Gas Prices

slanginweight

Awards
Just read new article on yahoo, and they're expecting gas prices to rise to average around 3.75gal. that means that some of us will be paying 4.00 gal or maybe more.. its absolutely rediculous. I think that these oil companies see us finding an alternative fuel situation or creeping more toward hybrids and see that their profits will then take a hit, so they're "milking the cow" for all its worth while its still alive. such a dirtbag move. oil companies and politics make me sick. well, now that i have some anger built up, i'm going to go use it in a positive way, and go murder my bi's and tri's...

LaGrange26

LaGrange26

Awards
hey man what ever you need for some motivation. These gas prices are killer I drive a little 93' Dodge Neon and im feeling it at the pump. I could just amgain how the Ford f250 are feeling

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
i heard they will be 4/gal by the summr and will never go down to 3 again.

time to trade your suv's in

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Just read new article on yahoo, and they're expecting gas prices to rise to average around 3.75gal. that means that some of us will be paying 4.00 gal or maybe more.. its absolutely rediculous. I think that these oil companies see us finding an alternative fuel situation or creeping more toward hybrids and see that their profits will then take a hit, so they're "milking the cow" for all its worth while its still alive. such a dirtbag move. oil companies and politics make me sick. well, now that i have some anger built up, i'm going to go use it in a positive way, and go murder my bi's and tri's...
then do the smart thing... gas companies sell stock. a wise investor might see it as an opportunity. we can all sit here and complain about gas prices, but it will never change a thing

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
The weird thing is I'm studying this in Micro-economics now. That, along with other things I've found out over the last few months, has altered my thinking somewhat.

* My textbook was written 4 years ago when US gas prices were just over $2....prices in England were $5 and Germany was $6. It's not just "gas companies" either. The government taxes gas in order to try to curb it's use to prevent pollution. The same theory is used on cigarette tax...we'll just keeping adding taxes on it and less people will do it.

* The price isn't from shortage. We have several untapped reserves in the US...we just don't use them. We just found several hundred trillion gallons in N. Dakota. We have enough untapped crude in Alaska to last a hundred years or so. We dont tap it due to the environment.

* Another "blame" is the lack of refineries in the US. It takes approx. 10 years to build one. A refinery hasn't been built in the US since the late 70"s ...didn't we have a "crisis" then too (even though it was for completely different reasons)? So much for using foresight. There was actualy a scientist in the 60's that predicted the 70's crsis and said it would get better until the 21st century...looks like he was right, too bad no one listened.

* Refineries bring up another issue. Due to our ever increasing "emission standards" the crude must undergo a costly refining process and the cost gets passed on to the consumer.

* Alternate energy sources :rolleyes: No feasable with our current technology. Maybe...just maybe...in 20 years or so. The amount of energy it takes to produce the energy from hydrogen to drive is very inefficient. Electric car's take dozens of batteries and need constant recharging. Ethanol...lol...yeah, lets tap into our food supply.:rolleyes: The increased demand for corn/wheat will increase the price. Not only do we eat it, so do livestock. Again, all the increased prices will hit the consumer.

* A good alternative for utilities is nuclear, but again "environmental issues" :rolleyes:

Here's a great documentary if you have 90 minutes to kill http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-703701197044020456&q=crude+awakening&total=199&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
My theory is this:

The USA plans to run the rest of the world DRY. Which will destroy the middle east's economy, and leave us with a monopoly on oil. We will then be one of the last places with suitable oil reserves, which will then allow us to again, regain control as the super-power. When the rest of the world run's dry, gov't wont blink twice at the environment to get that black gold flowing.

I think we need to rely on foreign oil as long as possible... its worth the extra $$ to keep our own reserves healthy

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Does that mean Ford Motors will finally be out of business ? :head:

They've been the bastard child in automobiles for way too long. Maybe the gas prices will finally take them out.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
My theory is this:

The USA plans to run the rest of the world DRY. Which will destroy the middle east's economy, and leave us with a monopoly on oil. We will then be one of the last places with suitable oil reserves, which will then allow us to again, regain control as the super-power. When the rest of the world run's dry, gov't wont blink twice at the environment to get that black gold flowing.

I think we need to rely on foreign oil as long as possible... its worth the extra $$ to keep our own reserves healthy

USA with a monopoly on oil ? I think that is an inaccurate statement.

Unless we control all oil reserves (which will never happen), it is impossible for the USA to have full control of all oil.

