Steroids contribute to suicide apparently.

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
I have been hearing this line all day, and just came across it in print:

Don Hooton, who became an outspoken critic of steroid use after his son Taylor committed suicide after using the drugs
Steroid Report Implicates Top Players - New York Times

sympathies for his lost son, but I don't see the cause and effect.
No way I would EVER believe that sh!t. Suicide is 100% the person's own decision, nothing "causes" suicide. Period...

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
steroids cause suicide?!?!?!?!?!?! i guess crack is fine then.........or crystal meth. congressman fvcktard mitchell has no idea what he or his gay panel is talking about.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
i agree. I saw this last night on the news and had a debate with my brother. I just dont see the connection.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Low test is implicated in depression. Improper PCT could throw test levels into the toilet long term, and possibly CONTRIBUTE.

It is not direct cause, nor would it be much of a factor if proper measures are taken.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
Low test is implicated in depression. Improper post cycle therapy could throw test levels into the toilet long term, and possibly CONTRIBUTE.

It is not direct cause, nor would it be much of a factor if proper measures are taken.
well the media is using the story to validate their witchhunt, its clearly sensationalism. Not that I expect different.

I'm very curios to see what they do about all of these big names that were called out.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
well the media is using the story to validate their witchhunt, its clearly sensationalism. Not that I expect different.

I'm very curios to see what they do about all of these big names that were called out.
I know...and I agree.

But it would also be dishonest to deny it being a factor at all.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree with DSADE. Caution must be taken especially when taking a cycle that does not have testosterone as a base!!! Test (and DHT) is the natural base hormone that the human body recognizes for production of neurotransmitters and that properly activates certain functions in the brain. When a cycle is undertaken that does not contain a steroidal analogue that the brain can receive (blood brain barrier) and thus have the correct stimulus for neurotransmitter production this can lead to a drastic change in mood and well being. ESPECIALLY in someone who might have underlying undiagnosed mental health problems (and they don't have to be too serious to be triggered off by a suppression of test). Remember not all anabolic drugs have the same potential for metabolism and affinity for receptors in the same areas of the body as testosterone (thus their varied action). It is not as simple as androgenic vs. anabolic activity (maybe for muscle building and fat burning but not other biologic functions). So if someone were to undertake say a Deca only cycle (not a smart move in my opinion) this for example can lead to a reduction in natural test production. So while the person may experience an increase in muscular anabolic activity they may (and likely will, similar to the deca-**** effect it is partly CNS caused) at the same time experience a decrease in neurotransmitter production and most likely depression.

There is a very real risk if proper cycling protocols are not followed. In my opinion an androgen should be included in all cycle (no stand alone anabolics) if not in fact test in every cycle then at least some DHT derivative (but not Stanzolol).

Mr.50

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
The majority of people that you see committing suicide while co-currently taking anabolic steroids do so because they have pre-existing problems. I understand the science behind a bad post -cycle therapy and the issues surrounding depressed natural test production. However, I really get irked when I see the media and even some Ph.D's claiming that anabolic steroids change a person's mind and CAUSE them to commit suicide.

I would have to give a resounding no to that claim. I've yet to see a single study done that asserts with any confidence that AS cause severe depression. Look at the majority of cases where someone who is taking AS's and commits steroids. The tend to have past mental issues and/or low self-esteem, self image issues. What happens with most of the people is they base their self image off of what they believe will be accepted. So they decide to take AS's to achieve that image. There are two possibilities from that point. (1) They don't achieve that image and therefore hit a state of depression which is further complicated by test repression or (2) The achieve the image they were looking for, but it doesn't stop there.

(2) Say they've achieved their new self-image. (A) People now accept them and they have the tendency to become dependent on the AS's to maintain that false image or (B) People don't accept their new self-image which can lead to depression.

The problem here isn't Anabolic Steroids. The problem is that there are people out there with issues to begin with that believe steroids are the answer to their problems, when they are not. AS's are a powerful hormone which when abused by anyone can have harmful consequences. My only wish is that the media would educate people about the issue as a whole rather than focusing on this "steroids are the problem" mantra that they've been on. Perhaps what really needs to happen is someone ask these kids why they feel anabolic steroids are their only answer?

