Throwing a Puppy off a cliff....hmmm

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so I founds this video the other day (infact I just realized they posting something on yahoo about it).

Anyway, it basically shows a U.S marine throwing a puppy off a cliff....for absolutely no reason. My question here is, what mentality causes someone to do something like this, and then laugh it off?

Whether it was a cat, squirrel, monkey etc, why would anyone with any type of sanity do this.

Secondly, why did the other guy laugh, and say "uhh that was mean". If it was me I would probably have cussed him out then proceeded to throw him off the cliff myself....

(MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME).

Thoughts?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
*sigh* There was nothing funny about that. There was no reason for that. I wonder why the rest of the world hates us so much?

(MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME)
May be disturbing to anyone with a shred of humanity.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
scumbags

i'd like to push these dicks off of a cliff

The Flash

The Flash

Awards
  • Established
They must have been reallly bored or insane to do that..., what got me the most was when the puppy wailed as it fell =(

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
war will do that to ya
I agree war is extremely stressfull, however that can not excuse such behavior.

While any case of PTS differs from individual to individual, why in hell would you think to throw a harmless puppy off a cliff. Not only that, but they were talking to the animal as if to mock it (such as "awww" etc).

My dad is in the military and suffered badly from PST when he came back from iraq the first time (90s), and not once would he, or any of his friends (who also suffered) have done anything like that.

The simple fact is, this guy has problems. BIG PROBLEMS, which were obviously there before he joined the military.

He is a adult, capable of judging right from wrong and what he did shows the sick side of humanity.

One thing I would like to note, is that he shruggs his shoulders when told "that was mean" and to some degree it seems as if he could possibly have regretted throwing the animla off the cliff (his facial expression seems to show some level of remorse).

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established

While any case of PTS differs from individual to individual, why in hell would you think to throw a harmless puppy off a cliff. Not only that, but they were talking to the animal as if to mock it (such as "awww" etc).

My dad is in the military and suffered badly from PST when he came back from iraq the first time (90s), and not once would he, or any of his friends (who also suffered) have done anything like that.

The simple fact is, this guy has problems. BIG PROBLEMS, which were obviously there before he joined the military.

He is a adult, capable of judging right from wrong and what he did shows the sick side of humanity.

One thing I would like to note, is that he shruggs his shoulders when told "that was mean" and to some degree it seems as if he could possibly have regretted throwing the animla off the cliff (his facial expression seems to show some level of remorse).

I agree.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
when i saw this on the news i couldnt really hear it or pay attention i thought they cut it out because one guy threw the puppy in the air and the other shot at it. that was my first impression.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I hope someone throws that mother****er off a cliff.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I saw that clip on Live Leak yesterday and chose not to watch it.

They also have a clip of some guys trying to dig an IED out of the ground filmed from a helicopter. They failed.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I didnt watch it because it would have been too much for me.

What a ****ed up group of people.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established

I in no way condone what was done in in this video, but you really don't have much of a grasp of what it is like overseas.
The situation is much different than it was during the very
short time period that was the first Gulf War. I honestly don't
think one could legitimately compare the two at all. Living in
constant fear for your life will make you very callous and
insensitive in regards to life other than your friends or your
own. I would also like to point out that the effects of PTSD
are felt once you are no longer in harm's way. It's, "POST
Traumatic Stress Disorder." If you honestly think that people
had these issues before being deployed overseas, then you
are mistaken. This is the result of war and if you don't like it,
then fine. War is not a pretty and heroic thing. It is mostly
about being scared, confused, and relying on your training to
accomplish a mission and stay alive. The sense of humor that
the Marine in the video has is in poor taste and is disturbing,
but you know very little about that man. In fact, the only two
things that you can be certain about is that he threw a puppy
off a cliff and that he's a Marine. I wouldn't be so quick to
judge, b/c he is doing something that most people are
unwilling to do themselves and this serving in our nation's
military. FWIW, this was likely filmed in Afghanistan, b/c of
the mountainous terrain and presence of random, stray
puppies. Most of the fire bases there have a problem with
overpopulation of dogs. When I was there in 2002-03,
soldiers would actually shoot dogs every few months, due to
overpopulation and this was actually something that they
were ordered to do. I didn't like it then and I don't like now,
but I feel that people have a very poor idea about the stress
that goes with being over there. When I was there we
averaged a few firefights a month and received several base
camp rocketings a week(its actually worse now). That kind of
stress can take its toll on a person emotionally, so I am not the least bit suprised by this video. I can also bet that some of you probably wouldn't even bat an eyebrow if you were there too.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I hate to say it, but lately according to the news, that movie "Valley of Elah" is making more and more sense. My prayers go out to all of the brave men and women serving our country.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
omg wtf that was awful i dont know what to say

