CED59 Gets a Hair Restoration Procedure!

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys! It's been a while! I've been researching and talking about getting a procedure done for years and I finally went through with it. I'm keeping a blog and I'll be on a few of the forums discussing the procedure and the options that are currently availible today.

as a frame of reference:
These days I am more focused on staying healthy and working on all aspects of myself - specifically personality and social networking. I still train, but it's nothing like the hardcore football/hockey stuff I used to do. My supplementation, accordingly, is restricted to 100% legal compounds and a healthful diet. I still eat my protein - but not at bodybuilder levels. Strength training is no longer MY LIFE - it is just part of my life. I am more healthy psychologically and also physically.

From my blog: (pictures availible in the blog)
Hair Restoration Blog for ChrisHT_by_DrCharles

**I'm here to answer questions about surgical and non-surgical options for hairloss... not to plug any doctors (the text from my blog indicates why I selected my doctor and the specific criteria I had) - I'd be happy to answer any and all appropiate questions though. I have consulted with MANY MANY different practices.**

Hey everyone! I am 25 and a half years old. I have been researching hair loss for the past six and a half years. My hair loss began in about 2001-2002, around age 18 or 19, and I immediately began to use minoxidil sporadically. I began to use Propecia (1mg Finasteride) about a year later. While the products were moderately effective, I accelerated my hair loss by taking certain legal performance enhancers. I was aware of the consequences and also took measures to minimize the hair loss throughout. I would shed quite a bit, but much of the thickness would return.

In 2005, I had a severe knee injury in a football game that greatly accelerated the hair loss. While a year later much of it had filled in, certain areas (crown, temples/hairline) most prone to Male-Pattern Baldness needed professional restoration beyond the limited ‘peach-fuzz’ that minoxidil could provide. I considered potential physicians by their expertise with dense hairline packing. The frontal, Zone 1, was the area that needed the biggest touch up, due to my naturally low, fairly square hairline - that the FDA approved treatments rarely improve. I contacted several reputable opinions and decided to have my procedure done by Dr. Glenn Charles.

Dr. Charles most closely shared my philosophy that: the hairline, to quote him, ‘makes-or-breaks’ ANY hair restoration procedure. I felt quite comfortable that Dr. Charles understood the wishes of his younger patients - whereas other doctors might have a more generic hairline which they will provide each of their patients, regardless of age or race.

Although I am younger than most candidates, I have quite a bit of experience with hair loss treatments and how they work (more often, do not work) combined with sports supplements. I have provided advice to countless persons on their surgical and non-surgical options. Although I have discontinued my use of sports supplements, I am familiar with the majority of the compounds. I have tried nearly EVERY hair treatment available and I have even experimented with some of my own creations. While some hair treatments are effective, the only permanent solution is a hair restoration procedure.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

other links:
My FUT Procedure with Dr. Glenn Charles, CMG. Boca Raton, FL. Ongoing feedback and Links - Topic By and for Hair Loss Patients

Hair Restoration Blog for ChrisHT_by_DrCharles

Hair Loss Help Forums - Feedback/Blog on FUT Procedure by Dr. Glenn Charles, CMG. Boca Raton FL.

**I have been performance enhancer free since my injury in 2005**
6-2 220lbs, waist 32 currently... if it mattered.

Last edited:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
who is that guy in your avatar ? How does a football knee injury accelerate hair loss ?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
who is that guy in your avatar ? How does a football knee injury accelerate hair loss ?
Lofa Tatapu.

ruptured patellar tendon... followed by reconstructive surgery and months of pain killers... Just a shock on the system

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hey CED! Nice to hear from you and glad that you're going through with the procedure. Please keep us posted - I know Ill need to do this in the coming years...

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
will do, I'll link the main hair thread to this one here
stay posted

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey CODeoudes59,

That was a surprising post. Keep us updated.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
In short, the procedure went smoothly and as expected. I had done years of homework so I knew what to expect. My hairloss was fairly minor but it had stabilzed so I figured I would get it fixed. I was in a bit more pain than I thought post-op and today. Over 2000 pokes it the head will do that! Although I didn't feel any at the time.

Th Post-Procedure Protocol includes:
*Multi Vitamin

*Propecia (1mg Finasteride)

*5% Minoxidil (not necessarily Rogaine, I vary the actual Minoxidil Product I use). My favorite is Spectral-DNC. It's pricey though.

