How much do parents have to do with how the kid is?

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
You know this is really not something I can easily talk about in real life but since this is an anonymous forum I figure why the hell not. I also imagine that this is the sort of place where people will have strong feelings on this sort of subject.

Growing up and being a little kid, I've always wanted to play football, all the other kids were doing it, and I wanted to do it for acceptance, and competitive dominance among other things. Looking back it really would've been a good thing since

1. I was not small for my age by any means, I was tall and fit for a kid, I wasn't too tall or fat or anything, I was the type of dude that could've been a quarterback.

2. I really didn't get along with my peers. I would get into fights constantly, I figure that playing sports would be a way to get this aggression out in a much more productive way. Also a lot of the kids I'd be playing sports with I would presumably be going to school with so it would be a good thing socially.

When people think of bad parents they generally think of neglect, alcoholism, absenteeism, divorce, and being poor among many other things but I think there's other things that are less noticeable that can affect a child's well-being. I really hate to be the type of person who blames their parents for every misfortune that's happened to them but I can't help but feel that my parents have made a few critical errors and it has affected me adversely.

My parents grew up in a different country, in much less priveleged circumstances, so I guess it makes sense that they couldn't get everything right. When I asked them to sign me up for football when I was in 3rd grade, they replied by telling me things like "We don't want you playing that brutish American sport, you could get injnured.", "You don't get along with other kids" and even "You wear glasses".

Growing up I remember my parents did, and still do, have a lot of pride of the country of their origin. Because of this they have always had a certain "coldness" towards the whole American population around us. We never went to church or anything, so pretty much we were isolated from the whole community around us. My parents wouldn't even let me have or go over to a sleep-over at a friend's house because of how paranoid they were of other people. I guess maybe it has to do with how "loose" the whole American culture seems to people from elsewhere. Some of you may already have an idea of how strict a household is in a lot of other countries. Speaking of which, corporal punishment was something that took place where I grew up. In the Eastern European place where my parents are originally from, it is culturally accepted (as it is in many other countries). When I was in 3rd grade there was a kid who lived down the street who had the usual "perfectionist" sort of dad and he had like a million trophies in his room. In a typical childhood memory this little turd wouldn't let me play football with him and the other neighborhood kids and we eventually ended up getting into a lot of fights with each other. If in a different scenario I had been playing football and I was actually better than him, I would have probably been able to impress him and eventually make him my b!tch.

My parents did not lack love or finance. Although the finance part I actually feel was detrimental towards me. I moved 3 times by the time I was in high school, I even had a girlfriend the last time we moved which was right before high school. Reason for this was that my dad wanted a bigger and more expensive house. I told him I didn't want to move but he just didn't listen to me. He would also spend months away from home at a time on business trips. Reason for this he would say is "So I could have a better future and a priveleged upbringing".

It might also be important to state my parents were fairly old. My mom gave birth to me at age 40, and my dad was a few years younger than her. I think their age made them more out of touch with how things really are.

But really when it comes down to it my parents never signed me up for sports or any extra-curricular activity, and the other kids got to play football, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, lacrosse, and pretty much everything else while I was just handed a Super Nintendo. The other kids pretty much had a social advantage handed to them, while around the time of puberty I was starting work up having a protruding gut. I got into some more "alternative" sort of activities on my own like skateboarding and playing the guitar. But eventually I also got into stuff like doing a lot of drugs. It just really, really, pisses me off that I had a disadvantage in the social pecking order of things mainly because of my parents. When I try to tell such things to my parents, it just doesn't seem to penetrate their skulls. I think it's really ironic how some people complain that their parents push sports on them too much.

Once again I'm really sorry if this just makes me sound like a whiny ***** but I really don't have anywhere I can talk about this to. I'd rather not see a therapist and get handed some pills either, in my current state I am by no means depressed or anything, maybe just slightly resentful. In the end though I feel I know a lot better what to do correctly if I am ever a parent myself.