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for your service, Slow. I respect your opinion.

I agree this sort of behavior is probably symptomatic of the stresses of being over there and hopefully less about what kind of person that Marine is...BUT the rules of humanity still need to apply. There has to be a line in the sand somewhere and it has to be maintained at all costs, otherwise some of our fighting men are allowed to slide down a slippery slope because "war is Hell".

I ask you this honestly, would you want a guy who kills puppies and laughs about it in your squad watching your back? Personally, I would not because I'd would think to myself "what else is he capable of?".

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I in no way condone what was done in in this video, but you really don't have much of a grasp of what it is like overseas.
The situation is much different than it was during the very
short time period that was the first Gulf War. I honestly don't
think one could legitimately compare the two at all. Living in
constant fear for your life will make you very callous and
insensitive in regards to life other than your friends or your
own. I would also like to point out that the effects of PTSD
are felt once you are no longer in harm's way. It's, "POST
Traumatic Stress Disorder." If you honestly think that people
had these issues before being deployed overseas, then you
are mistaken. This is the result of war and if you don't like it,
then fine. War is not a pretty and heroic thing. It is mostly
about being scared, confused, and relying on your training to
accomplish a mission and stay alive. The sense of humor that
the Marine in the video has is in poor taste and is disturbing,
but you know very little about that man. In fact, the only two
things that you can be certain about is that he threw a puppy
off a cliff and that he's a Marine. I wouldn't be so quick to
judge, b/c he is doing something that most people are
unwilling to do themselves and this serving in our nation's
military. FWIW, this was likely filmed in Afghanistan, b/c of
the mountainous terrain and presence of random, stray
puppies. Most of the fire bases there have a problem with
overpopulation of dogs. When I was there in 2002-03,
soldiers would actually shoot dogs every few months, due to
overpopulation and this was actually something that they
were ordered to do. I didn't like it then and I don't like now,
but I feel that people have a very poor idea about the stress
that goes with being over there. When I was there we
averaged a few firefights a month and received several base
camp rocketings a week(its actually worse now). That kind of
stress can take its toll on a person emotionally, so I am not the least bit suprised by this video. I can also bet that some of you probably wouldn't even bat an eyebrow if you were there too.

So what you're saying is that if you don't support this then you're unpatriotic?

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
As sick as this is, it's too easy to judge from the comfort of your lazy boy armchair. We (the army) systematically teach these men / women to systematically kill other humans as part of their job and duty. They systematically exterminate other life forms of greater value than a puppy but that's ok?

I'm not condoning this act but come on, if you had seen half the sh!t these guys see on a daily basis you would know it changes you.

Is killing anything justified?

Don't forget they're not over there defending, they're on the offensive protecting your right to drive your 10Gal to a mile SUV. There is nothing legit or even close to legit about that 'war'.

No reason for any of them to be over there.

If the Iraqis did the same as we do to them, we would be doing the same thing they are, making them gtfo!

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for your service, Slow. I respect your opinion.

I agree this sort of behavior is probably symptomatic of the stresses of being over there and hopefully less about what kind of person that Marine is...BUT the rules of humanity still need to apply. There has to be a line in the sand somewhere and it has to be maintained at all costs, otherwise some of our fighting men are allowed to slide down a slippery slope because "war is Hell".

