3000GT, 300ZX, etc.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the market for a vehicle. I've wanted a 3000GT (94-99) or a 300ZX (90-96) for a long time. However, it will need to be a daily driver (to and from work, about 20 miles each way).

How reliable are these vehicles? I know they are both pretty expensive in the repairs department. I just don't have the money or time to do a bunch of upgrades and repairs.

There's an Acura Integra I was looking at that seems more practical, but I want something with SOME ass behind it. Plus, I kind of think Integra's are somewhat vagina cars (don't mean to offend anyone, just my opinion). RSX's on the other hand are pretty cool.

*note* - Obviously I have a budget or there would be a lot of other cars I'd be looking at.

Any ideas for other cars?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Don't know about other cars, but the 300zx is a sweet-ass car.

MB

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
heres what i think bro...I really love hondas so id go with a prelude if anything..99 or 2000...its got some ass behind it and especially if u do decide down the road to do upgrades and what not..great gas milage and with hondas they last forever..just something to keep in mind..hope this helps out a lil

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
heres what i think bro...I really love hondas so id go with a prelude if anything..99 or 2000...its got some ass behind it and especially if u do decide down the road to do upgrades and what not..great gas milage and with hondas they last forever..just something to keep in mind..hope this helps out a lil
Right on man. Prelude was my third option, but Honda's resell pretty high. I did find a 2000 Prelude, 81,000 miles for 8,500. What are 'OK' miles for a Prelude?

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
My dad had the 3000GT VR-4 (twin turbo, awd) that he used as a daily driver for about three years (up until last year when he sold it). He drove it from Cincci to Cleveland Ohio every weekend too.

I believe it was a 94, not sure though.

Freakin' thing screamed.

Forgot to mention he had the regular 3000GT before the VR4, also used it as a dialy driver for about a year and then gave it to my brother who used it for about 2 years until he bought a Mustang (ick..).

sp33dkillz

sp33dkillz

Awards
I've had my 95 3000GT since 01 I think. It stopped being my daily driver when I did the twin turbo conversion, but the car is strong as heck, and reliable.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've got a '00 Prelude, it's reliable as hell and the v-tech is awesome.

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
preludes are ok.

If I were to get a project car, I'd get an Acura Integra Type-R.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
preludes are ok.

If I were to get a project car, I'd get an Acura Integra Type-R.
If he or I had the money, I would have too (and keep it right side drive) But I think he's on a skim budget and looking for a daily car.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
very true. I had a 98 accord v6 coupe with 235000 miles on an automatic tranny and never had problems til i drove it into a wall....when that Vtec kicks its a good time, i loved that car, my first and best.

300zx with T-top is the fckn big diarreha sh1ts! The car is a beauty imo.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
300ZX is a nice car but its old. I'd take a R33/R34 Skyline over that or even a Supra or recent model 200SX. I guess it comes down to price. Jap cars are my favourite!!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
240's? hmm i think that must be our 200 model. All we have is 180, 200, 300. I know they a little different in the UK as well.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
s13,s14,s15 is what im talking about.

here is a pic

R

rhys

Awards
i own a 300zx, its a 94 model and only 70000kms (im australian) mine was imported in from japan, i have driven mine everyday for 3 years and it has not put a step wrong! its been more reliable than my mates cars one of which blew up while racing me! 300's r a great car but get a 2 seater and find one with a nice leather interior! its sex on wheels!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
i own a 300zx, its a 94 model and only 70000kms (im australian) mine was imported in from japan, i have driven mine everyday for 3 years and it has not put a step wrong! its been more reliable than my mates cars one of which blew up while racing me! 300's r a great car but get a 2 seater and find one with a nice leather interior! its sex on wheels!
The petrol costs not kill you on that one? they need premium right?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The petrol costs not kill you on that one? they need premium right?
much how is gas for you aussies by the way? My car takes premium and it runs about $4.25 a gallon right now. I average about $50.00 a fill.

ntrlmuscle

ntrlmuscle

Awards
if you're on a budget for repairs...AVOID 3000gt/Stealths at all costs! I have had 4 vr4s(two 92's,one 91 and one 97),one SL(95) one stealth RT/TT(92) and 2 N/A RT's(91,92). cool looking cars but throw rods like crazy and the trannies synchros go out like clockwork

check into 93-97 LT1 camaros/trans ams...very solid drivetrain,275hp,mod friendly and get 29mpg hwy and can be had for cheap

sp33dkillz

sp33dkillz

Awards
I have to disagree with that, the stock lower end of a 3000gt/stealth has been shown to handle 600 horsepower EASY. From 93 on they had forged rods and cranks.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
much how is gas for you aussies by the way? My car takes premium and it runs about $4.25 a gallon right now. I average about $50.00 a fill.
Well my brother just told me today he paid $1.62/Litre for premium unleaded (he has a turbo mazda gtr) so about $9-$10/gallon. You boys got it cheap trust me. In the UK where i am now your looking at $12/gallon.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well my brother just told me today he paid $1.62/Litre for premium unleaded (he has a turbo mazda gtr) so about $9-$10/gallon. You boys got it cheap trust me. In the UK where i am now your looking at $12/gallon.
wow! :jaw: :run: the UK is getting rapped!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
holy shite!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Yeah wel i guess it isnt fair to compare to the USD at the moment since the pound is much stronger but in australia it is very expensive. The excuses the oil companies make (Shell & BP) are quite ridiculous. Think BP made $57M every day in 2006.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
if you're on a budget for repairs...AVOID 3000gt/Stealths at all costs! I have had 4 vr4s(two 92's,one 91 and one 97),one SL(95) one stealth RT/TT(92) and 2 N/A RT's(91,92). cool looking cars but throw rods like crazy and the trannies synchros go out like clockwork

check into 93-97 LT1 camaros/trans ams...very solid drivetrain,275hp,mod friendly and get 29mpg hwy and can be had for cheap
LT1s were a steal. I had a 96 with aftermarket heads and exhaust and a vortech sc and it blew the doors off every import except for twin turbo Supra.

R

rhys

Awards
i am puttin an ethanol blend in mine and it no problem....it takes wateva just not dirty fuel (just like every other car!)