Tell me what you guys think though, I'd be happy to hear from some older people here who are parents themselves or just anyone, I kinda originally meant this to be an overall general thread for parenting than me just venting... but oh well.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I refused to let my daughter (11) sign up for soccer, but thats because she is constantly challenged to bring home, do and turn in her homework. To the point where she had an F mid quarter because of all the missing homework (which we forced her to do over the span of a weekend, and she got half credit for)

Maybe things would have been better/easier for you had you gone to football, and maybe they would have been worse. a broken knee that never healed right, back injury, etc.
Maybe you would have been no good at it, and withdrawn into yourself at a younger age. You can never tell for sure. The saying "you can never cross the same bridge twice" comes to mind here.

I have an 11 year old girl, a 3 year old girl, and my wife is pregnant with our 3rd, a boy. If he wants to play football or baseball or whatever its good by me, so long as it doesn't affect his school work

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I can understand your frustration, my mom was the same way about sports. But while your parents may not have wanted you to play because of cultural integration, my mom wouldn't let me play because of her own fear of me injuring myself. She was also very hesitant to let me go to other peoples' houses because of this same fear/anxiousness. Later in my life, her over protectiveness began to rub off on me, and from fifth grade to my first year in highschool I developed my own anxiety. I was almost old enough to drive, but I was to afraid to be left alone!! Eventually I got help and now everything is fine, but there was a period when I wanted to blame her for my misfortune. But I came to realize that she was trying her best out of love for me, she wasn't trying to spite me or give me problems, she was just doing what she thought was right.
Lifes crazy, and its only going to get crazier as it goes on, but you just gotta learn for yours/and others mistakes. You and I both now have an idea of how we would like to raise kids in our futures families, and its what we think is better than what we had. But we won't know until that day comes. I wish I could give you some great advice and make sense out of these experiences, but we're both in our early twenties, with so much more life to experience. I guess we just have to do what our parents did too - try to do whats best, from what little we know!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I'm guessing that you feel as if a part of your youth might have been robbed ? I'm a football coach and played through college. I can't imagine how my life would have been without sports. I also played baseball and did the shot put in track during high school. Sports are the best way to enhance your high school experience. You meet lots of ladies, you make good friends, some which I still hang out with occasionally, and you learn what you're made of when you challenge yourself.

However, sports don't define who I am as a person, they're a part of my identity but that's about it. You can't live in the past if you want to improve your future. I believe some things happen for a reason. I try to think of these things as a blessing in disguise or an obstacle that was created to make me a stronger person. This mentality works for me, maybe you should tinker with adopting it :)

tattoopierced1

I really didnt care for sports growing up, although I felt pressured by my father to participate in them. Now that I'm older, I have such a competitive drive that I never had growing up. I have no idea why this happened so late in life, but in the past 2-3 years I've been uber competitive.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I resented many things my parents did growing up. Then I moved out of the house and have a life of my own. I am responsible for who I am. I'm in charge of the things I choose to do and the feelings I have.

So you missed football, nows your chance there are plenty of pro football leagues you can join for adults...go play! Or join something that interests you now. As a parent of 3 kids I can tell you its not easy. Many things I do my kids don't like or understand. But there are very good reasons behind it.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Parents have everything to do with how their kids turn out. Yes, ultimately the decisions the child makes when they grow up are their own, and the parents should not be forced to take any of the blame; however, they influence the child completely.

So many parents I see nowadays are pathetic. They are worried so much about being their child's best friend. A good parent is not a best friend. I don't see enough parents practicing tough love anymore.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Parents have everything to do with how their kids turn out. Yes, ultimately the decisions the child makes when they grow up are their own, and the parents should not be forced to take any of the blame; however, they influence the child completely.

So many parents I see nowadays are pathetic. They are worried so much about being their child's best friend. A good parent is not a best friend. I don't see enough parents practicing tough love anymore.
Wow. AMEN!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is an age old question, Nature vs. Nurture, and has not been solved.

