***The Official "Iphone Sucks" Thread"***

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok, so I have been eagerly awaiting to get my hands on an Iphone for about 6 months now. I finnaly got one for christmas (thank you mom and dad!), which I was not expecting because I am too old for gifts, and ripped it open to start playing with it. When I finally got it open I turned it on only to find out that it needs to be activated to play around with. That pissed me off, but blew it off thinking nothing of it.

I took it to my computer, installed itunes and began to activation. Now here is what really pissed me off!:

1) The only way to activate it was to pay an additional fee per month of at minimum $20.00 on top of my already $59.99 plan.

2) Upon activation, it terminates your old text message plan (which for me was unlimited) and replaces it with 200 texts. So I am paying an extra $20 a month to get less texts, Great!

3) After deciding to just do it (I don't know why I did) I quickly found out that the EDGE network is slower than 28k and sucks a big one for speed and quality.

4) Once getting familiar with the Iphone, I decided I want to put some new applications on my Iphone to make it even cooler and help make the downsides I listed a little easier. Again, Iphone sucked ass here as well because guess what???? You can't download anything onto the Iphone except downloads you buy from the iTunes store. What a crock of ****! So I have this $600 cool looking toy that I can't really do anything with.

5) Lastly (at least for now until I find something else), ATT charges you more than what you are paying for just to OWN an iPhone. You have to pay a $40 fee just to have the right to put an iPhone on your account. You heard right, you have to pay more on top of buying the phone itself just to own it and use it. And to make it worse, there is an additional $14 a month charge for some bullshiit iPhone/ATT special phone service carrier charge, a $2.00 a month fee for enabling text messages and internet, and a $1.75 fee a month for the time it takes them to put together your bill each month. None of this was told to me by the guys at ATT.

I for one am taking it back (30 day return policy on phone and service) and getting something else. FU Apple, FU ATT, this monopoly crap and total lack of freedom of ownship is why I will never buy another APPLE product ever again in my life. The iPhone SUCKS!:rant:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The product "iPhone" is an oustanding piece of technology and does not suck.

The company "Apple" practiced some questionable business practices when you consider the phone dropped 50% in cost after loyal customers waited in line to be the first to own one. Then you add in the proprietary and deceptive service plans/agreements that are needed to use it.

Here is a thread by a guy I know who was able to back-door through those issues and has had great success with his.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
All the various fees DO suck - but the iPhone IS actually pretty good. You need to "Jailbreak" the phone in order to "do" other things with it like download programs and stuff. I switched to Apple a couple of months ago (Windows to Macintosh) with a MacBook Pro and I'm really loving it all so far. Next, I bought an iPhone and then an iPod Touch for my Wife. I loaded both the phone and ipod with all kinds of goodies - including a Playstation emulator. :p

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The IPhone is phenomenal, so is its cousin the Touch. The network issues come from AT&T's outdated servers, which have far less capacity than a Verizon. Unlock it, and you will be happy.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would love to unlock it, only problem is that I AM A DUMBASS when it comes to tech stuff. Its too confusing for me to figure out. Plus, with the new version coming out, won't it brick my phone?

dazilla

dazilla

Awards
  • Established
great so mine is brand new and I am stuck with the ****tier version!

Pretty Much... unless they give people some kind of credit...

I heard mixed things about the phone.. i want one for the cool factor... but waiting on the 3 g..

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Most of the time I'm connected via Wi-Fi but when I'm not, the speed is fine...

