harvard bans men from gym in favor of muslim females

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Harvard tries women-only gym hours - Yahoo! News

BOSTON - In a test of Harvard's famed open-mindedness, the university has banned men from one of its gyms for a few hours a week to accommodate Muslim women who say it offends their sense of modesty to exercise in front of the opposite sex.
ADVERTISEMENT

The policy is already unpopular with many on campus, including some women who consider it sexist.

"I think that it's incorrect in a college setting to institute a policy in which half of the campus gets wronged or denied a resource that's supposed to be for everyone," said student Lucy Caldwell, who also wrote a column in The Harvard Crimson newspaper critical of the new hours.

Student Ola Aljawhary, who is Muslim and works out elsewhere on campus but is not one of the women who requested the change, rejected that argument.

"The majority should be willing to compromise," she said. "I think that's just basic courtesy. We must show tolerance and respect for all others."

The trial policy went into effect Feb. 4, about a month after a group of six Muslim women, with the support of the Harvard College Women's Center, asked the university for the special hours, spokesman Robert Mitchell said.

"We get special requests from religious groups all the time and we try to honor them whenever possible," he said, noting that the school has designated spaces for Muslim and Hindu students to pray.

No men are allowed in the gym between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Mondays, and between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Even the staff during those times is all women.

The special hours allow the Muslim women, who adhere to traditional dress codes by covering their hair and most of their skin while in public, to dress more appropriately for exercising, said Susan Marine, director of the women's center.

"It's a pretty big breach of their moral and religious code for a man to see them with their hair uncovered and it's just not possible for them to be in a mixed environment," she said.

When student Kareem Shuman showed up to work out at the gym on Monday, he was turned away but didn't mind.

"Knowing it was requested by women of my faith — it's very understandable to me," said Shuman, 21, who figured he'd just come back later for his workout.

Other men find the new hours inconvenient. Nick Wells, a junior who wrote an opinion piece in the Crimson criticizing the policy, suggested setting aside one room for women.

"It's not that I am opposed to the idea of helping people in religious groups or women in general, but I just think Harvard is not being fair to people like me who live (near the gym)," Wells said in an interview.

The policy only applies to one gym, a facility mainly used for intramurals. Because of its location at the edge of campus, it is the university's least used gym, Mitchell said.

The women-only hours are of minimal inconvenience because they are just six out of the 70 hours a week the gym is open, Marine said.

"Harvard has a moral and ethical responsibility to make sure our students can stay healthy," she said.

An Associated Press reporter who went to the gym Monday did not see any Muslim women entering. Efforts to reach some of the women who requested the policy through the Women's Center were unsuccessful.

The policy will be reviewed at the end of the semester, Mitchell said.

Kent Blumenthal, executive director of the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association, which has 660 member colleges and universities nationwide, said he could not think of any other institution with a similar policy.

"It seems in some ways contrary to the purpose of campus recreational programs, which is all about access," he said.

Harvard's policy is no different from commercial gyms that cater partially or even exclusively to women, said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"The Muslim bashers portray it as the world coming to end, but if women have a couple hours a week to work out in private, I don't see it as a major issue," he said.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Funny how special interest groups get catered to while the majority typically gets told to just deal with it.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I bet no Muslim country would make such accomodations for Christian women. Why must this crap go on in our country ? I'm getting sick of these brainwashed liberals who think they must please anyone who complains. This is straight up slap to the face of all males in Harvard. If they don't like it they can train at home.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Does remind me of this one story where a guy kissed a muslim girl on the cheek or something and they went NUTS. Saying it was disrespectful etc etc.

Why we cater to immigrants and not our own beings is beyond me. American land of free for immigrants, land of put up or get out for americans.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Does remind me of this one story where a guy kissed a muslim girl on the cheek or something and they went NUTS. Saying it was disrespectful etc etc.

Why we cater to immigrants and not our own beings is beyond me. American land of free for immigrants, land of put up or get out for americans.
I'd have to say its the same if not worse in Australia and the UK (where i live now). Hell a few years back the Sydney Mayor banned Xmas decorations in the streets because it "might upset the minorities" and gone are the nativity plays at Xmas time. They are oh so offensive to the non Christian.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Does that mean you cant decorate your yards? I know here in public places you have to have EVERY holiday displayed or none at all. **** even the pledge of allegiance with the word "god" in it people are getting defensive. I dont beleive in god, but you dont see me complaining. Some people truly have too much time on their hands

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
This subject opens a whole can of beans.....

