Petty ticket i wanna fight. Help please.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I woke up a few days ago and had a ticket on my car for no city wheel tax sticker. $105 fine. Then i gotta buy the sticker. Which im late for, so i gotta pay another $75 for that...anywho...heres the breakdown.

Car is registered, Plates on, stickers on plate, completly street legal/stock and its new(06)

It was IN my driveway on the side of my house in front of my garage.

I was in bed when the ticket was issued.

He had to wake at least 30ft to my front window to put the ticket on there.

It was a sherrif.

Anyone know anyway i can go in and plead innocent? Wether it is right to privacy, private property, no cause, etc?

Im goin to start looking for an answer online but this is goin to be a huge pain to find a law for i think to help me out.

Any help is appreciated.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I don't know the laws where you live, but I had a truck, in my driveway that is in my yard, and they tagged it to be towed for an expired inspection sticker, and there was nothing I could do about it (it needed brakes and some misc. work, the towing tag gives you 3 days to "make it legal") I wasn't about to lose the truck, so I moved it into my neighbors garage that he wasn't using. Out of site, out of mind.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
oh i gotcha. I just went to another forum on Yahoo and got some answers. Its an illinois law apparently. Im goin tofight it and should win.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
That's mega BS dude. Good thing he's keeping your streets safe in Il. I mean, I can understand making it required to have all vehicles up to code with appropriate whatever on them, but to enforce something so mind-numbing when there are much more important things going on throughout the country atm; violent crime, drugs, and some recent shooting I heard about up there...

But I digress, as much as I respect and appreciate peace officers, it's somewhat disheartening when their priorites are skewed like in this situation.

Again, not bashing law enforcement, simply remarking on what I believe to be a poor decision made by one sheriff department officer.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
You cant ticket for that on private property. You can have expired plates in your driveway and they cant touch it until you park it on the street

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
You cant ticket for that on private property. You can have expired plates in your driveway and they cant touch it until you park it on the street
yea we used to have a classic in our drive alos and the plates were crazy old and they never did anything.

Oh yea, the cops are barley ever around my nieghborhood which is like a sub neighborhood considering mine is only 3 blocks by 6 blocks....yea.

I hope this goes over good and i know he'll prolly be back to try and nail me for something....

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Wow is that some crap. Looks like the city is trying to make some cash. Figure the average person does not hav the time to go fight the ticket. So they just pay it and the city just gets rich

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So the question is, why didn't you already have the sticker anyhow if its required?

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Thats pretty much ridiculous, bit I can completely understand. I come from a town where j-walking is probably the biggest crime each year - so the cops are a bunch of Barney Fifes. You have my sympathies! And good luck!

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
So the question is, why didn't you already have the sticker anyhow if its required?
Cause its a dumb sticker. $30 right. But you have a 10 day window to buy it. that = extra ghey. So i missed it due to school and being busy, and now it is $75. That and alot of people dont have them, so its really hit or miss. Illinois i thinki is the only stae that has the law, or its just cook county(mine)

Sad part is, i have to buy it either way. If i show up in court and they ask to see the reciept and i say i dont have one im sure theyll stick the fine still. I found my law and document to bring too.

So, time to try and see how fair the court system really is.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Thats pretty much ridiculous, bit I can completely understand. I come from a town where j-walking is probably the biggest crime each year - so the cops are a bunch of Barney Fifes. You have my sympathies! And good luck!
haha thanks man.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Where in IL?
Born in the western burbs of Chi-town. I miss me a good italian beef, vienna beef hotdog, and......Giordano's pizza.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
that = extra ghey.
Hilarious!

My Mom just got a ticket in the mail the other day and they have her name attached to a TOTALLY DIFFERENT license plate #. This is now the 2nd time this has happened. It's like they just randomly attach peoples' names to #'s. I wonder if it has anything to do with it being an election year?

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Hilarious!

My Mom just got a ticket in the mail the other day and they have her name attached to a TOTALLY DIFFERENT license plate #. This is now the 2nd time this has happened. It's like they just randomly attach peoples' names to #'s. I wonder if it has anything to do with it being an election year?
This used to happen to my dad. His 77 vette would be listed on a ticket, with the wrong plate, from a university. He'd call on it, and they'd say "Oh I bet one of your kids took your car and put someone elses plate on it in case you reported it stolen."
The one time I was in the room with him he said "Lady, its under a tarp in my driveway under 2 feet of snow"...because this would generally happen in december for some reason.
They'd never listen, and it all stopped when he sold the car.:wtf:

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I grew up in cook, Northbrook to be exact, what sticker is this of a requirement? The only sticker we ever had was the plate stickers. In up in lake county now (worst county ever dont come here the cops are complete *******S) and the plate stickers are the only things I buy. Are you talking like city stickers you need to have while parking on the side streets?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I grew up in cook, Northbrook to be exact, what sticker is this of a requirement? The only sticker we ever had was the plate stickers. In up in lake county now (worst county ever dont come here the cops are complete *******S) and the plate stickers are the only things I buy. Are you talking like city stickers you need to have while parking on the side streets?
Yea. They call it a city wheel tax, kind of like so you can park on the street. But even if not, thye pull oyu overand theres not one you get the ticket.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Where in IL?
Born in the western burbs of Chi-town. I miss me a good italian beef, vienna beef hotdog, and......Giordano's pizza.
HUGE bump to that. I'm from Southwest burbs. Orland Park. Live in FL now and am totally missing Chicago's food.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Yea. They call it a city wheel tax, kind of like so you can park on the street. But even if not, thye pull oyu overand theres not one you get the ticket.
What a bunch of hog wash bull****. Before you know it you will need 20 stickers on your car and each will cost $100. Why you need to PAY to park on YOUR street that YOUR taxes pay I have no clue.

Giordanos is over rated Lou Malnatis ftw

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
HUGE bump to that. I'm from Southwest burbs. Orland Park. Live in FL now and am totally missing Chicago's food.
Man your right buy me.(well used to be)

Im from Alsip. Soutside suburb.
Nickeys, Maxwell street, CJs Chicken & Fish, Portillos just to name o few of the popular southside original greats.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man your right buy me.(well used to be)

Im from Alsip. Soutside suburb.
Nickeys, Maxwell street, CJs Chicken & Fish, Portillos just to name o few of the popular southside original greats.
Cheat Meal Day just isn't the same anymore...

Stay safe with all these friggin shootings. My aunt was at the same shopping center at the same time as that Tinley Park shooting.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Cheat Meal Day just isn't the same anymore...

Stay safe with all these friggin shootings. My aunt was at the same shopping center at the same time as that Tinley Park shooting.
I have the bset cheat meal options, sorry man.

Thats crazy, it is sad that all these shootings are happnening, thats a whole nother thread though...

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
eh depends on local laws...in florida you can park 50 beat up cars on your driveway (yes private property) as long as they are all registered and have a plate.. they cant do much about it (unless its breaking a city ordinance.. but thats another story)

cities and states do this to keep people from having'u pull it' lots in their driveways

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
eh depends on local laws...in florida you can park 50 beat up cars on your driveway (yes private property) as long as they are all registered and have a plate.. they cant do much about it (unless its breaking a city ordinance.. but thats another story)

cities and states do this to keep people from having'u pull it' lots in their driveways

Yea that i can understand, also it may reduce the look and "respect" of the city per-say...

I think ill win this though, and if i dont, justice is not served that day.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
so in order to give you this ticket.. the officer had to stop his car, get out, look for the sticker, then write the ticket..
would he have any ability to see that the sticker was missing from the street?

it just doesnt make sense to me that cops would drive door to door and check cars in drive ways

does that make any sense considering that it was at your house in the driveway????

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so in order to give you this ticket.. the officer had to stop his car, get out, look for the sticker, then write the ticket..

it just doesnt make sense to me that cops would drive door to door and check cars in drive ways

does that make any sense considering that it was at your house in the driveway????

Could have been a rookie, they are always lookin for "brownie points".

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Get the cop for trespassing on private property.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established

No chance. 30 or so feet from street to my front windshield. Facing away from the street. AND it was snowing a bit. I saw him when i walked my dog on my lawn sittin a few houses away, i have seen him cruise through before, not sure if hes a rook or note.

He is a sheriff, not a city guy, which sucks even more.

I am definetly thinking that they hope just to get the fine....well well well, what the law doesnt know is i love a godo fight. Especially one i know i may win. I have no issues with law until the powers are abused. In this case i will not fold to the man.

GAME ON!:bb3:

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Id fight it. When I got the ticket for "illegal sound amplification" I requested trial by judge and it was thrown out. It is time we all stand up and fight!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Just don't drive there without that sticker.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
No chance. 30 or so feet from street to my front windshield. Facing away from the street. AND it was snowing a bit. I saw him when i walked my dog on my lawn sittin a few houses away, i have seen him cruise through before, not sure if hes a rook or note.

He is a sheriff, not a city guy, which sucks even more.

I am definetly thinking that they hope just to get the fine....well well well, what the law doesnt know is i love a godo fight. Especially one i know i may win. I have no issues with law until the powers are abused. In this case i will not fold to the man.