*Nizoral/Nioxin Shampoo (I can't use these for 10-14days, but they will be part of the routine once I am able to wash my hair)

*Copper Peptides (the doctor gave me a Copper Peptide spray to use up in 3-4days, I will probably buy the Folligen Shampoo. Copper Peptides are proven to really help the growth of transplanted hairs by created a healthy grow happy environment).

*Toco-8: PP's latest product. I believe it can increase hair growth, but it didn't do too much as far as stopping mine. Expected, I'll probably go through a few jars of this.

*MSM: Bought a sh1tload of these at Costco... Eating them like candy, good my knee and my head.

*Green Tea, Liver tabs, Protein Shakes etc... for my training, will benefit hair growth as well.

*Blood tests reveal that my testosterone is very high normal, it will certainly help in the growth.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Great to hear from you again CED :) It's great to hear about this procedure since I'm sure that's something many of us will have to deal with in the future. Sucks to hear about the injury but it sounds as if you're happier with your life and that's good to hear. Definitely let us know about this procedure. BTW, how much does it cost ?

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Holy ****. I thought you grew breasts and ran away to Tongo. (that was the rumor)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Great to hear from you again CED :) It's great to hear about this procedure since I'm sure that's something many of us will have to deal with in the future. Sucks to hear about the injury but it sounds as if you're happier with your life and that's good to hear. Definitely let us know about this procedure. BTW, how much does it cost ?
Thanks buddy, good to see you too. Life is good, I wish you the same.

As far as cost, it depends on how much work you get done and the means which you do it FUT or FUE. My situation wasn't too bad, in fact, the hairloss has stabilized for the most part... which was reason enough to get the procedure done. I had ~2143grafts* done for $6000 by one of the top surgeons in Florida. Different doctors will quote you various figures based on how much work they think you need. Some are very conservative.

*I will get the specific # tomorow. And Again, that is 'grafts' not single hairs. A graft can be composed of 1 to 4 hairs - I will get those details tomorrow as well.

will report back..

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established

Tom 185

Awards
  • Established
I am 24 and although I am not nearly bald, My hair has become very thin in the past year. Some things I would like to know...

*Success rate of this procedure

*Average price

*Preparation

*Why continue the use of these supplements such as Finasteride? I thought the procedure would allow you to permanently have hair restored if successful.

Sorry if this has recently been covered, been away from the forums for a while...spending too much time on 350z forums hah

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Sorry for the subpar grammar, the Vicodin has me pretty spacey but content.

*Success rate: 100% from the right doctor. No cosmetic surgery is going to be 'guaranteed' however. The results are subjective, but there should not be any surprises if you have the right doctor doing the procedure. The hair permanent, it is the hair in the back of your head that never falls out (or dies). It grows normally. It is just the hair in the back, moved to the front.

*Average price: Depends on how many grafts and the method at which the procedure is done. Anywhere from $4,000 to $100,000 dollars. Note: there is no reason to spend over $12,000 - that will get you more hair than you could ever want/need in your mid/late 20s.

*Continued Finasteride usage: Unless you have absolutlely no natural non-donor hair on your head, chances are you are going to want to try and maintain the rest of your hair. A hair transplant procedure does not/should not replace every hair on your head. View my blog, I am not replacing every hair on my head -- rather simply, strengthing the hairline and adding some density to some other areas.

Good questions, keeping asking if you have more. I'm happy to answer, Vicodin makes me altruistic. Just make sure you do your homework before taking any major steps.

I am 24 and although I am not nearly bald, My hair has become very thin in the past year. Some things I would like to know...

*Success rate of this procedure

*Average price

*Preparation

*Why continue the use of these supplements such as Finasteride? I thought the procedure would allow you to permanently have hair restored if successful.

Sorry if this has recently been covered, been away from the forums for a while...spending too much time on 350z forums hah

Tom 185

Awards
  • Established
thanks. better start saving my money....and researching doctors...

when do you go back for your next appointment?

before/after pics?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
thanks. better start saving my money....and researching doctors...

when do you go back for your next appointment?

before/after pics?
There is no follow-up per say.. Since I got a FUT procedure I'll have to get the stitches removed from the ~1mm suture in the back of my head. It is not visible, it is where the grafts were harvested from. I opted for FUT over FUE. With FUE there is no scar and single hairs are extracted and placed accordingly. While this seems more favorable, and it is, the procedure much more expensive. I have no plans to shave my head so I didn't care if there was a ~1mm scar on the back my head. There has been no bleeding after the procedure, so my scar might be even smaller than 1mm. I have jet black hair and a dark complexion, I doubt I will be able to even find it in a month.

