Bad grammar drive you crazy?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Anyone else notice how poorly spelling and grammar are utilized on the forums anymore?

To and too, there, their and they're, the use of an vs a and so on. Don't they still teach contractions and homonyms in school?

I am not saying that I am an English major or anything, I didn't even go to high school for Pete's sake.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I still use proper grammar. When I so please anyway. It's not hard; I don't know why some people come off looking like idiots when they type. I mean, they DO still teach these things in highschool.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's ****ing horrible man. Hurts my eyes.

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm on a local forum here in Baton Rouge, & some of my "college graduate" friends don't even know how to spell!!!

I only finished 2 years of college, but I guess that 8 years in Catholic grade school taught me a thing or two... Might have been that nun in 4th grade that used violence to calm us down..:whip:

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I stopped caring after a while, it's no skin off my back if some guy in his basement doesn't know good grammar or can't spell.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's bad, it's really bad! I truely hate Cyber-Thug-Bonics!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone else notice how poorly spelling and grammar are utilized on the forums anymore?

To and too, there, their and they're, the use of an vs a and so on. Don't they still teach contractions and homonyms in school?

I am not saying that I am an English major or anything, I didn't even go to high school for Pete's sake.

What do you mean you didn't go to high school?

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm going to start repping for proper grammer...

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
What do you mean you didn't go to high school?
Just as it reads. Didn't go. I had more important things to do like get high and go to work. :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it is funny, I do it occasionally but mostly catch it and fix it. I have a tendency to have my brain "writing" the sentence faster than my fingers type it, so sometimes I blow it. There are a lot out there that are hideous tho.

What surprises me is that they really don't teach handwriting in school anymore.

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
handwriting - that's a whole topic in itself!! How hard is it to write like you're no longer in grade school?????

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I think I may start repping for avatars w/ hot chicks!!
The chick in my avy is pretty hot, don't ya think? (Mullet and Ubi do)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
"I've got nipples, can you milk me Greg?"
Damn BP youve been on a roll recently man. i forgot how much comical relief can be found here on the boards.

Im just like easy. often i think MUCH faster then i think and all my puncuation ends up just being seperated by ellipses instead..... oh well :D

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Well ....you're old and prolly don't understand the new way of text, and such....;)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Were you being purposively ironic by misspelling 'probably'?

My better judgment tells me no.

:blink:

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Does not bother me, I read phonicly... So I can't even tell

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
Bad grammar, drive you crazy - not another drive log :)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
knot every1 cann spell or use proper grammmmer....is some1 goin too teach and e-class? Wat drives me crazie is wen sum peepl like to go out of there way it seamz too use huge wurds and reall-e advanced grammar witch i understand but im sure more then half the peepo dont...in witch case its no better, why does it make you feel better 2 b so smart and advanced in your grammur? why not use reguler turms that we cann al understan?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I lkie the fcat taht you can esaliy raed sneetcnes weehre the wrods hvae the crorcet frist and lsat lteetrs but hvae the oens in bteewen scrambled.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I lkie the fcat taht you can esaliy raed sneetcnes weehre the wrods hvae the crorcet frist and lsat lteetrs but hvae the oens in bteewen scrambled.
its a gerat tinhg ieednd!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
and so I syas to her.. "yhea I'm porfcinet in egnlsih gamrmar, dnag ho."

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The one that annoys me the most is when people say, "alot."

It's not one word for crying out loud! I remember the day I learned that. It was in second grade.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
It's not one word for crying out loud! I remember the day I learned that. It was in second grade.
It never ends! I work for a big organization and we all have to write up job competencies. Well I did mine. My supervisor looked them over and and said my behavior was passive (it needs to be proactive). I argued that it was proactive. Still she didn't believe me. So just now I printed off 3 different sources to shove in her face when I get to work on Monday. If she still doesn't agree I even printed out the address to the Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University. She can then argue with them on the meaning of the word (they agree with me).

I'm not bad at spelling but I do admit my grammar and punctuations are poop.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Has your organization ever do the Right Path Profile? It's on point!

It never ends! I work for a big organization and we all have to write up job competencies. Well I did mine. My supervisor looked them over and and said my behavior was passive (it needs to be proactive). I argued that it was proactive. Still she didn't believe me. So just now I printed off 3 different sources to shove in her face when I get to work on Monday. If she still doesn't agree I even printed out the address to the Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University. She can then argue with them on the meaning of the word (they agree with me).