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
Tell us how you really feel about it myth.....lol

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I hate apple, massive evil deceptive company.
Vendor lock in is what is wrong with capitalism these days.
Nice friendly tech like the Amazon Kindle, Open Moko and the ASUS eeepc are cheaper and ethical. And IMHO better.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice friendly tech like the Amazon Kindle, Open Moko and the ASUS eeepc are cheaper and ethical. And IMHO better.
Meh. They often popularize innovative technology and are usually leaders in collaboration and integration. Their third-party access and encryption policies are top notch as well, IMO.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If CrApple would listen to its users and make it user friendly with all the options people want like copy and paste etc.., make it able to download new 3rd party programs, and upgrades as far as the internet connection for users stuck with EDGE, then I would be happy because it is a cool phone, just sucks to high hell that you have to hack into it every few weeks to make it work. It should come ready to go with any options people want to put on it like the way your computer is.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like Verizons version better. The flip out QWERTY keyboard is too cool on top of the touch outer screen.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
iPhone sux? NOT!

ATT sux? you bet!
ATT sux harder for squeezing iPhone users for every drop of blood - I mean, penny? YOU BETCHA!

Apple sux for having to strike a deal with a provider in order to bring the thing to market? step away from the crack pipe....

There's plenty of debate about the iPhone price drop, with lots of hyperventilation from the "APPELZ teh suxx0r" contingent, but really the only thing *at ALL* newsworthy about this it is that it's due to the iPhone's astounding popularity - which is a direct result of the gizmo's capabilities and overall desireability.

If CrApple would listen to its users and make it user friendly with all the options people want like copy and paste etc.., make it able to download new 3rd party programs, and upgrades as far as the internet connection for users stuck with EDGE, then I would be happy because it is a cool phone, just sucks to high hell that you have to hack into it every few weeks to make it work. It should come ready to go with any options people want to put on it like the way your computer is.
Boring: should have left your sense of entitlement & specialness at home with your parents when you moved out. Out here, we pay for what we want, make a deal, or do without.

Dude, it's a phone, a closed system. Hack it at your own risk & bear the consequences like a man - you knew hacking it would be a risk when you started (or you should have), and you should have known that it might not work out according to your predatory fantasy - complaining that the manufacturer isn't co-operating with your misuse of the product makes you sound like a bad-tempered pre-teen.

All this reminds me of the old high-school routine: a slut will have sex with anyone, a whore will have sex with anyone but *you*. Stop blaming others for how you feel: Apple makes products that people want; doing business with them (or ANYONE) involves agreements on your part and theirs; those agreements DO NOT involve them agreeing to bake you a cake, tuck you in at night, or blow you just the way you like. Or, to put it another way, there's a feeling among some that Apple owes them for making such a a standout product, and they hate Apple for not making it all available for free, just the way they want. "iPhones, my Precioussss!!! Bad, nasty Jobs, not giving it to us! We hatez it forevers!!!1".

No matter how you approach it though, you can't disguise the nasty sense of entitlement that's laced throughout this "argument"; as a longtime AM associate, I'm sure you would never take this stance in relation to your supplement use...which is (apparently) better-informed and more level-headed than your iPhone purchase & use.

"Tell Michael it's not personal, I always liked him; it's just business."

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
:icon_lol: Comedy GOLD!

I see a course in practical economics in your future... :duel:
...then, by all means, buy them - and be happy!

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
iPhone sux? NOT!

ATT sux? you bet!
ATT sux harder for squeezing iPhone users for every drop of blood - I mean, penny? YOU BETCHA!

Apple sux for having to strike a deal with a provider in order to bring the thing to market? step away from the crack pipe....

There's plenty of debate about the iPhone price drop, with lots of hyperventilation from the "APPELZ teh suxx0r" contingent, but really the only thing *at ALL* newsworthy about this it is that it's due to the iPhone's astounding popularity - which is a direct result of the gizmo's capabilities and overall desireability.

Boring: should have left your sense of entitlement & specialness at home with your parents when you moved out. Out here, we pay for what we want, make a deal, or do without.

Dude, it's a phone, a closed system. Hack it at your own risk & bear the consequences like a man - you knew hacking it would be a risk when you started (or you should have), and you should have known that it might not work out according to your predatory fantasy - complaining that the manufacturer isn't co-operating with your misuse of the product makes you sound like a bad-tempered pre-teen.

All this reminds me of the old high-school routine: a slut will have sex with anyone, a whore will have sex with anyone but *you*. Stop blaming others for how you feel: Apple makes products that people want; doing business with them (or ANYONE) involves agreements on your part and theirs; those agreements DO NOT involve them agreeing to bake you a cake, tuck you in at night, or blow you just the way you like. Or, to put it another way, there's a feeling among some that Apple owes them for making such a a standout product, and they hate Apple for not making it all available for free, just the way they want. "iPhones, my Precioussss!!! Bad, nasty Jobs, not giving it to us! We hatez it forevers!!!1".

No matter how you approach it though, you can't disguise the nasty sense of entitlement that's laced throughout this "argument"; as a longtime AM associate, I'm sure you would never take this stance in relation to your supplement use...which is (apparently) better-informed and more level-headed than your iPhone purchase & use.

"Tell Michael it's not personal, I always liked him; it's just business."

So how does Steve Jobs **** taste? Sounds like you know it pretty well! lol. I never said I hacked it, so I domn't know where your argument is really coming from, but if you want to continue to flame away at me for disliking the problems people have with iPhone, then go right ahead and have a jolly time.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm on my I phone right now. And u don't gotta get their textnplan, I still have my old plan. 20 extra a month is well worth the unlimited data

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I wasn't even complaining and BW's post made me feel PWN3D. LMAO!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I like Verizons version better. The flip out QWERTY keyboard is too cool on top of the touch outer screen.
I saw that last night - looks cool. But - these high end (early run) phones are too expensive for my use.

I got the LG NV. It has the qwerty keyboard also - but only cost me $5 (with a mail in rebate).

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just because Apple has a product out doesn't mean that every person who buys it has to be happy with their plan, product or company. In order to get full advantage of a cellular phone and plan you damn near have to have a degree in deciphering cell phone policies.

You don't need a class in economics to know that many of these big companies (not just Apple) are set up in such a way to be very vague about their products. You spend six months and millions of dollars in advertising a product and never tell anyone of all the caveats on the same products. Knowing that people will not be happy losing out on certain aspects of their current phone/plan.

iPhone is a great product for many people but it also is a poor product for other's based off their wants and/or needs.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got the LG NV. It has the qwerty keyboard also - but only cost me $5 (with a mail in rebate).
Also a good phone and with the price you can't beat it.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Jay - was going to buy this Samsung phone with a 3.2 megapixel camera but it was $75 (with rebate).
I couldn't turn the $5 cost down. Plus - thought the keyboard was a great idea, can type TXT's way faster now.

Now I don't have to use the annoying TXT speak I loath so much.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
I saw that last night - looks cool. But - these high end (early run) phones are too expensive for my use.

lol wtf, i got the same phone like a month ago for my every 2 year upgrade and it was $100 after rebate. nonetheless, i like the keyboard setup, my gf is a few hours away and i prob send her a hundred texts a day, so the qwerty is clutch

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_1.1.2

Myth, go there. I cracked the IPod Touch in about twenty minutes. Dl the recommended first, have them prepared on your HD, and give 'er. The chances of having it bricked are ~5%, and once 'Jailbroken', the IPod far and away surpasses any other PDA on the market.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thanks Mullet, but its for ipod, i have iphone! I dont knwo how to downgrade to vers 1.1.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
great so mine is brand new and I am stuck with the ****tier version!
why did you buy the "shifty" iPhone? Why didn't you just buy it when the new one comes out?

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
For the record, I doubt the new Iphone will come out any earlier than JUNE, if not later. Wouldn't make sense to to release a new phone sooner than a year after the first one has been released. Att sucks and though Verizon was Steve Jobs first choice, they wanted too much of the profits and complete control over the phone. Wanted to put their own software on the phone, probably no mac software, etc... I recently bought an Iphone fully aware of the new phone coming out and perhaps should have waited but I don't care about 8 more gigs of hd space, and 3g seems spotty right now if your area doesn't support it. Time will tell tho. I'm sure I'll trade this one out for a newer one in time, so who knows.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
If you want music buy an Ipod. If you wanna make calls and txts buy a mobile phone. They shouldn't have been combined. How on earth anyone would want to walk around with such a bulky "phone" is beyond me.