I ask you this honestly, would you want a guy who kills puppies and laughs about it in your squad watching your back? Personally, I would not because I'd would think to myself "what else is he capable of?".
The sad part of being in harm's way is that you don't have the luxury of picking who has your back. As a leader, its up to you to have the morals to make sure that this kind of behavior doesn't happen. Its likely that this Marine's squad leader was present when this happened and had no problem with it. In that regards, the team is only as strong as their weakest member. The best any soldier can do is to make sure that everyone on the team knows how important they are to the team. If you can believe in yourself as a a member of group with a singular purpose, then you can accomplish anything and ensure that everyone made their best attempt to do what is right and make it out alive. I would have died to save any member of my team while deployed, b/c they were the were my family, my support unit, and my friends. All that being said, at times in war everyone can begin to lose track of what is morally right and wrong. Looking back, I could pick out a handful of times where I fell into this trap. I don't neccessarily hate these men in the video for their actions, I just pity them, b/c I know what its like to lose one's grasp of what's right and wrong. I can honestly say that this likely has happened to that squad as a whole over time and not just the lone Marine tossing the puppy.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
As sick as this is, it's too easy to judge from the comfort of your lazy boy armchair. We (the army) systematically teach these men / women to systematically kill other humans as part of their job and duty. They systematically exterminate other life forms of greater value than a puppy but that's ok?

I'm not condoning this act but come on, if you had seen half the sh!t these guys see on a daily basis you would know it changes you.

Is killing anything justified?

Don't forget they're not over there defending, they're on the offensive protecting your right to drive your 10Gal to a mile SUV. There is nothing legit or even close to legit about that 'war'.

No reason for any of them to be over there.

If the Iraqis did the same as we do to them, we would be doing the same thing they are, making them gtfo!

It's ironic because many people seem to be indoctrinated with the belief that an attack from someone in Iraq means that their an associated terorrist. They are a hostile, but it doesn't mean their a terrorist. You can call every single guy over there a terrorist, but if someone shock and awe's you, kills your family by accident, you're not going to want to understand, you're going to want revenge. It's very logical, and the people who attack are acting very predictable for the situation they're in.

As far as throwing puppies off a cliff... there's no room for that kind of behavoir, I don't care who you are.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
In no way is this particular situation excusable in any way.

If overpopulation and strays are a legitimate problem and need to be killed -- that's fine (although tossing them off cliffs seems insane). BUT, laughing and mocking an animal before you seemingly take pleasure in killing it is 1) disgusting, 2) disturbing, 3) deplorable, and 4) absolutely unnacceptable for any person who calls themself a "human being".

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
"I just pity them, b/c I know what its like to lose one's grasp of what's right and wrong."

I can see your point, thank you for raising it and sharing your experiences. I would hate to have sunk that low, then live with the guilt of doing things like that once life returns to "normal". I can't help to think that these guys will feel badly about this once their senses calm down.

Perhaps one unstated goal of a leader is to not let your men go down a path that they will end up regretting forever.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
animal cruelty is more common then you would expect, it's too bad really. poor animals.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
*sigh* There was nothing funny about that. There was no reason for that. I wonder why the rest of the world hates us so much?
Come on man - its not like America is the only country with insensitive *******s in it....

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Slow-mun, excuses is all I hear, and not good ones. That's bullsh*t any way you slice it. Fvck that!

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Slow is relating real-life, firsthand experiences. No one is condoning this behavior and once they are identified, they will be court-marshalled for Conduct Unbecoming a Marine/Soldier. Of course it's sad to see a baby or puppy being killed needlessly. But anyone that hasn't been "over-there" need not pass any judgment on those who put it all on the line everyday. These men will be handled.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
:wtf: I think you are better off not posting anymore.
:edited:

If that's not what you mean, then what did you mean?

