Skinny Dudes Now Cool!

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
I'm 38 years old.

I've noticed for the last few years that skinny dudes have begun to become cooler and cooler. It is now to the point where stick dudes are as hot as stick girls, or at least in modeling and fashion circles

This has been highlighted in this recent article in the New York Times.

The Vanishing Point

Are these skinny dudes just cool on the runways, the way those anorexic girls are on the female fashion circuit?

Or is this perhaps a trend that extends to the general population?

Is muscle out of date and retro "uncool"?

May be this is a reaction to the general obesity of this country where skinny guys are cool because they have become rare?

I dunno I would really like some of the younger guys to chime in on this.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah, i know. guess the weak skinny thing is hot now.
even my fav store A&F only sells those "slim fit" jeans. anyone with any size to thier quads is going to be rocking nut huggers.
i really dont get it.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
What p1sses me off about that is all the crap I had to endure when I was younger. I was skinny as hell back then - apparently I was uber hot according to today's standards. But instead I got picked on and laughed at.
So then I started working out...and now I'm vain and uncool again? LoL

It's like Murphy's Law when driving on multi-landed streets. Whatever lane you switch to because it looks like it's moving faster will automatically become the slowest as soon as you switch to it, lol.

I'll just keep on working out until it's cool to look retro again. Maybe I'll grow a mullet. :p

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah the skinny look has gone world wide believe me!!

i walk around London and all i see is these 5'8 guys wearing size 29 jeans painted onto their legs with check/flanel shirts and very gay looking comb over type haircuts.. fukc that! im 6'2 235lbs and stand out in a club like a saw thumb.............i love it!! when it comes to the crunch, i dont think chicks like that skinny guy sh1t in the sack anyway. Im not bothered.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nerds are cool now though also!. I guess I missed that change over though because when I was younger nerds were picked on a lot.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Survival of the fittest.
Only the strong shall survive.

There'll be a day when there good looks, tight jeans and flock of seagull haircut will fail them!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When will Mountain Dew swilling acne-prone gamers with bellies and BigMac crumbs in their unshaven stubble be considered teh sexay?

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Worst part of the skinny phase is trying to buy pants. I need a 38" waist to fit my legs but I only have a 32-33" waist

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Worst part of the skinny phase is trying to buy pants. I need a 38" waist to fit my legs but I only have a 32-33" waist
YUP!!!! and then you need a belt to keep them above your ass.
what ever happened to WIDE leg jeans??!!!

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yea I just need to get me some timmy's and start carryin' my 9........watch out
lol.
yeah i wear gym pants and shorts 90% on the time too.
but i`m still holding some hope that ill find jeans that fit in the leg.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol.
yeah i wear gym pants and shorts 90% on the time too.
but i`m still holding some hope that ill find jeans that fit in the leg.
I've got a pair of jeans from Aeropostle that I wear. They're the only ones. I bought them probably 2 years ago. They fit awesome. They're not wide leg but seem to be very wide thru the ass and thigh region, then taper down twords the bottom, then open up wide enough to fit over my shoes (I just gave a baby cut at the bottom) without me looking like a terd ball.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm 38 years old.

I've noticed for the last few years that skinny dudes have begun to become cooler and cooler. It is now to the point where stick dudes are as hot as stick girls, or at least in modeling and fashion circles

This has been highlighted in this recent article in the New York Times.

The Vanishing Point

Are these skinny dudes just cool on the runways, the way those anorexic girls are on the female fashion circuit?

Or is this perhaps a trend that extends to the general population?

Is muscle out of date and retro "uncool"?

May be this is a reaction to the general obesity of this country where skinny guys are cool because they have become rare?

I dunno I would really like some of the younger guys to chime in on this.
With the increase of obesity and general out-of-shapedness, it's rare to find a guy with a decent build as well. When I'm out, ladies are definitely drawn to my upper body, of course, my personality keeps them turning right back around ;)

Ultimately, if a girl is after twig-like fellas, is she really something worth your desire? If she was, you would've stopped working out, and started the coffee and cigarettes diet a while ago. Personally, I would rather die a lonesome non-conformist than go out of my way to be with a female who doesn't support the things I'm passionate about. That's not love, that's not game, that's being a puppet.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I rock the kahkis ... gives me more breathing room than jeans

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Personally, I would rather die a lonesome non-conformist than go out of my way to be with a female who doesn't support the things I'm passionate about. That's not love, that's not game, that's being a puppet.

BRAVO!!!!! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

well said.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
yeah kahkis are much better but sometimes i just want to wear a t-shirt and jeans when i go out.
You sound like my girlfriend :)

She doesn't like how I wear khakis and button downs all the time. HAH

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I noticed clothes being cut differently. Maybe its just the Ralph Lauren store, or Express maybe. I dont have huge arms, but the last 2 shirt I bought were kinda tight in the sleeve. Any ideas?:bb3:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I noticed clothes being cut differently. Maybe its just the Ralph Lauren store, or Express maybe. I dont have huge arms, but the last 2 shirt I bought were kinda tight in the sleeve. Any ideas?:bb3:
I don't own any Ralph Lauren shirts, but the Abercrombie shirts are really tight in the arms as well. I think they purposefully make 'em like that.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw this coming when I saw the transition from guys wearing loose jeans to ultra-tight, low ride, girl jeans.

Matter of fact, they now make ultra-tight, LOW RIDE, male jeans because so many guys were buying jeans from the girl's jeans section. True story...

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
There is this area in Dallas, known as OAK Lawn, A.k.a the Gayborhood(im not making this up) that must have started this trend.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I think this whole thing is BS.

Girls that are worth anything don't give 2 sh!ts if your skinny or muscular...to an extent. Girls go more for personality than anything, something most meathead weightlifters lack a lot of. Facial features are probably next in line, another thing a lot of weightlifters lack. Then probably comes body.

Take a skinny guy with personality, good facial features --- compared to muscular with no personality, avg facial features. Skinny will get the girl.

Skinny vs. Muscular all things equal, more times than not your muscular guy will get the girl.:bb3:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
YUP!!!! and then you need a belt to keep them above your ass.
what ever happened to WIDE leg jeans??!!!
I don't know, but I've been told ....big-legged women ain't got no soul.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
What p1sses me off about that is all the crap I had to endure when I was younger. I was skinny as hell back then - apparently I was uber hot according to today's standards. But instead I got picked on and laughed at.
So then I started working out...and now I'm vain and uncool again? LoL

lol

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think this whole thing is BS.

Girls that are worth anything don't give 2 sh!ts if your skinny or muscular...to an extent. Girls go more for personality than anything, something most meathead weightlifters lack a lot of. Facial features are probably next in line, another thing a lot of weightlifters lack. Then probably comes body.

Take a skinny guy with personality, good facial features --- compared to muscular with no personality, avg facial features. Skinny will get the girl.

Skinny vs. Muscular all things equal, more times than not your muscular guy will get the girl.:bb3:
True... but how many girls are worth anything... I KID, I KID

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't own any Ralph Lauren shirts, but the Abercrombie shirts are really tight in the arms as well. I think they purposefully make 'em like that.
abercrombie USED to have nice fitting stuff.
wait........ i USED to have arms that were less than 20s and a chest that wasn`t in the 52 range.:think::think::think::think::think:

maybe it still fits nice for 165lb frat boys:yawn:

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so the **** that really freaks me out is when I'm out wandering around Philly, I'll see some girl in tight jeans and I'll be thinking, "hey there..." and then she turns around and it's some fallout boy lookin dude. It's gotten to the point where if it isn't slightly overweight, I just assume it's a guy.

It's that whole new-punk-boyband-emo-heroine-addicted-rockstar look that girls seem to be freaking out over. But in the end, the msucles do seem to win out. The girls I know all insist that they don't like guys with big muscles(anyone over 180, ???) but then can't stop staring when one walks by.

Women.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established

FTW!

Go home and cut yourself slim, men are talking.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
It's that whole new-punk-boyband-emo-heroine-addicted-rockstar look that girls seem to be freaking out over. But in the end, the msucles do seem to win out. The girls I know all insist that they don't like guys with big muscles(anyone over 180, ???) but then can't stop staring when one walks by.

Women.
Exactly. Its just an image thing to think these skinny guys are cool and trendy but actual longterm boyfriend material i think they know they want a real man! Besides how can a chick go out with a guy who weighs the same as them. Would get a bit boring in the end when he keeps ordering the same salad as her.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Exactly. Its just an image thing to think these skinny guys are cool and trendy but actual longterm boyfriend material i think they know they want a real man! Besides how can a chick go out with a guy who weighs the same as them. Would get a bit boring in the end when he keeps ordering the same salad as her.
In that same frame of mind, what if he weighed the same/less than her? Could that not start a lot of bickering between the two? And unless you're Bruce Lee, you ain't doing anything to protect your girl. I'm sure there's got to be an issue with the feeling of security.