I dont agree with shutting the gym for certian hours (funny thing is no muslim girl was working out when the AP visited at the specified times). Maybe designating a WOMEN ONLY AREA, or something.

They do that at my gym, and to be honest its fine with me. If I was a woman, I wouldnt want some hairy pervert (dsade) :run:staring at me while I was working out.

Shutting the gym for 6 people is beyond me...

Reminds me of the time I wanted to use my local pool (as in pool with table and stick and balls (lol), and I couldnt go in between 6-9 pm as it was some local christians churches hours. People not belonging to a local church werent allowed in.

Total bs. totally.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
This subject opens a whole can of beans.....

I dont agree with shutting the gym for certian hours (funny thing is no muslim girl was working out when the AP visited at the specified times). Maybe designating a WOMEN ONLY AREA, or something.
yeah women only is fine. i think a lot of gyms are doing that these days. but muslim women only is a bit ridiculous. Are non muslim women allowed to workout in these times?

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
yeah women only is fine. i think a lot of gyms are doing that these days. but muslim women only is a bit ridiculous. Are non muslim women allowed to workout in these times?
i believe harvard set it as muslim only women. Which is rediculous as the issue is men seeing them without their religious garments, not other women. (the rule for women to wear the religous garments, was set by men - just a piece of information for you)

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Like they need a gym to work out. That is nuts and even worse all I can think if is when they do work out they don't shower them stinky clams. I hate going into a local store around here it smells like rotten BO,:woohoo:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
America is not governed by religious Islamic law. Considering Harvard is a private institution they have the right to do whatever they want. I applaud their attempts at religious sensitivity and understanding, but anyone who comes to America should know and expect to behave like an American; that is, Coed gyms, for one. If you don't want to work out in front of guys, then don't.

I'm sorry, but isn't this going backwards...aren't we trying to liberate Muslim women in foreign countries? Meanwhile, Harvard is just moving in the opposite direction

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
America is not governed by religious Islamic law. Considering Harvard is a private institution they have the right to do whatever they want. I applaud their attempts at religious sensitivity and understanding, but anyone who comes to America should know and expect to behave like an American; that is, Coed gyms, for one. If you don't want to work out in front of guys, then don't.

I'm sorry, but isn't this going backwards...aren't we trying to liberate Muslim women in foreign countries? Meanwhile, Harvard is just moving in the opposite direction
I wouldnt worry about it. Actually i think its a fad, that will soon be forgotten. I have no doubt the "we have our own gym time" novelty will soon wear off and this topic will become obsolete as harvard scraps the idea next semester.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
3-5 is like my prime workout time. I'd be sooo pissed.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
Another Liberal institution that forgets THIS IS ****ING AMERICA, if you dont like it, GET THE **** OUT! I wish they would ban fat sloppy females from the gym for a few hours when i go, but I DEAL WITH IT. AMERICA and its LIB INSTITUTIONS ARE SOFT, we are such a joke now.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
Funny how special interest groups get catered to while the majority typically gets told to just deal with it.
You hit the nail on the head. How about the people who can only go to the gym at that time? Or have been members the longest. These people come to our country, get support from the likes of Barack Obama, and feel the need to COMPLAIN about the way things are.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
America's new Motto: "When all else fails, play the race card."

You know I will always remember what my 5th grade teacher used to tell me or other students when we complained that "this isnt fair!" She was a white lady married to a chinese man, and all she said was "Life is not fair, learn to deal with it now and don't worry about others." In today's society I can see a kid running home and telling mommy and that teacher being accused of singling out or picking on the kid.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
sort of ironic that there is an ad for singlemuslim.com on my screen right now but anyways..

I think its bullsh!t that Harvard is doing this, I dont feel comfortable working out in front of gays so do I get my own time in the gym?

I dont feel comfortable working out with fat girls in the gym who sit on the bar in the power rack ( are you F*ing kidding me, I really hate this )

I dont feel comfortable with 65 yr old men walking around the locker room with their 'fruit basket' hanging out.

I dont feel comfortable working out in front of the huge tool bag and his dad that always stare at me.

Where the Frick is my personal gym time???

F*n A man, people really go over the top with their rights and bull**** ( I believe in having civil liberties and rights but come on here ), suck it up and deal with the world like every other red-blooded american or go back home

-This may sound insensitive but WTF now, why do I have to suffer and rearrange my schedule because YOUR not comfortable. Give me a break

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Screw em all wht pisses me off ios the parents that get offended when their children are asked to say The Pledge of allegiance in school. WTF I am going to teach my daughter to beat the crap out of those kids that dont. That really gets me going. Your in my country dammit respect it.

