New car debate

  1. Registered User
    freqfly's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    949
    Answers
    0

    New car debate


    Almost time to get a new car, well new to me. Down to either a 2001.5 Audi S4, 2003 BMW x5 4.6is, or an S2000.

  2. Registered User
    Zombie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,609
    Answers
    0

    and what are you looking for looks ? MPG? speed ?
  3. Registered User
    freqfly's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    949
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    and what are you looking for looks ? MPG? speed ?
    Looks, speed, dont care about mpg.... gas is gas
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    xjsynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    93
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    and what are you looking for looks ? MPG? speed ?


    Yeah, he is worried about MPG with those selections....
  5. Registered User
    freqfly's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    949
    Answers
    0

    I'm very car savvy, just wanted yalls opinions what you'd drive n' why
  6. Registered User
    Zombie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,609
    Answers
    0

    if it were for me i would pick between the Audi and S2000.
    the 2003 BMW x5 4.6is is more like a family car

    and if your going for something sporty i would pick the S2000 if not the audi, and also take in consideration that if your not getting it from a dealer and the Audi breaks down Audi parts are more dificult to find an expensive.
  7. Registered User
    freqfly's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    949
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    if it were for me i would pick between the Audi and S2000.
    the 2003 BMW x5 4.6is is more like a family car

    and if your going for something sporty i would pick the S2000 if not the audi, and also take in consideration that if your not getting it from a dealer and the Audi breaks down Audi parts are more dificult to find an expensive.
    I hear that one, 3 of my buddies own S4's.... parts a a grip of ka$h!! I do live in utah, so if i got the s2k, i would have to keep my jeep for the winters. The S4, I could roll that year round....
  8. Registered User
    xjsynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    93
    Answers
    0

    S2k
  9. Registered User
    xjsynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    93
    Answers
    0

    Great handling, reliable, sporty....
  10. Banned
    CNorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,191
    Answers
    0

  11. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Answers
    0

    I'm awaiting EasyEJL's ar***** in this thread touting the superiority of Domestic vehicles.

  12. Registered User
    xjsynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    93
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    True story. And Audios aren't that reliable....especially a used one.
  13. Registered User
    xjsynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    93
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I'm awaiting EasyEJL's ar***** in this thread touting the superiority of Domestic vehicles.

    There are only a few American cars I would buy...Trucks & SUVs for sure, but cars.....
  14. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by xjsynx View Post
    There are only a few American cars I would buy...Trucks & SUVs for sure, but cars.....
    Exactamundo.

    Audis have definitely been slipping in reliability lately (2-3 years). But formerly they were consistently at the top of the pack.
  15. Registered User
    MentalTwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,516
    Answers
    0

    The Audi & BMW are the only one that can handle to winter. S2000, its and ok car. Lots of aftermarket same for the Audi though. I am partial to Audi styling, simple. But their engines are fair. The BMW, well if you like the name do it. S2000, fun to drive, not the fastest and its only a 2 seater. I would go Audi - Turbo, AWD? some models maybe?
    S2000 - 4 cyl, light, nimble, aftermarket huge, RWD, but its a vert. and the hardtop is $2,500+
    BMW - I just think they are over priced, heavy, somewhat fast, nice styling, not super reliable, more short term fun.
  16. Registered User
    dirtydeweyjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    55
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by freqfly View Post
    Almost time to get a new car, well new to me. Down to either a 2001.5 Audi S4, 2003 BMW x5 4.6is, or an S2000.
    three completely different vehicles there

    what gives?
  17. Registered User
    freqfly's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    949
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer82 View Post
    Let good ol' Gix make this decision for you...

    You will regret it if you don't get the S4, those are turboed arn't they? My friend has one, its a siiicckkk car.
    They are bi-turbo... great cars. As long as they've been maintained, they are very reliable.
  18. Banned
    RisingAgainst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,070
    Answers
    0

    I'm rolling in an 08 RAM with the Hemi in it... its a great car.. I say fuk the pasta rockets and rice rockets, get a man's vehicle. LOL
  19. Banned
    CNorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,191
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by RisingAgainst View Post
    I'm rolling in an 08 RAM with the Hemi in it... its a great car.. I say fuk the pasta rockets and rice rockets, get a man's vehicle. LOL
    It must be nice to get 10 mpg and drive a truck that has never towed anything or seen anything with dirt on it in the bed.

