bird flu READ THIS!

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

bird flu READ THIS!

so some dude came in to one of my lecture classes the other day sort of as a guest speaker, but the point is he came to talk to us about the bird flu. it kills about 70% of the people infected and so far about 350 or so people in the US. i know thats not that many people but im only bringing it up because of the mass amount of chicken we eat. so just wanted to let you guys know that you should get your chicken from places more locally instead of the massive brands, most notably the ones that import chicken from china and other Asian countries. also you want the most natural chicken you can get(probably costs more) instead of chickens grown with hormones. just tossing that out their to let you guys know.

symptoms are same as a normal flu except it also includes death.

2. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Relax! Just choke your chicken and you'll be fine.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i know its not that big of a deal, we just eat chicken like no other around here
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

We import chickens from out of the country? Never knew that.
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.67%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by heebs10 View Post
    so some dude came in to one of my lecture classes the other day sort of as a guest speaker, but the point is he came to talk to us about the bird flu. it kills about 70% of the people infected and so far about 350 or so people in the US. i know thats not that many people but im only bringing it up because of the mass amount of chicken we eat. so just wanted to let you guys know that you should get your chicken from places more locally instead of the massive brands, most notably the ones that import chicken from china and other Asian countries. also you want the most natural chicken you can get(probably costs more) instead of chickens grown with hormones. just tossing that out their to let you guys know.

Influenza itself kills many thousands of people every year, especially in the immunosuppressed, the very young, and the elderly. The bird flu is a nasty variation of the strain, however the cases have been mostly isolated incidents and certainly not an epidemic by any means. I have yet to see one walk through the E.R. myself.

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    Influenza itself kills many thousands of people every year, especially in the immunosuppressed, the very young, and the elderly. The bird flu is a nasty variation of the strain, however the cases have been mostly isolated incidents and certainly not an epidemic by any means. I have yet to see one walk through the E.R. myself.
    true. when the dude told us about it he made it seem like a bigger deal. im sure no worries
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.13%

Quote Originally Posted by heebs10 View Post

Dude,your'e facts are wrong.....there have been no confirmed cases of bird-flu in humans let alone birds yet...in the United States! The 350 cases the speaker was talking about was in other parts of the world.....dont' freak out..
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.67%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tegman View Post
    Dude,your'e facts are wrong.....there have been no confirmed cases of bird-flu in humans let alone birds yet...in the United States! The 350 cases the speaker was talking about was in other parts of the world.....dont' freak out..
    True there hasn't been any documented cases in this country yet, however the potential for widespread dissemination as with many viral illnesses exists. It's not believed that the avian flu virus crosses over to human infection at any significant rate. Prevention is key in which the CDC has taken measures already. By no means is there any reason to be overly concerned however at this point.

Legendary

9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tegman View Post
    not freaking out at all, just passing the word on. it was news to me so just thought i would mention it.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.92%

would like to add my 2cents...

if you came across a deaded chicken infected with birdflu on the side of the road, picked the clucker up and took it home you could still eat it IF you cooked it thoroughly.

there is very little, if none what-so-ever, chance of you getting bird flu through properly cooked chicken.

over here in the UK we had a bernard matthews turkey farm discover a birdflu outbreak, it got it's chickens from turkey and the majority of the produce was sold as chicken nuggets and chicken slices... most of which are eaten by children!

no-one was infected... the food had to be prepared to a certain standard which surpassed the survivability of the birdflu virus.

this is the benefit of living in a developed western country where we have such high standards... don't sweat.

if you want to know something super scary, it's that despite what our governments tell us, there are no contingency plans for a birdflu outbreak. no-one knows the strain of the virus until it emerges and even, then to produce any amount of vaccine will take months if not longer... and then to make things even worse... haha... it takes a long period of time for that vaccine to work in the body. it has to build up to work.

if it happens we're screwed. my advice... don't go around having bum sex with any chickens!
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.26%

I once heard that it is almost impossible to pass from bird to human. Also, if you like conspiracies, check out "the bird flu hoax". Just google it. Donald Rumsfeld pushed the government to purchase extra large amounts of Tamiflu vaccines...he had stocks in the company that made it. So says the theory. Anyhow, thanks for the heads up anyways. I never thought about eating it.
  12. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.63%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

When your numbers up your numbers up, THATS IT!
    I aint about to live in fear of some freakin chickens.

-RR
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.67%

Bring on the crazy chickens!!

Legendary

14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.25%

It would only be dangerous if it mutated into a variation that could infect humans. Influenza mutations have happened before and caused epidemics. More people died of the Spanish Flu than casualties in WWI.

The risk is not in eating the birds, but having their diseases mutate to a form that is infectious to humans.

I think it is against the law to give hormones to poultry in the United States. Free range is the best chicken - they get to eat bugs and peck at the dirt. Caged birds are fed a crappy soy diet.
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.67%

Quote Originally Posted by Lacradocious View Post
    It would only be dangerous if it mutated into a variation that could infect humans. Influenza mutations have happened before and caused epidemics. More people died of the Spanish Flu than casualties in WWI.

The risk is not in eating the birds, but having their diseases mutate to a form that is infectious to humans.

I think it is against the law to give hormones to poultry in the United States. Free range is the best chicken - they get to eat bugs and peck at the dirt. Caged birds are fed a crappy soy diet.
    Viral mutations are indeed not only unpredictable, but are often very communicable and deadly.

The spanish flu pandemic was a preview of how deadly an incidence this could manifest into. Containment is the only means of controling it initially when something of a similar magnitude happens again......and it will in due time.

Legendary

Similar Forum Threads

1. ALABAMA....anyone from here please read this
    By Customizer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 02:43 PM
  2. If you're not a sock puppet then read this
    By FalseProphet in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 02:50 AM
  3. Anyone going to the IRONMAN, read this...
    By OVRT in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 09:44 PM
  4. LMAO!! I am almost crying reading this!!
    By windwords7 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 05:49 PM
  5. If You Want To Lose Weight....read This!
    By Blindfaith in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-01-2003, 05:40 PM