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
The majority of people that you see committing suicide while co-currently taking anabolic steroids do so because they have pre-existing problems. I understand the science behind a bad post -cycle therapy and the issues surrounding depressed natural test production. However, I really get irked when I see the media and even some Ph.D's claiming that anabolic steroids change a person's mind and CAUSE them to commit suicide.

I would have to give a resounding no to that claim. I've yet to see a single study done that asserts with any confidence that AS cause severe depression. Look at the majority of cases where someone who is taking AS's and commits steroids. The tend to have past mental issues and/or low self-esteem, self image issues. What happens with most of the people is they base their self image off of what they believe will be accepted. So they decide to take AS's to achieve that image. There are two possibilities from that point. (1) They don't achieve that image and therefore hit a state of depression which is further complicated by test repression or (2) The achieve the image they were looking for, but it doesn't stop there.

(2) Say they've achieved their new self-image. (A) People now accept them and they have the tendency to become dependent on the AS's to maintain that false image or (B) People don't accept their new self-image which can lead to depression.

The problem here isn't Anabolic Steroids. The problem is that there are people out there with issues to begin with that believe steroids are the answer to their problems, when they are not. AS's are a powerful hormone which when abused by anyone can have harmful consequences. My only wish is that the media would educate people about the issue as a whole rather than focusing on this "steroids are the problem" mantra that they've been on. Perhaps what really needs to happen is someone ask these kids why they feel anabolic steroids are their only answer?

:goodpost:

good read :)

I agree

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
steroids cause suicide?!?!?!?!?!?! i guess crack is fine then.........or crystal meth. congressman fvcktard mitchell has no idea what he or his gay panel is talking about.
this made me laugh:lol:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Certain compounds certainly can CAUSE depression. I've experienced it on SD..was fine one day, no real issues in my life..then POW 10 days into the cycle I was painfully and severely depressed. Fortunately, I realized WTF was happening and ended the cycle right then.

Of course the media is going to run with this story because it fits their bill right now. I do agree that suicide is a choice and to blame it entirely on the drug is disingenuous at best. BUT I do think users of AAS and PH need to be aware that some of these compounds are hella potent and have the potential to unbalance nuerotransmitters to the point of severe depression. Once you are armed with this info, you can then make the appropriate choice should something happen on a cycle.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I realize you can connect low test to depression etc, so using the same type of rationale, would you be able to blame women as the cause of suicides as well?

I know a few guys that thought about it after being hit with the "Oh, I've been ****ing your friends" hammer.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I realize you can connect low test to depression etc, so using the same type of rationale, would you be able to blame women as the cause of suicides as well?

I know a few guys that thought about it after being hit with the "Oh, I've been ****ing your friends" hammer.
Again, you are confusing "cause" and "contributing factor."

Could women be a contributing factor? Yes. Cause? Is there really such a thing?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
A "cause" presupposes that the individual lacks free will. I admit when the SD kicked me in the brain, I was put in the worst place I have ever been mentally...but I chose not to act on it, realized that it had to be this new compound and took action. Perhaps with tons of negative stimuli heaped on me things would have been different, but I still maintain it was a contributing factor and did not cause me do anything out of the ordinary...besides go fetal for a few hours. lol

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
A "cause" presupposes that the individual lacks free will. I admit when the superdrol kicked me in the brain, I was put in the worst place I have ever been mentally...but I chose not to act on it, realized that it had to be this new compound and took action. Perhaps with tons of negative stimuli heaped on me things would have been different, but I still maintain it was a contributing factor and did not cause me do anything out of the ordinary...besides go fetal for a few hours. lol

I'm glad you realized it was the superdrol affecting you, and you decided not to dye your hair black and wear eye shadow, your features are all wrong for it.

(jk, that doesn't sound fun, cheers mate :cheers: )

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Again, you are confusing "cause" and "contributing factor."

Could women be a contributing factor? Yes. Cause? Is there really such a thing?
Sorry. I actually meant contributing....

:burger: