Relaxing after workout bad?

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
A friend of mine was asking if going in the hot tube after a workout is bad?

My thoughts were no, as i figured relaxing the muscles would help rebuild and the sooner you can hit the gym again. His argument was since you lose the pump from working out so fast that possibly its bad for muscle growth. Whats your opinion?

BifWebster

Awards
No its actually good, it helps with recovery.
Olympic athletes and other pro athletes utilize hot tubs, saunas, steam room to help recovery amongst other benefits... and probably simply because they have the luxury to do so.
If you got the time and the access to the hot tub more power to you.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I would see no drawback to soaking in a hot tub besides maybe passing out and missing a meal lol.

I've also heard that soaking in hot tubs increases blood flow to skeletal muscles (by dilating capillaries from the heat) which would only be beneficial to recovery/growth.

edit* I googled it real quick and also came across as an additional benefit to blood flow beside capillary dilation this:
"Secondly when you immerse yourself in a hot tub, your heart rate increases slightly which again aggravates blood circulation. Blood is over 90% water. Whenever the body is immersed in water, the gravitational force on the blood is greatly reduced. This results in free circulation of the blood throughout the body and its organs."

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
If I could, I'd sleep post workout, after I ate of course.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
If I could, I'd sleep post workout, after I ate of course.

Earlier in the year I would come home from the gym and get down two meals and then pass out for a good hour or more. Felt damn good. Can't really say if it helped with gains at all but it was extremely relaxing.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Earlier in the year I would come home from the gym and get down two meals and then pass out for a good hour or more. Felt damn good.
That's the kind of world I want to live in.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you buy me a hot tub I'll run a tester log on it for you ;)

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Earlier in the year I would come home from the gym and get down two meals and then pass out for a good hour or more. Felt damn good. Can't really say if it helped with gains at all but it was extremely relaxing.
This is what i did first semester! I don't have as much time as i did last semester and wish i could do this again. I did feel it helped with recovery to some extent and made me feel great. I think a small nap each day is great and i usually try to get one because living in a dorm you do not always get enough adequate sleep(which isn't optimal and sucks)

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
This is what i did first semester! I don't have as much time as i did last semester and wish i could do this again. I did feel it helped with recovery to some extent and made me feel great. I think a small nap each day is great and i usually try to get one because living in a dorm you do not always get enough adequate sleep(which isn't optimal and sucks)
Ya I hear that. Next year I will be napping like its my job to ensure adequate sleep time. When I was doing it before I felt like I was just making myself stay up later, and since I got up at 8:30 every day it didn't really do anything toward more overall sleep. Next year its game on lol.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
After a workout I have no choice other than relaxing. I'm basically wiped out and can't do much other than sit down and chill

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After a workout I have no choice other than relaxing. I'm basically wiped out and can't do much other than sit down and chill
this is partly the reason for me! if i do not have class i pretty much collapse and just lay on my bed after eating and relax

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
If you buy me a hot tub I'll run a tester log on it for you ;)
PM me for details crader. I'm currently working an internship for my degree with a major sauna/hot tub distributer, and can get one for dirt dirt cheap. I can get one shipped to you free only if you can seriously log it in detail.

If you didn't notice, it's still April 1st =D

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
PM me for details crader. I'm currently working an internship for my degree with a major sauna/hot tub distributer, and can get one for dirt dirt cheap. I can get one shipped to you free only if you can seriously log it in detail.

If you didn't notice, it's still April 1st =D
LOL No such thing as April 1st, I read it today so you owe!!!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a garden tub with jacuzzi jets in my bathroom, so the gym in the house works perfect :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and I have a gas 80gal hot water heater. so its impossible to run the water cold :)

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
LOL No such thing as April 1st, I read it today so you owe!!!!
It doesn't matter cause I posted it yesterday :D. I was trying to outdo Jerry since he got me good.:rant: haha