Organic Chemistry

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Thumbs up Organic Chemistry

I'll finish up 2maro morning with my organic chemistry class. A pain at times but overall I really enjoyed it and got a much better understanding for a lot of things we talk about each day on here.

Glycogen replenishment, steroids and what makes what do what with different carbon positions and what to expect from it side effect wise, hormone responses to foods and other substances, the different foods and their sub forms and how they affect different things. There's other garbage in there too but I really liked the class, didn't need it for my major just as a science requirement to graduate. If anyone else out there needs a science requirement class and isnít too fond of some others I recommend this class. If I get a 93.6% tomorrow on my final and Iíll 4.0 the class, wish me luck fellaís
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

2. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Good luck with that. I'm going to be taking OChem in a few semesters as well.
  3. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

cool beans! good luck!
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Good luck! I'm supposed to take it next semester, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep it on the schedule. I'm actually "studying" for my CHM II final right now :
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  5. Senior Member
    Answers

you people are crazy. O chem kicked my butt! never in my life had i ever EVER felt that i couldn't ace a class until i got into O Chem. i hate that class with a freakin passion. i got a B though....... blah.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Answers

Same here, organic chemistry sucked from all angles. I got a 'D' in it the first time I took it and a 'C' the second time. It was a year long course accelerated into 1 semester. I had to take the accelerated version, although somehow I feel that my life would have been much better if I were allowed to have taken it throughout the course of 1 year instead of 1/2.

I ended up getting my M.S. in biochem through an accelerated program (5 years) with a stunning 2.7 GPA. Looking back I probably should have studied more than I actually did. I haven't seen a 4.0 GPA since highschool ,ahaha.
  7. Senior Member
    Answers

Eh, I'm a chemical engineer and I hated OChem with a passion. The first (not the only) chemistry class that made me honestly doubt finishing my major. And now I realize that OChem has nothing to do with my job and was pretty much worthless to me. Go figure.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Nabisco View Post
    Eh, I'm a chemical engineer and I hated OChem with a passion. The first (not the only) chemistry class that made me honestly doubt finishing my major. And now I realize that OChem has nothing to do with my job and was pretty much worthless to me. Go figure.
    haha yea mine too but whatever. I know it was tough to grasp some of the concepts and remember alot of the stuff for tests and to see that slight variation between 2 models you have to look over for 2 minutes to see the difference.

I just got done and I think that 4.0 is in my grasp. Turns out there was 5 questions of extra credit because they weren't noted "things to know" in the sylabis (sp?). On top of that if we filled out some paper for how the class could be better and what to tell next semester students etc.... was worth another 10 points on the final.
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

I envy you guys that actually have/had the willpower to get through that class. I hate all forms of chemistry, and I can't get my mind to comprehend, or at least enjoy the material long enough for me to sit down and study it. I used to have my eyes set on Dental school, and if I put half as much effort into school as I did bodybuilding, I would have gotten there. I don't necessarily feel like I failed myself, but I defintely found out I didn't want to be a dentist enough to force myself to study chemistry. I'm really happy the folks on this board are educated. Proves the stereotype wrong about meatheads. I'm a finance major now, was a bio major. My friend asked me the other day why I don't just get a degree in exercise science and become a strength coach; I had no response... (In other words, why didn't I think of that?) I'll probably end up doing investment banking or something.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I envy you guys that actually have/had the willpower to get through that class. I hate all forms of chemistry, and I can't get my mind to comprehend, or at least enjoy the material long enough for me to sit down and study it. I used to have my eyes set on Dental school, and if I put half as much effort into school as I did bodybuilding, I would have gotten there. I don't necessarily feel like I failed myself, but I defintely found out I didn't want to be a dentist enough to force myself to study chemistry. I'm really happy the folks on this board are educated. Proves the stereotype wrong about meatheads. I'm a finance major now, was a bio major. My friend asked me the other day why I don't just get a degree in exercise science and become a strength coach; I had no response... (In other words, why didn't I think of that?) I'll probably end up doing investment banking or something.