GAME ON!:bb3:
just look up the law.. you might be required to have it... but being on private property.. you could claim it a disabled vehicle...
in which case you might not need that specific tag. or claim its a 'farm vehicle' which means it doesnt need normal tags because its only used on private property (ie the cop cant prove that this vehicle has ever left your private property...)

point is...look up the specific law that requires this sticker... they might not be able to cite you for it since you were not curb parked in the specific area. if you know any cops.. not a bad idea to get their input as well. i dont recommend asking random cops bc they get annoyed.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
just look up the law.. you might be required to have it... but being on private property.. you could claim it a disabled vehicle...
in which case you might not need that specific tag. or claim its a 'farm vehicle' which means it doesnt need normal tags because its only used on private property (ie the cop cant prove that this vehicle has ever left your private property...)

point is...look up the specific law that requires this sticker... they might not be able to cite you for it since you were not curb parked in the specific area. if you know any cops.. not a bad idea to get their input as well. i dont recommend asking random cops bc they get annoyed.
way ahead of you bro. I never jump in eyes closed. I got the law and printed it up for whenever i go to court, says public way, nothing about being able to go onto private property.

I asked a friend at work doing police stuff, he said no he cant and he is goin to ask his uncle for me.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Just don't drive there without that sticker.
haha yea, i figured theyd ask if i have it and when i dont have a reciept and sticker theyll just stick me with it. Ill be ready...oh i will.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How big is the easement in your area? if the front of the car was 30 feet from the road, i'm guessing the tail end was near the sidewalk? most areas the easement is 25 feet if I recall right

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
How big is the easement in your area? if the front of the car was 30 feet from the road, i'm guessing the tail end was near the sidewalk? most areas the easement is 25 feet if I recall right
i dont live in that kind of area. road and at the side our back drive, where i park is gravel, no side walks. just a driveway off the side of the road. it was most certainly on my property.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in almost anyplace i've lived, there is an easement where the first x feet in is considered to be county property. Some people call it the "right of way". thats where things like phone lines, gas lines, power, etc are buried. Would be a good idea to know what that distance is in your area, and be prepared to state your car was far enough up the driveway that it wasn't in the easement :)

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
well either way my cars back end dint start till about 10-15 feet off the street.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I know when I was in cook the first 3 feet was "state"

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
where i'm at its something crazy like 25 feet. but thats cause electricity is done in ground too, and we have sidewalks.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
25 feet :jaw: Thats almost our entire front yard. I hope you get a tax break since its "their land"

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
holy crap! 25ft?! geez, well opur electricity and phone line is above, where the four pieces of property meet in the back yards(our neighbor and the peopl that live on the opposite side of the block, our yards touch, like a 4 square quadrant.)

so i think its considered above...?

ALSO, as i left today, there was an unmarked in my neighborhood, drove through the intersection maybe 100ft or so from my garage staring at me, goin slow. So i start, pull out my car. shut the door, sit, and as i back out, who else but this guy is coming down the street from behind me. So i was like "oh great, so they are tegeting me now." And i think they do for some reason. our area isnt great but its not garbage, but when they roll through, they seem to focus on me, never see them slow for anyone else.

Also, one night, a cop was parked 1/3rd on my lawn in front of my house. I turned the corner he pulled me over across the street form my driveway! he looked at my license and he claimed i dint fully stop. This was with my old car. I think he realized he was in front of my house and let it slide.

sorry. END RANT:

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Maybe theres a bust thats gonna go down soon? Weapons, drugs?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
interesting, that is odd. maybe there is something going down in the neighborhood, and the cops are just trying to figure out who is involved, shake things up some.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Wel...my neighborhood has always had not so wise people in it. Domestic, slight drug, the basics. I grew up with everyone round there and glad im not in it. Activity is way down though form where it used to be. I am wondering if they see me scome and go alot, to the gym, work, school, out in general.

I was never linked to the stuff and past officers know i am nbot involved. It annoying more than anything. I see people blow a stop sigh down the street every night at least 3-5 times. NO COP EVER TICKETS! they are never there. I walk my dog so im out there alot.

Oh well.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Pretty soon you're gonna have a helicopter following you around town Twitch. They're watching!

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
More than likely someone on your street likes to cause problems and prolly called in complaints. In my department we deal with these types of people all the time. They are always calling complaining that their neighbors have this car parked on the property without a inspection or a valid registration. What you described must be a local oridinance. In my area someone can have a vehicle not even registered and as long as its sitting and not being driven on a traffic way no one can get cited.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since a new LLC Properties company took over my apartment building seems crime is up. When my old landlord was around he would actually check out the people he rented to. Now this past Christmas Eve I have seen a guy in his car in the parking lot smoking crack in front of the building. Last Summer the police were at someones apartment(drunks) about every other day. There usesd to be assigned parking. Now people park wherever the hell they want. There is this lady downstars that is rail thin and anorexic looking. She has people come in and out all day and leaves both her windows open when it is 20 degrees outside. Yesteday my wife saw a guy carrying a 48 pack of beer in his house at 9am asking another guy if wanted to come have some beers with him. Along with this there is a "special" guy that asks for rides and begs for change...I really think one of tenents sells crack or something because there are constantly different cars coming in and out that are not recongizable as someone who actually lives in the building. Sorry I just thought this was a good place to rant about my apartment building.