Why do people seem to think the Iphone is the first touch screen type PDA/phone on the market?

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
If you want music buy an Ipod. If you wanna make calls and txts buy a mobile phone. They shouldn't have been combined. How on earth anyone would want to walk around with such a bulky "phone" is beyond me.

Why do people seem to think the Iphone is the first touch screen type PDA/phone on the market?
First buttonless phone, and first phone with video/fully functioning internet, not mobile phone internet where it's all blocky and hard to read.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks Mullet, but its for ipod, i have iphone! I dont knwo how to downgrade to vers 1.1.
Same process bud. Downgrade to 1.1.1 with the Firmware 'update' on Apple's website. Once your IPhone is JailBroken, there is an automatic SIM switch application, allowing you to switch to whatever network you like.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks Mullet! I woudl rep you twice if I could!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No issue. My jailbreak was quick and easy. If I haven't posted it already the site is jailbreakme.com or .org in your Safari browser and d/l the intaller.app. This is your general installer, you'll need to type in other sources. As well, if you goto imyz.com in your web browser there are instructions to put Hotmail in your native mail app. An MSN program can be found at meebo.com, which requires no installation.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
The touch screen on an iphone is silly to me. It loses its cool in no time flat. My friend owns one and he can't stand having to look at his phone to make sure he's pressing the right 'buttons.' It seems more cost effective to get an ipod with 60+ gigs and a cell phone which is generally free w/ contract.

I've got a razor. I rock, I know.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The touch screen on an iphone is silly to me. It loses its cool in no time flat. My friend owns one and he can't stand having to look at his phone to make sure he's pressing the right 'buttons.' It seems more cost effective to get an ipod with 60+ gigs and a cell phone which is generally free w/ contract.

Is your friend retarded? Seriously though, his gripe is he has to 'look' at what buttons he is pressing? For real?

:blink:

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I thought of getting a cracked iphone that works on any network, but I'm told that you have to keep cracking it since they always send software updates to it, to prevent this. So I just went for the Itouch and glad I did :D I like how it scans for open wifi networks hehe. That was the main selling feature for me. Well that and buttons suck...touch screen or stfu.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I think the Touch is a good pickup. I don't like cell phones, and am good without a camera. Same operating system and memory.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Love the iphone. I wish there was 3g but to suck the life out of the battery is something I do not want ether.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
I recently got denied by AT&T credit company saying in order for me to proceed, I would need to deposit $730. Pretty lame considering I just got financed for a brand new car no problems whatsoever. I'm either going to give this company a buzz, and try to resolve the issue or return my phone, and wait for the 3g coming out this year.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That guys is fricken hillarious! Read his other stuff, just as funny!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That was ****ing hilarious.

All that stuff is true, except once you jailbreak it all the things are possible.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

lol, your friend must be a bright one, those damn touch pads are ohhhhh so hard to use...

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established
Without reading every comment, I will just add that iLove my iPhone. sure it is missing some common features my Motorola had. I quite enjoy my iPhone and utillize the wi-fi quite often so I don't have to deal with the Edge network, which is quite slow.

-TF

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Got my iPhone activated with NO deposit. My only gripe is no instant msg. Coming from a sidekick it's a huge loss cause I LOVE texting and instant msg but the rest of the phone makes up for that loss. Hands down the greatest phone ever. Hoping in Feb when the phone is fully unlocked to third party developers AIM, and MSN, get added. Otherwise, no gripes!

Also BUMP for the availability, of 9 home screens, and the option to send your favorite webpages including this one to the home screen as a bookmark. Overall the recent upgrade was pretty SWEET!