Keep up with my blog for ongoing pictures. It takes about 12 months to have the FULL result of the transplant. It should be about 70% in in about 5 or 6 months ago. With the diet and the supplements I figure it will be nearly all in by August or September. Perhaps that is wishful thinking. All pictures and updates will be on that blog (Link #2, I believe). Stay tuned!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Another question bro. What are the chances of losing the hair from the procedure if one were to continue taking anabolics ? Would the risk be the same as it is with your natural hair ?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Another question bro. What are the chances of losing the hair from the procedure if one were to continue taking anabolics ? Would the risk be the same as it is with your natural hair ?
This is a good question and of utmost concern to those who 'want to have their cake (hair) and eat it too (juice)'.

The transplanted hairs will not fall out, as they are NOT susceptible to DHT. The will react just as the hair in the back of your head (donor area) will/would to androgens. A lot of bodybuilders have restorations done yearly. Apparently there are doctors that target these guys and understand their training goals. Hey, it's good money. Most doctors, however, would rightfully discourage the use of hormonal compounds as the patient would still be vulernable to future loss of native hairs prone to DHT.

While many bodybuilders and WWE guys have had procedures done, you'd be very hard-pressed to find out names. Nearly all patient-phsychian cosmetic surgery contracts ALWAYS have multiple clauses about confidentially.

You can only go by what you see... and ASSUME.
Reggie Bush #5. Touchdown Tom. 1st Superbowl and then after they made him into GQ Tom.

*this is not to spark an argument about anabolics and the NFL. or who lost what whether naturally or accellerated. These are just assumptions, and not simply my own unique assumptions :) You won't find any/many current pro athletes or current celebrities repping their Hair Restoration Clinic.
You'll just see old dudes like Wade Boggs endorsing the hit-or-miss-usually-complete-garbage work that the factories like Bosley or MHR does. Stay Away!

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
CED, you have that reggie pic saved on your comp, don't you. :D

What is he singing anyways, an apple?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
mini sc trojan helmet I believe. That picture is from the summer practice between sophomore and junior year. All natural? Hardly. haha. People think he's over done it and lost a step since going pro. Longest run this past year of 22 yards, longest catch of 25 yards. He's turned into a possssion reciever, a pretty good one though.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
This is a good question and of utmost concern to those who 'want to have their cake (hair) and eat it too (juice)'.

The transplanted hairs will not fall out, as they are NOT susceptible to DHT. The will react just as the hair in the back of your head (donor area) will/would to androgens. A lot of bodybuilders have restorations done yearly. Apparently there are doctors that target these guys and understand their training goals. Hey, it's good money. Most doctors, however, would rightfully discourage the use of hormonal compounds as the patient would still be vulernable to future loss of native hairs prone to DHT.
Sweet, I'm sold. You just gave me the green light for more Tren :twisted:

I also wanted to know that because if I'm spending on hair loss prevention items then I'd like to save money by ditching them and doing something like that. I have just lost a little bit of my hairline around the sides but this is great to know for future intervention.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Sweet, I'm sold. You just gave me the green light for more Tren :twisted:

I also wanted to know that because if I'm spending on hair loss prevention items then I'd like to save money by ditching them and doing something like that. I have just lost a little bit of my hairline around the sides but this is great to know for future intervention.
Well, I trust that you know your potential for hair loss and your own unique genetic predisposition to MPB. Just plan ahead :)

Consider the following:
Generally, everyone has a donor area that provides 4,000-8,000 Grafts. To reestablish a [nearly] full head of hair (including hairline) you will need 2,000-5,000 grafts. This is not including the crown (work on the crown is easy though, and takes very little skill as compared to custom hairlines and other regions). You can even use body hairs to fill in the crown, if worst came to worst.

This illustrates what I am talking about:

It might not be a bad idea to drop by a reputable hair restoration clinic in your area and have them tell you how much donor hair you have. If you need a name of good doctor(s), I can get you name and feedback in about an hour. The consultation will be no charge at all.

In my situation, these procedure depleted ~20% of my donor hair grafts. Doing the math, I should have about ~8,000 that still remain if I ever wanted a follow up procedure. I have a very small head, definitely works in my favor in this case. You can drop some of the meds, but i'd keep Propecia (or generic Finasteride) and Minoxidil around. Any hair that regrew from that combination will fall out if you discontinue those compounds. Some people have a lot of success with Spiro when using Tren - although I think Spiro does nothing whatsoever.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Well, I trust that you know your potential for hair loss and your own unique genetic predisposition to MPB. Just plan ahead :)

Consider the following:
Generally, everyone has a donor area that provides 4,000-8,000 Grafts. To reestablish a [nearly] full head of hair (including hairline) you will need 2,000-5,000 grafts. This is not including the crown (work on the crown is easy though, and takes very little skill as compared to custom hairlines and other regions). You can even use body hairs to fill in the crown, if worst came to worst.

This illustrates what I am talking about:

It might not be a bad idea to drop by a reputable hair restoration clinic in your area and have them tell you how much donor hair you have. If you need a name of good doctor(s), I can get you name and feedback in about an hour. The consultation will be no charge at all.

In my situation, these procedure depleted ~20% of my donor hair grafts. Doing the math, I should have about ~8,000 that still remain if I ever wanted a follow up procedure. I have a very small head, definitely works in my favor in this case. You can drop some of the meds, but i'd keep Propecia (or generic Finasteride) and Minoxidil around. Any hair that regrew from that combination will fall out if you discontinue those compounds. Some people have a lot of success with Spiro when using Tren - although I think Spiro does nothing whatsoever.

How exactly is this transplant done and how long does it take?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
follicles are removed from the donor area and transplanted to the thinning areas. those follicles are not-suceptable to DHT and the hair will never die (just imagine the thick hair in the back of your head, planted in the front). It takes anywhere between 2.5-6hours, depends on how much work you are getting done.

You are given pain meds, benzo-sedatives, so time passes by pretty fast... I watched DVDs that I brought in, and we ordered delivery for lunch about half-way through.

Tom 185

Awards
  • Established
follicles are removed from the donor area and transplanted to the thinning areas. those follicles are not-suceptable to DHT and the hair will never die (just imagine the thick hair in the back of your head, planted in the front). It takes anywhere between 2.5-6hours, depends on how much work you are getting done.

You are given pain meds, benzo-sedatives, so time passes by pretty fast... I watched DVDs that I brought in, and we ordered delivery for lunch about half-way through.
Any pictures coming?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
So the procedure itself is not actually growing new hair ? It is just reallocating the existing hair into different areas to fill the entire head ?

kbtoy31

kbtoy31

Awards
  • Established
Dude, your hair loss wasn't even that bad. I guess tho' it's better to get it done early. than when u look like me. i had the same thing started losing my hair about the age of 19. Well I'm 31 now and I have to just go with the bald look, shave it all off. i've been thinking about doing it forever and I had the same issues questions. Like is my hair just gonna fall out again after I have the procedure. IDK tho' I may have to hit the lottery b4 i can have a hair replacement procedure done. I have all the peach fuzz on top of my head still but it's mostly gone. At best I think even if i did have it done I would look like your b4 pics. B/c there wouldn't be enough hair to relocate on ther top. have you ever heard of Bosley and what do you think of their Dr's?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
How has your expierence been with Nizoral shampoo. This is a dandruff shampoo right ?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
So the procedure itself is not actually growing new hair ? It is just reallocating the existing hair into different areas to fill the entire head ?
reallocating the follicles. The hair in the back of your is much thicker on average. The average person could transplant over 6000grafts (12,000-18,000hairs) without having the appearance of any loss in the back.

so basically you are correct with that statement. Hair "transplant".

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
How has your expierence been with Nizoral shampoo. This is a dandruff shampoo right ?
Correcto, the Ketoconazole 1% or 2% is the active ingredient to reduce inflammation and 'clear the DHT'. Revita has that ingredient and other goodies.

I am an interesting case though, I'll lose 100+ hairs in the shower, but the follicles don't get choked/closed by DHT. Most of my hair loss is actually 'shedding'. It will grow back. I believe that Nizoral/Retiva actually will improve the diameter your existing hair. Use 4-5times a week. Massage it in for 1-2minutes and leave it on your hair for 4-5minutes thereafter.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I think my hair might be thinning due to stress. It is hard to tell and I'm not sure if I actually am or just imagining things.

I'll give nizoral a try if you say it works.

