Wisdom teeth removal

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
If you have had your wisdom teeth removed, I have a few questions. Did they put you under(general anesthesia), or just give you local anesthesia? How long were your gums/jaw sore for? What were you capable of eating in the days following your surgery? How long til you were fully recovered? Anything else that you'd like to add, please do. Thanks.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I was given a general because they removed all 4 at the same time. One moment I'm counting down from 10, next thing I know I'm in a wheelchair and I'm making race car noises.

I forget how long I was sore, but I was bleeding for a few days. I really started to hate gauze.

Protien shakes are your friend, as is fiber. I think I was back on solid foods after 4 days. This was over 5 years ago so I could be wrong.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
The dentist pulled all 4 of mine at once.

He used gas and local shots for anesthetic. I was totally aware and awake during the procedure, which is not all that long.

Expect to get about a weeks worth of pain meds, probably vicodin, and you will need them (especially during the first few days). I didn't eat anything solid for about 4-5 days, and you can't use a straw either.

The procedure is a short term pain in the ass, but it is worth it. A friend of mine didn't have his wisdom teeth removed and they grew into his back teeth and destroyed them. His back teeth are all broken up, and his wisdom teeth are all screwy. He is only 26 and his teeth are already all messed up.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
i got all 4 pulled at once too. i was put under, local anasthesia, laughing gas (i think), etc. all at once. they have you so drugged up during and immediately after you don't realize the pain til it wears off. i was lucky enough to get like 80 7.5 mg vicodin altogether for afterwards. first few days the pain was somewhat bad, and a few days after it was more so just an annoying little pain. no solid food for 4 or 5 days I believe, just a lot of ice cream and shakes for me. i think i was back to normal in about 7 or 8 days, if you do MMA my guess is that will be put off a little longer obviously. good luck with it, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i got all 4 pulled while in boot camp.
yeah that sucked.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I had 4 surgical removed. IV valium, 10, 9, 8...woke up with the most extreme swollen dry mouth with a cup of water just barely within reach. I was eating in 2 days.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the responses, sounds like I'm gonna have some fun.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck brother man! :drunk:

It'll be worth it in the end alex.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Good luck brother man! :drunk:

It'll be worth it in the end alex.
Thanks. They fit just fine, I could probably have like 3 sets back there, but they get cavities easily, so I figure I should just have em yanked.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks. They fit just fine, I could probably have like 3 sets back there, but they get cavities easily, so I figure I should just have em yanked.
Yeah probably for the best in the end. At least you'll get some nice pain meds alex. ;)

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I had it done the uppers done when I was 18 or so. They were bothering me. Local injections only. Discomfort for a few days. They left the lowers, they hadn't really formed yet. At 21, they formed and I had to get them pulled. Once again, injections only... no gas or valium. I was aware. The lowers suck. An assistant has to hold your jaw from moving or else it may break. They used what looked like a sharp pick to tear the gum away and then they broke the teeth with some tool and took it out in pieces. It was disgusting. Get some of those drugs that make you happy if you can.

The uppers were a few days of discomfort, the lowers about a week. I was quite swollen afterwards. The first few days after sucks but the medication helps.

Good to get it out of the way. My mom had this done when she was in her forties. The older you are the harder your gums get, and the longer it takes to heal.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
HA, mine went awesome, if you have a good dentist youll be fine.

All 4 of mine dug/cut out at 16-17yrs old.
Put under, said i was under for an 1 hour.
Mouth was fairly swollen, not much though.
Outta work for 3-4 days since i have a talking/labor job.
No lifting for 5-6.
Stiches disinegrate(sp?) by themselves.
Lost 8lbs casue i dint eat.
Used 1/2 a vicaden(sp?) to go to sleep, just for fun though.

The key is to ice ice ice form the moment you get home. I had ice, peas, and whatever i could to keep my mouth cold. Just put it on the cheeks. I really htink thats why i was so fine sleeping. 50% of my day was PS2, 25% sleep and the rest trying to eat of general easy activites.

I watched a 6 hours Mike Tyson Special on ESPN when i got mine out..haha it was cool.

Good Luck and dont stress it.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Mine were impacted and required surgical removal. General anesthetic and gas, I was out by 7 I think lol. Ended up getting dry socket in one afterwards and the pain from that was far worse than the normal post op. Had to keep this gauze crap soaked in what smelled like formaldehyde crammed in the sockets for a few days. Nasty smellin breath. Keep those holes rinsed clean!

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Oh yea ^^^ rinseas directed but dont over do it, you dont want the opening to be raw to much. They should give you a list of foods to eat and not eat also, as if youll have choices. ha.

I had gause in for the 1st day and 1/2. then i only kept a small amount in to keep the cuts from touching anything/eachother....

NOTE! DO BE VERY VERY CAREFULL WHILE EATING AND GENERAL NOT HAVING GAUSE IN! It hurts and isnt good if the cuts touch. duh right...

