My Sweet New Job --- In Alaska!!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
So I was surfing the net when I came across a job opening for an upscale resort in Alaska that had a job opening. They're only open from May to September, and since I'm outta school during that time, I figured what the heck. So I applied. Well a few days went by and then they called me for an interview. Then today they called back and told me I was hired! So now instead of spending my summer in some bookstore down here in TN, I get to go up to Alaska and do a really cool job at this resort. Plus on my off days I can hike Mt. McKinley, go fishing, or spend some time in Anchorage. The resort is extremely nice and very secluded (can only be reached by floatplane), So I'll really have a great chance of focusing on exercising and eating healthy (no fast food for miles :)) Plus the chefs that work at the resort are Culinary Masters. So hopefully when September rolls around I'll be in sweet shape. With no tv, cars, internet, or junk food - I better be smokin' hot towards the end!

Sorry for the Rant. I just had to share my good news to someone!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Do they have a sweet exercise facility?

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Do they have a sweet exercise facility?
They do, and they have steam rooms/saunas. Oh and theres always the mountains to climb and rivers to swim. Think I got the exercise section covered pretty well :)

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like heaven then.. Congrats!

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Nice man, Alaska is an awesome place, especially if you're the outdoorsy type. Good luck, and have fun! Just watch out for all of the drunk natives.

Your diet is mainly going to consist of seafood, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but I loved eating salmon every day.

Are they still hiring????

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Nice man, Alaska is an awesome place, especially if you're the outdoorsy type. Good luck, and have fun! Just watch out for all of the drunk natives.

Your diet is mainly going to consist of seafood, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but I loved eating salmon every day.

Are they still hiring????
I'm not sure if they are or not. And as for the food, I'm a vegetarian, but I'm gonna try and be okay with eating fish by the time I leave to go up there. That way I can enjoy what everyone else is too! It's gonna be a rockin' summer! :head:

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
what will you be doing?
Mostly maintenance shop type stuff. Lawncare, working on the onsite vehicles. Help unload the floatplane when it delivers food/luggage/stuff from Anchorage. I may even help out in the Kitchen every now and then. I really don't care what I end up doing, I'm just greatful for the chance to experience Alaska for pretty much free. I don't have to pay for food or rent. The only chance I'll have to spend money is when I go to Anchorage. So It should be a physical and financial blessing.

These next 2 months better fly by! I'm dieing to get up there!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
So are there any eskimos that frequent our beloved AM? If so, I'd greatly appreciate any advice or tips! Thats a state I've never been to, or had ever really planned on visiting. Any advice will be appreciated (and repped) :D

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So I was surfing the net when I came across a job opening for an upscale resort in Alaska that had a job opening. They're only open from May to September, and since I'm outta school during that time, I figured what the heck. So I applied. Well a few days went by and then they called me for an interview. Then today they called back and told me I was hired! So now instead of spending my summer in some bookstore down here in TN, I get to go up to Alaska and do a really cool job at this resort. Plus on my off days I can hike Mt. McKinley, go fishing, or spend some time in Anchorage. The resort is extremely nice and very secluded (can only be reached by floatplane), So I'll really have a great chance of focusing on exercising and eating healthy (no fast food for miles :)) Plus the chefs that work at the resort are Culinary Masters. So hopefully when September rolls around I'll be in sweet shape. With no tv, cars, internet, or junk food - I better be smokin' hot towards the end!

Sorry for the Rant. I just had to share my good news to someone!
how is the pay?

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Well done man! I've done resort style work before in France for 6 months. Its great to get away from normal civilization for a few months. Just relax and enjoy the great outdoors cos you'l probably never go back there again regardless of how much you like it.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
how is the pay?
It's alright. I think its somewhere around 2500-3000 a month. But its all purely income (nothing to pay for up there) It's a fair trade for the chance for this experience.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Well done man! I've done resort style work before in France for 6 months. Its great to get away from normal civilization for a few months. Just relax and enjoy the great outdoors cos you'l probably never go back there again regardless of how much you like it.
Thanks man, I'm really excited about this. Plus the lady that hired me said that a lot of their employees actually return every year, so who knows, if I really like it I may make it a permanent summer thing.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Congrats I envy your chance to get away.
Thanks! I'm gonna miss my AM family (no internet up there), but hopefully with all that fresh air, good exercise, and constant diet of fish I'll finally fit in with this group. :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not exactly great male:female ratios either.

But when salmon season starts mid june, damn will that be nice. Copper river sockeye is my favorite.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
not exactly great male:female ratios either.

But when salmon season starts mid june, damn will that be nice. Copper river sockeye is my favorite.
Eh... I'm not too worried about the guy/girl ratio. In fact, I'll be able to concentrate much harder on things like exercise/diet/working hard without distractions (aka chicks). But if I get super needy I can always use one of my days off the hit up a bar in Anchorage. :D

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
send me the link, would ya? I might could apply too.
I know a couple of guys that worked in construction there for a summer, and make a killing.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
So basically from May till September we can talk about you and you'll never know? Nice:D

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
So is your ninja outfit getting packing in your carryon or in your regular luggage?