O for sure man. I think if alot of us,includeing myself, dedicated as much time into school as this we'd all be doctors, rocket scientist, dentist, etc....

I'm going to settle for kinesiology degree with a minor in dietition (sp?) Then moving on to physical therapy
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Answers

I just forced myself to get through it. I realized part way through that biochem wasn't for me. I was first considering being a doctor (ahaha, yeah right) then a dentist (ahaha, yeah right). I ended up deciding that I was going to get into investments, so I applied and got accepted into my MBA program in finance which is tough in a different way to say the least.

I wasn't too keen on the idea of being around sick people and slaving myself to my work (doctor) which is why I decided on investments. The business world there is an equal potential to make just as money as a doctor. The only difference is job security between the 2.

I'm glad I didn't venture down med school. The pathway to get there is not worth it, and neither is the lifestyle once you complete it, IRO.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Answers

This was my shlttiest semester I had all in college. Fall '04

-biochem
    -organic chem
    -nuclear physics*
    -calculus
    -anatomy
    -microbiology

I blew off organic chem b/c I could not keep up with it.

*my dumb@ss academic advisor said I needed to take this, which later on wound up being an elective later on #@!%$#@%
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    I just forced myself to get through it. I realized part way through that biochem wasn't for me. I was first considering being a doctor (ahaha, yeah right) then a dentist (ahaha, yeah right). I ended up deciding that I was going to get into investments, so I applied and got accepted into my MBA program in finance which is tough in a different way to say the least.

I wasn't too keen on the idea of being around sick people and slaving myself to my work (doctor) which is why I decided on investments. The business world there is an equal potential to make just as money as a doctor. The only difference is job security between the 2.

I'm glad I didn't venture down med school. The pathway to get there is not worth it, and neither is the lifestyle once you complete it, IRO.
    I agree. There are so many more benefits I think to being involved in finance rather than the medical field. It seems like a lot less stress.

My brother-in-law is a financial analyst and really enjoys his job. He defintely works hard, and just passed his third and final CFA exam. From what my sister says, he may be able to start working from home in the near future. That's very appealing to me. Granted, I want to graduate and never have to use my degree since my plan is to play poker professionally, but at least I will have the degree for a fall-back and use it if necessary.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

-biochem
    -organic chem
    -nuclear physics*
    -calculus
    -anatomy
    -microbiology

*my dumb@ss academic advisor said I needed to take this, which later on wound up being an elective later on #@!%$#@%
    That is an amazingly terrible schedule. That's like having eleven classes since you have a lab with each one of those sciences.

Advisors suck! I never listen to them. I just ask students a year or two above me that have the same major. They know their stuff.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Answers

I agree. There are so many more benefits I think to being involved in finance rather than the medical field. It seems like a lot less stress.

My brother-in-law is a financial analyst and really enjoys his job. He defintely works hard, and just passed his third and final CFA exam. From what my sister says, he may be able to start working from home in the near future. That's very appealing to me. Granted, I want to graduate and never have to use my degree since my plan is to play poker professionally, but at least I will have the degree for a fall-back and use it if necessary.
    I feel that a financial background is two-fold. First for your work, secondly to make wise investments for yourself later on so you don't have to work forever.

Business is slightly mundane to me, but I am so glad I never have to take another science class again. The CFA exam is a kick in the teeth. I'll make a run at it eventually and I hope I can get through it.

back in the day when I took my GMAT I didn't study for it for the first time and scored a whopping 500 even (this is below average). Pretty embarassing. I put in more time to study it the second time for a few months and got a 630 the second time. Its not an Ivy League score, but it works I suppose.
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

-biochem
    -organic chem
    -nuclear physics*
    -calculus
    -anatomy
    -microbiology

Wow, that's the worst schedule I have ever seen. Wow man thats all i can say, and advisor actually told you to take those?? Man what a douche!
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Wow, that's the worst schedule I have ever seen. Wow man thats all i can say, and advisor actually told you to take those?? Man what a douche!
    The biochem kinda sucked. Anatomy is fun so that was not a problem and nuclear physics/calculus wasn't bad either because math is relatively easy for me.

Organic chemistry was just way too problematic. I'm sure it was the workload at the time, but I just couldn't comprehend any of it. I just started drawing arrows around the molecular structures in the shapes of smiley faces and pictures. I quit on organic about 5 weeks in.

I think for a casual science elective, intro into anatomy is probably the most enjoyable and entertaining class to take. Anything chemistry specific starts to bore really easily.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Answers

hell no i'm not taking that. I barely got passed Inorganic Chem II with B thats all nighters studying. But in my university Organic Chem is one day out of the week and its 6 f'in hours long.
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CHA0S View Post
    hell no i'm not taking that. I barely got passed Inorganic Chem II with B thats all nighters studying. But in my university Organic Chem is one day out of the week and its 6 f'in hours long.
    Some people naturally get organic chemistry, some don't.

I'm the latter.
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

The biochem kinda sucked. Anatomy is fun so that was not a problem and nuclear physics/calculus wasn't bad either because math is relatively easy for me.

Organic chemistry was just way too problematic. I'm sure it was the workload at the time, but I just couldn't comprehend any of it. I just started drawing arrows around the molecular structures in the shapes of smiley faces and pictures. I quit on organic about 5 weeks in.

I think for a casual science elective, intro into anatomy is probably the most enjoyable and entertaining class to take. Anything chemistry specific starts to bore really easily.
    I have anatomy next semester. I'm no just getting into my major classes above the 100 level. I took all my pre-req's for graduateing early on incase I wanted to change my major and not waste any free money.
  21. Board Sponsor
    Answers

I have anatomy next semester. I'm no just getting into my major classes above the 100 level. I took all my pre-req's for graduateing early on incase I wanted to change my major and not waste any free money.
    Is it an anatomy and physiology course?
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rpen22 View Post
    Is it an anatomy and physiology course?
    No it's just anatomy. There is an anatomy physiology class together but it's only a 100 level class and doesn't count in for my major.
  23. Board Sponsor
    Answers

No it's just anatomy. There is an anatomy physiology class together but it's only a 100 level class and doesn't count in for my major.
    Oh, I'm just finishing my second semester of Anatomy/Physiology but it was a 200 level course(BIO 201&202). I've got my final in like 2 and a half hours and then I'm done with the semester.
  24. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Oh, I'm just finishing my second semester of Anatomy/Physiology but it was a 200 level course(BIO 201&202). I've got my final in like 2 and a half hours and then I'm done with the semester.
    I wish they had that where Im at. Ours is like BIO145 Intro to anatomy and phys? Good luck with that. I stil got 2 more 2maro. Word History and Human Nutrition, shouldn't be too tough.
  25. Senior Member
    Answers

ah those were the days.... i hated all of those classes. AP is cake compared to organic. so glad im done with those classes. micro, chem, o chem, ap, f= fun times.
  26. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Gimpy! View Post
    ah those were the days.... i hated all of those classes. AP is cake compared to organic. so glad im done with those classes. micro, chem, o chem, ap, f= fun times.
    Yeah, I've got all of those classes coming up. Sounds like I'm in for a treat.
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Answers

I'm taking calc, ochem, and bio II lab next semester. Bio II lab has it's own lecture twice a week on top of the regular Bio lecture three times a week...???...Weird, right?