EDIT: I just re-read your statement. That is a bunch of crazy talk. If anyone runs the world dry of oil, it'll be China, not the USA.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
EDIT: I just re-read your statement. That is a bunch of crazy talk. If anyone runs the world dry of oil, it'll be China, not the USA.
Ha crazy talk? well im not basing a thesis statement on it.. just my idea

I didnt say we will run the world dry... Im just saying that we are keeping our oil reserves for when the middle east runs dry

why havent we tapped our own oil reserves? we have a healthy supply still in the ground. when the world runs dry on oil, the few places that have oil left in the ground will be economic powerhouses

maybe im completely wrong.. again... just an idea.. but it would make sense..

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
My theory is this:

Didnt you know teh middle east is the new place to be?? it will never run dry and the US will never be this super power you speak of.

Like Bigrob said, gas prices in the US are sooo much cheaper then UK,Europe, Australia etc so stop your whining.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Didnt you know teh middle east is the new place to be?? it will never run dry and the US will never be this super power you speak of.

Like Bigrob said, gas prices in the US are sooo much cheaper then UK,Europe, Australia etc so stop your whining.
We can whine because it is America. Whining in America isn't a priviledge, its a RIGHT. LOL.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established

ha really? never? strong words.

and im not whining.. i will never complain about gas prices... because when you consider a bottle of water costs $2.. gas is a deal at $3.50. people complain about gas prices, but then blow their money on useless things. i dont whine about what i cannot control

im not saying my theory will pan out in the next 2-3 years.. im talking 15-20 years in the future. the Mid east WILL run dry eventually, as will every other oil field in the world as long as we continue to consume oil..

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Ha crazy talk? well im not basing a thesis statement on it.. just my idea

I didnt say we will run the world dry... Im just saying that we are keeping our oil reserves for when the middle east runs dry

why havent we tapped our own oil reserves? we have a healthy supply still in the ground. when the world runs dry on oil, the few places that have oil left in the ground will be economic powerhouses

maybe im completely wrong.. again... just an idea.. but it would make sense..

We do have oil reserves in the US. However, our own reserves are not substantial to supply the demand in the US. This forces us to resort to the middle east primarly. There are a few places other than the middle east that we can get oil from, but the majority comes from them.

It is scary in a sense that the US is so dependent on the oil in the middle east.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Gas prices may be more expensive in Europe, but the Euro goes further than the American dollar. It is all relative.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
ha really? never? strong words.

and im not whining.. i will never complain about gas prices... because when you consider a bottle of water costs $2.. gas is a deal at $3.50. people complain about gas prices, but then blow their money on useless things. i dont whine about what i cannot control

im not saying my theory will pan out in the next 2-3 years.. im talking 15-20 years in the future. the Mid east WILL run dry eventually, as will every other oil field in the world as long as we continue to consume oil..
oh well yeah at some point obviously oil will run out and the ice caps will have melted etc but i don't think the world is short oil as much as people think.

Agree with the remark about bottled water. Its ridiculously overpriced and no healthier then tap water.I saw a doco on tv the other day which has a posh London hotel selling bottles water at i think £22/Litre. Thats like $40/Litre, insane.

As frustrating as rising gas prices are when you think about how it has to get from underground in the middle east all the way to your gas station in bumfckville i think the prices are relatively reasonable.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Gas prices may be more expensive in Europe, but the Euro goes further than the American dollar. It is all relative.
Doesnt work that way. When the aussie dollar was only getting me 55c when i went there 5 years ago our petrol prices were still a lot higher then yours. Trust me, you guys got it cheap....................and trust me the USD goes further in the USA then the AUD does in Australia.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
We do have oil reserves in the US. However, our own reserves are not substantial to supply the demand in the US. This forces us to resort to the middle east primarly. There are a few places other than the middle east that we can get oil from, but the majority comes from them.

It is scary in a sense that the US is so dependent on the oil in the middle east.
The United States has the largest known concentration of oil shale in the world, according to the Bureau of Land Management and holds an estimated 800 gigabarrels of recoverable oil, enough to meet U.S. demand for oil at current levels for 110 years.
http://www.answers.com/topic/oil-reserves?cat=biz-fin

And thats not including Alaska and N Dakota. We have it, we just don't tap it because it pisses the moose and polar bears off.

Our dependence on the Middle East, again, lies more in our use of their refinery's as opposed to the raw product. We use their oil because it's easier to refine whats there and ship here as opposed to ship back and forth.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
why did i laugh a gigabarrels.........

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
If people would just conserve then the demand would drop a bit and prices would come down. Honestly, if you don't want to pay $4.00 a gallon then just cut your driving a little bit. If everyone did this the prices would fall.

