Does this make me a hypocrite?

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I HATE GNC. :saw: I find them overpriced and most of my experience there is quite craptacular. Nothing like taking nutritional advice from fat guys/girls that probably don't know a gym from Jim.

But I also reeeeeeeeeeally need a job. My local GNC is hiring for a manager. I could do it without trying...I have managers experience and been in the bodybuilding/supplement lifestyle for 13-14 years. I'm also a certified trainer and nutritional advisor.

I'd be the guy everyone comes to because I walk the walk and talk the talk.

But would I be selling out?

I know they get big commissions off MuscleTech and there's no way in hell I could endorse that in good conscience no matter the commission I'd get.

But then again maybe I could change the local GNC around and give it a good rep. But then maybe since I will be honost with customers instead of pressure selling maybe the area manager won't like me...you know quantity sales over quality sales.

It's not a "career" by any means, just something to pay bills while I finish my business degree (about a year).

Opinions?

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established
"To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf, and it takes a wolf to catch a wolf."

It isn't quite selling out as long as you stay true to your roots. Selling out would be being pro-life then getting a job at an abortion clinic. Or spend your career taking down prostitution rings and then get caught up in a high-price prostitution ring.

-TF

the Cardinal

Awards
I HATE GNC. :saw: I find them overpriced and most of my experience there is quite craptacular. Nothing like taking nutritional advice from fat guys/girls that probably don't know a gym from Jim.

But I also reeeeeeeeeeally need a job. My local GNC is hiring for a manager. I could do it without trying...I have managers experience and been in the bodybuilding/supplement lifestyle for 13-14 years. I'm also a certified trainer and nutritional advisor.

I'd be the guy everyone comes to because I walk the walk and talk the talk.

But would I be selling out?

I know they get big commissions off MuscleTech and there's no way in hell I could endorse that in good conscience no matter the commission I'd get.

But then again maybe I could change the local GNC around and give it a good rep. But then maybe since I will be honost with customers instead of pressure selling maybe the area manager won't like me...you know quantity sales over quality sales.

It's not a "career" by any means, just something to pay bills while I finish my business degree (about a year).

Opinions?
Maybe, but I think there are more pertinent questions you should ask of yourself. For instance:

1. Do you believe in the general concept of using nutritional supplements?

2. Do you believe in basic capitalism - i.e., a company has the right to make money on the legal goods and services it sells?

3. Will you be the kind of employee you would want to employ, regardless of your personal opinions?

4. Can you do your job to the best of your ability without openly critcizing your employer?

If the answer to all of these is "yes," then go for it. Who knows? If you eventually work for the company, your ideas about it may (or may not) evolve.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
1. Do you believe in the general concept of using nutritional supplements?

2. Do you believe in basic capitalism - i.e., a company has the right to make money on the legal goods and services it sells?

3. Will you be the kind of employee you would want to employ, regardless of your personal opinions?

4. Can you do your job to the best of your ability without openly critcizing your employer?

If the answer to all of these is "yes," then go for it. Who knows? If you eventually work for the company, your ideas about it may (or may not) evolve.
1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. I kick ass. :head: :lol:

4. Openly as in being in front of customers, yes. But I am willing to let whoever is "over" me know when I think something is a bad idea.

My problem is I am customer and quality minded...not sales minded. I'm not going to push you to buy product X just because the store get's a kickback or I get commission. I'm more likely to point product Y out because either I have had results or people I know and trust have. I'm out to help educate people in making informed buying decisions in order to be the best they can be , not just make money. In my view if the quality goods and service are there, the money will follow.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I dont think its selling out... GNC isnt an evil company...are their prices higher.. sure.. but so are most things at retail stores.

And from what Ive heard.. a lot of people come into GNC LOOKING for MT products.. so if someone is already interested.. sure you can tell them about a different product, but Id guess that the advertising already has them sold on the MT.

I think it would be selling out if you started working for a doughnut company or a company that was anti-health.

also put it this way... a lot of people go into GNC and get mis-informed by employees who know less than you... YOU, on the otherhand, can give quality feedback.