I'm not bad at spelling but I do admit my grammar and punctuations are poop.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can agree that proper spelling and use of grammar is important for effective communication. Everyone is at a different level scholastically and that can have an impact to some degree, however there are people who have poor grammar/spelling regardless of their education level.

I myself do feel that proper grammar is essential, however as the saying goes "You can't judge a book by its cover."

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree T1 - My complaint is with sentence structure and the over use of slang in text. Mis-spelled words are common, and happen regardless of your education background.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree T1 - My complaint is with sentence structure and the over use of slang in text. Mis-spelled words are common, and happen regardless of your education background.
Yeah I hear ya. Many people don't use proper structure in sentence formation especially regarding independant and dependant clauses. I can tolerate poor use of sentence structure, however the whole ebonic/slang thing aggravates me at times.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Me fail English, that's unpossible!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I hear ya. Many people don't use proper structure in sentence formation especially regarding independant and dependant clauses. I can tolerate poor use of sentence structure, however the whole ebonic/slang thing aggravates me at times.
I'm not necessarily concerned with sytnax and morphology here, but basic speech patterns. I cannot stand when I see this in posts:

bro.....fukin doez that cycle brah...i hit up 1grm of test e a week plus like 1grm of eq and the pumps were insane..fukin no libido thogh....does it up though! payce!
I also cannot stand when I see somebody say how 'gay' something is to denote an inferior quality to a product. If you wish to be an ignorant bigot in 2008, be my guest, however, that does not make sense. I do not see how a certain sexual orientation equates to the quality of a supplement.

Over-excessive use of punctuation and smilies also bother me.

Rant over and out.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not necessarily concerned with sytnax and morphology here, but basic speech patterns. I cannot stand when I see this in posts:

I also cannot stand when I see somebody say how 'gay' something is to denote an inferior quality to a product. If you wish to be an ignorant bigot in 2008, be my guest, however, that does not make sense. I do not see how a certain sexual orientation equates to the quality of a supplement.

Over-excessive use of punctuation and smilies also bother me.

Rant over and out.
Lol, right on! I think we all have our pet peeves in regard to improper grammar. I completely agree with your distaste for the quote you adressed in your reply as it's exactly what i can't stand!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol, right on! I think we all have our pet peeves in regard to improper grammar. I completely agree with your distaste for the quote you adressed in your reply as it's exactly what i can't stand!
It's visual pollution, basically. Things can be offensive to all our senses, and as text is the medium of conversation here, I think a certain degree of accord should be payed. When I see that, it honestly hurts my eyes..lol.

It's straining to read. Either that, or you and I are both 20 something going on 56.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's visual pollution, basically. Things can be offensive to all our senses, and as text is the medium of conversation here, I think a certain degree of accord should be payed. When I see that, it honestly hurts my eyes..lol.

It's straining to read. Either that, or you and I are both 20 something going on 56.
Mullet, i completely agree it's straining to read and hurts the eyes at times. Sometimes i just think....WOW...lol. We're not old, just wise beyond our years :D

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i guess the only thing that kinda irks me is the excessive........................punctuation.............ya heard?????

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
The one that annoys me the most is when people say, "alot."

I never did learn that in school, and I don't know where I picked it up from initially. I think a spell checker in a forum was the first to teach me, and that was in 2007. I've been writing that incorrectly for alot of years :)

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
I'm guilty of trying to type fast and using bad grammar. I didn't know people were so worried about it. Its one thing when you are B.S'ing with people on the internet, and another when im writing my college term papers.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm guilty of trying to type fast and using bad grammar. I didn't know people were so worried about it. Its one thing when you are B.S'ing with people on the internet, and another when im writing my college term papers.
exactly. and its one thing when you use all caps 98% of the time lol. ;)

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I agree completely BP. I think Mullet and I had discussions about this very subject. I can't say that I remember because I had drank a concoction of Absynthe and Ether just as I opened my PM box.

Piston, I use the ".........." to denote beats or pauses in sentences, to accentuate my points. That is hardly bad spelling/grammar, and a sign of a true storyteller.

It's all timing baby.........timing.

:D

BP for prime minister!