Make my truck purrrrrr!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's actually my Dads truck,but it's for me.I work for him and it's technically mine,but literally his.It's a 2000 dodge,360 V8.They said it's not loud,and I want to make it loud.I talked to a guy at the gym who likes fixing up trucks,and he decided on telling me to get a 40 series flow master.Would ya'll suggest this or another series?I told my Dad,and he said he would pay the difference to have dual exhaust put on,but I told him they just cut the exhaust off.It sounds like he wants the dual exhaust.I have seen trucks with dual exhaust that sound good,but the guy at the gym said it cost more and makes it not as loud.I don't know much,I just want it to have that deep smooth purrrrrr.If anything I can talk him out of paying for it i'm sure.:)

So what type of flow master you suggest?Have dual exhaust put on or no?

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Yes, the whole point of an exhaust system is produce a tonality to your liking.

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
ok.. if you want it to be ridiculously/obnoxious loud go to an autozone/pepboys/oreillys etc and buy some glass packs. They are a straight thru resonator style muffler that is filled with glass. As the glass melts away they get louder and louder. Put one of those on with a turn down and it will be loud. Total cost about 50 bucks.

If you want loud but not obnoxious get an original 40 series two chamber muffler with the same turn down. It will be around 100 bucks but sound alot better tone wise. They make a 40 series delta flow with 3 chambers that has the same tone but will be a little quiter.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm not shooting for the old truck with a rebel flag sound.Prob the original 40 series two chamber.I wish I could hear trucks with the different mufflers.I want it loud and deep,but not crazy loud.I love harleys though,so the original 40 series will probably be good.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Magnaflow Turbo.
Or Magnaflow Turbo XL if you can get them.
Youtube it, im putting them on my car and its a V6 but it sounds great on just about any car. I shyt you not.

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
If you go to flowmasters website you can hear audio clips of the different mufflers on cars/trucks. While you may not be able to hear that muffler on your exact vehicle, it should be very similar. flowmastermufflers.com go to products/mufflers/40series/orignal 40 and there is a little button at the bottom of the pic that says soundclip. All the sound clips are the mufflers with full pipes out the rear, if you dump it right after the muffler, you get a much louder and throatier sound.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
Or just look on youtube, everybody posts videos of their exhausts

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you go to flowmasters website you can hear audio clips of the different mufflers on cars/trucks. While you may not be able to hear that muffler on your exact vehicle, it should be very similar. flowmastermufflers.com go to products/mufflers/40series/orignal 40 and there is a little button at the bottom of the pic that says soundclip. All the sound clips are the mufflers with full pipes out the rear, if you dump it right after the muffler, you get a much louder and throatier sound.
I seen that,but like you said it could be a different car which will affect the sound.Plus my computers sound doesn't work.I called a shop today and I can buy the dual 40 series and have them install it for 175.I'm going to have them dump it too.My Dad wants the chrome dual exhaust,but I talked him out of it.He knows he can do it later if wanted.He said for resale value,but I like the look of no exhaust.It looks custom.Plus It's not going to get any extra or less because of it.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you keep some sort of exhaust system on there. If you just cut the pipes off after the headers, yeah it'll be loud, but it can mess up your truck.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well the shops going to do it.I believe the flow master is the exhaust system.I lived in a hick town and some actually did just cut the pipes off themselves.Sounded like sh!t.Loud,but sh!tty!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Give it a few months, that engine will be ruined.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
yeah, your truck will be good to go.

Personally I'd go for smoke stacks instead of the standard flowmasters out the back but that's just me.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What are smoke stacks?I love the deep smooth sound of flowmasters.It's not getting a dual exhaust comming off,just dumped right after the flow master.My dad wanted to pay the difference and have dual exhaust,but I talked him out of it.It was pretty easy.Now he doesn't have to pay anything.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
smoke stacks, like what tractors (big rigs) have. I have this master plan of putting a pair of them on my truck, complete with the little flapper on top to keep the rain out.

Similar to these but I have side steps on my truck so they'd be coming through those instead of the bed of my truck.

Attachments

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ok,I have seen those before.Cool,but not my style.I thoguht they were just for looks.I seen a diesel one time that had its smoke stacks bent to look like horns ans cut at an angle to come to a point.It was the coolest diesel I ever seen.

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I've got a 1980 Chevrolet Cheyenne Camper Special with a 454, stainless steel headers (dual exhaust obviously), and mufflers. I wish I had glass packs, but I don't. It still sounds hella nice, extremely loud when I want it to be, but quiet when it's idling or the RPM's are staying steady. I say get headers, go dual, go with glasspacks (if you like that specific sound). Also, my dad showed me this trick back in the day, if you get glass packs, pour some deisel into it, and get a propane torche, and torche the inside for a while. The fiberglass melts, and it ends up magnifying the exhaust, not muffling it. And the best thing is, cops cant tell. As far as they can see, you got mufflers on there;)

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I finally put a flowmaster on my truck today.A 40 series single in dual out and I had them dump it.That is one nice sounding truck.Loud deep and smooth!It feels like driving a whole new truck.I specifically went out of my way on the way home from the store just to hear it some more.It gets a little loud in town when you're doing 30-35 and always taking off and all but it sounds great with the radio loud while still being able to hear it clearly.You can feel it vibrate and it rattles something every now and then.On the highway it is the most beuitifull deep purrr just off in the background.I highly reccomend the 40 series flowmaster for a deep smooth rich sound.

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ86h_tIsgY"]YouTube - PanterA Glam Days introductions by band members![/ame]

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
on that first vid at 2:02 he plays the outro to floods!! one of my favorite riffs from him. sorry to go off subject but judging by your sn and avi i thought you would like these, there are a few more of these old videos on youtube you may want to check out.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thats cool man.Of course i'm interested in those!I have cfh in 3-d letters on my wrist,and my 3 yr old pit's name is dime.They're definately old.Dimes skinny!!!My computer has no sound but I'll check them out on another today.Yeah flood is one of my favorite songs.I have many favorite songs by pantera,but it's one of them.