Endurance Exercise Verses Weight Training

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A while back I was doing a lot of running, than I hurt my knees and had to stop for a while. I was really getting into it. Now I am doing more cardio on a home cardio machine, doing 1 hour in the AM and 1 hour in the pm. Now that I am doing that I have "cardio fever" or "endurance exercise fever", those are just terms I made up myself. For some reason I just feel better doing endurance based exercise like running, jogging, long distance walking. The point is I want to get back into running especially now since its getting colder out and there is nothing better than running outside in the cold. Looking for a begginers book on running so this time I don't hurt my knees. Even though I have arthritis in my knees I know I can still start running again. Any suggestions on books would be welcome. So any endurance guys out there know of good books on starting running with a good plan as not to destroy your knees...please post.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I think your flying solo on this one my man.

I don't run anymore directly. I used to play soccer for 10 years, and time after time running with cleats is hell on the knees. It is nothing too bad, but if I were to keep running eventually the constant shock would become problematic long-term.

I just use some type of elliptical, you get the running motion, minus the knee trauma. The only downside is you do it all in a gym and not outside.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I don't run very often either even though it's great. My hips are uneven and I already have a large ganglion behind one knee so I choose to take it easier and hike instead. Weighted uphill cardio is my version of jogging. Still can be pretty harsh on the body though.

I too am going into more of a cardio mode lately and I definitely feel better. I miss that extra 10 pounds of muscle sometimes but I feel much better physically most of the time.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I don't run very often either even though it's great. My hips are uneven and I already have a large ganglion behind one knee so I choose to take it easier and hike instead. Weighted uphill cardio is my version of jogging. Still can be pretty harsh on the body though.

I too am going into more of a cardio mode lately and I definitely feel better. I miss that extra 10 pounds of muscle sometimes but I feel much better physically most of the time.
:blink:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A while back I was doing a lot of running, than I hurt my knees and had to stop for a while. I was really getting into it. Now I am doing more cardio on a home cardio machine, doing 1 hour in the AM and 1 hour in the pm. Now that I am doing that I have "cardio fever" or "endurance exercise fever", those are just terms I made up myself. For some reason I just feel better doing endurance based exercise like running, jogging, long distance walking. The point is I want to get back into running especially now since its getting colder out and there is nothing better than running outside in the cold. Looking for a begginers book on running so this time I don't hurt my knees. Even though I have arthritis in my knees I know I can still start running again. Any suggestions on books would be welcome. So any endurance guys out there know of good books on starting running with a good plan as not to destroy your knees...please post.
I get cardio fever too. But I do primarily HIIT.

Don't know of any books for running though, sorry.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guess I'll just have to search at Amazon. I wanted a personal recommendation from someone who has been running for years. My folks were runners in their younger days, and ran a few marathons. I miss the feeling I get after a long run, and the extra energy it gave me. Once I get my weight down about 20 pounds, I am definitely gonna hit the pavement. First, I'll have to find a good book though.