Favorite International Dishes

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

OK, so its saturday night, and im hungry. Its my cheat meal and I was thinking of getting some chinese chicken lo-mein, when I thought to myself, maybe i should try something different.

Anyway, what is y'alls favorite International (non - "american or canadian :lol: ") foods, i.e chinese, korean, italian, Indian etc..

And what is your favorite international* dish and why?

Mine is a beef chow mein because if made right, the combo of noodles and beef is amazing :thumbsup:

*by international i mean "americanized" international ~ for t-bone. ;)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think beef chow mein is more of americanized chinese food. I don't think in China that they eat stuff like General Tso's Chicken. They don't have nearly the obsesity rate of the US....

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Call me boring, but the spaghetti I had in Venice was probably the best pasta + sauce meal I have ever had. I had something in France but I couldn't tell you the name in a 1000 years.

PappaD

PappaD

Awards
Mine is Middle Eastern Food!!! I love Chicken Shwarma with lots of Garlic!!! Or if I really want a cheat, a big plate of Enchiladas!!! One beef, one cheese, one shredded chicken!!!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Mexican!!!Fajitas,chimichanga,burritos,steak,chiken,taco salad,enchiladas,tacos,nachos,quesedilas,tortas.I could go on forever.It's all soo good.Full of flavor and or spice,if no spice,throw on some hot sauce!Free chips and hot sauce and once you know where to go,some hot sauce is amazing.I usually have 2-5 bowls before meal.I'm in Tx though,northern states hardly have any mexican,and what they do have sucks,same with bbq.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Mexican!!!Fajitas,chimichanga,burritos,steak,chiken,taco salad,enchiladas,tacos,nachos,quesedilas,tortas.I could go on forever.It's all soo good.Full of flavor and or spice,if no spice,throw on some hot sauce!Free chips and hot sauce and once you know where to go,some hot sauce is amazing.I usually have 2-5 bowls before meal.I'm in Tx though,northern states hardly have any mexican,and what they do have sucks,same with bbq.
ahhh fajitas.... (lmao i love it when people pronounce it how its spelt .... fa"j"itas .... :lol:

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Call me boring, but the spaghetti I had in Venice was probably the best pasta + sauce meal I have ever had. I had something in France but I couldn't tell you the name in a 1000 years.
Hurley I couldnt agree more. Man have you tried the pizza in venice......DAMN.....fresh cheese, freshly made tomato sauce....fresh mushrooms...:food:

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Hurley I couldnt agree more. Man have you tried the pizza in venice......DAMN.....fresh cheese, freshly made tomato sauce....fresh mushrooms...:food:
I did actually! It was in some little tiny restaurant I found while lost in the labyrinth that is Venice. It was amazing, no pizza I have had since even compares to the flavors I experienced in that tiny run down pizza shop.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I gotta go with some Pad Thai. Awesome dish!

Chicken Shwerma is really good too.

Jambalaya counts, cause Lousiana is like another freakin country.

I like Pantera's tex-mex idea. Him and I live about 1 hour apart. We've probably been to the same places.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Being irish and polish, i'm going to have to go corned beef and cabbage, shepherd's pie, and stuffed cabbage. MMMMMM :food:

Last edited:
pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
too many to list! You should come to Hawaii, seriously it has to be the biggest melting pot of diverse cultures you have ever seen. International food you ask? We got it ALL! Thats why people love it here so much and miss it when you leave, besides the beautiful views and women, the selections of good food is unmatched and somethings are very unique only to hawaii.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
no, with a hard j.
kinda like jogging....(ron burgundy reference insert here)

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I thought you meant the way mexicans and people who speak spanish say it.It's like they feel obliged to give the accent as well......but i'm with you now.So what did you have mashed potatoe?

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
I thought you meant the way mexicans and people who speak spanish say it.It's like they feel obliged to give the accent as well......but i'm with you now.So what did you have mashed potatoe?
i ended up with......Crezeslovackian (sp?) pizza bread :lol:

trauma is right about the shepherds pie, although i thought that was an english dish?

