bird flu READ THIS!

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
so some dude came in to one of my lecture classes the other day sort of as a guest speaker, but the point is he came to talk to us about the bird flu. it kills about 70% of the people infected and so far about 350 or so people in the US. i know thats not that many people but im only bringing it up because of the mass amount of chicken we eat. so just wanted to let you guys know that you should get your chicken from places more locally instead of the massive brands, most notably the ones that import chicken from china and other Asian countries. also you want the most natural chicken you can get(probably costs more) instead of chickens grown with hormones. just tossing that out their to let you guys know.

symptoms are same as a normal flu except it also includes death.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
i know its not that big of a deal, we just eat chicken like no other around here

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
We import chickens from out of the country? Never knew that.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so some dude came in to one of my lecture classes the other day sort of as a guest speaker, but the point is he came to talk to us about the bird flu. it kills about 70% of the people infected and so far about 350 or so people in the US. i know thats not that many people but im only bringing it up because of the mass amount of chicken we eat. so just wanted to let you guys know that you should get your chicken from places more locally instead of the massive brands, most notably the ones that import chicken from china and other Asian countries. also you want the most natural chicken you can get(probably costs more) instead of chickens grown with hormones. just tossing that out their to let you guys know.

Influenza itself kills many thousands of people every year, especially in the immunosuppressed, the very young, and the elderly. The bird flu is a nasty variation of the strain, however the cases have been mostly isolated incidents and certainly not an epidemic by any means. I have yet to see one walk through the E.R. myself.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
Influenza itself kills many thousands of people every year, especially in the immunosuppressed, the very young, and the elderly. The bird flu is a nasty variation of the strain, however the cases have been mostly isolated incidents and certainly not an epidemic by any means. I have yet to see one walk through the E.R. myself.
true. when the dude told us about it he made it seem like a bigger deal. im sure no worries

tegman

Awards

Dude,your'e facts are wrong.....there have been no confirmed cases of bird-flu in humans let alone birds yet...in the United States! The 350 cases the speaker was talking about was in other parts of the world.....dont' freak out..

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude,your'e facts are wrong.....there have been no confirmed cases of bird-flu in humans let alone birds yet...in the United States! The 350 cases the speaker was talking about was in other parts of the world.....dont' freak out..
True there hasn't been any documented cases in this country yet, however the potential for widespread dissemination as with many viral illnesses exists. It's not believed that the avian flu virus crosses over to human infection at any significant rate. Prevention is key in which the CDC has taken measures already. By no means is there any reason to be overly concerned however at this point.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
not freaking out at all, just passing the word on. it was news to me so just thought i would mention it.

rokkus

Awards
would like to add my 2cents...

if you came across a deaded chicken infected with birdflu on the side of the road, picked the clucker up and took it home you could still eat it IF you cooked it thoroughly.

there is very little, if none what-so-ever, chance of you getting bird flu through properly cooked chicken.

over here in the UK we had a bernard matthews turkey farm discover a birdflu outbreak, it got it's chickens from turkey and the majority of the produce was sold as chicken nuggets and chicken slices... most of which are eaten by children!

no-one was infected... the food had to be prepared to a certain standard which surpassed the survivability of the birdflu virus.

this is the benefit of living in a developed western country where we have such high standards... don't sweat.

if you want to know something super scary, it's that despite what our governments tell us, there are no contingency plans for a birdflu outbreak. no-one knows the strain of the virus until it emerges and even, then to produce any amount of vaccine will take months if not longer... and then to make things even worse... haha... it takes a long period of time for that vaccine to work in the body. it has to build up to work.

if it happens we're screwed. my advice... don't go around having bum sex with any chickens!

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I once heard that it is almost impossible to pass from bird to human. Also, if you like conspiracies, check out "the bird flu hoax". Just google it. Donald Rumsfeld pushed the government to purchase extra large amounts of Tamiflu vaccines...he had stocks in the company that made it. So says the theory. Anyhow, thanks for the heads up anyways. I never thought about eating it.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
When your numbers up your numbers up, THATS IT!
I aint about to live in fear of some freakin chickens.

-RR

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bring on the crazy chickens!!

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
It would only be dangerous if it mutated into a variation that could infect humans. Influenza mutations have happened before and caused epidemics. More people died of the Spanish Flu than casualties in WWI.

The risk is not in eating the birds, but having their diseases mutate to a form that is infectious to humans.

I think it is against the law to give hormones to poultry in the United States. Free range is the best chicken - they get to eat bugs and peck at the dirt. Caged birds are fed a crappy soy diet.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It would only be dangerous if it mutated into a variation that could infect humans. Influenza mutations have happened before and caused epidemics. More people died of the Spanish Flu than casualties in WWI.

The risk is not in eating the birds, but having their diseases mutate to a form that is infectious to humans.

I think it is against the law to give hormones to poultry in the United States. Free range is the best chicken - they get to eat bugs and peck at the dirt. Caged birds are fed a crappy soy diet.
Viral mutations are indeed not only unpredictable, but are often very communicable and deadly.

The spanish flu pandemic was a preview of how deadly an incidence this could manifest into. Containment is the only means of controling it initially when something of a similar magnitude happens again......and it will in due time.