When our women go to Islamic countries they catch hell for not covering their heads. What is the diff here. Screw it I don't want to go over there and see there ugly asses anyway

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Try to beat the Race Card -- I dare you..

Don't like Muslim Gym hours? RACIST
Don't like Christian Gym hours? GOOD YOU SHOULDN'T
Don't like Female Gym hours? SEXIST
Don't like Male Gym hours? GOOD YOU SHOULDN'T
Don't like All Black/Latino Colleges? RACIST
Don't like All WHITE colleges? GOOD YOU SHOULDN'T
Don't like Affirmative Action? RACIST
Like Affirmative Action? RACIST haha

You get the idea.. also, I get uncomfortable working out around men that are Christian, 210-215, Brown Hair, Blue Eyes, 5'11", and a predisposition to grunt.. so me and my 3 friends petitioned my gym and now those people are not allowed in from 3-5 =)

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Richard Gere kissed some famous indian actress in some overly religious part of India.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
This whole PC trend of treating people a certain way because of their race, sex, or religion is the most un-American thing that I have ever seen.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Screw em all wht pisses me off ios the parents that get offended when their children are asked to say The Pledge of allegiance in school. WTF I am going to teach my daughter to beat the crap out of those kids that dont.
Take the "Under god" crap out that was added in violation of the principles of this country (and in the 1950s) and that's fine. Until then, you're a tool if you are truly teaching your kid that.

Then again, loyalty is NOT to a country, but to the principles the country is founded upon, which this country no longer even remotely resembles.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Then again, loyalty is NOT to a country, but to the principles the country is founded upon, which this country no longer even remotely resembles.
Thank GOD because slavery sucked!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank GOD because slavery sucked!
This country was not founded on the "principle" of slavery, but slavery was a misapplication of a principle. It was that all men were "created" equal. They then went to try to change the definition of man in order to justify slavery.

Even MORE reason not to swear allegiance to a country or flag.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Try to beat the Race Card -- I dare you..

Don't like Muslim Gym hours? RACIST
Don't like Christian Gym hours? GOOD YOU SHOULDN'T
Don't like Female Gym hours? SEXIST
Don't like Male Gym hours? GOOD YOU SHOULDN'T
Don't like All Black/Latino Colleges? RACIST
Don't like All WHITE colleges? GOOD YOU SHOULDN'T
Don't like Affirmative Action? RACIST
Like Affirmative Action? RACIST haha

You get the idea.. also, I get uncomfortable working out around men that are Christian, 210-215, Brown Hair, Blue Eyes, 5'11", and a predisposition to grunt.. so me and my 3 friends petitioned my gym and now those people are not allowed in from 3-5 =)

Guess I am racist

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
This country was not founded on the "principle" of slavery, but slavery was a misapplication of a principle. It was that all men were "created" equal. They then went to try to change the definition of man in order to justify slavery.

your in my country you swear allegiance to my flag. Or go back to where you came from.

my opinion

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
your in my country you swear allegiance to my flag. Or go back to where you came from.

my opinion
Well, luckily MY Country says you can or not...your choice. You have the freedom not to be coerced by others to conform to their meaningless preferences or face a "beating."

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Actually "All men created equal" applied to men who owned property. Its a common misconception that this applied to everyone. It didn't. Slaves and white indentured servants were not included. Slavery at its core was more an economic issue fueled with racist overtones.

/endhijack

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Actually "All men created equal" applied to men who owned property. Its a common misconception that this applied to everyone. It didn't. Slaves and white indentured servants were not included. Slavery at its core was more an economic issue fueled with racist overtones.
very well put..

I think that we should all respect each others differences/religions/ideas however when I cant go to something that I pay for because someone doesnt want to workout infront of me I have an issue with that.

I had the same issue when they closed the gym to the 'sports teams' freaking 3-5 while at college, right when i wanted to go. Just because they play on a sports team they have special priviledges to the same gym that we both pay for equally? Instead they tried to shovel everyone into a ghetto a$$ gym on the other side of campus, am I less of a student/ have less rights as a student than the guys on the sports teams? :wtf:

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established

my opinion

My thoughts exactly. This country is choking itself with it's own political correctness, at one point in time, people didn't think the soviet union would fall either. I think it's time we give the power back to the people and show these straw men in washington that we're sick of it!

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established

/endhijack

Well what about the slave owners in Africa? Are they a bunch of racists too? Were they somehow tricked by the white man? I'M SICK OF THIS CRAP!!! These foreigners think the worlds problems are the fault of the EVIL white man! They can take their hatred and SHOVE IT! See, they want to blame everything on whites and Americans in general, but the problem is everyone's trying to get into our country and no one is trying to get out. Did you know that slave trading still goes on in many African and Middle Eastern countries? No, of course you didn't because then you couldn't blame it on white people unless you were really creative. In fact, America and Britain were the first countries to abolish slavery, and resulted in devastated African economies.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
very well put..

I think that we should all respect each others differences/religions/ideas however when I cant go to something that I pay for because someone doesnt want to workout infront of me I have an issue with that.

I had the same issue when they closed the gym to the 'sports teams' freaking 3-5 while at college, right when i wanted to go. Just because they play on a sports team they have special priviledges to the same gym that we both pay for equally? Instead they tried to shovel everyone into a ghetto a$$ gym on the other side of campus, am I less of a student/ have less rights as a student than the guys on the sports teams? :wtf:
All whites are considered second class at major universities, aren't you aware of that. If you even look at a minority wrong, you're liable to get charged with a hate crime.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is what happens when you give liberals power.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
My thoughts exactly. This country is choking itself with it's own political correctness, at one point in time, people didn't think the soviet union would fall either. I think it's time we give the power back to the people and show these straw men in washington that we're sick of it!
Give? We need to TAKE it back. Stand up and let them know we aint afraid. Other countries laugh at us because we dont rebel against the goverment.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
This is what happens when you give liberals power.
Yeah, and when you hear somebody complain about racism, or inherent racism, or institutional racism, you can generally conclude that they are the racists because they want to impose their racist agenda and views on you. Don't be pushed around by these race gangsters.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Give? We need to TAKE it back. Stand up and let them know we aint afraid. Other countries laugh at us because we dont rebel against the goverment.

Look into the nationalist party. Join us.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I think the gym closing thing is beyond ridiculous. I am in agreement w/ most here that 'tolerance' (aka political correctness) is a one-way street. I feel that I am lucky to have been born in the US and not a third-world country. I encourage people from other countries to come to the US (through proper means which benefit the world as a whole and not just a drain).

We are all ancestors of immigrants. So, it's not immigration that is the problem... it's the way in which it is happening.

Remember, you could have very well been born in the armpit of Africa, but you weren't... you were born in the US. But, I think a lot of Americans have feelings of 'entitlement'. You don't 'own' this country anymore than Africans, Asians, Arabs, etc. do.

But, back to the topic at hand... I wish I could bash some liberal heads and not go to jail.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did you know that slave trading still goes on in many African and Middle Eastern countries?

Yes I do and I also know the term "slave" originated from the Slavic people who were bought and sold in the markets of Venice.

I bet you didn't know that... :lol:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes I do and I also know the term "slave" originated from the Slavic people who were bought and sold in the markets of Venice.

Check out the Big Brain on Jerry!

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established

You and your wikipedia.... :p

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of college, its such a joke now! I can honestly tell you that the only thing I took away from it was how much I could party and not go to class but still get by. I learned everything I know today from my parents and from real life work experience, not a classroom.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of college, its such a joke now! I can honestly tell you that the only thing I took away from it was how much I could party and not go to class but still get by. I learned everything I know today from my parents and from real life work experience, not a classroom.
College is just as much about the experience you gain in dealing with different people and organizations as it is about the actual education that you receive.

The kids who sit in there dorm room playing video games at college are robbing themselves of the most important skill that you can pull from college today - networking.

College is more of a test of endurance than it is a test of your knowledge, do you have the endurance to stay with it and pull the all nighters or do you give up?

Being in business I've yet to have someone ask me my GPA then go pull my transcripts, they ask me then move on. They're more interested in what I've done ( business wise ) and what I bring to the table.

Moral of the story:

Get drunk in college and enjoy the mid-day naps

:djparty:

Rock on!

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Well, luckily MY Country says you can or not...your choice. You have the freedom not to be coerced by others to conform to their meaningless preferences or face a "beating."

Your opinion is well stated. I have my feelings however and you have yours. But you make sense in what you say. This is just a topic that gets me heated

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your opinion is well stated. I have my feelings however and you have yours. But you make sense in what you say. This is just a topic that gets me heated
Then as long as your feelings do not encroach on my freedom to act or not, we are cool.

/disabled vet, if that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.