Health Administration

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
anyone work in this field? whats your job and do you like it? im about half way finished with my business administration degree but my heart really lies in the health/fitness/medical/nutrition fields, health administration requires many of the business classes i have and it seems more interesting to me then just a very general business degree. i love exercise science/physiology but the world only needs so many personal trainers and graduate programs for physical therapy only accept like the top 3% of the class. just looking for some feed back in this area, or if anyone else is majoring or works in this or something similar.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't do it heebs......trust me.....

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
ahh dam.....now i really dont know what to do. im assuming you work in this field trauma, what do you wish you had went into instead? any other ideas of careers in any related fields that arent the extremely popular ones?

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Heads of hospitals make bank, even more than the MDs. But it requires a lot of work and politics to get to that position.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
this is true but it would take a long to to get promoted to a position like this. thanks for the input though.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
this is true but it would take a long to to get promoted to a position like this. thanks for the input though.
This is a good thread bro. I am interested in hearing opinions also. I am currently considering a career change and it is really so hard to try to find something that is a good fit and really follows your heart but still has the hope somewhere down the line that you can make bank.

My current career I could make some bank but that assumes I don't kill myself first. :rasp:

Mr.50

AM07

Awards
  • Established
True, it would take a long time to become a hospital CEO, and I'm not quite sure of the path to take to become one, but I do know they make tons of money. It may take a couple decades to get to that position, but when you do, you won't regret it.

Here's a Q & A from a blog I sometimes read.

Q. How to become a Hospital CEO ?

A. That's a tough question simply because there is no fixed career track or pathway that makes a person a Hospital CEO. Education wise management degrees like Masters in Health Administration (MHA), Hospital MBA or even plain MBAs are certainly a good start. After that most people climb the rungs of the corporate ladder through various positions, experiences, networking, political savvyness, personality and current knowledge of course! At times you may get lucky like my MHA classmate who landed his first job as the CEO of a very small, rural hospital right after completing an MHA :)
But, to get those high 6-figure salaries, its gonna be a long way to go and keeping tabs on the latest hospital and medical care market trends. Being a member of the networking organizations like Americal College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) and Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) is highly recommended.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
bump.......anyone one else have any input?