decent health/muscle mags?

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking of picking up a subscription to men's health, but wanted to ask around here before doing so. Anyone care to recommend a health/fitness magazine that's got solid articles?
I know some magazines are mostly glorified supplement catalogues, etc.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Muscular Developement has good research article but also a good amount of propaganda too for big companies like vpx & Muscletech.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Muscular Development is the only one worth reading imo.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. Muscular Development. Updates on pros, some good info, lots of big names behind it. But yes propaganda is there.
I think they info and other stuff provided though eliminates it well. Its not all show.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I find MD too hardcore for the average joe who just want to learn how to put on 5-10lbs of muscle.
I've been subscribing to muscle and fitness and that publication is ok, more recently started to subscribe to muscle mag and I really like it their new format has many improvements.
men's health on the other hand it's not worth it, its full of advertisements and they dont have good workout and nutrition articles.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
*sigh*

I miss MM2k (pre gold man)

I used to like Muscle Planet back when it was free :head: After MP became news stand it went down hill IMHO.

I bought Men's Health at the news stand sometimes. It's OK...The info's pretty commonn knowledge unless you're a noob, but at least the body's are more obtainable than the roided guys.

I used to have a Mens Health sub...warning!!! If you subscribe, prepare for "special offers: every month (pre-releases of books, special news pamplets, etc). Occationally the offers are tricky.ie no need to contact us, we'll send it automatically in 2 weeks and you can read it for a month then we'll bill you. I kept calling and telling them not to send it and they would anyway (I'd deny it when it arrived). They even automatically renew your subscription for you "for your convenience" even after you tell them your not interested.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I personally like to read MD and Muscle and Fitness. Also if there is an interesting article I will pick up and read Mens Health (but to me this is more geared to the weekend warrior)

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Yea, i was reading Mens Health and just found myself saying "duh" alot. I like Muscle n Fitness a bit, but i think MD has more substance and entertainment value.

I like MD even though it is more hardcore, it keeps you going and has great research articles and othe info on events and pros.

While were on MD, Anyone see the research section on supplements about CLA? According to the study it doesnt work or something poor. Ill have to read it again.

As said with anythign though, dont get sucked in, just read it and move on.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Yea I was just reading the latest issue of Mens Health (bought it for the Jeter interview) everything I was reading was basic knowledge or just some random sex facts (although somewhat entertaining not worth purchasing.)

I was also remember seeing some CLA info in the recent MD but also some positive info in M&F. You're definitely right, MD although pretty hardcore has some good research articles (although I find myself a little reserved to read it in front of others.)

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I used to like Muscle Planet back when it was free :head: After MP became news stand it went down hill IMHO.

:thumbsup:

Muscle Mag is my new favourite.

Its got little articles like the front of MD but less BullSh!t sponsored articles and advertisements.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Men's Health is the best.

Muscular Development, FLEX, Muscle & Fitness all suck. 80% of those three magazines are advertisements.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
(although I find myself a little reserved to read it in front of others.)
yea, i cant just read it on lunch at work, at a home improvemtn store, people give me funny looks and ask dumb questions.

I usually eat in my car with, my music, my food, and sometimes a mag if i dont eat alot.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
While were on MD, Anyone see the research section on supplements about CLA? According to the study it doesnt work or something poor. Ill have to read it again.
Their research articles are weak... i know science is constantly changing, but their articles always contradict each other...many times there will be 2 articles in the same issue that contradict one another.

I lost all respect for them when I saw them pitch MT in an article. IMO, staff written articles should be bias free... not product pushing.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
How's IRONMAN these days?

And I noticed one I never saw before...it's called REP and is published by Robert Kennedy, which makes me wonder about it as I'm not a fan of MuscletechMag lol

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I gotta say, if you're just trying to get into the game and increase fitness, men's health or muscle and fitness. Wanna be huge, muscular development. Name says it all.

Saurabh

Awards
Okay here goes the Fitness Magazine list. I will concentrate on what I think is top 3.

1) Muscular Development: Has some good articles, specially on training. Particularly nice is the part where some pros answer your Questions. Now whether they personally do it or not I am not sure but you can pick some good pointers.

What I hate about it is a) It has f@king load of ads. b) Has little or no articles on cardio or diets. c) Little natural supplementation aka CLA, fishoil and 7500 articles on why steroid should be legal.

Overall a good mag for hardcore builder.

2) Flex: Carries mostly Weider athletes which means you will keep looking at Johny Jackson every 2 months. Has a more balanced approach of cardio, diet and exercise. Specially good for beginners who need to gain knowledge.

What I dislike: a) A feature on Arnold every 2 months. b) Building hype of its own athletes like that retard Peter Putnam.

3) Muscle Mag: Probably the best balanced of the lot. My personal favorite since it has more articles and less ads. Most issues will have snippets on cardio, diet and exercise. Also the models in it are very real life, I mean they still lift more than me but still lifelike. And little mention on steroids. Also not much hyping of any athletes.