One of the huge reasons why oil is getting so high is because of investors known as speculators. These speculators get really nervous really easy, a conservation effort would make the investors nervous and they would stop jacking the price of oil so high. It would help if, I don't know, a guy like the President announced a public conservation effort (like that would ever happen, oil companies pay our politicians lots of campaign contributions).

It would also help if our government would stop kowtowing to fascist environmental groups and start drilling for oil off our coast. It would also be nice to build some new oil refineries, some new nuclear plants.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
It would also help if our government would stop kowtowing to fascist environmental groups and start drilling for oil off our coast. It would also be nice to build some new oil refineries, some new nuclear plants.
Now that's what I'm saying. :clap2:

Hey Ausralian made......

gigabarrels
gigabarrels
gigabarrels
gigabarrels
gigabarrels
gigabarrels
gigabarrels

:rofl:

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established
then do the smart thing... gas companies sell stock. a wise investor might see it as an opportunity. we can all sit here and complain about gas prices, but it will never change a thing
Very true my friend. With car manufactures trying to introduce fuel friendly vehicles have no impact on gas prices; in addition, oil manufactures are pulling in record numbers in sales.

-TF

PS

I live on a farm so I just saddle up ol Betsy and ride until the cows come home for just a bag of feed.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
To quote that XFL guy - He Hate Me.

Big Oil employee here.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established

It's our own f*cking fault we are as reliant as we are.

There is crude out out there in the gulf off-shore in FLA. There is crude likely off-shore in the continental shelf.
There is crude in ANWAR.

Our politicians have sided with the greenies (environmentalists) and the NIMBY people (not in my back yard) to ban drilling in every state but Tx/La/Al.

Thank us gulf states - seriously.
The rest of this country b*tches about prices - but does nothing about it.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Russia has LOTS of oil

Uhhh yea. People seem to think that middle east is the main source and in reality they are 3rd. Russia, US then middle east. If not i know there are a few european countries that have alot of reserves too. We get are from middle east cause we have the line and we always have. Russia has alot though, we'll never monopoly the oil. Even if middle east goes dry on us, people will turn to Russia, and help us all if they begin to regain power again....:blink:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
America will ravage the **** out of Alaska before we buy our oil from the ruskies

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
It is interesting how it climbed from $3.30 to $3.50 in a matter of 14 hrs.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I work for an oil distribution company and let me assure you all the cost of gas and oil is going up much higher. We were just given another increase on oil prices and that means everyone will be going up soon. Makes my job hell because no one wants to pay higher prices.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I work for an oil distribution company and let me assure you all the cost of gas and oil is going up much higher. We were just given another increase on oil prices and that means everyone will be going up soon. Makes my job hell because no one wants to pay higher prices.

You know what though ? That's the BEAUTY about gas. It is probably the most sexy inelastic product to date.

If they want to price gouge and charge $10.00/gal people will pay it. It is impossible to find an adequate substitute.

E85/Flex Fuel dosen't count cuz 99% of the cars out there today can't run that stuff.

Even with medication you can buy generic. I honestly believe the only TRUE inelastic product out on the market is gasoline. Hell, the government should just tax the hell out of it, score some extra bucks.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
You know what though ? That's the BEAUTY about gas. It is probably the most sexy inelastic product to date.

If they want to price gouge and charge $10.00/gal people will pay it. It is impossible to find an adequate substitute.

E85/Flex Fuel dosen't count cuz 99% of the cars out there today can't run that stuff.

Even with medication you can buy generic. I honestly believe the only TRUE inelastic product out on the market is gasoline. Hell, the government should just tax the hell out of it, score some extra bucks.
Don't give them any ideas

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
There are a few more Diesels coming into market this/next year.

hopefully americans will embrace this and utilize it. While it does cost about $0.50 more per gallon, a turbo diesel VW will get close to 50mpg.

I dont understand why hybrids are all the talk when diesels out perform them with less technology. In reality, many hybrids only average about 35-45mpg, not the 60mpg that they often advertise... plus hybrids are only economical in city driving.. most rely on gas for highway or steep terrain.

Hybrids are not the answer.. IMO just a cracked stepping stone in the evolution of the automobile. Economically, when you factor in their increased cost + the fact that they need heavy, expensive, and corrosive batteries that must be replaced every few years.. diesel makes more sense for commuter cars. Again... my opinion

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
There are a few more Diesels coming into market this/next year.

hopefully americans will embrace this and utilize it. While it does cost about $0.50 more per gallon, a turbo diesel VW will get close to 50mpg.