    Seriously though I think its a joke when you see a big truck without a hitch on it. Personally the only reason I see to own one is if you tow or haul stuff.
  20. Banned
    RisingAgainst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,070
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    It must be nice to get 10 mpg and drive a truck that has never towed anything or seen anything with dirt on it in the bed.

    Seriously though I think its a joke when you see a big truck without a hitch on it. Personally the only reason I see to own one is if you tow or haul stuff.
    uhh you need to check your statement bro, its my WORK truck, I'm hauling fukkin rocks that weigh well over 1200 lbs in it, it's bed is annihilated and scraped and scratched and dented to hell, oh and I get 17 on the highway with the new ignition setup on the hemi's...
  21. Banned
    CNorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,191
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by RisingAgainst View Post
    uhh you need to check your statement bro, its my WORK truck, I'm hauling fukkin rocks that weigh well over 1200 lbs in it, it's bed is annihilated and scraped and scratched and dented to hell, oh and I get 17 on the highway with the new ignition setup on the hemi's...
    Thats cool then. I do hate all the douche bags with white collar jobs with big old trucks that never get used.
  22. Registered User
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer82 View Post
    why?

    couldn't the same be said for white collar guys that own sports cars and don't race them?
    No. Big 4WD's or trucks as you guys call them should be used for towing boats, caravans, carrying heavy sh1t. Not for everyday driving. They take up more room on the road and have been proven time and time again to be more dangerous for other drivers on the road. Not too mention they're just plain ugly.

    I'd go the S2000. Good quality fast car that looks sweet with some 18inch chromes....
  23. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I'm awaiting EasyEJL's ar***** in this thread touting the superiority of Domestic vehicles.

    There wasn't a domestic in his 3 choices so I can't I still have to go from an accounting perspective, that for similarly equipped eurocars the price tag is enough higher than the american car that in the same time span you can either afford to make the repairs on the american car, or trade in and get another and end up still having spent less...

    And taking your logic on domestic cars, the audis are out forever as their reliability was crap in the 80s, they even caused deaths from "unintended acceleration" Just because for a little while they seemed to be doing better doesn't mean anything.

    I'd have to go with the x5 out of the 3 cars. It will likely be the lowest in maintenance + repairs cost, depending on current mileage and length of time you plan to own them. Thats a big piece of difference here, the S4 wouldn't be bad if it has 40-60k miles on it, but the twin turbo setup would worry me if it already had 90k on it. Also you didn't list the year on the S2000.

    Really like a few people said these are 3 completely different cars. a sporty sedan (I've driven the 2001 S4 before), a midsized SUV, and a small convertible....
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  24. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer82 View Post
    why?

    couldn't the same be said for white collar guys that own sports cars and don't race them?
    yes, and retards who drive lowered civics with loud exhausts and stickers and no other mods who try to race you
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  25. Registered User
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer82 View Post
    Those are all just personal opinions.
    yes true . In Aus however the current affairs shows on telly quite often have stories about SUV's etc and the issues they cause for other drivers.but i guess a crap driver is a crap driver regardles of the car he's driving.
  26. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    yes true . In Aus however the current affairs shows on telly quite often have stories about SUV's etc and the issues they cause for other drivers.but i guess a crap driver is a crap driver regardles of the car he's driving.
    well, you people have your steering wheels on the wrong side, so of course you have problems
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  27. Registered User
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    well, you people have your steering wheels on the wrong side, so of course you have problems
    lol.......... dont remind me of my attempt to drive in hawaii.
  28. Banned
    RisingAgainst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,070
    Answers
    0

    well... I drive my truck off road, I haul heavy crap with it, and I race it... lol!! I guess 2/3 aint bad?
  29. Banned
    RisingAgainst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,070
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer82 View Post
    The only work truck anyone cares about is yo mamma
    ya.. she's a beaut. LOL!!
  30. Banned
    CNorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,191
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    No. Big 4WD's or trucks as you guys call them should be used for towing boats, caravans, carrying heavy sh1t. Not for everyday driving. They take up more room on the road and have been proven time and time again to be more dangerous for other drivers on the road. Not too mention they're just plain ugly....
    I couldnt agree more. Well except the ugly part. Some trucks do look great.

    Trucks are made for towing /hauling **** or offroad driving. At least if you have a sports car it is designed for flat surfaces where it is always driving on. Sporst cars on the road that never race make 100 times more sense than a giant ass truck on the road that never hauls or tows.

    Trucks are just a ****ing hazard. They always shoot rocks everywhere, prevent you from seeing signs on the freeway and burn a lot of gas. I ****ing HATE it when i'm on my bike and trucks are shooting rocks and **** at me. If a truck is used for its real purpose I'll deal with it. If you are driving one to compensate for something then you are a douche.
  31. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    There wasn't a domestic in his 3 choices so I can't I still have to go from an accounting perspective, that for similarly equipped eurocars the price tag is enough higher than the american car that in the same time span you can either afford to make the repairs on the american car, or trade in and get another and end up still having spent less...

    And taking your logic on domestic cars, the audis are out forever as their reliability was crap in the 80s, they even caused deaths from "unintended acceleration" Just because for a little while they seemed to be doing better doesn't mean anything.

    I'd have to go with the x5 out of the 3 cars. It will likely be the lowest in maintenance + repairs cost, depending on current mileage and length of time you plan to own them. Thats a big piece of difference here, the S4 wouldn't be bad if it has 40-60k miles on it, but the twin turbo setup would worry me if it already had 90k on it. Also you didn't list the year on the S2000.

    Really like a few people said these are 3 completely different cars. a sporty sedan (I've driven the 2001 S4 before), a midsized SUV, and a small convertible....
    At least you are persistent in your opinions Easy, credit for that. Despite facing an enormous amount of evidence otherwise.
  32. Banned
    CNorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,191
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by RisingAgainst View Post
    well... I drive my truck off road, I haul heavy crap with it, and I race it... lol!! I guess 2/3 aint bad?
    What kind of 0-60 and 1/4 you get with that Hemi?

    Must be bad ass to drag that truck, but on a track I am guessing it doesn't handle to great compared to a low sports car. Thats the downfall of racing trucks.
  33. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    At least you are persistent in your opinions Easy, credit for that. Despite facing an enormous amount of evidence otherwise.
    Again, its in my specific scenario of buying where it really makes a difference. If you never keep a car past it being 5 years old, and never see more than 60k miles, theres no way the euro vehicle outperforms the domestic once cost is factored in. Yes the cadillac will loose 50-60% in its first 4 years, but the equivalent benz will loose more total dollars even if the percentage is only 38 since the original price is so much higher. So its cheaper to drive the domestic, and in that piece of the lifespan reliability is irrelevant in almost any car.

    And yet mullet, still no real answer as to if the "enormous amount of evidence otherwise" that you mention is true then why do taxi companies and state/local government including canada use US vehicles? they put a lot of miles on vehicles, and for both the cost of unreliability is very high - with taxis it means loss of income as well.

    I'll even agree that in the small 4 cylinder world, it took the american cars a long time to catch up. But in the full size rear wheel drive v8 category, I don't believe there is evidence to support what you say
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  34. Banned
    RisingAgainst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,070
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    What kind of 0-60 and 1/4 you get with that Hemi?

    Must be bad ass to drag that truck, but on a track I am guessing it doesn't handle to great compared to a low sports car. Thats the downfall of racing trucks.
    I dunno how fast it's quarter is, but on a 1/4 mile on ramp to the highway I can usually hit 95-100 no prob
  35. Registered User
    freqfly's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    949
    Answers
    0

    Gotta new one to throw in the mix. 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Spec .B
    Bad-ass IMO, fast, luxury, new... hmmm... decisions decisions
  36. Banned
    CNorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,191
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by freqfly View Post
    Gotta new one to throw in the mix. 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Spec .B
    Bad-ass IMO, fast, luxury, new... hmmm... decisions decisions
    Is AWD a requirement for you?
  37. Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
    riskarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    613
    Answers
    0

    I own an '07 X5 4.8 and it feels like it's got 250, not 350 under the hood.. I average 16mpg in mixed driving, but I don't drive it often. I'd go with a used 3 or 5. Get an xi if you have harsh Winters. I agree with the Subaru, great cars.
  38. Registered User
    freqfly's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    949
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Is AWD a requirement for you?
    Yes, utah's winters are harsh
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. new car
    By Beelzebub in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 10:27 AM
  2. Never let your kid park your new car...
    By tattoopierced1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 07:50 AM
  3. New car (hopefully)...once again, opinions welcomed.
    By xxtruxx1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 08:47 AM
  4. check out my new car just got on the road yesterday
    By NickyNoNames in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-29-2006, 06:18 AM
  5. bored... pictures of my new car and my neighbors car
    By SVTMuscle in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 09:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in