Migraines... any tips to deal?

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I usually get like 2 a year.. and I hate the terrible 3 or so hours that comes with them.. Any tips or pointers on how to better deal with them/ lessen the pain?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
All I can say is I feel for you. I get the ones that send me to the hospital, it sucks!! Had a bad one Saturday and I was throwing up all day so I had to suffer:(

Sometimes the RTD Muscle milks help mine, weird I know. I have to try tylenol and just ride them out laying down wanting someone to shoot me. Let me know if you figure out a better way then the ER, I hate iv's.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Butterbur extract has been shown to cut down on the number and severity of migraines. From what I gleaned from the study though, you have to take it all the time. Also reduces allergies.

I used to get them semi-frequently until I started getting regular chiropractic care...but they are caused by different things in different people.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It might be worth trying for me as i've had one on and off since Saturday and I can't seem to get better:(

My kids are like rabid animals sensing weakness in me...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
In the meantime..try icing your temples and the back of your neck. If your particular migraines are caused by either neck/face muscle tension or excessive cerebral vasodialation, then this will help.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Well, had one tonight.. I think it's over now, oh I hope so. Anyway, next doc appointment I'm gonna talk to him about getting me some sort of medication for these. I've heard of some that you can take at the onset and it's supposed to greatly shorten the intensity and duration.. So I'm gonna check that out.. thanks for the responses.. and hope you heal up fast crader! that totally sucks, i can't imagine one lasting for days or putting me in the er, ouch.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Hydrocodone - thats what my doc finally gave me. Migraines are terrible.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've heard good things about the newer migraine meds.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Chillies!! incredibly hot ones! ahh i wish i had more info on it. Guy i work with in his 40's has been getting them for years. He told me how he now takes these red hot chillies which somehow release endorphins in the brain and takes the focus off the migraine etc. A recent newpaper in the UK mentioned chillies as well. I'm sure Google could help.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Chillies!! incredibly hot ones! ahh i wish i had more info on it. Guy i work with in his 40's has been getting them for years. He told me how he now takes these red hot chillies which somehow release endorphins in the brain and takes the focus off the migraine etc. A recent newpaper in the UK mentioned chillies as well. I'm sure Google could help.
Yuck!! I wish that was an option but alas too hot for me. Mine can be triggered by quite a few supplements and stims so I tend to at least try to avoid them. I still have the headache and I'm using tylenol mostly. I might look into the new meds. When I go into the hospital they use an iv drip of benedryl, phenergran and morphine or codeine.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1) Butterbur (reduces head cavity discomfort; reduces the spasms of smooth muscles; improves blood flow to cerebral blood vessels)
2) Ginger (reduces head cavity discomfort)
3) Feverfew (reduces constriction of cerebral blood vessels)
4) Minimize stress
5) Stop smoking (if you are a smoker)
6) Get enough sleep. But do not over-sleep (oversleeping may trigger migraine!)

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Slam your hand in a door....itll take your mind of the headache and focus it on the hand....hahaah

I feel lucky, i almost never ever get a headache, maybe once a year or if i take Aspire 36. Let alone a migraine i cant imagine.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Actually, I once read somewhere that if you put an extremity (like a foot or hand) in extremely cold ice water for a few minutes, its supposed to help ease a migraine. I think is has to do with cooling body temp due to surface veins in wrist/ankle coming into contact with the cold. I've never tried it - hopefully I won't have to any time soon!

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
You have to treat it as soon as the symptoms (aura) starts. Excedrin Migraine works for me but if I take it after the headache starts I just vomit them up. Actually, once the headache kicks in nothing stays down, I throw everything up.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Stumbled over this article while searching for something to help rid migraines: an interesting read but likely not practical medicine for the average person

A recent area of interest is the use of psychedelic mushrooms to treat cluster headaches. Cluster headaches are a type of migraine headache that come and go in “clusters.” A sufferer of cluster headaches may have sporadic, intense, disabling headaches for a few weeks and then a long period of remission with no headaches.

In a correspondence between Dennis O’ Connor and Ethan Russo, MD, in the article Cannabis in Migraine Treatment Study, O’Connor states that there have been several reports of people using psychedelic mushrooms to treat and prevent cluster headaches on a popular internet-based cluster headache forum, clusterheadaches.com. When Russo was asked about this, he provided the following explanation:

The real reason the mushrooms may work is neurochemical. […] To treat migraine (and cluster) acutely, one desires a drug or plant that will stimulate serotonin type [5-HT] 1 (1A or 1D) receptors. To treat headaches preventively, one desires a drug or plant that will inhibit serotonin type [5-HT] 2A receptors. (MAPS.org)

This explanation seems very feasible as psilocybin is known to bind with 5-HT1 and 5-HT2 receptor sites. Due to psilocybin being a classified substance, there has not yet been research to support this idea. Nonetheless, people continue to report psychedelic mushrooms aiding in the treatment of cluster headaches.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Decapitation also works nicely.

There's been times when, deep in the throes of a migraine that that seems like an option.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
can you imagine trying to eat mushrooms while feeling that crappy. That taste alone makes me wanna puke, not to mention the migraine itself... ehh...

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Decapitation also works nicely.

There's been times when, deep in the throes of a migraine that that seems like an option.
I agree.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Stumbled over this article while searching for something to help rid migraines: an interesting read but likely not practical medicine for the average person

A recent area of interest is the use of psychedelic mushrooms to treat cluster headaches. Cluster headaches are a type of migraine headache that come and go in “clusters.” A sufferer of cluster headaches may have sporadic, intense, disabling headaches for a few weeks and then a long period of remission with no headaches.

In a correspondence between Dennis O’ Connor and Ethan Russo, MD, in the article Cannabis in Migraine Treatment Study, O’Connor states that there have been several reports of people using psychedelic mushrooms to treat and prevent cluster headaches on a popular internet-based cluster headache forum, clusterheadaches.com. When Russo was asked about this, he provided the following explanation:

The real reason the mushrooms may work is neurochemical. […] To treat migraine (and cluster) acutely, one desires a drug or plant that will stimulate serotonin type [5-HT] 1 (1A or 1D) receptors. To treat headaches preventively, one desires a drug or plant that will inhibit serotonin type [5-HT] 2A receptors. (MAPS.org)

This explanation seems very feasible as psilocybin is known to bind with 5-HT1 and 5-HT2 receptor sites. Due to psilocybin being a classified substance, there has not yet been research to support this idea. Nonetheless, people continue to report psychedelic mushrooms aiding in the treatment of cluster headaches.

That is the most awesome thing ever.

lol

May as well go for a trip since you are incapicitated and useless anyways.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try eating some Ginger. I hear that works rearry well.