ALSO, if you dont want to push MT products.. dont.. i guarantee that GNC makes higher margins on the multi-vitamins, and 'staple' products. You could make the company a killing by pitching MORE than just ONE product... plus then your helping people even more. i guarantee most employees dont know enough about the 'staple' products to push them into easy add-ons.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
also put it this way... a lot of people go into GNC and get mis-informed by employees who know less than you... YOU, on the otherhand, can give quality feedback.

ALSO, if you dont want to push MT products.. dont.. i guarantee that GNC makes higher margins on the multi-vitamins, and 'staple' products. You could make the company a killing by pitching MORE than just ONE product... plus then your helping people even more. i guarantee most employees dont know enough about the 'staple' products to push them into easy add-ons.
That is 100% true...we've had the GNC here about 20 years and I've only known 2 employees that knew the deal. One was a fitness competitor named Diane (she was cool as hell and guys would walk by and drool) and another was my training partner PJ...he wanted to compete but joined the Navy.

I was actually in there once and a old man was looking for vitamins for his wife. The unknown female employee handed him some and he was reading the label as saw it had guana standardized for caffine. He said his wife had a stroke and high BP and culdn't have caffine and this stupid ***** said it was "natural" caffine and didn't count :blink: I had to step up and help the old guy out before that idiot killed the guys wife!!!!

So maybe I will go for it...

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was a GNC manager for a while, back in the late 90s-early 2000. I am sure someone else here will admit to such a sin, but here's my $.02....

Unfortunately I was good at what I did, and got suckered into becoming SSM, the regional manager so to speak, meaning I was responsible for a bunch of under-performing crappy stores. I should have remained a manager at my nice little mall store. I was lucky enough to have a BB-focused store, whereas some others were more "earthy-crunchy" with herbal themes and whatnot.

In hindsight...

Find out what kind of floor traffic they get on Gold Card days. That is when you will make your money, known as "PMs", which are like a small commission on certain products. Some stores in sleepy little towns, the employees could work open to close on GC day and only make $50 in PMs. While other stores, like a particular one in a well-to-do mall right outside Boston, the employees had to be limited in the hours they could work on GC day because one could easily make over $1000 an hour in PMs and the employees were almost fistfighting for more hours. It all really mattered on location, as far as what I observed.

Yes it will eventually kill you if your store is dirty or disorganized...even the scumbags notice it after a while. Yes it will help to hire people who at least have some clue what they are talking about.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I say go for it. All of the reasons have been accounted for, the only reason not to would be if they were to pressure you in to selling inferior products for the sake of their numbers. And even then, this is a capitalist country.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
SHOOT! You better get that money! Im sayin, its a job. Big deal. Buy from NP when you buy unless GNC has something you need quick and i hear you get a sic discount. Push products to make the sales. Who care, youre not the one taking them. Everyonce in a while, slip a "Serious" looking lifter an NP card/ AM site listing, let them learn like we all have.

Im applying at GNC tomorrow i think. I did it online but you gotta put a resume in and i dont have one and i think mine was made like garbage.

Do it...DO IT.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I actually did go ahead and put in for it, I figured it's a job and I know I can do really well at it.

This particular GNC is the only one for 40 miles or so...serious. I know of 2 other supplement places in the county and both of them are mom and pops with very small selection.

This GNC isn't dirty or disorganized (from the outside, it may be internally if you know what I mean). It's just there hasn't been anyone there that impresses me for 6-7 years. I don't think they hire from people applying to them per say, more they hire from people that apply to the mall in general.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
It wouldn't be the first time someone has gotten a job at a place they dont like LOL

Go for it!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established

Attachments

AaronTech

Awards
We have a similar mindset, and I'm kinda in the same position as you...lol

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I applied...just waiting...

I'm probably over-qualified!

:bow28:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf, and it takes a wolf to catch a wolf."