Not posting anymore is pretty harsh. Everyone is just expressing their opinion.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
Slow is relating real-life, firsthand experiences. No one is condoning this behavior and once they are identified, they will be court-marshalled for Conduct Unbecoming a Marine/Soldier. Of course it's sad to see a baby or puppy being killed needlessly. But anyone that hasn't been "over-there" need not pass any judgment on those who put it all on the line everyday. These men will be handled.
Thanks for this post. It would seem that trying to help others understand the mindset that goes along with being in a war zone is lost upon some people. I don't seem to remember ever saying that disagreement with this behavior was unpatriotic, or that I gave this kind of stuff the thumbs up. These men make the military as a whole look bad and people are quick to pass judgment. I was merely trying to enlighten people on the "how and why" of things. At best, I thought maybe it would keep people from jumping to conclusions without being informed enough to make them.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
:edited:

If that's not what you mean, then what did you mean?

Not posting anymore is pretty harsh. Everyone is just expressing their opinion.
You obviously didn't read my first post, if you have to ask what point I was trying to make. I actually took offense to your post, so consider my " harsh" response the PC version.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
Slow-mun, excuses is all I hear, and not good ones. That's bullsh*t any way you slice it. Fvck that!
I really don't expect anyyone who hasn't been a soldier to understand. I was merely trying to enlighten you folks a bit. For those that can try to understand why things like this might happen; I thank you for being curious enough to actually read my posts with an open mind.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I really don't expect anyyone who hasn't been a soldier to understand. I was merely trying to enlighten you folks a bit. For those that can try to understand why things like this might happen; I thank you for being curious enough to actually read my posts with an open mind.
You're right, I'll never fully understand what it's like to be in that awful situation. I also won't understand what it's like to be abused as a kid and end up a serial killer. Bottom line is no matter what took place beforehand the end result is bad enough that their's no acceptable excuse. I understand that you're not condoning what he did and you're trying to explain why it may have happened. I appreciate that and it helps to understand the reason for his sickness. I definitely don't look at the military or any branch of the military differently because of this one POS, just for the record. I really appreciate you guys putting your balls on the line, but I hate that guy just the same I would a civilian.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Slow, I completely get where your coming from bro - really i do.

My point is this, you are constantly faced with the fear of death, you are suffering from PTS, and you will obviously have some serious anger problems from this.

However......this guy mocks then throws the animal. He does not shoot it randomly, but throws it.

I for one understand stress, without going into detail i had a bone marrow transplant when I was 18. Everyday my parents and I suffered the thought that today could be my last day. Any day an infection could claim my life. Confimed to a room no bigger than the average bedroom for 12 months, fed drugs that make you vomit, and constantly running fevers. Now that caused severe pts for me and anger problems including depression.

However...... not once would I thought have doing anything like this guy.

My father is in the royal marines (british) and does alot of behind the scenes work - if you get what I mean. His job entails HUGE amounts of stress and they frequently recieve counceling. He also works with military recruiters and it is obvious to me that this guy had problems before he joined.

His PTS and anger merely fueled his pre-existing condition, whatever it was.

It basically falls under the same umbrella as the guys who rape local women in war. THERE IS NO EXCUSE.....

I would also like to point out that there are alot of u.s marines suffering from PTS, and i read that all of them are shocked by the video.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
I hate to say it, but the younger soldiers that enter the military these days behave in a similar, albeit less sociopathic manner. I would love to say that its the result of a single parent household, where the only positive male influence on the young male was likely a character on a Play Station(but I honestly can't say for sure). I probably did more parenting as an NCO in the Army than I should have, and that's the sad state of things these days. As far as dealing with my own demons; I was a functional alcoholic while I was in the Army and a disfunctional one when I got out. Physical fitness saved my life in regards to dealing with own PTSD. I never sought out treatment until I realized I was already a slave to the chemicals that silenced my inner demons. The VA put me on benzo's and psych meds. long enough to have me believing that I was merely bi-polar and not experiencing PTSD(It helps to skew the public's knowledge about the rate of recently discharged soldiers experiencing PTSD this way). After talking at length with professionals who weren't working for the VA(on my own dime too), I began focusing my attention on my physcial health and my mental health improved as a result. There are going to be a good number of Soldiers/Marines/Airmen/Sailors affected by this war emotionally and they won't tell anyone(especially while they are still in active duty), b/c they feel its a sign of weakness. I didn't seek out help for that exact reason and the help I received, when I did try, was inadequate at best. The only thing I would like is for people is to try and be more compassionate about what these young men have gone through. The Marines in the clip aren't inhuman, they just did something morally wrong and its sad that they don't show any remorse for it.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree. While there is no excuse for what they did, they do need help.
Getting help isn't always easy, especially when any mental issues count against you in your regiment. Anything you tell the doc goes straight back to your commanding officer.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree. While there is no excuse for what they did, they do need help.
Getting help isn't always easy, especially when any mental issues count against you in your regiment. Anything you tell the doc goes straight back to your commanding officer.
Exactly, once you are enrolled in any type of treatment program in the United States military, you are immediately flagged from promotion or any other favorable actions. Your chain of commend is informed of what is going on and they will not allow you to carry a weapon or perform your normal daily duties. You basically become black-balled in a matter of minutes. The current system in place has many flaws that will not be fixed. The only people that seem to be bringing attention to this is Hollywood and that's the wrong type of attention IMHO.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
So what you're saying is that if you don't support this then you're unpatriotic?