Anyway, what is it that is so hard about O Chem? I'm new to it, so I'm not sure what to expect?
    Last edited by stxnas; 12-14-2007 at 04:50 AM.
  28. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah, I've got all of those classes coming up. Sounds like I'm in for a treat.
    If your a visual learner then those classes want be to bad. I really enjoyed my ochem class as a lot of it was structure functions and bond formation(something that if you can visualize with moving parts is fairly easy to remember). Same goes with microbiology, nothing is quit as interesting as having to identify the type of bacteria growing on your agar plate. I swabbed a pay phone at kroger's and grew e-coli.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

29. Senior Member
    Answers

I agree with prld2gr8ns, OChem can be easy if you're relatively good at visualizing the bonds and movements of molecules. I'm a much more math/equation oriented person (hence chem eng, instead of chem), so for me it was difficult. I had friends however, who loved it and it was easy for them. Thats ok though, I got them back in Analytical Chemistry...because thats all math/equation oriented. I had to derive a triple integral divided by another triple integral as one of 4 problems in a 50 minute test. That is what I call fun *sarcasm*.
  30. Recovering AXoholic
    Answers

Good luck with OChem. Is this I or II?

At my school, this is a weedout course for the 6-semester Pharm Doctorate program. Those bastards ALWAYS screwed up the curve :P
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  31. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Good luck with OChem. Is this I or II?

At my school, this is a weedout course for the 6-semester Pharm Doctorate program. Those bastards ALWAYS screwed up the curve :P
    It was Ochem I. I really think I did well on my final. I answered atleast 85% of the questions with full certenty(sp?) they were correct. The other I knew what I was going agaisn't and i was just unsure with my answer.

HAHA I know what you mean about the curve. We had some jack ass like that. I sat right behind him and thought about punching him in the back of the head after the teacher was going to give Extra Credit on a problem because she didn't fully cover the text. When she sakded the class before the test he says "Yes you covered it" after an uproar from all of us he says "well maybe not to the fullest extent....blahbalh" and rambles off the answer and made it part of the test.
  32. Elite Member
    Answers

ochem wasnt too bad....dont wanna take it again though..haha
  33. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    If your a visual learner then those classes want be to bad. I really enjoyed my ochem class as a lot of it was structure functions and bond formation(something that if you can visualize with moving parts is fairly easy to remember). Same goes with microbiology, nothing is quit as interesting as having to identify the type of bacteria growing on your agar plate. I swabbed a pay phone at kroger's and grew e-coli.
    Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. I actually think I'll like them more than other classes because they'll be interesting to me.
  34. Banned
    Answers

I think I may have had a worse semester:

Project Management
    Statistical Methods for Engineering
    Linear Control Systems
    Digital Design With Programmable Logic
    Power Systems Analysis
    Senior Design Project

All Senior and Grad level engineering: 20 credits. It sucked.
  35. Senior Member
    Answers

I miss undergrad.

I'm studying for the MCAT right now, take that goddamn exam in January. Physics is the bane of my existence. I can't understand that **** for the life of me.

And the ****tiest part is, there's barely any Physics in med. school. Why the **** they cover it on the MCAT is beyond me.
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Nabisco View Post
    I actually liked organic as a ChE. It made me think in a bit of a different way.

I do use it some - I work as a process engineer for a steam cracker/olefins plant (whatever you want to call it). It helps when I have to work with the PhD chemists to identify what is causing fouling (among other tasks).
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Answers

To all you CHM guys...what are/were your majors?
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I'm a chemical engineer.
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    Good luck! I'm supposed to take it next semester, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep it on the schedule. I'm actually "studying" for my CHM II final right now :
    I took organic chem this semester in high school and luckily exempted the friggin midterm...

Not so lucky with Differential Equations and AP Biology...
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  191 lbs.
    Answers

anatomy and physiology was a blast for me (besides memorizing all the systems). we got to dissect a cat at the end of the year. The dissection was supposed to be just one day, but the teacher decided to extend it into the last 2 weeks of school. Man, that room smelled something AWFUL in the end of May.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 10:28 AM
  2. Chemistry Tutor needed (Boldenone)
    By wikked1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 12:04 AM
  3. organic chemistry ???
    By Jeff in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 12:34 AM
  4. What organ releases the hormones?
    By EVANESCENCE in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2003, 05:56 AM
  5. lowering ph levels with organic acid?
    By hamper19 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 02:32 PM