It isn't quite selling out as long as you stay true to your roots. Selling out would be being pro-life then getting a job at an abortion clinic. Or spend your career taking down prostitution rings and then get caught up in a high-price prostitution ring.

-TF
There's no way I can let this underrated joke go unnoticed.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Let me spin this nicely for you to put your mind at ease:

One of the biggest problems our society faces is lack of exercise and nutrition (or at least is a concern on the forefront of our minds).

Do you have to convince anyone on this board to exercise and eat right? No - we are not the problem here. The problem people are the informed people - the people that do not know where to go or look for advice. The people who will be OVERWHELMED and intimidated if they came to this site with no prior knowledge.

Ask your next door neighbor, a fat teacher and a couple other people who do NOT appear to be health conscious if they know about this website, or any of the recommended popular online nutrition sites or other places with better prices. I doubt they can list 1.

BUT - I bet a handful of these people know about GNC.

Therefore, when one of these people decide to try to take a step towards a healthier lifestyle, GNC is likely one of their first thoughts to go. First impressions mean a lot. You can turn them off of supplements forever and send them on the path towards the couch and potato chips. OR - they can feel safe from the knowledge of a GNC employee and continue on their path to better living. EVENTUALLY, they may progress past this phase and research even further into this area....coming across sites like this and online nutrition sites, etc.

You can be one of those people that changes these people's lives. Everybody starts somewhere, and GNC is a very common place to start.

Some people bashed Bill Philips and his EAS "Body-for-Life" program. I loved it. I'm not saying it was the best thing for advanced bodybuilders, but it was one of the most socially accepted programs geared towards exercise and nutrition that motivated the GENERAL population to better themselves. I was a freak at work when I made my protein shakes. Then one day I decided to say it was a shake for Body-for-Life (because I knew some other ppl there just started it). All of a sudden - it was totally accepted and normal for me to have a shake.

Think of GNC as the "gateway" store, lol. We all know we start with pot, but then we learn about the better drugs and start hitting the hard stuff....wait....maybe that's a bad example, lol :p

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
^^^^^^^ very well said.

first place i ever bought supps was from GNC bc i didnt know better.. its a good starting point. ive been to the GNC franchise show before for PAL.. believe me.. they are a great company. but if you can have high prices..and people are willing to pay those prices... then what wrong are you doing? they aren't ripping people off.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Some people bashed Bill Philips and his EAS "Body-for-Life" program. I loved it. I'm not saying it was the best thing for advanced bodybuilders, but it was one of the most socially accepted programs geared towards exercise and nutrition that motivated the GENERAL population to better themselves.
Ironically, Bill is the one that got me interested in BBing back in 95-96.

Double irony, my wife distributes Shawn's new products and she told his rep how I was inspired by him and Bill...I got free stuff! :)

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
just politely and enthusiastically urge people to read the labels carefully. 'GNC sells this for that because ingredient X supposedly works'. A smart consumer will put down the expensive muscletech crap and go for something else, yet you never actively discouraged them away from GNC product so you managers can't say jack, and the customers will like you, which your boss will notice.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
methusaleh, whats the hourly pay for manager? How about asst. manager?

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I'm still awaiting "the call":yawn:

I'm also still thinking I'm over qualified. Not that I'm cocky or anything, more like, as I've said, they're not exactly the most knowledgable bunch. Someone like me would make the rest of management look bad since their shortcomings would become noticable. That's actually my wife's opinion as well.

I know they havn't been inundated with people more experienced.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Granted this was 8 years ago, but the pay was pretty lousy, something like $8/hour plus "PMs" for managers. Not sure about assistant managers. To get an assistant manager position, IIRC a store needed to meet or exceed $10K in sales for 52 weeks straight. I never had a store that was that strong to call my own, though a few in my area were.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Eh...maybe that's why they havn't called. It's for asst manager and I put down I wanted $10/hr.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sunder pounded the nail on the head.

GNC was my gateway drug to supps in high school. There was this guy Brandon who worked there who set me straight.

Go be the "Brandon" for a new generation.