How can you feel safe in arms that are no bigger than your own? :bb3: Would you like to go to the pants party?

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
I'm not insecure. I just think people are mindless lemings. They watch the TV and do what ever it tells them to do.

Eat Sh1t Sandwiches! the TV screeches .... and the viewers cant gobble them up fast enough.

I just think this trend is one of those trends that won't work as well as they want because somethings are programmed into the brain (hard wired)

Women are physically drawn to more masculine figures it is a genetic inclination. It's hard to deprogram this stuff with fads.

Kind of like the Fat Acceptance movement that seeks to tell men that fat chicks are hot, and if you don't think so your "shallow". It just isn't gonna work no matter how you brow beat men.

I posted this article on one of my website's forums where the audience is mostly women.
Here are some of the female responses to the Skinny Dude thing.

Eeeewww!!!! That look is not healthy, attractive or remotely sexy.
I likes my eye-candy with some muscles
Yeah.....nope does absolutely nothing for me either! I thought the whole emaciated, heroin chic look was soooo over anyways??
I think it's disgusting! The frame of a "skinny" male model, in my opinion, looks far to similiar to that of a female. I have not one thing against gay people, but I think skinny male models, and some skinny men, generally look homosexual, and I'm not attracted to "gay" looking men (for obvious reasons). Men need to look like men, and muscle on men never goes out of style. Never.
Skinny men don't blow my skirt up at all. Hopefully this whole skinny thing will blow over.
Nonetheless, I don't look twice at a men like this. I don't think men should look like they can physically break - just as a female shouldn't look as if she is unbreakable (haha!). A wimpy, frail frame on a man is unappealing.

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
In the end it all comes down to individual attraction whether it be body type, ethnicity, personality etc... Case in point I love latina and black women my friends think I'm crazy for it, to each their own.

Last edited:
Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In the end it all comes down to individual attraction whether it be body type, ethnicity, personality etc... Case in point I love latina and black women my friends think I'm crazy for it, to each their own.
Yea true dat. My girls best-freind is all about skinny guys. She always says stuff about my little bro turning 18 because he is a bean pole. She think's i'm disgusting and always makes remarks about it, but whatever the misses loves it :D.

Me and my brother look very similar in the face so your right...too each their own

Itchyscratchy

Awards
Finding good jeans if you've got big legs from lifting heavy stuff is hard.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
What's the point of attracting girls if you don't have enough strength to toss them around in bed?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay, so the **** that really freaks me out is when I'm out wandering around Philly, I'll see some girl in tight jeans and I'll be thinking, "hey there..." and then she turns around and it's some fallout boy lookin dude. It's gotten to the point where if it isn't slightly overweight, I just assume it's a guy.

Women.
They say history repeats itself (with regards to trends) about every 25 years or so. Welcome to 1983 all over again.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They say history repeats itself (with regards to trends) about every 25 years or so. Welcome to 1983 all over again.
SWEET!!

/makes appointment to get A Flock of Seagulls haircut

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
SWEET!!

/makes appointment to get A Flock of Seagulls haircut
Have you seen some of the hairdo's these kid's are rockin'? It's not exactly the hair from "I Run", but quite similar in my opinion.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
another thing that bothers me is that when a skinny guy takes off his shirt and girls are like " wow, he is buff!" or "he has nice abs."
just becase you are 4% bodyfat and you look cut DOESN`T mean you are "buff"

you didnt get that way from working out!!! its because you dont fcuking eat enough!!!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
another thing that bothers me is that when a skinny guy takes off his shirt and girls are like " wow, he is buff!" or "he has nice abs."

you didnt get that way from working out!!! its because you dont fcuking eat enough!!!
Chad, if it makes you feel better, if I was really really drunk, high, and on clomid......I'd so hit that. :D

Don't let it get to ya buddy. "Cut", "buff", "shredded", and "ripped" all get thrown around way too loosely these days. They're arbitrarily defined, much like the term "hot chick", which a hot chick could be one of several body types, hair colors, and ultimately subject for some disagreement amongst critics.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established

Someone once summarized that nicely as: "There's a difference between ripped and Ally McBeal."