Organic Chemistry

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll finish up 2maro morning with my organic chemistry class. A pain at times but overall I really enjoyed it and got a much better understanding for a lot of things we talk about each day on here.

Glycogen replenishment, steroids and what makes what do what with different carbon positions and what to expect from it side effect wise, hormone responses to foods and other substances, the different foods and their sub forms and how they affect different things. There's other garbage in there too but I really liked the class, didn't need it for my major just as a science requirement to graduate. If anyone else out there needs a science requirement class and isn’t too fond of some others I recommend this class. If I get a 93.6% tomorrow on my final and I’ll 4.0 the class, wish me luck fella’s

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Good luck with that. I'm going to be taking OChem in a few semesters as well.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good luck! I'm supposed to take it next semester, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep it on the schedule. I'm actually "studying" for my CHM II final right now :frustrate:

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
you people are crazy. O chem kicked my butt! never in my life had i ever EVER felt that i couldn't ace a class until i got into O Chem. i hate that class with a freakin passion. i got a B though....... blah.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Same here, organic chemistry sucked from all angles. I got a 'D' in it the first time I took it and a 'C' the second time. It was a year long course accelerated into 1 semester. I had to take the accelerated version, although somehow I feel that my life would have been much better if I were allowed to have taken it throughout the course of 1 year instead of 1/2.

I ended up getting my M.S. in biochem through an accelerated program (5 years) with a stunning 2.7 GPA. Looking back I probably should have studied more than I actually did. I haven't seen a 4.0 GPA since highschool ,ahaha.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Eh, I'm a chemical engineer and I hated OChem with a passion. The first (not the only) chemistry class that made me honestly doubt finishing my major. And now I realize that OChem has nothing to do with my job and was pretty much worthless to me. Go figure.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eh, I'm a chemical engineer and I hated OChem with a passion. The first (not the only) chemistry class that made me honestly doubt finishing my major. And now I realize that OChem has nothing to do with my job and was pretty much worthless to me. Go figure.
haha yea mine too but whatever. I know it was tough to grasp some of the concepts and remember alot of the stuff for tests and to see that slight variation between 2 models you have to look over for 2 minutes to see the difference.

I just got done and I think that 4.0 is in my grasp. Turns out there was 5 questions of extra credit because they weren't noted "things to know" in the sylabis (sp?). On top of that if we filled out some paper for how the class could be better and what to tell next semester students etc.... was worth another 10 points on the final. :woohoo:

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I envy you guys that actually have/had the willpower to get through that class. I hate all forms of chemistry, and I can't get my mind to comprehend, or at least enjoy the material long enough for me to sit down and study it. I used to have my eyes set on Dental school, and if I put half as much effort into school as I did bodybuilding, I would have gotten there. I don't necessarily feel like I failed myself, but I defintely found out I didn't want to be a dentist enough to force myself to study chemistry. I'm really happy the folks on this board are educated. Proves the stereotype wrong about meatheads. I'm a finance major now, was a bio major. My friend asked me the other day why I don't just get a degree in exercise science and become a strength coach; I had no response... (In other words, why didn't I think of that?) I'll probably end up doing investment banking or something.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I envy you guys that actually have/had the willpower to get through that class. I hate all forms of chemistry, and I can't get my mind to comprehend, or at least enjoy the material long enough for me to sit down and study it. I used to have my eyes set on Dental school, and if I put half as much effort into school as I did bodybuilding, I would have gotten there. I don't necessarily feel like I failed myself, but I defintely found out I didn't want to be a dentist enough to force myself to study chemistry. I'm really happy the folks on this board are educated. Proves the stereotype wrong about meatheads. I'm a finance major now, was a bio major. My friend asked me the other day why I don't just get a degree in exercise science and become a strength coach; I had no response... (In other words, why didn't I think of that?) I'll probably end up doing investment banking or something.

O for sure man. I think if alot of us,includeing myself, dedicated as much time into school as this we'd all be doctors, rocket scientist, dentist, etc....

I'm going to settle for kinesiology degree with a minor in dietition (sp?) Then moving on to physical therapy

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established

I just forced myself to get through it. I realized part way through that biochem wasn't for me. I was first considering being a doctor (ahaha, yeah right) then a dentist (ahaha, yeah right). I ended up deciding that I was going to get into investments, so I applied and got accepted into my MBA program in finance which is tough in a different way to say the least.

I wasn't too keen on the idea of being around sick people and slaving myself to my work (doctor) which is why I decided on investments. The business world there is an equal potential to make just as money as a doctor. The only difference is job security between the 2.

I'm glad I didn't venture down med school. The pathway to get there is not worth it, and neither is the lifestyle once you complete it, IRO.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
This was my shlttiest semester I had all in college. Fall '04

-biochem
-organic chem
-nuclear physics*
-calculus
-anatomy
-microbiology

I blew off organic chem b/c I could not keep up with it.

*my dumb@ss academic advisor said I needed to take this, which later on wound up being an elective later on #@!%$#@%

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just forced myself to get through it. I realized part way through that biochem wasn't for me. I was first considering being a doctor (ahaha, yeah right) then a dentist (ahaha, yeah right). I ended up deciding that I was going to get into investments, so I applied and got accepted into my MBA program in finance which is tough in a different way to say the least.

I wasn't too keen on the idea of being around sick people and slaving myself to my work (doctor) which is why I decided on investments. The business world there is an equal potential to make just as money as a doctor. The only difference is job security between the 2.

I'm glad I didn't venture down med school. The pathway to get there is not worth it, and neither is the lifestyle once you complete it, IRO.
I agree. There are so many more benefits I think to being involved in finance rather than the medical field. It seems like a lot less stress.

My brother-in-law is a financial analyst and really enjoys his job. He defintely works hard, and just passed his third and final CFA exam. From what my sister says, he may be able to start working from home in the near future. That's very appealing to me. Granted, I want to graduate and never have to use my degree since my plan is to play poker professionally, but at least I will have the degree for a fall-back and use it if necessary.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

-biochem
-organic chem
-nuclear physics*
-calculus
-anatomy
-microbiology

*my dumb@ss academic advisor said I needed to take this, which later on wound up being an elective later on #@!%$#@%
That is an amazingly terrible schedule. That's like having eleven classes since you have a lab with each one of those sciences.

Advisors suck! I never listen to them. I just ask students a year or two above me that have the same major. They know their stuff.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I agree. There are so many more benefits I think to being involved in finance rather than the medical field. It seems like a lot less stress.

My brother-in-law is a financial analyst and really enjoys his job. He defintely works hard, and just passed his third and final CFA exam. From what my sister says, he may be able to start working from home in the near future. That's very appealing to me. Granted, I want to graduate and never have to use my degree since my plan is to play poker professionally, but at least I will have the degree for a fall-back and use it if necessary.
I feel that a financial background is two-fold. First for your work, secondly to make wise investments for yourself later on so you don't have to work forever.

Business is slightly mundane to me, but I am so glad I never have to take another science class again. The CFA exam is a kick in the teeth. I'll make a run at it eventually and I hope I can get through it.

back in the day when I took my GMAT I didn't study for it for the first time and scored a whopping 500 even (this is below average). Pretty embarassing. I put in more time to study it the second time for a few months and got a 630 the second time. Its not an Ivy League score, but it works I suppose.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

-biochem
-organic chem
-nuclear physics*
-calculus
-anatomy
-microbiology

Wow, that's the worst schedule I have ever seen. Wow man thats all i can say, and advisor actually told you to take those?? Man what a douche!

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Wow, that's the worst schedule I have ever seen. Wow man thats all i can say, and advisor actually told you to take those?? Man what a douche!
The biochem kinda sucked. Anatomy is fun so that was not a problem and nuclear physics/calculus wasn't bad either because math is relatively easy for me.

Organic chemistry was just way too problematic. I'm sure it was the workload at the time, but I just couldn't comprehend any of it. I just started drawing arrows around the molecular structures in the shapes of smiley faces and pictures. I quit on organic about 5 weeks in.

I think for a casual science elective, intro into anatomy is probably the most enjoyable and entertaining class to take. Anything chemistry specific starts to bore really easily.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
hell no i'm not taking that. I barely got passed Inorganic Chem II with B thats all nighters studying. But in my university Organic Chem is one day out of the week and its 6 f'in hours long.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
hell no i'm not taking that. I barely got passed Inorganic Chem II with B thats all nighters studying. But in my university Organic Chem is one day out of the week and its 6 f'in hours long.
Some people naturally get organic chemistry, some don't.

I'm the latter.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The biochem kinda sucked. Anatomy is fun so that was not a problem and nuclear physics/calculus wasn't bad either because math is relatively easy for me.

Organic chemistry was just way too problematic. I'm sure it was the workload at the time, but I just couldn't comprehend any of it. I just started drawing arrows around the molecular structures in the shapes of smiley faces and pictures. I quit on organic about 5 weeks in.

I think for a casual science elective, intro into anatomy is probably the most enjoyable and entertaining class to take. Anything chemistry specific starts to bore really easily.
I have anatomy next semester. I'm no just getting into my major classes above the 100 level. I took all my pre-req's for graduateing early on incase I wanted to change my major and not waste any free money.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have anatomy next semester. I'm no just getting into my major classes above the 100 level. I took all my pre-req's for graduateing early on incase I wanted to change my major and not waste any free money.
Is it an anatomy and physiology course?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No it's just anatomy. There is an anatomy physiology class together but it's only a 100 level class and doesn't count in for my major.
Oh, I'm just finishing my second semester of Anatomy/Physiology but it was a 200 level course(BIO 201&202). I've got my final in like 2 and a half hours and then I'm done with the semester. :)

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, I'm just finishing my second semester of Anatomy/Physiology but it was a 200 level course(BIO 201&202). I've got my final in like 2 and a half hours and then I'm done with the semester. :)
I wish they had that where Im at. Ours is like BIO145 Intro to anatomy and phys? Good luck with that. I stil got 2 more 2maro. Word History and Human Nutrition, shouldn't be too tough.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
ah those were the days.... i hated all of those classes. AP is cake compared to organic. so glad im done with those classes. micro, chem, o chem, ap, f= fun times.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ah those were the days.... i hated all of those classes. AP is cake compared to organic. so glad im done with those classes. micro, chem, o chem, ap, f= fun times.
Yeah, I've got all of those classes coming up. Sounds like I'm in for a treat. :D

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm taking calc, ochem, and bio II lab next semester. Bio II lab has it's own lecture twice a week on top of the regular Bio lecture three times a week...???...Weird, right?

Anyway, what is it that is so hard about O Chem? I'm new to it, so I'm not sure what to expect?

Last edited:
prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I've got all of those classes coming up. Sounds like I'm in for a treat. :D
If your a visual learner then those classes want be to bad. I really enjoyed my ochem class as a lot of it was structure functions and bond formation(something that if you can visualize with moving parts is fairly easy to remember). Same goes with microbiology, nothing is quit as interesting as having to identify the type of bacteria growing on your agar plate. I swabbed a pay phone at kroger's and grew e-coli.:think:

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I agree with prld2gr8ns, OChem can be easy if you're relatively good at visualizing the bonds and movements of molecules. I'm a much more math/equation oriented person (hence chem eng, instead of chem), so for me it was difficult. I had friends however, who loved it and it was easy for them. Thats ok though, I got them back in Analytical Chemistry...because thats all math/equation oriented. I had to derive a triple integral divided by another triple integral as one of 4 problems in a 50 minute test. That is what I call fun *sarcasm*.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck with OChem. Is this I or II?

At my school, this is a weedout course for the 6-semester Pharm Doctorate program. Those bastards ALWAYS screwed up the curve :p

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck with OChem. Is this I or II?

At my school, this is a weedout course for the 6-semester Pharm Doctorate program. Those bastards ALWAYS screwed up the curve :p
It was Ochem I. I really think I did well on my final. I answered atleast 85% of the questions with full certenty(sp?) they were correct. The other I knew what I was going agaisn't and i was just unsure with my answer.

HAHA I know what you mean about the curve. We had some jack ass like that. I sat right behind him and thought about punching him in the back of the head after the teacher was going to give Extra Credit on a problem because she didn't fully cover the text. When she sakded the class before the test he says "Yes you covered it" after an uproar from all of us he says "well maybe not to the fullest extent....blahbalh" and rambles off the answer and made it part of the test.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
ochem wasnt too bad....dont wanna take it again though..haha

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If your a visual learner then those classes want be to bad. I really enjoyed my ochem class as a lot of it was structure functions and bond formation(something that if you can visualize with moving parts is fairly easy to remember). Same goes with microbiology, nothing is quit as interesting as having to identify the type of bacteria growing on your agar plate. I swabbed a pay phone at kroger's and grew e-coli.:think:
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. I actually think I'll like them more than other classes because they'll be interesting to me.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think I may have had a worse semester:

Project Management
Statistical Methods for Engineering
Linear Control Systems
Digital Design With Programmable Logic
Power Systems Analysis
Senior Design Project

All Senior and Grad level engineering: 20 credits. It sucked.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I miss undergrad.

I'm studying for the MCAT right now, take that goddamn exam in January. Physics is the bane of my existence. I can't understand that **** for the life of me.

And the ****tiest part is, there's barely any Physics in med. school. Why the **** they cover it on the MCAT is beyond me.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I actually liked organic as a ChE. It made me think in a bit of a different way.