(irish , always stealing things that arent theirs)

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established

trauma is right about the shepherds pie, although i thought that was an english dish?

lol you mean Czechoslovakian dish? If your gonna eat here dish respect the country man, the least you can do is spell there name right...:toofunny:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

It's both an irish and english dish. Stealing things?....come'on now. There has been as much stolen from the irish heritage as any.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
It's both an irish and english dish. Stealing things?....come'on now. There has been as much stolen from the irish heritage as any.
:lol: only joking man, though i have to admit shepherds pie really is one of my favorite dishes.

Its made with potato, ground beef, onions, carrots....etc.

There is this other irish dish toad in the hole, that i had as a kid...the name always put me off :lol:

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
lol you mean Czechoslovakian dish? If your gonna eat here dish respect the country man, the least you can do is spell there name right...:toofunny:
Give me a break boxmeman, only have the sign was lit outside the store :lol:, ok so it was actually some type of czech. republic (since they are now a replublic) pizza bread. It was in a circle shape with olives, chopped tomatoes, green peppers and chopped onions.

Very light and very good.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:lol: only joking man, though i have to admit shepherds pie really is one of my favorite dishes.

Its made with potato, ground beef, onions, carrots....etc.

There is this other irish dish toad in the hole, that i had as a kid...the name always put me off :lol:
I know man, so was i.;)

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
go to Pei Wei Mashed, or Fadhi's near Preston and Beltline.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
This chicken + thyme (or tarrogon depending on the day) and polenta dish my girlfriend makes. Shes 1/2 Sicillian and she's learned how to cook alot of the Mediterranian dishes. Lamb and polenta is good as well. What ever it is she cooks I can't wait to get home from the gym to eat it.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
go to Pei Wei Mashed, or Fadhi's near Preston and Beltline.
Pei Wei....hmmm i've been there a few times, but there are beter around dallas. I cant think of the name right now.

Never been to fadhi's, definately have to try that. There is this turkish place, god i cant remember the street crossing, but DUDE its the best food you will ever have, the ULTIMATE bulking food :lol:

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I think beef chow mein is more of americanized chinese food. I don't think in China that they eat stuff like General Tso's Chicken. They don't have nearly the obsesity rate of the US....
True dat! "Chinese" food has been adapted to fit the American taste. What we think of as Chinese food...isn't!

My favorite had the same problem...Chicken Tikka Masala. To the uninformed, it is an Indian dish, actually it's not! It's British and actually referred to as England's national dish! It influenced by Indian cuisine since India used to be a colony. Another oddity about it...there's no set recipe! On British paper did a survey and found over 50 variations with the only common element being chicken!!

My experience with it...my wife is British and makes KILLER Tikka...actually one of the first things she made me...she woo'ed me through my belly!

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
True dat! "Chinese" food has been adapted to fit the American taste. What we think of as Chinese food...isn't!

My favorite had the same problem...Chicken Tikka Masala. To the uninformed, it is an Indian dish, actually it's not! It's British and actually referred to as England's national dish! It influenced by Indian cuisine since India used to be a colony. Another oddity about it...there's no set recipe! On British paper did a survey and found over 50 variations with the only common element being chicken!!

My experience with it...my wife is British and makes KILLER Tikka...actually one of the first things she made me...she woo'ed me through my belly!
Dont get me started on the Tikka Masala. Chicken Tikka is the best!

My wife is indian and we love going to our local indian resturant. I always get chicken tikka masala with naan bread. EXCELLENT.....

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Dont get me started on the Tikka Masala. Chicken Tikka is the best!

My wife is indian and we love going to our local indian resturant. I always get chicken tikka masala with naan bread. EXCELLENT.....
My girl loves Indian food. She said I'd be ****ting my guts out in the middle of the night if I tried it.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Being irish and polish, i'm going to have to go corned beef and cabbage, shepherd's pie, and stuffed cabbage. MMMMMM :food:

thats some good eating right there! :food::food::food::food:

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
My girl loves Indian food. She said I'd be ****ting my guts out in the middle of the night if I tried it.
She lies. She wants it all for herself. My gut it ultra sensitive and i come out looking like a world class food eating champ! :p