For people who work as a personal trainer

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious to people who work as a personal trainer. Do you get any clients who say that they want to get into shape and then go through the exercises in a feeble manner and probably later on don't keep their diet and wind up blaming you for them being fat (even though everything is OUT of check) ?

I've always wondered if personal trainers took heat as being someone to blame for other ppls problems.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
hahaha.... that seems to be the name of the game. Many people who hire trainers do so not because they want assistance in getting to where they want to be.... but rather they think they can just pay someone else to do it for them.

I've worked with darn near 100 people over the years.... and I'll be honest that very few committed and stuck to what they learned.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hahaha.... that seems to be the name of the game. Many people who hire trainers do so not because they want assistance in getting to where they want to be.... but rather they think they can just pay someone else to do it for them.

I've worked with darn near 100 people over the years.... and I'll be honest that very few committed and stuck to what they learned.
Out of the myriad of clients I have trained, maybe 3 have really been dedicated to their training. I am doing my part by implementing a training and diet routine, but I am not responsible for what they choose to do.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Gotta agree with the above.

Most of my clients were middle age women who would drink to much wine on Friday night and never show up for their Saturday appointments. This is one of the reasons you have them pay for their sessions up front.

CROWLER

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I trained probably 100 people in the last year...everything from "young athletes,parkinsons,cancer rehab,weight loss,tri-athelete,body builders,and every thing in between.....NO lie...i was the head trainer at my gym and took most of the clients that came in(unless they wanted AM training..i did evenings)

I had many clients that just came to flirt with me....straight up paid for either a year, or 36 sessions and just came in to giggle with me!!!..could give a sh*t less about the actuall training.

It sucks i left that job to come up north......no chance to hit that up here!!

I

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I trained probably 100 people in the last year...everything from "young athletes,parkinsons,cancer rehab,weight loss,tri-athelete,body builders,and every thing in between.....NO lie...i was the head trainer at my gym and took most of the clients that came in(unless they wanted AM training..i did evenings)

I had many clients that just came to flirt with me....straight up paid for either a year, or 36 sessions and just came in to giggle with me!!!..could give a sh*t less about the actuall training.

It sucks i left that job to come up north......no chance to hit that up here!!
Same exact story here. I couldn't stand listening to the people ***** or complain. They'd say things like, "Are you sure that's right? Because I read in Self Magazine that bla bla bla..." I'd usually get real pissed off and ask them why they hired me if they knew everything already.

Then you'd get the people that blamed you for not achieving their goals, yet they were the same people that walked in to the gym eating a Snickers bar.

I enjoyed training maybe two people. They listend to me, did what I told them to do, worked hard and pushed themselves. The people I like to train are the ones that come to you for a few sessions looking for you to help right them a new program, show them correct form on certain exercises, then they do the rest themselves. People that need a trainer for every single workout are pathetic.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I enjoyed training maybe two people. They listend to me, did what I told them to do, worked hard and pushed themselves. The people I like to train are the ones that come to you for a few sessions looking for you to help right them a new program, show them correct form on certain exercises, then they do the rest themselves. People that need a trainer for every single workout are pathetic.
True, but as annoying as these people may be, they are the ones that pay the bills.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I'm still new at it, and arguably practicing more than actually working - but the big thing I notice is that a fair few want someone they can ignore, feel smarter than; don't know what the rationale for it is, but I'm rapidly coming to the point where I will not work with a client who won't pay attention to me during a session.

"Dammit, Jim - I'm a doctor, not a blasted babysitter!"

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
People that need a trainer for every single workout are pathetic.
If they're paying for your time, and not jerking you around during a session, what's your beef? Not everyone wants to be hyooge, not everyone has a clear sense of inner motivation; but if they're motivated enough to keep at it, pay you AND pay attention, perhaps you'll find it in your budget (if not your heart) to give them their money's worth.

Otherwise, perhaps you could take applications for clients, making sure they know up-front that you're only interested in training competitive bodybuilders, then let them decide for themselves whether they really want to hire you after all.

I

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If they're paying for your time, and not jerking you around during a session, what's your beef? Not everyone wants to be hyooge, not everyone has a clear sense of inner motivation; but if they're motivated enough to keep at it, pay you AND pay attention, perhaps you'll find it in your budget (if not your heart) to give them their money's worth.

Otherwise, perhaps you could take applications for clients, making sure they know up-front that you're only interested in training competitive bodybuilders, then let them decide for themselves whether they really want to hire you after all.
Being a competative bodybuilder has nothing to do with it. The reason I left is because they are NOT motivated, they do NOT pay attention, and do NOT listen to what I have to say.

I live in a town that's full of retired, rich, *****y families. My clients were usually the money-grubbing whore wives. Most of the women I trained didn't need trainers since they already know the perfect diet; starve yourself and then binge on alcohol and expensive cheese. They used me as a trainer simply so they could say to their friends, "Hey y'all (strong southern drawl), I've got an appointment with my trainer. I have to go. Loves!"

When I was in an RPM class (sort of like Spin, but more coordinated and intense), a guy yelled to a us up front teaching, "Hey, Scott! - Can you turn down the music. I don't think these ladies in the back can hear themselves talking to each other!" That made me laugh. The gym is purely social to them.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
sometimes i honestly think that undedicated people don't belong in the gym. you're there to work out not socialize. i hate people who take 5 minute rest periods to chat up their buddies.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I considered becoming a PT in my early 20's because I had 2-3 people per week asking me about this or that. The thing that stopped me was I really really really hate dealing with most people. The business I run now, I deal with very limited people, that have a specific thing in mind, and I can handle that.
There is a difinitive difference between being stupid, and just not knowing something. One you can train, the other is hopeless. I can't deal with the dumb ones.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
I was a personal trainer for two years before my current job and while the money was excellent, I had no benefits and grew tired of listening to people ***** and moan. I had probably around 80-100 clients and about 4 of them actually stuck with it and got results. Most of my clients were middle age women who just wanted to flirt or fat lazy guys with no life and no will-power. I got so sick of it i just started becoming brutally honest with a few clients. One came maybe once a week, didnt diet at all and asked me after a month if i saw any results and i straight up told her "none, you are basically throwing money away right now." The clients who actually showed up to workout and put forth some effort though were a pleasure to train. I had one guy put on a good 25lbs of lean mass in 2yrs, and another women in her mid 30's basically recomp before my eyes, cutting her bodyfat in half.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Should be shot...

Oh, this isn't one of those finish the sentence posts :run:

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I mean if they come in and pay for a personal trainer just to flirt what's the fuss ? I mean just hit it.