Been thinking about a job change.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Right now I build fences with/for my dad.I have done it full time since I was 17.I'm 22 now.It's all right,but it sucks!Hours vary.We can go from working sun up to sun down 7 days a week to barely making enough to pay bills.I make 13/hr and get a truck.A sh!tty truck,but it runs great.My dad profits 100,000+a year.So it's not bad money,but hard draining physical labor in the sun and heat or cold.He will do estimates early morning,work with me getting supplies and helping out,doing on the site estimates,then go home and stay up late doing the paper work for estimates when we're busy.Theirs just no balance,and no one in their right mind would enjoy fencing.You either get born into it or fall into it somehow.I don't think anyone seeks it out.

So I have been thinking about becomming a personal trainer.I'm going to do the research,and i'm starting here.I know theirs some PT's on here.Is it worth it or should I stick this out and wait to be in my Dads position?I think I need to atleast try it and see.I hate my job for many reasons.Just like anyone who has ever worked with us has hated it.They all went on to something better.I would of quit a long time ago if I wasn't the boss's son.I don't think I can do better in the future,but it's worth it if i'm happier because of it.I don't aspire to be rich.A nice little house with a decent car.Well a BMW,but they're not as expensive as most think.Anyways.......looking for feedback from PT's.I have seen sites on the internet to get certified.Is this good,or do you need the kinseology to be succesful?It should get me started though to see how I like or dislike it right?

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
Right now I build fences with/for my dad.I have done it full time since I was 17.I'm 22 now.It's all right,but it sucks!Hours vary.We can go from working sun up to sun down 7 days a week to barely making enough to pay bills.I make 13/hr and get a truck.A sh!tty truck,but it runs great.My dad profits 100,000+a year.So it's not bad money,but hard draining physical labor in the sun and heat or cold.He will do estimates early morning,work with me getting supplies and helping out,doing on the site estimates,then go home and stay up late doing the paper work for estimates when we're busy.Theirs just no balance,and no one in their right mind would enjoy fencing.You either get born into it or fall into it somehow.I don't think anyone seeks it out.

So I have been thinking about becomming a personal trainer.I'm going to do the research,and i'm starting here.I know theirs some PT's on here.Is it worth it or should I stick this out and wait to be in my Dads position?I think I need to atleast try it and see.I hate my job for many reasons.Just like anyone who has ever worked with us has hated it.They all went on to something better.I would of quit a long time ago if I wasn't the boss's son.I don't think I can do better in the future,but it's worth it if i'm happier because of it.I don't aspire to be rich.A nice little house with a decent car.Well a BMW,but they're not as expensive as most think.Anyways.......looking for feedback from PT's.I have seen sites on the internet to get certified.Is this good,or do you need the kinseology to be succesful?It should get me started though to see how I like or dislike it right?

Do you have any brothers that work in the business as well? I ask you this because perhaps your Dad is grooming you to take everything over one day. Along the way, as you get more responsibilities perhaps he plans on giving you a bit more cash?

It is definately important to do something that you want to do, and if you just don't like that particular work it is quite understandable. However, there is nothing wrong about inheriting a six figure income, and potentially growing it once you take things over ( I was in a similar position as you, and I chose to pursue something that I was passionate about over the business. So I know what you are going through).

As far as personal training goes, you do not have to get a kineisiology degree (however it does look much better, especially if you wanted to work as a strength coach for a school or whatever).

There are several associations that certify personal trainers, if I am not mistaken the best are The American Council of Sports Medicine and the American Council on Exercise (ACE). There are many others, but these seem to be held in the highest esteem.

Basically you order the books, learn the material, and go take the test and that is that. It cost several hundred dollars, and I think you have to get continuing education and re-certify every so often.

I don't know how well the personal trainers are doing in your area, but with the economy slowing down I would think that the demand for personal training will decrease in the near future. That is another aspect of all this to think about.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm the only son and he does plan on giving(selling)it to me.He also knows I want to do something else.I am back and forth though.It's hard making a change,but I don't like many things about fencing.I have heard him talking about selling the company and getting into real estate.Buying and renting houses I believe.I wouldn't just quit either.I would start PT'ing part time.If i could and I enjoy it,I would quit in a minute.I'm going to talk to the PT's at my gym and see what they say too.I just hate fencing and many thiongs that have to do with it.Like the sun for one.Which is a pretty big part.All the older guys look like dried wrinkled bags of leather.Plus I have tattoos and the sun fades them.I get covered up from head to toe now.I feel like a complete total dumb a$$ though when it's the middle of summer in Tx!I could go on forever,but thats one thing I hate.