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
If you have had your wisdom teeth removed, I have a few questions. Did they put you under(general anesthesia), or just give you local anesthesia? How long were your gums/jaw sore for? What were you capable of eating in the days following your surgery? How long til you were fully recovered? Anything else that you'd like to add, please do. Thanks.
Dont get punched in the mouth for at least 2 weeks! haha

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
Ended up getting dry socket in one afterwards and the pain from that was far worse than the normal post op.
Oh LORD don't remind me about that!

I got all 4 of mine out at 16-17. Bottom two were impacted deep in there, had to be removed in pieces. I was first given laughing gas, then an IV of probably something to knock me out. After waking up, and for the rest of the day until the next morning, my jaw/mouth was completely numb. Got 1 week worth of perc's, but ended up getting another 1 1/2 weeks worth after getting dry socket.

Please please please learn from my mistake and do NOT use a straw to drink out of OR eat solid foods for at LEAST 5 days - a week even if you feel ok. The perc's made me feel fine (and loopy, thought I was ok since i felt no pain @ 3 days after). I ended up with dry socket infection, and the next day my jaw felt about the size of my head, and I did not get a wink of sleep. 3 perc's at a time didn't even help it, but getting the bottom sites cleaned out by the dentist IMMEDIATELY made it feel better.

I wouldn't wish dry socket infection on anyone!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the replies. You guys are starting to scare me a little. I had a friend get them out and he only had local anesthesia and was eating a burger the next day. I have a feeling my experience will be closer to most of yours, minus the dry socket, I hope.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for all the replies. You guys are starting to scare me a little. I had a friend get them out and he only had local anesthesia and was eating a burger the next day. I have a feeling my experience will be closer to most of yours, minus the dry socket, I hope.
Alex, being a medical professional myself i can tell you that every experience is different. With any medical procedure, people will have their good and bad experiences. Please don't let that discourage your decision. I would go into this with a positive attitude keeping in mind the many long term benefits of the procedure. Some dentists/oral surgeons will offer good conscious sedation or general anesthesia for the procedure. Do some good reseach man and you can come away here with minimal fears/side effects. Good luck man!! :drunk:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Alex, being a medical professional myself i can tell you that every experience is different. With any medical procedure, people will have their good and bad experiences. Please don't let that discourage your decision. I would go into this with a positive attitude keeping in mind the many long term benefits of the procedure. Some dentists/oral surgeons will offer good conscious sedation or general anesthesia for the procedure. Do some good reseach man and you can come away here with minimal fears/side effects. Good luck man!! :drunk:
I appreciate that. I've been trying to rep you, but I have to spread first. Thanks to everyone else, I feel much more informed.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I appreciate that. I've been trying to rep you, but I have to spread first. Thanks to everyone else, I feel much more informed.
No problem man. Glad to help bro!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Had it done not long ago. General for me too because I had to have all 4 cut out.. After they shot it into my veins I remember wondering when it was going to start working and if I would feel it, well, next thing I know I'm awake and talking to anyone who will listen.. Mouth was dry, bled all night, didn't take any pain meds for the first 3 days.. Didn't really think I needed them... I was wrong, they made SOOO much of a difference..

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
I hope it didn't scare you too much. Just take the proper precautions with food/liquid selection, and keep the site clean of debris. Even after having dry socket, i'd still go through with it again.

Don't let that scare you!

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I think T1 is right. Everyone is different, i considered myself lucky to be how i was. No pain meds except when i got curious one night. Slept fine. etc...
My sister got her out and she was a mess and always in pain she said etc.

I think being "healthy" living yur body may be able to bounce backa bit better. I know i made sure i ate very healthy the week or 2 prior, i wasnt really into lifitng yet so i was generally an "unhealthy" person.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I had all 4 done at once. They put me under. It was very fast, "Count to 10" ... next thing I know they were walking me to the 'recovery room'.

The subsequent pain after that was hard. I figured I would party with the pain pills the first few days and then "tough it out with aspirin" afterwards. I ended up having to call for a refill of my percocets because the pain was too unbearable.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I ended up getting all 4 dug out. I don't like being KO'd, so I went with local and an IV painkiller. The surgery was a breeze, but it hurt afterward pretty bad. My new question is how long did the swelling last for you guys? I look like Tito Ortiz/The Elephant Man.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I remember when I got mine removed, about 17 years ago...They took all of them out, four. Anyway they put me completely asleep. I woke up with gauze in my mouth, kept bleeding for a while, a few days I think. I would just keep going into the bathroom and opening my mouth watching the blood dump out. Then of course I would change the gauze. Really I don't remember what I ate, I think soup mostly. Took about 2 weeks I think to fully recover.

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
sorry u gotta go thru this bro.. they put me under general anesthesia..u dont remember shytt.. u wake up and ur mouth is sore for two days, gauze is a bittchh it should stop bleeding by the second day..good luck

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
I believe my swelling was gone in a day or two, with the pain lingering a few days after. hope everything turns out well, just keep it clean so it doesn't get infected, that makes recovery way longer

jpfeiffer

Awards
i had all four removed, two were impacted. didnt really hurt terribly and was eating solid foods the same day, everybody handle it alittle different... but i still ate all my vicodins