Omron Body Logic body fat monitor?

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Im at the gym today, its a pretty nice golds gym location, and I ask the lady in the little trainers office if she can do bf measurement on me. Theyve always done a caliper skinfold test, and I know thats not all that accurate, but its what Im used to nd can kinda gauge it better, But this time they used a little handheld omron deal that claims t send impulses into the hands and takes a reading. Wtf? Anyone know anything about them? Are they at all accurate? Im assuming not, since it said I was 8.5% and Im certain Im not that low... Any experience with them?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They are within 5% or so, but the reading varies depending on hydration, hand placement, etc. If you use that as your gauge, make sure to do so under the same conditions everytime.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Thats about what I figured. Thanks man. Where does everyone go to get something accurate?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats about what I figured. Thanks man. Where does everyone go to get something accurate?
The most accurate is the hydrostatic method, but it's pricey. A 7-point caliper reading is the most accurate, inexpensive method.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
They are within 5% or so, but the reading varies depending on hydration, hand placement, etc. If you use that as your gauge, make sure to do so under the same conditions everytime.
this is the problem with these tests...

they can be off 5% in either direction.. so there is a 10% window of error... waste of time

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is the problem with these tests...

they can be off 5% in either direction.. so there is a 10% window of error... waste of time
I use both a 3-point test and the handheld to gauge my progress, but it's always on the same day at the same time. That and I take several measurements to get some sort of accuracy.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
If you want to mess with her, drink a ton of water on the way to the gym. Get tested. Then go do 20-30 minutes of cardio and take a piss, without drinking anymore water. Go get her to test you again.

One other problem with the impedence testers is that people at the ends of the spectrum throw the thing off even further. You should have seen the range of
readings I got off of our gym's impedence scale.