Not to mention it would be an amazing accomplishment!
That's a little too much for me!

I've never been to college. I can't really afford it though. I suppose its something to keep in mind

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are at about the same point in your life where I was when I joined...I wish I had actually cut off the people back home, except for a very short list, and thrown myself more full force into the Army.

I ended up being disabled because of it, but it is a huge eye-opener about reality, and I will never regret my service.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I applaud your decision as long as you think it through, make sure desperation or the feeling of lack of options isn't your primary reason for joining. With the Navy I hear they take people up to 35.

But, if you think on it long and thoroughly enough, and decide to join, I wish you well. Had I not been born disabled I imagine I would have enlisted before hitting 21.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
If you are interested din attending college you could look into a ROTC program. People I know have done this and come out into the army and are currently in the Army Rangers and upper levels of the branch.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
RR, if there's anything that I can help you with, please feel free to PM me. I think I can offer you some insight that some may not. Joining the USAF in any degree will serve purpose, but if you're willing to knock your own walls of perception and reality down, there's so much that you will learn about yourself. Just let me know...

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
Just curious, but why are you considering the army over the other branches of the military? Have you researched other branches? Don't get me wrong, both of my grandparents were in the army and were very proud of it. Growing up, my dad was in the air force and though he had his qualms about the military in general, the air force treated him much better than some of his friends from other branches.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
I did seven and a half years in the Army, so I might be able to offer some advice. My first question is how well can you swim?

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
Im coming up on year 10 of my Army career. Although I love my Army and love doing what I do it just doesnt seem the same now days.

The Army was my second to last choice, Marines were my first but I wasn't smart enough I guess.

I'd have to say my experience in the Army has been good besides some of the dumb-a$$ officer's and enlised personel you have to deal with on a daily. I changed duty stations 3 times in my first 3 yr enlistment, 2 tours to Iraq, a stint in Korea, a couple 3rd world countries like Honduras and Thailand and to many field training exercices. But all in all I love it. My relationships have failed cause of my love for the job, I have no social life cause of the hours I work and the optempo of my unit but who's crying. The Army gives me 2 monthly pay checks that I know will be good enough, they give me money to pay rent and buy groceries, and pay all my medical bills, and they even pay for my college courses if i decided to take any. Plus I've been to some fun schools and have done something i never though i;d get a chance too.

But really, just talk to as many people as you can and just play 20 questions with them.

I love the army so much I'm in the process of switching over to the Warrant Officer side of the Army.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I can't really afford it though.

Everyone can afford college.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

www.fastweb.com

Don't go into the army for the wrong reasons. Your girlfriend probly left you because your 24 and still live at home. Get out of the house, go away to colleg come back in 4-5 years, cuz honestly most people dont make it out in exactly 4. Then find a better gf with the new you.

If you join the army and lose a leg, or die, or watch your friends die around you, how it that goin to help you?

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i was in the airforce for 4 years. I got out dec 2006. It was the best decision i ever made. I now have a great job as an I.T. systems analyst and i didn't know jack **** about computers when i joined. The AF treats you very well and you can get A GI bill which i highly recommend, and that will give you 40k for college. College is also free while you are in. The military will change your life and the respect you get from people for serving your country is unbelievable. I went in at 18 and i'm 23 right now. If i didn't join i probably would be dead right now, i was going down a bad path. Now i couldn't be happier. There are so many different jobs to chose from. Good luck.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Another option is to buy a one way ticket to Europe,Australia, London etc. It was the best thing i ever did. You find out a lot about yourself when you step outside your comfort zone. Whatever you do get out of your parents house!!!

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Another option is to buy a one way ticket to Europe,Australia, London etc. It was the best thing i ever did. You find out a lot about yourself when you step outside your comfort zone. Whatever you do get out of your parents house!!!

I have always thought about just getting my things together, and a buying a one way ticket some where. I leave my parents house next month, and graduate high school. I am joining the Marine Corps. I hope I like it, and get to do some traveling. I think the Military could be a good move, no matter what position your in, its a great steping stone for some, and a great career for others. Best of luck to you. Mark

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established

I will be following suit after I graduate from college. I do believe if you are not ready for college yet, by the time you are through with the military, if you are through with it, you will be.

I think you may be like me. I can tell due to you admitting that you are something of an introvert, and you sound not sure of yourself or your worth. I feel that joining and serving overseas will help me to find the things i feel i am missing: discipline, humbleness, and appreciation for my life. I will never have to be afraid/annoyed by anything petty again. I would tell you to go for it.