I can't see the blog, can you post a link to it ? I just see a single picture of you at the one site that you posted earlier, not a list of pics.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
So use nizoral and revita together ? what's the best way to use them ?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
So use nizoral and revita together ? what's the best way to use them ?
not together, I just mentioned that both have the active ingredient of Ketoconazole.

Buy the Revita (must order online), use it 5-7x a week. Rotate it with Nioxin, Head&Shoulders, or some other shampoo.

You can buy the Nizoral in the grocery store. It can cause dry scalp because it's pretty strong. Revita won't though, it's got a million and one ingredients to speed hair growth :afro:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The log looks great so far. Your hair loss is not nearly as bad as some people's I've seen. One of my friends has patchy spots all over his head. Another is virtually bald now. He just has hair on the sides.

Good luck !

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Just off topic:

How has your physique been and exercising since you stopped taking hormones in 2005 ? What supplements do you currently run now as opposed to what you used before ?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Just off topic:

How has your physique been and exercising since you stopped taking hormones in 2005 ? What supplements do you currently run now as opposed to what you used before ?
I've kept the size pretty much. Maintained a weight of 215-225lbs while losing fat. The strength went down the shitter though, I never really committed to training for strength however.

Supplements, are only 'supplement' to a good diet, however I like Animal Pump, Megadosing Fish Oil, Quality Whey Powders..Liver tabs, the basics pretty much.. The only one I 'need' I think is the preworkout stuff

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I tried Nizoral. They stuff dried the hell out of my hair. I think I might give Revita a try.

I'm having a hard time determining if I am normally shedding or if I am losing hair.

I will sometimes lose like 5-6 hairs in the shower a day.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
haha 5-6 hairs... I would lose 70+, but regrow it. don't stress on that

like most doctors will confirm 'you don't really lose hair' it's all about the follicle closing. think chemotherpy... hair falls out, but the follicles are still good to go after treatment

kbtoy31

kbtoy31

Awards
  • Established
haha 5-6 hairs... I would lose 70+, but regrow it. don't stress on that

like most doctors will confirm 'you don't really lose hair' it's all about the follicle closing. think chemotherpy... hair falls out, but the follicles are still good to go after treatment
CED I got a question for ya. I understand ur not a DR. or anything but do you think the Revita would work for me? i have pretty considerable hair loss. All on the top it's not completely gone, but it is really thin and mostly thin peach fuzz. I am thinking about getting the hair replacement done, however I dont really have the $ yet. But do you think that the Revita would work well to have something for the Dr. to start with? Thanks

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Revita actually thickens your hair follicles, but you can't stop using it.

Revita is the only thing right now I'm sure of.

LLLT brush I'm using, we'll see where that goes.

Shedding for me has slowed to a halt. Scalp itch is disapearing.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I tried Nizoral. They stuff dried the hell out of my hair. I think I might give Revita a try.

I'm having a hard time determining if I am normally shedding or if I am losing hair.

I will sometimes lose like 5-6 hairs in the shower a day.
That's normal.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
CED I got a question for ya. I understand ur not a DR. or anything but do you think the Revita would work for me? i have pretty considerable hair loss. All on the top it's not completely gone, but it is really thin and mostly thin peach fuzz. I am thinking about getting the hair replacement done, however I dont really have the $ yet. But do you think that the Revita would work well to have something for the Dr. to start with? Thanks
Propecia and Minoxidil. Both can be found in generics, about 1$ a day. Retiva can't hurt, give it a shot.

look at my blog and get Organin or Toppik for the crown. conceals the loss 100%.

kbtoy31

kbtoy31

Awards
  • Established
Propecia and Minoxidil. Both can be found in generics, about 1$ a day. Retiva can't hurt, give it a shot.

look at my blog and get Organin or Toppik for the crown. conceals the loss 100%.
Thanks I'm gonna have to try that stuff.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
get it at DermStore, not Folica.com
Dermstore = actually will send you your stuff.

kbtoy31

kbtoy31

Awards
  • Established
get it at DermStore, not Folica.com
Dermstore = actually will send you your stuff.
cool thanks. I googled the stuff and I was lookin at the toppik website. Since I shave my head now tho I'd have to let it grow in some. OK say if i want the close shave look kinda like when you first get in the military would that stuff work like that. Also if not and I grow it in can you style it after you put it on your head? yea i was looking at this website regrowhair.com. It goes into all the different options has a whole bunch of articles and stuff.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
yes, style before and/or after with toppik
the hold spray helps... but hair spray works just as well too