Anti-depressants and appetite

Formula94

Formula94

Awards
I just started Celexa a week ago and have completely lost my appetite as well as getting some pretty bad insomnia. Melatonin is helping with the insomnia, but my appetite is still non-existant (I've lost 6lbs in one week!).
For those taking SSRIs, which one has had the least effect on appetite for you?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wished I could lose 6lbs in one week

Formula94

Formula94

Awards
I wished I could lose 6lbs in one week
Not when you're an ecto and it's hard enough to make back those gains. I've only been able to get down a shake and maybe 1.5 meals a day. I haven't even had the energy to go to the gym for the last couple days.

I am going to stop taking the Celexa until I can get this figured out.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, if it's keeping you away from the gym and causing unhealthy weight loss then I would stop too.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
More common side effects may include:
Abdominal pain, agitation, anxiety, diarrhea, drowsiness, dry mouth, ejaculation disorders, fatigue, impotence, indigestion, insomnia, loss of appetite, nausea, painful menstruation, respiratory tract infection, sinus or nasal inflammation, sweating, tremor, vomiting

Less common side effects may include:
Amnesia, attempted suicide, confusion, coughing, decreased sexual drive, depression, excessive urination, fever, gas, impaired concentration, increased appetite, increased salivation, itching, joint pain, lack of emotion, loss of menstruation, low blood pressure, migraine, muscle pain, rapid heartbeat, rash, skin tingling, taste disturbances, visual disturbances, weight gain, weight loss, yawning

Rare side effects may include:
Abnormal dreams, acne, aggressive behavior, alcohol intolerance, angina (chest pain), arthritis, belching, bone pain, breast enlargement, breast pain, bronchitis, bruising, chills, conjunctivitis (pinkeye), decreased muscle movements, delusions, dermatitis, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, dizziness, drug dependence, dry eyes, dry skin, eczema, emotional instability, excessive milk flow, excessive muscle tone, eye pain, fainting, feeling of well-being, flu-like symptoms, flushing, frequent urination, gum inflammation, hair loss, hallucinations, heart attack, heart failure, hemorrhoids, high blood pressure, hives, hot flashes, inability to hold urine, inability to urinate completely, increased sex drive, increased urination, involuntary muscle movements, leg cramps, mouth sores, muscle weakness, nosebleeds, numbness, painful erection, painful urination, panic, paranoia, pneumonia, psoriasis, psychosis, ringing in the ears, sensitivity to light, skin discoloration, slow heartbeat, stomach and intestinal inflammation, stroke, swelling, teeth grinding, thirst, uncontrollable muscle movements, unsteady or abnormal walk, vaginal bleeding
Why should this drug not be prescribed?
If Celexa gives you an allergic reaction, you cannot continue using it. Also remember that Celexa must never be combined with an MAO inhibitor .

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Effexor XR actually increased my appetite. I dunno if you wanna start that though, once you're on Effexor, its a ***** to get off of. Good luck, and whether or not you lose/gain, I would stay on it, if it is prescribed to you. They gave it to you for a reason.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Stay on it, and talk to your psychiatrist before quitting. These kinds of side-effects tend to wear off within a couple of weeks/months. There may be some appetite stimulants that he/she can prescribe you.

When do you take the pill? In the morning? If so, I suggest that you eat a huge breakfast right after taking the pill, before it has a chance to kick in.

Formula94

Formula94

Awards
Well, I'm glad I didn't stop taking the Celexa because by 5:30 today my appetite came back strong as ever. Only break I've taken from eating is to go lift. Love it! (just hope it keeps up!)

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
You might ask your doctor about Wellbutrin. I think it is the same stuff they give people to stop smoking. I believe it is supposed to have the mildest side effects for men.