Working tricepts before playing ball...

bigbadboss101

Awards
I did this before and didn't turn out well. Anyways we are in a softball tournament this weekend and Friday afternoon I went for a workout. I did chest, bi's, and tri's. At the ball game I couldn't throw properly. I played third and had problem getting the ball on target to first. Then when I was batting my arms felt heavy, and my swings were way off. I got on base 2 of 3 times, but the swings were ugly.

Is it normal for the tri's to be swollen with blood hours after a workout? I can do legs and play sports after. I can do any other body parts followed by sports. But when I do tri's they become useless for the rest of the day it seems. Once I have problem holding a 30 lbs kid. Last week after my tri's workout we went to play football and I threw the football worse than I normally would with my left (non-prime) hand.

Anyways, I will make sure I don't do tricep workouts before any activities that I have to use my arms.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Is it normal for the tri's to be swollen with blood hours after a workout?
Your triceps are probably fatigued after your work-out, thus the decrease in performance. Yes, this is a very normal occurence, and I think the precautionary steps you're taking are the right ones (not training tri's before a game). Actually, if you did no training before the game, or just a light full body work-out, you might just end up performing better.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, never do a full workout before playing a sport...all it will do is lower performance. And just to prove this....everyone go to a heavy arm workout, then try to shoot a basketball. Tell me how well you do :) heheh...