BUT, make sure you got your mind right. From your post, you have a 'woe is me' attitude about it. Make sure you do it for the right, strong reasons. Don't look at it as a last option. Look at it as your first option for building your mind toward being the person you see under your eyelids, homie. GET IT TOGETHER AND DO IT. Good luck, m'man. Best advice I can give.

Eric.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I'm all for it bro. Fresh starts can change your life...trust me!

pez6969

Awards
I am currently serving in Iraq right now and I think that if you what to do this then do it, but be sure this is what you want. Don't join because you are depressed. I have seen alot of guys do that and they come to Iraq and it gets worse. Good Luck and you need any info hit me up!!!

bow28:

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
I did 5 years in the Marines and loved it. Well, most of it.. The friends I have from the Marines are still some of the best friends I have even almost 4 years later. We all live thousands of miles apart, and we have kept in touch for 4 years and we visit each other when we can. The Marine Corps is different from all of the other branches and its not for everyone, but the military can be a great thing for a lot of people. And Im not going to try to bash the other branches here, but I can speak from experience. I joined the army about 7 months after I got out of the Marines because an army friend talked me into going back in with him, but the army and Marines are completely different worlds. I would highly recommend looking into the Marine Corps. But thats just me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do though. It can be a lot of fun when youre not knee deep in bs, and if you keep a good attitude about it, the good will far outweigh the bad.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
hey RR i was in the Coast Guard. i know everybody talks shyt about the coast guard but you dont really deploy, you are always by the water and it is so laid back. the best thing is you get all the benefits of being in the military. i did search and rescue on helo's and was a very rewarding job. i got out and had my college just about comletely paid for. i have a good paying job and i am leaving it to go back in. just giving you antoher option to look at.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
hey RR i was in the Coast Guard. i know everybody talks shyt about the coast guard but you dont really deploy, you are always by the water and it is so laid back. the best thing is you get all the benefits of being in the military. i did search and rescue on helo's and was a very rewarding job. i got out and had my college just about comletely paid for. i have a good paying job and i am leaving it to go back in. just giving you antoher option to look at.
Yea i def :rofl: at coast guards alot... but they have some of the best benefits for students planning on going to college!

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
Yea i def :rofl: at coast guards alot... but they have some of the best benefits for students planning on going to college!

ya everyone does. the funny thing is everyone i meet and talk to about what i did and they are all like " man i should of done the coast guard". no deployment, oversees, no sleeping in squad bays or barracks. oh ya flying a orange helicopter and walking around in a flight suit you pull all kinds of tail.:thumbsup:

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
If you do decide to join, shop around for bonuses. Waiting a month can get you 10-15k in bonuses for some MOSes. If you're gonna do it you may as well get paid.

Another option is joining the national guard. You can basically put as much time into it as you want with the national guard and you can stay close to home.

Its a buyers market for you. Don't jump on the first recruiter who wines and dines you. Shop around.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
If you do decide to join, shop around for bonuses. Waiting a month can get you 10-15k in bonuses for some MOSes. If you're gonna do it you may as well get paid.

Another option is joining the national guard. You can basically put as much time into it as you want with the national guard and you can stay close to home.

Its a buyers market for you. Don't jump on the first recruiter who wines and dines you. Shop around.

speaking of recruiters. they will tell you whatever you want to hear. best talk to some people you know first and get an honest answer. there are alot of people here that will help you.

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
Renegade listen to me man. If you are going into the armed forces, whatever branch, avoid infantry.

I just got done with 4 years in the Marine Corps, I was with an infantry unit 3bn 1st Mar. It's good if you're 18 or if you're thinking of pursuing a career in law enforcement.

The issue lies with age however, I must warn you. A grunt Bn. goes by seniority for the most part, but rank comes first. This means you'll hit the fleet by the time you're 25 and there's going to be a 20 year old kid telling you what to do most of the time.

I know it feels like something cool to do right now, but this is short lived. You will tire of firing your rifle, rifle movements, drills, humps, running.

Don't get me wrong, it's great. Like someone above mentioned i've met some of the best poeple in the world, grew personally and had some great experiences overseas and what not.

I've been to Iraq twice and for all the training that you'll go through, you're not going to be as active as you would imagine. Not now days, 3 years ago sure.

I think the military would be great, but try something that will benefit you more so. Bragging rights for being in the infantry is cool **** but it's short lived.

There are jobs in the ARMY that will station you in EUROPE for most of your enlistment. You could do some school, and get out with a GI bill. That's $1300 a month for going to college POCKET MONEY.

Trust me I would much rather have taken advantage of the military in that manner.

If you have any questions about the military or Iraq or anything relevant please feel free to ask me or shoot me a PM. :drunk: