Age of your First Tattoo?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Title pretty much says it all. I am currently heavily debating getting my first tattoo but can't seem to solidify my mind. I lost my oldest sister in 2002 and ever since my Junior year in HS I knew I would eventually be getting a tattoo in him memory, so the question isn't if but when (and also making it the best possible time.)

Although I don't know exactly what I will be doing (I haven't really researched artists/ideas since I don't know when I will be doing it) I do know that I want it on my upper middle back (and maybe somehow incorporate my shoulder.)

Now my main concerns now are potential stretching (I will be training for more size for some years to come,) being to young and potentially regretting getting it too early, and just general lack of knowledge when it comes tattoos.

My questions to you guys is 1) When did you get your first tattoo? 2) Did you ever regret getting it so early? 3) Did you notice any undesired stretching/distorting as you got bigger? 4) Was there anything you wish you had done looking back on it?

This is a big decision for myself and I really got to know exactly what I'm getting into. Any info you tattoo knowledgeable individuals have is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established
sorry for the lose.

TF has muscles. no need for tattoos.

-TF

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Got my first one at 14. Do I regret it, No. I hate people that get tattoos that have absolutely no meaning, other than "it looked cool." I got my first one for stupid reasons. Got my second in memory of my brother. Mark

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
18, no, no (cause its not like I started working out till the last year or two), and no

Finding the artist for it is the important thing, and don't skimp on the cost....

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I got my first one at 17.

Do I regret it? No, because I got the tattoo to commemorate the passing of one phase of my life onto the next.

My tattoo is a pretty basic design, but as far as I can tell it hasn't been warped by getting bigger/then fat/then trying to get bigger again :lol:

Do your research, and don't rush into anything.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
20, no, no, gotten more!! (but that can be done :))

JonLanni

Awards
First tat was at 16. Now I have a full sleeve of Bio. Ask around see where the best tattoo shop is. You may have to drive an hour but it will be worth it. Most importantly take your time choosing a design and a tattoo artist. No rush = no worries. You only live once. tat it up.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Got my first at 18 and my second at 19 and love them both, They are both on my shoulders, and they wont stretch because my damn shoulders wont grow! Don't cheap out and make sure you take good care afterwards. I don't think you will have to worry about it stretching to much unless you are planning on getting to be the size or Ronnie Coleman or real fat. If it has meaning you wont regret it, hope it turns out good.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
first tat at 24, I waited , knew since i was 17 i wanted one but waited till than, I now have 9, all with meaning......You can really only see 2 of them, so I like the hidden idea...:)

Sorry for your loss............

TC

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone for the info and condolences, has been very helpful.

I guess it was like I thought and as long as I take the time to find a great artist and put the thought I know I will it will turn out fine. Glad to hear I won't have to worry too much about warping because I know I don't want to/never will be able to look like Ronnie lol.

TC ~ I definitely like the idea of keeping it in areas that can be concealed for work related reasons. Thats one of the biggest reasons I like my upper back (below shirt line) and shoulder.

Again thanks for all the info. I probably will begin my search for artists in NJ and keep things updated.

tattoopierced1

got my first one when i was 17, still love every one I have, no regrets. none of mine have stretched and i've put on a good 70lbs since having the majority of mine.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
got my first one when i was 17, still love every one I have, no regrets. none of mine have stretched and i've put on a good 70lbs since having the majority of mine.
If your tattoos haven't stretched than I have no worries, you put on some awesome size.

I'm in the process of looking for an artist (and I think I found one) and am trying to get ideas I can give him to work with.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
i got mine at 18. I dont regret it at all. I always knew what i wanted and i was with my pops and he was going to get one wit me so i got mine. but he couldnt find one he like to cover up some of the names on his arms of past exs lol and so far it hasnt stretch and after reading tattoopierced post i dont think they will.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1) When did you get your first tattoo? Ten minutes into being 18.

2) Did you ever regret getting it so early? Nope, infact my best one yet I feel.

3) Did you notice any undesired stretching/distorting as you got bigger? No I did not.

4) Was there anything you wish you had done looking back on it? Took care of it correctly, so it didn't scab up so bad. Had it redone though

Adams

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I got my first at 18 and do not regret it.It's on my shoulder and it says the gift of life in a circle with a coffin in the middle and a spider web in the background.I knew I wanted to be covered at 13,so it's in my blood.I'll be making trips to the tattoo shop at 50,I promise you!If i'm still alive of course.They'll have to have that one showing in my coffin. :lol: No stretching or nothing and i've gained 50lbs.Just remember the sun fades them.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Mine hasn't been born yet :( but it has been designed :)

MB

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
First one at 19 second one at 29.

I'd get more if I could figure out something that I truly wanted.

My advise, don't get anything trendy, make sure you find a good artist. A good artist will sit down and draw it out and then ask if you want anything changed. Don't be afraid to ask for it to be different than what he drew, you have to live with it.

Do I regret mine, no

Stretching, no...I have one on each shoulder. I made sure and got mine where I could easily hide them, in fact, most people don't even know I have them. I got mine for me as you sound like you want yours for you.

and just as an idea, when I got my second one I took in about 6 different pictures and gave them to the artist and told him what I liked from each picture and asked him to combine them into one.

Good luck

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Im in a rather similar situation now. I didn't lose a sibling however he was my best mate. Been contemplating getting it done a year or so now. The 5 years anniversary is coming up next month so im gunna make sure i get it done on the day otherwise i'll just keep putting it off.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone for the info and condolences, has been very helpful.

I guess it was like I thought and as long as I take the time to find a great artist and put the thought I know I will it will turn out fine. Glad to hear I won't have to worry too much about warping because I know I don't want to/never will be able to look like Ronnie lol.

TC ~ I definitely like the idea of keeping it in areas that can be concealed for work related reasons. Thats one of the biggest reasons I like my upper back (below shirt line) and shoulder.

Again thanks for all the info. I probably will begin my search for artists in NJ and keep things updated.

Good luck in the hunt for a artist, I always go to the same guy.....but i think my tattoo days are done...I have enough and all with meaning :)

TC