Personal Trainer

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was thinking about getting my personal trainer certification. I know that there are a bunch of you guys on here. Did you attend a class somewhere near where you live? did you do it online? I would like to do it online at my own pace. What would be the best place to go to. I have the GI bill from the military so money for school is not a problem. Thanks

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Bump
I also am thinking about getting mine but i am a little skeptical with just purchasing an online curriculum. Any suggestions would be welcome.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i just took a look at it. looks good i"ll go with the full package for about 650. then resell it on ebay. Thanks for the info

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Go with NASM. Most gyms like NASM, and they have good continuation courses. Just about every level I training cert is meaningless, though. Keep up with the education, and keep up with the advances in the industry. Too many trainers I've met got their cert or their degree and just stopped learning. Was bloody aggravating having to work alongside some of them.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I love researching stuff and learning new things. I took the practice test and got a lot of the questions right. I figured i might as well get my certification being that for hrs a day all i do is read up on fitness, nutrition, and supplementation. I train 2 of my friends right now so i figure i have a good head start.

Last edited:
joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
whats the main difference between the nsca and tha nasm?

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
There are so many different cert programs out there it's asburd. I'm going to start with ACE(as I've heard it's national and very recognizeable), then get ISSA, then NASM. May as well just get a few.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
There are so many different cert programs out there it's asburd. I'm going to start with ACE(as I've heard it's national and very recognizeable), then get ISSA, then NASM. May as well just get a few.

I wouldn't bother with the ISSA. That's what I got first, and then found that most gyms don't list that as one of their recognized certs. Honestly I was a little surprised at how little it takes to get a level I cert for any of the orgs. ACE is a good one, but way easy, NASM seems to go the most in depth out of the ones that I've seen.

Not to sound like I'm pimping for NASM or anything. It's just that they may be a good bet for the future, because last that I heard, they were working with a couple of other organizations and colleges to come up with a standardized fitness exam and requirements. They're a big part of a movement to bring some organization and regulation to the industry. I'm just saying that it may be worthwhile to be on the right side of the movement to start out with, in case a couple years from now you need a 'NASM ceritfied equivalent' cert or some such silliness.