Don't forget your inner ninja. Awesome opportunity. Wish I'd thought of that instead of summer school.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
So is your ninja outfit getting packing in your carryon or in your regular luggage?

Don't forget your inner ninja. Awesome opportunity. Wish I'd thought of that instead of summer school.
Dude, I'm wearing my ninja outfit on the plane!! (minus the nunchucks - pretty sure that would be bad :)) Yeah, I was thinking about summer school, but then this came up, so...... screw a summer of reading and tests, I'm going to Alaska!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Dude, I'm wearing my ninja outfit on the plane!! (minus the nunchucks - pretty sure that would be bad :)) Yeah, I was thinking about summer school, but then this came up, so...... screw a summer of reading and tests, I'm going to Alaska!
Have fun buddy. I would post some Jack Nicholson from The Shining picture, but you're gonna have a blast no doubt!

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
HB is goin to have AM withdrawls...hahaha

This sounds pretty sic though man, great way to live life take advantage of these opportunities if youre able too.

Just hope youll come back....no internet. I think i would cry, no joke. The internet is half my life.

PS- not to absolutley freak the heck outta ya, but first thing i thought of...30 Days of night. Not even sure if it was alaska but none-the less.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
PS- not to absolutley freak the heck outta ya, but first thing i thought of...30 Days of night. Not even sure if it was alaska but none-the less.
It was.

AM07

Awards
  • Established

This sounds pretty sic though man, great way to live life take advantage of these opportunities if youre able too.

Just hope youll come back....no internet. I think i would cry, no joke. The internet is half my life.

Speaking of which, I just finished the movie 20 minutes ago. Very good vampire film, it's been a long time since a good one has come out.

It takes place in Barrow, Alaska.

The first thing I thought of when I read this thread was the Overlook Hotel. "ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY"

I hope we don't hear about Hurleyboy going psycho after being up there for 3 months with no access to the outside world :run:

But at least he'll have contact with other people. Are the employees that work there young such as yourself, or older? Any fine young hos going to be working there?

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Eh... I'm not too worried about the guy/girl ratio. In fact, I'll be able to concentrate much harder on things like exercise/diet/working hard without distractions (aka chicks). But if I get super needy I can always use one of my days off the hit up a bar in Anchorage. :D
Mate it will probably be even easier to pick up the ladies up there then it is where ever you live. Always young smoking hot women doing those resort style jobs. Speaking from experience here. Your in for a treat.

Is Alaska one of those places with 24 sunlight in the summer? I have a mate living in Iceland at the moment and he's doing mountain hikes at 3am and all sorts of weird sh1t.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Warning dorky suggestion to follow. I had an isolationist type summer during college many moons ago...it was great. I would recommend bringing your text books for the fall semester up there with you. When you get back you will have an easy go of the fall semester. I finished college quickly without any summer school, but I took a ton of hours while I was in and studied during the summer. You still get the time of to do something you want, but you can still shorten your overall time in college...sorry, I am a dork.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I would get the job for 10$ an hour! Pay is nothing if you like what you're doing! Congrats!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established

Lol, I actually thought about that too. But I'm going during the summer and that was at winter time so I think I'm safe from vampires :) And I'll definitely be back. I plan on working really hard while out there, so hopefully I'll come back ripped and I can get on AM and brag!

Mate it will probably be even easier to pick up the ladies up there then it is where ever you live. Always young smoking hot women doing those resort style jobs. Speaking from experience here. Your in for a treat.

Is Alaska one of those places with 24 sunlight in the summer? I have a mate living in Iceland at the moment and he's doing mountain hikes at 3am and all sorts of weird sh1t.
Yeah, I expect that some of those chicks are gonna be just as "action" deprived as me, so maybe we can help each other out. :D Plus there's gonna be people coming to stay, so maybe they'll bring their daughters. And for the day/night times, I'm pretty sure during the summer there's daytime and nighttime like everywhere else.

Warning dorky suggestion to follow. I had an isolationist type summer during college many moons ago...it was great. I would recommend bringing your text books for the fall semester up there with you. When you get back you will have an easy go of the fall semester. I finished college quickly without any summer school, but I took a ton of hours while I was in and studied during the summer. You still get the time of to do something you want, but you can still shorten your overall time in college...sorry, I am a dork.
Yes, that sounds dorky - but I may do it. It'd be great to get a jump start on some of my classes so I can enter the program with superior knowledge.

But at least he'll have contact with other people. Are the employees that work there young such as yourself, or older? Any fine young hos going to be working there?
I'm not sure of the ages, but all the housekeepers are chicks, so there'll have to be at least one that looks good. Actually, the chick that hired me is pretty attractive, but she's married :(

I would get the job for 10$ an hour! Pay is nothing if you like what you're doing! Congrats!
Thanks man! I agree, the money isn't the first attraction about this job, it's the fact that I get to spend the summer in Alaska!