Figured Id step it to tell you to STFU, I don't post much anymore but that was a ****ing stupid comment

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
its sick fcuks like them that give the Marines a bad name.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Figured Id step it to tell you to STFU, I don't post much anymore but that was a ****ing stupid comment

Figured I'd step in and say mind your business.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established

Ok, sorry if I misunderstood your post. It makes sense if you were explaining why they could have done it versus they can't help it.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Exactly, once you are enrolled in any type of treatment program in the United States military, you are immediately flagged from promotion or any other favorable actions. Your chain of commend is informed of what is going on and they will not allow you to carry a weapon or perform your normal daily duties. You basically become black-balled in a matter of minutes. The current system in place has many flaws that will not be fixed. The only people that seem to be bringing attention to this is Hollywood and that's the wrong type of attention IMHO.
Agreed.

I really think that each soldier should have at least 3 sessions of counciling per overseas tour (when im combat).

But like theres any chance of that happening....mean you have to wait like 6 months just to see a military dentist...

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Figured I'd step in and let you know once you post something in a public forum, it is everyones business.

You made it your 'business,' and you didn't have to. It was an A and B conversation, so please C your way out of it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

sp33dkillz

sp33dkillz

Awards
I saw this video on another forum. There were several other videos posted with it (pretty disturbing ****). It's sad that these are the kind of people out there representing our country.

BigCasino

BigCasino

Awards
  • Established
its sick fcuks like them that give the Marines a bad name.

You said it Chad. They are a disgrace to the uniform.

Anyone can act like a sub-human piece of sh!t. The United States Marines, are the United States Marines because they are badass warrior SOBs but meet America's standards, have a moral compass, and are "the good guys". These sick fvcks don't deserve to be Marines.

I've showed this to several service members since I came across it, four marines.

Three from the conflicts in Afghan / Iraq, one vet from Nam (hamburger hill, so don't tell me he has not seen his share of fvcked up ****)

Not one of them was unmoved by it. All were angry, and all agreed it was unacceptable. Unfortunately, what my neighbor told me was that this isn't even the worst as far as the treatment of the local dogs go...

Yes, occasionally they are ordered to reduce the local stray population, they are supposed to be professional about it and shoot to kill. It should only take a Marine one shot to kill a dog. My neighbor witness groups that would have contests, intentionally hitting non-vital areas of the dogs, and see how many bullets they could get into it before they died. So basically, animal torture.

Not only does that show a lack of moral compass, no compassion for living creatures, but finally no respect for the USMC. How? Because the media is hungry for any little **** ups to make our men and women in uniform look bad, and when you do ****ed up **** like that you jeaprodize the image of the whole Corps. No excuses.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I'm suprised they can shoot dogs like that. I mean, that seems like one animal the american culture has a sentimental relationship with so to speak. The dog usually is a loyal and friendly animal versus alot of other less appealing animals. A man's best friend?

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
I'm suprised they can shoot dogs like that. I mean, that seems like one animal the american culture has a sentimental relationship with so to speak. The dog usually is a loyal and friendly animal versus alot of other less appealing animals. A man's best friend?
thought it was the cat ;)