Recommended Reading...

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Please, list any and all books that you have read that have helped shape (for the better) the way you view general nutrition, training, supplementation, pre, during, and post-workout nutrition, and anything else I may have missed...

I'll go first..
Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition
By John Ivy and Robert Portman

This book has been great. It's full of useful information and studies to back up their claims. Thus far, it's the best thing (article, or book) that I've read about pre, during, and post-workout nutrition. Highly recommended.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I haven't read any nutrition books really but have recently read Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet and it really has tons of great info (for all you guys thinking about doing a Ketogenic Diet)

I'll have to check that book out since I just finished my physics book I was reading (A Brief History of Time) and need something new.

Cool idea for a thread man. Also if anyone has online articles/ebooks they find very useful that be great to post up as well.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sub'd to this thread for some good ideas for some summer reading when i don't have college textbooks to read :)

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
For people interested in the low-carb lifestyle, with sweet re-feeds on weekends, the Anabolic Solution is a very good book. It's available in an eBook as well.. Little bit cheaper, well worth it.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Bumping this. I picked up Optimum Sports Nutrition and am currently reading that. Just ordered the above recommended Nutrient Timing (thanks O will let ya know what I think. I hear its heavily carbohydrate based so should be interesting) and will be the next read.

Next (and already on hand) is Girth Control by Alan Aragon then Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism (thats a little daunting but I am determined to get through it.) I also am going to sign up for Aragon's monthly research review (AARR) should be a good read.

Summer reading: Fabric of the Cosmos :D

I am surprised no one else threw up some recommendations. Somebody has to be reading something solid, can't just be reading those supplement labels!!!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for bumping this OCC!

Reminds me, I recently finished The New Rules of Lifting, by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. It's a very good read.. Highly recommended as well.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
"Brawn" and "Beyond Brawn" cant remember the author sorry.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll have to check that book out since I just finished my physics book I was reading (A Brief History of Time)...
Stephen Hawkings?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Yes sir, and really enjoyed it (was a recommendation from a friend since physics/cosmos type science is a real draw for both of us). I picked up the Fabric of the Cosmos afterwards by Brian Greene but am going to hold off on diving in until summer after I have a chance to finish the nutrition books (so I can apply some of their principles).

You into the cosmos/physics types books?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes sir, and really enjoyed it (was a recommendation from a friend since physics/cosmos type science is a real draw for both of us). I picked up the Fabric of the Cosmos afterwards by Brian Greene but am going to hold off on diving in until summer after I have a chance to finish the nutrition books (so I can apply some of their principles).

You into the cosmos/physics types books?
Basically a general interest in the development of the mathematical sciences roughly since the 1900s and their implications on progress in theoretical and applied physics. Starting from Poincare (one of the last of the generalists, and the mathematician that generally founded the science of topology), to David Hilbert (famous for his Hilbert Spaces, and for outlining the so-called "unsolved problems" in theoretical mathematics in 1904, one of which was the now-solved Fermat's Last Theorem). Then through the great years of Einstein/Bohr/Planck/Eisenberg/Paul Dirac/Werner von Braun/Shrödinger --- from celestial mechanics to relativity to quantum mechanics, to quarks, to black holes (Stephen Hawkings and Roger Penrose), and to the futile search for a unified field theory. The fascination was also that whole new fields of mathematics had to be developed to approach some of these issues. Sometimes, it required a completely new perspective to viewing things, as in Mandelbrot's insights into chaos theory,... and so on.

Sorry, guys! Did not mean to hijack the thread....:D

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Although I am not fully versed in this subjects at this point (a true novice actually :D) I really do love this aspect of what you mention: "the Then through the great years of Einstein/Bohr/Planck/Eisenberg/Paul Dirac/Werner von Braun/Shrödinger --- from celestial mechanics to relativity to quantum mechanics, to quarks, to black holes (Stephen Hawkings and Roger Penrose), and to the futile search for a unified field theory."

Personally the black hole section in Hawking's book blew my mind (also the notion of the "Big Crunch" and is only a smidgen of what is really going on in our universe (the true amount of dimensions, the actual smallest part of an atom, unified theory, string theory, everything!) . I feel like theres so much information on the entire subject that it is really a daunting/impossible task to try and comprehend it all, but hey we got time right boss? Its hard sometimes when I want to read up on nutrition and everything (plus the upcoming school work) that it is a little aggravating I can't fully dive into it, but hey Rome wasn't built in a day either.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
...I feel like theres so much information on the entire subject that it is really a daunting/impossible task to try and comprehend it all...
You are right! That's why there are experts for ever smaller chunks of these subjects. Some 150 years or so ago, there was just a discipline called "Natural Philosophy" than encompassed everything from philosophy to mathematics to physics and much of what we know today as natural sciences. And one expert could teach all these areas at that time. These days, so much progress has been made in all directions that people absolutely have to specialize in ever smaller areas of a particular discipline.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
OCC I hit the physics interested stage a few years ago and read Hawking's stuff, Greene and some Friedmann. String theory was interesting, but then I got into working out and reading books like that.

Two nutritional books that I've read lately that are very interesting have been.
The China Study - T. Campbell
An Eater's Manifesto - M. Pollan

The China study is a very well researched booked that talks about the link between animal protein and disease, and was a real eye opener. An Eater's Manifesto is yet another eat natural foods/not refined , but I still enjoyed it as the sequel to an Omnivore's Dilemna.

I can never get my hands on Alan Aragon's/Lyle's stuff since nobody in Canada carries it. I usually just get my stuff from the library/local bookstores :S