Computer Gurus - S.o.s.!!

rick055

Awards
  • Established
So my hard drive crashes.

A buddy installs a new one, but I need to retrieve data from the old one which is still in the machine, albeit on its last leg.

Specifically, I need my Outlook Address Book. Anybody know where I'd find the files so I can transfer data?

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
Assuming your using windows xp look here C:\Documents and Settings\youruser\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

should be an .ost file and .odf I cant remember which is what. Just look around in there and save the outlook files and try importing the file into your new installation

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
Oh and you will have to enable hidden files in folder options to click into this subdirectory. Just use explorer and copy and past the list I sent above. Make sure to put your user name in place of \youruser\

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
Personal folders
C:\Documents and Settings\youruser\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
I dont use the adress book but it should be in one of those locations posted :)

rick055

Awards
  • Established
I dont use the adress book but it should be in one of those locations posted :)
First of all, thanks for the help.

Second, I can get to F/Documents and Settings, but when I go to open ADMIN1, I get an error message not available, access denied.

Any ideas?

tattoopierced1

you can do a google search for "hirens boot cd" it is one of the best boot utility CDs I've ever run across. It "may" even be able to fix your old drive, at least long enough for you to get things off of it.