I dont understand why hybrids are all the talk when diesels out perform them with less technology. In reality, many hybrids only average about 35-45mpg, not the 60mpg that they often advertise... plus hybrids are only economical in city driving.. most rely on gas for highway or steep terrain.

Hybrids are not the answer.. IMO just a cracked stepping stone in the evolution of the automobile. Economically, when you factor in their increased cost + the fact that they need heavy, expensive, and corrosive batteries that must be replaced every few years.. diesel makes more sense for commuter cars. Again... my opinion

You seen the price of diesel lately?

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
its 50 cents higher a gallon here.

a hybrid costs $5-$8k more
Ya Diesel doesnt seem like much of a deal though either.

You guys can all get used to the days of a cheap oil change. I get amazed at every email I get at work with updates on where the prices of oil are. I then get to let the customers knnow who in turn complain like I have something to do with it. Ahhh thank you Exxon Mobil

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Diesel doesn't seem like a deal when compared to the price per gallon, but you receive MUCH better mileage in a diesel car compared to a gasoline car.

It isn't only gas costs that hurt the American in the pocket, because when gas costs rise, the cost of EVERYTHING rises.

This whole environmental bull**** global warming scare tactic isn't helping with prices either.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Diesel doesn't seem like a deal when compared to the price per gallon, but you receive MUCH better mileage in a diesel car compared to a gasoline car.
well of course... but you get 2x the bang for your buck.

the problem with america and diesel is that most people associate diesel with the smelly, noisy, smoky 1970's diesels that tried to be popular.

the older generations still will not embrace the fuel.

they are making a comeback because younger generations dont remember (or werent around) back then.
plus, diesel engines run for a long time. you can get 200k out of a diesel easily.

I saw something about a car that ran on compressed air. One 3hour home fillup would get you over 100 miles. the italian car sells for about $12k usd. they are small, but emit zero pollutants, and generate air conditioning from the decompressing air. the only limitation was the lack of heat for passenger heating. almost 0 maintenance as well. makes much more sense than fossil fuels.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I actually get a discount of 30 cents on the dollar twice a month on Post because I travel back and forth so much. So I save. Luckily, when I must travel to Fort Bragg, the car is rented and the gas is on the Goverment. Ha-Ha! So when I'm there, all my students ride around with me to save money. LoL!

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Every single vehicle in our fleet at the Fire Department is diesel. We have our own fill tanks that we and the Police Department use. But, it's not that much cheaper than civilian gas prices. I think it's like 10 cent discount for City Goverment.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
My government agency used to have Dodge Caravans that were really old and had tons of miles on them.

They wanted to go 'green' so they replaced all over our Caravans and bought 7 new 2008 Dodge Durangos, BUT they can also run on Flex Fuel......yeah. :blink:

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I love how these companies release these "green" SUVs. How ironic is that, a ****ing green Yukon. You're much more environmentally friendly driving a Honda Civic than that huge piece of ****.

The logic of the American people amazes me sometimes.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I actually get a discount of 30 cents on the dollar twice a month on Post because I travel back and forth so much. So I save. Luckily, when I must travel to Fort Bragg, the car is rented and the gas is on the Goverment. Ha-Ha! So when I'm there, all my students ride around with me to save money. LoL!

All right now you got my attention where on Ft Bragg. I was original 3/73 Ar before the deactivated it

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
They need to produce a Hummer H2 that is hybrid. So I can drive around excessive amounts of mass, yet still stay green.

Instead of 9 miles to the gallon, hybrid version will get 10. lol.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
I love how these companies release these "green" SUVs. How ironic is that, a ****ing green Yukon. You're much more environmentally friendly driving a Honda Civic than that huge piece of ****.

The logic of the American people amazes me sometimes.
Lol well said

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Odd thing...I just spoke to my mother yesterday, and she said my nephew who works in an oil field in W. Virginia just got laid off.

Now why the outfit he worked for felt the need to lay a bunch off...I dunno.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Odd thing...I just spoke to my mother yesterday, and she said my nephew who works in an oil field in W. Virginia just got laid off.

the terrorists are taking over.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established

he got caught steeling oil via his shaker cup........

ken25

ken25

Awards
Nobody mentioned investing in a motorcycle or scooter? I own a 150cc scoot and get 72mpg with that sucker. Practical and parts and upgrades are cheap.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thebigt General Chat 43
howwedo107 General Chat 25
holyintellect General Chat 61
Delta Force General Chat 18
DGSky General Chat 74