Earth Hour

Will you be closing your lights tonight?

• Total voters
lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
yea what the heck? i'm not a hug hugger or anything but here i chicago there is a big push for this thing. besides the gf and i can find something to do in the dark for an hour.....

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
yea what the heck? i'm not a hug hugger or anything but here i chicago there is a big push for this thing. besides the gf and i can find something to do in the dark for an hour.....
Exactly. Good time for romance :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think a greater impact would be to have all the *super-powers who practice advertising and marketing their wares by using giga-watt billboards shut them off for just one night.

*GM, Chrysler/Dodge, Budweiser, (insert the mega-corporation here)

Our cities across the globe are lit up up dusk to dawn with useless advertising.

Just one example of just ONE of my gripes regarding the hypocracy in and of this whole "green" propaganda.

I'm gonna turn my A/C down to 68° and light every room in my house :D

JMHO

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I think a greater impact would be to have all the *super-powers who practice advertising and marketing their wares by using giga-watt billboards shut them off for just one night.

*GM, Chrysler/Dodge, Budweiser, (insert the mega-corporation here)

Our cities across the globe are lit up up dusk to dawn with useless advertising.

Just one example of just ONE of my gripes regarding the hypocracy in and of this whole "green" propaganda.

I'm gonna turn my A/C down to 68° and light every room in my house :D

JMHO
Well it's def. a good start.. :D

But you'll see. Next year. All those companies will be on TV saying they're green and blah blah, and will do this for the earth hour. You'll see. the popularity of this day will amplify every year.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well it's def. a good start.. :D

But you'll see. Next year. All those companies will be on TV saying they're green and blah blah, and will do this for the earth hour. You'll see. the popularity of this day will amplify every year.
Yeah, while they do what the other 23hrs of the day and the other 364 days of the year. It's a joke.

"I want and X-Large pizza with sausage, pepperoni, mushroom and extra cheese....and a DIET Coke" :think:

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, while they do what the other 23hrs of the day and the other 364 days of the year. It's a joke.

"I want and X-Large pizza with sausage, pepperoni, mushroom and extra cheese....and a DIET Coke" :think:
This hour makes people take conscience about our environment. Next time they leave the tv on, they think twice.

Australia diminished their energy consumption by 10 percent after this day btw.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't disagree with the idea of social and environmental consciousness.

My opinion is that there are greater offenders. I won't argue with you...it will have it's positive effects as much as can be expected from some trendie, PC, social movement could have.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't disagree with the idea of social and environmental consciousness.

My opinion is that there are greater offenders. I won't argue with you...it will have it's positive effects as much as can be expected from some trendie, PC, social movement could have.

:goodpost::goodpost:

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
This hour makes people take conscience about our environment. Next time they leave the tv on, they think twice.

Australia diminished their energy consumption by 10 percent after this day btw.
i wonder how many people (if any) change the way they litter after days like "earth day". not very many if a had to guess. I'm a firm believer that if your going to do anything about a thing like that, you have to begin with people in your life.....case and point : 5 years ago i was driving down the expressway here in Chicago with a friend of mine. he knows how i feel about littering but chose to throw a candy wrapper out the window of my car (in Illinois the driver gets the ticket), so i chose to "lock up" my breaks on the shoulder of the road, put my car in park and ask him "ever so nicely" to go and retrieve the wrapper from the side of the road, after he saw i was dead serious, he did, and came back to the car with a bunch of trash, i don't think he ever really found his, but no matter, it was the point of it all. he still does not litter around me........also try this one out sometime, when sitting at a light, and seeing someone throw something out of their car, go and pick it up, throw it in their lap, with a reply of "you dropped something"......that one always gets em'. i do suppose it could turn out bad, you have to pick the right situation to do that one though.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
We'll have to do alot more than just turning off our lights for an hour one day of the year.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
What if the people who participate in this Earth hour thing use that hour to "get it on" and as such make millions and millions of new babies. Then we are just contributing to overpopulation, thus creating a whole new problem (or making the current problem worse).

Before you know it there will be "Abstinence Hour", and seeing as though I am married there is enough abstaining going on in my house. To hell with that!

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
We'll have to do alot more than just turning off our lights for an hour one day of the year.
True. But it does help us realize the importance of the situation. It is symbolic and important IMO.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually, I would support one hour of turning everything non-productive/non-essential off (television, video games, etc) but I don't understand the usefulness of returning to the stone ages as a gesture.

We proceed via technology towards ever increasing benefit, as well as energy usage (ideally) and waste...you don't eliminate the positive with the negative.

So...turn off all but a single light and read a book? Ok, cool....turn off the TV and research a new idea on the internet? Cool. Turn off the light and pretend life was so much better before technology? FAIL.

Control it and use it wisely...don't take it for granted, don't waste it, and don't reject it out of hand.