Terence McKenna, anyone read his stuff?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Terence McKenna Land

I thought i would share this link as i just was researching/reading the works of the late Terence McKenna. Some mind opening things to read about, I must say i see exactly where he was coming from. I was going to buy a few books but i found this site and thought some of you might get some altered outlooks/views on our exsistance.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
before he died he said this:

The world needs to be a more compassionate place. It is not moving toward that as I see it. More and more people are exploited by fewer and fewer people, more and more effectively. And the tools of exploitation, which are advertising and propaganda and all of that, grow ever more powerful and irresistible.

This is really the challenge for the future. We can build a civilization like nothing the world has ever seen. But can it be a human, a *human* civilization? Can it actually honor human values? It's one thing, the rate of invention or gross national product or production of industrial capacity -- all of these things are all very well. But the real dilemma for human beings is how to build a compassionate human civilization. The means to do it come into our ken at the same rate as all these tools which betray it. And if we betray our humanness in the pursuit of civilization, then the dialogue has become mad.

So it is a kind of individual challenge for every single person to demand that compassionate civilization. It calls for a uniquely human response from each person. And the way to be motivated to do that is to take on the fact of human mortality, your own and other peoples'.