Does more muscle mass keep you warm?

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I have searched for this and have only found an opinion or two. I noticed that when I dropped 40 pounds that I got chilly easier but it also got colder. But I was taking a break from gym when the cold weather started. Started back up in gym about 2.5 weeks ago and Ive noticed I am warmer at the same climates. My question is does having more muscle mass keep you warmer? Does moderate exercise keep you warm during the day? Thanks in advance!!

Schism

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That is possibly the strangest question I ever heard. More fat will keep you warmer, also exercise increases blood flow (circulation) and I think that would help keep you warm.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you. I thought so. But Ive heard much stranger questions.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
An increased metabolism will make you feel warmer. I even get hot after I eat sometimes. I guess it's my metabolism kicking in to do work on all the delicious food, lol.

How you been man? We haven't crossed paths in a while.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
An increased metabolism will make you feel warmer. I even get hot after I eat sometimes. I guess it's my metabolism kicking in to do work on all the delicious food, lol.

Good to see ya again. Im good. Ended up divorcing the woman you were trying to help me with. Moved on tho. Thats what I thought about an increased metabolism. Wasnt sure if the increase in muscle helped tho. Thanks for the response old friend.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh damn. Sorry to hear about the divorce, but they say time heals all wounds and good to hear that you have moved on.

And as far as muscle and metabolism...well, one pound of muscle burns three to five more calories per hour than a pound of fat!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would think based off my experience between this year and last year. I was over 200lbs last winter, but I was seldom cold, but now at about 175 or so, I get cold frequently.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would think based off my experience between this year and last year. I was over 200lbs last winter, but I was seldom cold, but now at about 175 or so, I get cold frequently.
Same here. I felt much warmer at a higher weight. And i dont mean fatter i meant when i had more muscle.

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established

You would be correct, diet-induced thermogenesis is when you feel warm after eating a meal.

-TF

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Adipose is a heat insulator. The fatter, the more heat you retain, but fat does not "produce" any heat. Muscle technically generates heat, but I don't know if that's true in a non-active state, but muscle does not insulate heat at all, so if you did warm up and you had no fat, you'd lose that heat very quickly, oppose to if you were fat, you'd heat up and remain warm for a much longer duration.

Edit: I am no evolutionist, but theoretically, in terms of evolutional adaption to environment, it could explain why African Americans "in general" attain such aesthetic physiques. African plains are extremely hot, therefore, the necessity of thin skin for warmth to efficiently escape and very low subcutaneous fat to battle heat retention. I do believe the African continent contains the harshest environment. Now don't jump on me, I'm just sharing a random thought, not making a statement or anything. Please don't anybody feel or get offended if this random thought was somehow offensive.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Adipose is a heat insulator. The fatter, the more heat you retain, but fat does not "produce" any heat. Muscle technically generates heat, but I don't know if that's true in a non-active state, but muscle does not insulate heat at all, so if you did warm up and you had no fat, you'd lose that heat very quickly, oppose to if you were fat, you'd heat up and remain warm for a much longer duration.

Edit: I am no evolutionist, but theoretically, in terms of evolutional adaption to environment, it could explain why African Americans "in general" attain such aesthetic physiques. African plains are extremely hot, therefore, the necessity of thin skin for warmth to efficiently escape and very low subcutaneous fat to battle heat retention. I do believe the African continent contains the harshest environment. Now don't jump on me, I'm just sharing a random thought, not making a statement or anything. Please don't anybody feel or get offended if this random thought was somehow offensive.
Makes sense. thanks for the response.

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established

Very solid post and I agree with your theory.

-TF

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have since become a warmer man.

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Fat is an insulator bro - think about it, bears before the begin hibernating eat lots of stuff to gain fat, not to build muscle to help keep em warm.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fat is an insulator bro - think about it, bears before the begin hibernating eat lots of stuff to gain fat, not to build muscle to help keep em warm.
Sounds like truescience to me bro

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
All I know was that when I was over 200, I was constantly hot even in winter.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some of these things might be indirectly related to the cardiovascular issues with being overweight. IE, I know that high blood pressure makes me sweat like crazy, regardless of my weight. Being overweight can cause blood pressure issues.

Muscle burns about three to five calories more per hour than a pound of fat. Metabolically, muscle is more active than fat, no?

My point is that there are likely multiple different things that come into play with this. I know that when I was in college and VERY lean, I kept the AC set to 68 degrees. I definitely couldn't deal with that now though, lol. Fat/more skin is obviously an insulator though :D

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I'm always hot have to keep my apt at 70 degrees in the summer and 67 degrees at night with a fan constantly blowing on me. In the winter I don't even use the heat... My dad and I are both "hot" natured though. I believe it to be the shape and metabolism we both possess.