Is there an effect? Most definitely. Is it insurmountable? By no means...depends on how strong you are in your own head. Perhaps this is a lesson you should learn so that when you are able to have your OWN kids, you will know exactly what NOT to do and will be able to maintain perspective when the urge it to overprotect your "baby".

Maybe it is all just meaningless, and you got screwed...we all got it in some ways.

Maybe it is up to YOU to determine what it all means, both to you and your future kids....we are all lacking instruction books on how to "be", and the only ideal is what we forge for ourselves...I guess the task is yours to do or fail.

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards

I will say that there are a lot of spoiled pieces of **** out there and a lot of parents do cave in too easily to the children's demands, but I will have to disagree on not being a best friend. I think ideally a parent would be able to maintain authority but at the same time remain accessible and supportive. I enjoy my dad's sense of humor and easy conversation but I really hate it when he gets pissed off at me and starts calling me derogatory names and giving me all sorts of ****. When he does that I just end up losing respect for the guy, and hell I even get a tinge of resentment. I think things oughta be calm, respectful, and logical, yet assertive towards an offspring and really there oughta be no displays of anger towards the kid. I guess an attitude that borders on proffesionalism would be the best, it would probably get the kid further in life too in regards to knowing how to handle themselves calmly and be to the point.

I think two important words would be balance and respect when talking about parenting. You can't gain respect without giving it first, and a parent should give a lot of thought about just what the word respect means. If you're going to be living with someone for the next 18 or so years you might as well develop a solid social bond with that person, I wouldn't exactly call it being a "best friend" I think it is something beyond that. I think social and outdoor activities are a must in any parent-child relationship. Things like playing catch or having a cook out.

Still though I can't really say, I'm only 20 years old and this talking about parenting is starting to make me feel old!

I don't think I'd want to have kids until I'm at least 30. I think a lot of people don't really think about just what it takes to raise kids and the time and dedication and patience that goes into it. It's tough work, especially in this ****ed up modern world we live in.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will say that there are a lot of spoiled pieces of **** out there and a lot of parents do cave in too easily to the children's demands, but I will have to disagree on not being a best friend. I think ideally a parent would be able to maintain authority but at the same time remain accessible and supportive. I enjoy my dad's sense of humor and easy conversation but I really hate it when he gets pissed off at me and starts calling me derogatory names and giving me all sorts of ****. When he does that I just end up losing respect for the guy, and hell I even get a tinge of resentment. I think things oughta be calm, respectful, and logical, yet assertive towards an offspring and really there oughta be no displays of anger towards the kid. I guess an attitude that borders on proffesionalism would be the best, it would probably get the kid further in life too in regards to knowing how to handle themselves calmly and be to the point.

I think two important words would be balance and respect when talking about parenting. You can't gain respect without giving it first, and a parent should give a lot of thought about just what the word respect means. If you're going to be living with someone for the next 18 or so years you might as well develop a solid social bond with that person, I wouldn't exactly call it being a "best friend" I think it is something beyond that. I think social and outdoor activities are a must in any parent-child relationship. Things like playing catch or having a cook out.

Still though I can't really say, I'm only 20 years old and this talking about parenting is starting to make me feel old!

I don't think I'd want to have kids until I'm at least 30. I think a lot of people don't really think about just what it takes to raise kids and the time and dedication and patience that goes into it. It's tough work, especially in this ****ed up modern world we live in.

I guess it's all in the definition of a "best friend." If you are a true best friend, that should mean that you will do anything in your friend's best interest, whether they see it or not. If that is a best friend, then yes, a parent should be that. However, some people define a best friend as someone that will get sloshed with you on the weekends and let you do anything you want, and not try to change your stupid behavior out of fear that that friend will be upset at them.

Another thing this makes me want to bring up is this horrible idea that so many people have that if you are a best friend you will support your friend in any decisions that they make no matter if they are stupid or not. I HATE when I hear people say that. If you are a true friend, you will let them know when they are being an idiot.