exit interview

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Due to personal and mostly professional reasons, I am negotiating with my soon to be new employer. There are many issues in my current position that are driving this change. My question is, do I go off and tell the bloody truth in my exit interview or just quietly walk away? There are ridiculous amounts of back room politicking and back stabbing going on. Others, at my same level, who chose to stir the pot, were subsequently fired. I know nothing will change if I say what's on my mind, but it sure would make me feel good. Thanks for your input

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
If it wont effect your new job or burn down any bridges that you might need in the future, I'd tell it like it is.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If it wont effect your new job or burn down any bridges that you might need in the future, I'd tell it like it is.
Agreed!!! If you don't want to represent a company, or what they are about, by all means .."tell it like it is". Unless you need them as a reference that is..lol

~Trip

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Is there a chance you'll need a good reference from them in the future ?

Will this have a negative impact on your career ?

If you answer no those questions then tell it like it is because God knows I will tell my employer what it's like when I'm out in June.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I'll tell you what I told my girlfriend about her old job.

She was going to tell her boss off before quitting, and I said "Don't Burn Your Bridges"

Low and behold she ended up needing a job and that same boss took her back. It didn't work out in the long run, but Don't burn your bridges.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, but when its a bridge you don't want to go over again, why not burn it?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
yeah, but when its a bridge you don't want to go over again, why not burn it?
True .... but why burn it if you dont have to? Could need it later for reference or God forbid this new job doesn't work out ... always leave on a good note I say

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
I'll tell you what I told my girlfriend about her old job.

She was going to tell her boss off before quitting, and I said "Don't Burn Your Bridges"

Low and behold she ended up needing a job and that same boss took her back. It didn't work out in the long run, but Don't burn your bridges.
Why does telling it like it is mean he's gonig to burn his bridges?

No need to go in all guns blazing but i think his employer would like to know why an employee of his has chosen to leave the company. Be honest with them. If they like you then they will no appreciate it.

I guess things are done differently in the states but in the UK and Aus references are not allowed anymore. Agencies may contact previous employers to confirm employment dates but are not allowed to ask specific questions about the candidate.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True .... but why burn it if you dont have to? Could need it later for reference or God forbid this new job doesn't work out ... always leave on a good note I say
If you don't attempt to help fix the problems, then you are a part of their cause. If at the exit interview is the only time you can be honest without fear of reprisal, then you should feel ethically compelled to use it. I know i did on leaving my last position, and my exit interview was with the CIO. He thanked me for being honest about it, and acknowledged that some of what I saw troubled him too but he hadn't realized it was that bad. He told me he was glad that someone spoke out about it, but also said he wished I had before finding another position as he would have liked to have kept me.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
honesty is fine... just dont come off like a whining biitch

speak with respect and tact, stick to the facts and not emotion or personal feelings.

employers like to know what the morale is of departments, so try to be professional regarding it and dont place specific blame on anyone.

if handled correctly..its not burning your bridges at all

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
also if it was bad enough for you to leave, why would you want to go back? it would just be a move of desperation, and you are better off focusing on finding a good opportunity elsewhere even if this one you are moving to doesnt work, as that is what you would be doing from day 1 in returning to the old employer.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I agree with Easy, tell them the truth. Who knows it might help someone that can't afford to leave the company but is miserable working there.

drunk

Awards
If you are staying in the same industry and in the same area, there might be a good chance that you'll end up working with or for some of the same people again down the road. If you can make your statement with out burning any bridges, then do it, otherwise I wouldn't do it. Even if you don't stay in the same industry, your new employer may call your previous employers for a reference. You want to leave on good terms if you can. CYA

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
depending on who is conducting the exit interview. if its your direct report or a hiring manager dont. if its hr go for it. that is why they have the exit interview. note - our company does this with a packet. some of our tricky managers tell the employee to complete it and give it back to them knowing the employee is supposed to send it directly to our HR. don't be fooled!

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
Night,
Man this is too weird. I just went thru the same thing 2 years agao and left my company for many reasons.
1) I had alot of anger built up and things were not right at my company so i built a case and decided to leave.
2) I went thru my exit interview and i unloaded proffesionally and went fromthe top to the bottom of the things wrong, safety issues and many many more things.
3) Went off to my new job and i was not making the money i was at the other place. 3 months later i was talkig to my old supervisor that was cool as hell and he asked if i would come back. I told him sure. well they had a meeting and all said i burned my bridge. I callled the plant manager and asked the reasoning for me not being considered for re-employment and he said, "we had issues with your exit interview". I asked what those issues were and he would not answer me, i was told that in no way would this be against me if i were to try to come back, it did! The plant manager asked for another meeting and said he would really like me to come back and voted me back in. I started 2 weeks later. So in my opinion, do your exit interview, be stern, but be catious in what you say. You might end up like me, back at the place.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Thanks for all of the feedback. As Easy mentioned, there are ethical issues involved and I am no longer comfortable putting my name on our product, considering what I know and what the product is. I work for a defense contractor, and product quality should always be first and foremost. Taking short cuts to meet projected goals is just asinine. I think being tactfully honest in my exit interview may be the best course.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well i can tell you in my career i've had a few exit interviews in which i certainly told it like it was. I did so in a professional manner, but i wasn't hiding my concerns or issues from taking light either. I've worked in the emergency room setting for the last 7 years, and i can tell you that i witness situations/practices/equipment that are unsafe and dangerous on a regular basis. I've never been affraid to address those issues/concerns for the safety of my patients and myself.

I feel the exit interview is important to address the issues that you found to be noteworthy of change or enhancement within a buisness or organization. I've learned over the years that one person CAN make a difference. I've helped make changes for the better before, and i'll continue to do so for the safety of my patients and myself in the years to come.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 0
Supplements 220
Supplements 0
Supplements 0
nightshift General Chat 14