FOOFAC

FOOFAC

Awards
  • Established
I loved being a personal trainer because it was a low stress job. It can make you a bit sick of the gym and in my neck of the woods business would fluctuate very much with the seasons. If you're just doing personal training sessions you will never be rich unless your training Oprah. I also used to have a lot of problems with clients coming on to me which at first sounds great but it's a good way to ruin your career as a trainer...I suppose you could then start a career as a gigolo. lol

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
I would talk to trainers in your area first if you plan on staying in the area, I would imagine pay can vary a lot from place to place. I would start part time and see how you like it before you get set on it. There's worse things that could happen then falling into a $100k+ job that's already set up

FOOFAC

FOOFAC

Awards
  • Established
It's expensive to get into but have you thought about opening & running your own gym. That's the job I loved most. I truly enjoyed being at work which is something few can say.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's expensive to get into but have you thought about opening & running your own gym. That's the job I loved most. I truly enjoyed being at work which is something few can say.
Yes I have and i would absolutely love it!If the old people and others don't like having to yell over the pantera blasting out of the 18" speakers,then they can leave!Sorry,I hate my gyms music.They wouldn't change it for me the other day cause they said old people would complain,yet my complaints mean nothing.
I would love to do that,but how would you go about that?I haven't seriously considered it cause I dont see it being possible.My Dad bought me a new(2000)truck today.It's my first nice vehicle ever.I pay for gas for me.But if it's work related,which it usually is,he pays the gas.Also the insurance.Even before this I have decided to stick it out,but possibly become a PT part time.Fencing and other construction always gets slow every year.It's a matter of when,not if.
So anyways,How would you do that?Maybe I could save the money for that when I take over the company and then sell it.I have always thought about having a gym.Just think it's like thinking of being a millionaire.Hopefully i'm wrong.

Hate4TheWeak

Hate4TheWeak

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Suck it up bro!!! $13 an hour in TX is good and plus if you stand to inherit the company one day.........come on you ain't gonna beat that. I've had jobs that make that sound like a day of fishing lol.....I'll list'em for ya if you want. lol..
I guess what I'm trying to say brother is that ALL JOBS SUCK!!!!!!! At least with this one you KNOW your going to advance over time. With many jobs you don't have that and your helping the family too you gotta look at the ups you know.:cheers: I've done fencing and trust me, yea it sucks (everything does) but I've done much worse/dangerous jobs and for less money.
O'yea and work your abs out god D@mn it!!!!!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Suck it up bro!!! $13 an hour in TX is good and plus if you stand to inherit the company one day.........come on you ain't gonna beat that. I've had jobs that make that sound like a day of fishing lol.....I'll list'em for ya if you want. lol..
I guess what I'm trying to say brother is that ALL JOBS SUCK!!!!!!! At least with this one you KNOW your going to advance over time. With many jobs you don't have that and your helping the family too you gotta look at the ups you know.:cheers: I've done fencing and trust me, yea it sucks (everything does) but I've done much worse/dangerous jobs and for less money.
O'yea and work your abs out god D@mn it!!!!!
Yes I realise this.My Dad does better than many who went to college for years for their job.I would like to look into this gym thing though.I don't even know where to begin other than find a location.My abs get plenty of work with deads and sq's.Seriously though,I used to work them all day every day.After I quit and can still see outlines when bf is low enough,I have realised that I used to,and many still overwork their abs.Twice a week would be good,even once a week probably.

I should be getting 14/hr sometime soon.It's about time.I do eat every two hours now though,so that probably slowed the raises down a bit.Then the truck too.He says we have to finish a couple jobs before I can drive it so he can get the title in his name and pay the taxes for it.

Hate4TheWeak

Hate4TheWeak

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Look into the A.C.E personal training program I was thinking about doing it myself. And actually I have an uncle who has been a PT all his life and make a pretty good living. He trains people for Marathon's and sht. He used to do the Iron-Man triathlons back in the day (he's like 50+ now).

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Look into the A.C.E personal training program I was thinking about doing it myself. And actually I have an uncle who has been a PT all his life and make a pretty good living. He trains people for Marathon's and sht. He used to do the Iron-Man triathlons back in the day (he's like 50+ now).
Every trainer I talk to says they like it.Most of the trainers at my gym look like crap or don't train right in many ways.Like today this guy was sq'ing with a plate a side and he didn't get to paralell once while the trainer is watching him.He finishes and the trainer adds 50lbs to it!Then their was one who would help lift with every rep.Why wouldn't you just lower the weight?I swear,it just kills me.We had one who straight up has a gut,and another who's been there for a while.If you seen her you would never guess she worked out.Let alone train people.

Hate4TheWeak

Hate4TheWeak

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know man I LMFAO at trainers at my gym. I'm in better shape than all but one who looks like he's got a soild 8-10years of roiding under his belt.lol.....

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The guy I was refering to at first about his traine sq'ing.Well he has decent size on his uppper body,but no legs!I thought maybe he had no calves,cause those gym/basketball shorts he usually wears can hide the quads pretty good.Then I saw him in jeans and they are just small.No wonder he doesn't know you go to atleast paralell Like I said he has decent size up top,but you can tell it's ugly even with his short sleeved shirts.Some look good in a short sleaved short then like crap in a sleavless I have noticed.Smooth with no shoulders.

Hate4TheWeak

Hate4TheWeak

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Haha, quit checkin out dudes man..lol.........
You should see me in my cut off daisy dukes and flannel belly shirt.....Now that's some thing too look at LMFAO.....

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
If I were going to get into personal training, I wouldn't try to just freelance. I would join up with a personal training company. You will have guaranteed clients. You won't make as much per hour. But at least you KNOW you will have work.

My trainers make anywhere from 18-23 dollars per hour depending on their certifications, which is not a LOT, but its better than what your making now. But the advantage is they KNOW they will have clients as long as they are in the gym.

My .02