I do use it some - I work as a process engineer for a steam cracker/olefins plant (whatever you want to call it). It helps when I have to work with the PhD chemists to identify what is causing fouling (among other tasks).

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To all you CHM guys...what are/were your majors?

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Good luck! I'm supposed to take it next semester, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep it on the schedule. I'm actually "studying" for my CHM II final right now :frustrate:
I took organic chem this semester in high school and luckily exempted the friggin midterm...

Not so lucky with Differential Equations and AP Biology...

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
anatomy and physiology was a blast for me (besides memorizing all the systems). we got to dissect a cat at the end of the year. The dissection was supposed to be just one day, but the teacher decided to extend it into the last 2 weeks of school. Man, that room smelled something AWFUL in the end of May.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I miss undergrad.

I'm studying for the MCAT right now, take that goddamn exam in January. Physics is the bane of my existence. I can't understand that **** for the life of me.

And the ****tiest part is, there's barely any Physics in med. school. Why the **** they cover it on the MCAT is beyond me.
Try taking classes like Radom Processes and Statistical Methods in Engineering, Control Systems, Semiconductor Physics, Electromagnetic Physics... They make regular physics look like learning the ABC's.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Try taking classes like Radom Processes and Statistical Methods in Engineering, Control Systems, Semiconductor Physics, Electromagnetic Physics... They make regular physics look like learning the ABC's.
That's why I'm not an engineer. My roommate was an ME, and I looked at some of the **** he used to do, and it looked like Chinese to me.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I took organic chem this semester in high school and luckily exempted the friggin midterm...

Not so lucky with Differential Equations and AP Biology...
I don't even remember that being offered in high school.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
I don't even remember that being offered in high school.
they have all kinds of stuff you can take now. They have dual enrollments now that are taught by a certified teacher and you get 6 college credits vs. who-knows from an AP course depending on your score on the AP test.

My schedule's like this:

1. Advanced Historical Research and Technology H
2. College Composition Dual Enrollment H
3. AP US Government
4. Bioethics Analysis H
5. Philosophy and Ethical Reasoning H
6. AP Biology
7. Linear Algebra and Differential Equations Dual Enrollment H
8. Human Heredity Dual Enrollment H
9. Microbiology Dual Enrollment H

I'm raking in the college credit

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
they have all kinds of stuff you can take now. They have dual enrollments now that are taught by a certified teacher and you get 6 college credits vs. who-knows from an AP course depending on your score on the AP test.

My schedule's like this:

1. Advanced Historical Research and Technology H
2. College Composition Dual Enrollment H
3. AP US Government
4. Bioethics Analysis H
5. Philosophy and Ethical Reasoning H
6. AP Biology
7. Linear Algebra and Differential Equations Dual Enrollment H
8. Human Heredity Dual Enrollment H
9. Microbiology Dual Enrollment H

I'm raking in the college credit
Are those taught on-campus? I know that we didn't have that at my school, so it must not be every school that does that.

What is your planned major?

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Yes these are taught on campus. Teachers come from local community colleges to the high school to teach the class. Or you can go to the university for the class. I took a class at VCU for life sciences 101 last year as a junior, and it was pretty cool. I went there after school three days a week and a bus was provided for us from like 3-6.

I originally wanted to major in biomedicine or molecular biology, but I think I have a gift at writing and that's what I should pursue. I'm young though; and there's plenty of time to decide.

Tyler1

Tyler1

Awards
ochem

I thought it was a difficult class, I took it in summer school. I didn't get much out of it, but earned an A. The class that really showed how organic chem worked for me was the lab, it was a year long course about 2-2.5 hrs once a week, that was a blast, very cool instructor.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought it was a difficult class, I took it in summer school. I didn't get much out of it, but earned an A. The class that really showed how organic chem worked for me was the lab, it was a year long course about 2-2.5 hrs once a week, that was a blast, very cool instructor.
Having a good instructor really makes the difference. There are two extremes to chemistry courses; you absolutely hate them, or absolutely love them. It's all how the instructor teaches the course.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Having a good instructor really makes the difference. There are two extremes to chemistry courses; you absolutely hate them, or absolutely love them. It's all how the instructor teaches the course.
I agree. My 1st 3 classes I had an instructor who told the class they didn't really want to teach just do research and it was terrible, a freind of mine that had to stay in that class said it as hell. I had to swtich to a different section because of baseball and it was like nite and day. He was older and had already done research and decided he loved teaching.