Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I have in the past, but not recently

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
Just a yes/no and if you want to explain why you do or don't. I'm curious about the way some people are about their body/diet and giving blood.

Just curious :)

I'll start off by saying that I do give blood every chance I get, just because in my mind I imagine it helping someone who needs it because heck I can make a bunch of it! Also, a big plus is the forced rest and relaxation after giving blood, and being able to eat extra to replace what went out! A little treat meal if you would :D

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
i give blood once a year to remove iron build-up/oxidation)...and save live.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I would, but there's no way to get my wheelchair on those stupid RV/busses they use. And then, when I explain to them that not only am I O-, which means anyone can use my blood, and that also due to my birth circumstances I have a special protein in my blood critical to newborn infants somehow (I forget how), which makes my blood rare, no one offers to help me out of my chair to get me on the bus still, so....yeah, I'm a little irate over it, hehehe...

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Im O neg as well so i used to every chance i got and the blood bank constantly contacts me to go and donate.I doubt i could though due to using some drugs/ph's etc.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
The bloodmobile is at my gym every 60 days almost to the date.. so i usually donate on my way out.

Usually they give out free movie tickets and some other coupons
Cant beat a free cholesterol test either.

Not sure if its the best idea to donate right after the gym..its probably somewhat counterproductive to lifting... but ah well. a little sacrifice never killed anyone

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
military people!!! if you have all your anthrax shots or a recent one with in 3 months some centers will pay you 200 bux a donation.
i make 800 bux extra a month doing this

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
you give blood 4 times a month? i thought you could only donate once every 3months...

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
you give blood 4 times a month? i thought you could only donate once every 3months...
yeah i think ur right about that. Do you guys get paid to donate in the states? im sure i heard that you do.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
yeah i think ur right about that. Do you guys get paid to donate in the states? im sure i heard that you do.
not that I know of

usually they give free movie tickets and a cholesterol testing to thank people for giving.
The limit for giving blood is once every 60 days. the last time I gave, my friends dad was in the blood mobile trying to give.. he had given blood 59 days prior... the wouldnt allow him to donate.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
The Apheresis Donation.
Donors give only select blood components — platelets, plasma, red cells, infection-fighting white cells called granulocytes, or a combination of these.
The process lasts 1½ -2½ hours. During the actual donation, a carefully monitored machine will draw blood from one arm through sterile tubing into a cell separator centrifuge. The blood stays inside the self-contained sterile tubing and never comes in contact with the machine. After the blood component(s) have been collected, the rest of the blood is returned to the donor through the same arm or the other arm.
Generally a person may donate platelets as often as every 48 hours but no more than 24 times a year, and twice in one week.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
not that I know of
You are talking about Red Cross, I guess. They don't pay for blood, but there are other organizations that do pay for your blood, but not a lot of them exist, and they don't pay that much, around $40.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
Some places do pay you. For the red cross however (the only place i've donated) you do not get paid, and are only allowed to give every 8 weeks (granted that is the ONLY place that you give blood at).

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
corporations pay for plasma and other blood components, they're typically hard to find though, and the samples are used for (often shady) research. donating to charity foundations, red cross, etc is exactly that, a donation.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Some places do pay you. For the red cross however (the only place i've donated) you do not get paid, and are only allowed to give every 8 weeks (granted that is the ONLY place that you give blood at).
I volunteer for Red Cross, and like I said you can do "The Apheresis Donation" twice a week for them. It's not very popular though, because it's time consuming and had to be done at their main office, but it's very easy on your body.

Soccer00

Awards
I'll start as soon as I'm out of college soccer (it takes a long time for rbc count to recover), provided they don't care I lived in england during the mad cow epidemic

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No, I tried a couple times and freely admitted to using supplements at which time they declined. I guess no one wants AB blood anyways.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
No, I tried a couple times and freely admitted to using supplements at which time they declined. I guess no one wants AB blood anyways.
which supplements?

And look on the bright side, AB is the universal receiver, should you ever need blood! Hopefully not though.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
You are talking about Red Cross, I guess. They don't pay for blood, but there are other organizations that do pay for your blood, but not a lot of them exist, and they don't pay that much, around $40.
your right 40 bux in most cases that are for medical but the places im talking about are different.
one place takes plasma and uses it for makeup.
the other takes anthrax vacinated people and they use that to try to create an anthrax vacination.
i donate to the anthrax one about 4 times a month and i do make an extra 800 a month for it

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
An extra $9600 per year just to donate blood? damn man, im guessing they don't take the usual amount then which is what something like 450-550ml.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
An extra $9600 per year just to donate blood? damn man, im guessing they don't take the usual amount then which is what something like 450-550ml.
they take quite abit... dont recall exactly but they replinish you with serium throughout the entire process and i will admit you feel very ran down for the rest of the day

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established
TF desont give blood but donate sperm alot.

-TF

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had to vote "I have in the past, but not recently" as I got a tattoo last july and so have to wait till this july to donate again...

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I had to vote "I have in the past, but not recently" as I got a tattoo last july and so have to wait till this july to donate again...
I wish the waiting period was not 1 year.

Im thinking of getting another tatt.. but i hate the fact that it wont let me donate for 12 mo's

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ya, I was 1 pint shy of my first gallon too, then I got that tattoo on my trip to hawaii (with the missed reset ad shipment, you remember that? funny) and have been itching since then to break the 1 gal mark

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
According to this poll about 46% people donate blood, when in reality it's only 2-3% at the most.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
According to this poll about 46% people donate blood, when in reality it's only 2-3% at the most.
If I made a poll asking how many people were fat/obese with body fat percentages over 25%, it would be much less than the national average percentage wouldn't you say? :study:

Certain groups of people do have a habit of also doing other things. I know many people who lead healthy lifestyles (bodybuilding) who also give blood.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
there is a good article in LG science's "geared magazine" about how it's good for your heart. also, it's a great way to help those in need. sadly, i haven't done it in a few years

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
someone who gives blood is a lot more likely to notice the title of this thread and read, and thus vote

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I used to donate regularly. The last time I went in, the blood bank pulled a false positive for Hep C. Scared the living shiet out of me. 6 months of blood tests proved I was fine, but I am black listed due to the false positive. Kind of sucks IMO.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
I used to donate regularly. The last time I went in, the blood bank pulled a false positive for Hep C. Scared the living shiet out of me. 6 months of blood tests proved I was fine, but I am black listed due to the false positive. Kind of sucks IMO.
Yep, my mother had a similar false positive, on something that I can't remember. Permanently blacklisted on a deferred donation list, even after MANY further tests (which I imagine stressed her out to no return).