New car debate

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
Almost time to get a new car, well new to me. Down to either a 2001.5 Audi S4, 2003 BMW x5 4.6is, or an S2000.

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
and what are you looking for looks ? MPG? speed ?

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
I'm very car savvy, just wanted yalls opinions what you'd drive n' why

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
if it were for me i would pick between the Audi and S2000.
the 2003 BMW x5 4.6is is more like a family car

and if your going for something sporty i would pick the S2000 if not the audi, and also take in consideration that if your not getting it from a dealer and the Audi breaks down Audi parts are more dificult to find an expensive.

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
if it were for me i would pick between the Audi and S2000.
the 2003 BMW x5 4.6is is more like a family car

and if your going for something sporty i would pick the S2000 if not the audi, and also take in consideration that if your not getting it from a dealer and the Audi breaks down Audi parts are more dificult to find an expensive.
I hear that one, 3 of my buddies own S4's.... parts a a grip of ka$h!! I do live in utah, so if i got the s2k, i would have to keep my jeep for the winters. The S4, I could roll that year round....

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm awaiting EasyEJL's arrival in this thread touting the superiority of Domestic vehicles.

:D

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are only a few American cars I would buy...Trucks & SUVs for sure, but cars.....
Exactamundo.

Audis have definitely been slipping in reliability lately (2-3 years). But formerly they were consistently at the top of the pack.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
The Audi & BMW are the only one that can handle to winter. S2000, its and ok car. Lots of aftermarket same for the Audi though. I am partial to Audi styling, simple. But their engines are fair. The BMW, well if you like the name do it. S2000, fun to drive, not the fastest and its only a 2 seater. I would go Audi - Turbo, AWD? some models maybe?
S2000 - 4 cyl, light, nimble, aftermarket huge, RWD, but its a vert. and the hardtop is $2,500+
BMW - I just think they are over priced, heavy, somewhat fast, nice styling, not super reliable, more short term fun.

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
Let good ol' Gix make this decision for you...

You will regret it if you don't get the S4, those are turboed arn't they? My friend has one, its a siiicckkk car.
They are bi-turbo... great cars. As long as they've been maintained, they are very reliable.

RisingAgainst

RisingAgainst

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm rolling in an 08 RAM with the Hemi in it... its a great car.. I say fuk the pasta rockets and rice rockets, get a man's vehicle. LOL

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm rolling in an 08 RAM with the Hemi in it... its a great car.. I say fuk the pasta rockets and rice rockets, get a man's vehicle. LOL
It must be nice to get 10 mpg and drive a truck that has never towed anything or seen anything with dirt on it in the bed. :D

Seriously though I think its a joke when you see a big truck without a hitch on it. Personally the only reason I see to own one is if you tow or haul stuff.

RisingAgainst

RisingAgainst

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It must be nice to get 10 mpg and drive a truck that has never towed anything or seen anything with dirt on it in the bed. :D

Seriously though I think its a joke when you see a big truck without a hitch on it. Personally the only reason I see to own one is if you tow or haul stuff.
uhh you need to check your statement bro, its my WORK truck, I'm hauling fukkin rocks that weigh well over 1200 lbs in it, it's bed is annihilated and scraped and scratched and dented to hell, oh and I get 17 on the highway with the new ignition setup on the hemi's...

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
uhh you need to check your statement bro, its my WORK truck, I'm hauling fukkin rocks that weigh well over 1200 lbs in it, it's bed is annihilated and scraped and scratched and dented to hell, oh and I get 17 on the highway with the new ignition setup on the hemi's...
Thats cool then. I do hate all the douche bags with white collar jobs with big old trucks that never get used.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
why?

couldn't the same be said for white collar guys that own sports cars and don't race them?
No. Big 4WD's or trucks as you guys call them should be used for towing boats, caravans, carrying heavy sh1t. Not for everyday driving. They take up more room on the road and have been proven time and time again to be more dangerous for other drivers on the road. Not too mention they're just plain ugly.

I'd go the S2000. Good quality fast car that looks sweet with some 18inch chromes....

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm awaiting EasyEJL's arrival in this thread touting the superiority of Domestic vehicles.

:D
There wasn't a domestic in his 3 choices so I can't :) I still have to go from an accounting perspective, that for similarly equipped eurocars the price tag is enough higher than the american car that in the same time span you can either afford to make the repairs on the american car, or trade in and get another and end up still having spent less...

And taking your logic on domestic cars, the audis are out forever as their reliability was crap in the 80s, they even caused deaths from "unintended acceleration" ;) Just because for a little while they seemed to be doing better doesn't mean anything. ;)

I'd have to go with the x5 out of the 3 cars. It will likely be the lowest in maintenance + repairs cost, depending on current mileage and length of time you plan to own them. Thats a big piece of difference here, the S4 wouldn't be bad if it has 40-60k miles on it, but the twin turbo setup would worry me if it already had 90k on it. Also you didn't list the year on the S2000.

Really like a few people said these are 3 completely different cars. a sporty sedan (I've driven the 2001 S4 before), a midsized SUV, and a small convertible....

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
why?

couldn't the same be said for white collar guys that own sports cars and don't race them?
yes, and retards who drive lowered civics with loud exhausts and stickers and no other mods who try to race you ;)

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Those are all just personal opinions.
yes true . In Aus however the current affairs shows on telly quite often have stories about SUV's etc and the issues they cause for other drivers.but i guess a crap driver is a crap driver regardles of the car he's driving.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes true . In Aus however the current affairs shows on telly quite often have stories about SUV's etc and the issues they cause for other drivers.but i guess a crap driver is a crap driver regardles of the car he's driving.
well, you people have your steering wheels on the wrong side, so of course you have problems :D

RisingAgainst

RisingAgainst

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well... I drive my truck off road, I haul heavy crap with it, and I race it... lol!! I guess 2/3 aint bad?

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No. Big 4WD's or trucks as you guys call them should be used for towing boats, caravans, carrying heavy sh1t. Not for everyday driving. They take up more room on the road and have been proven time and time again to be more dangerous for other drivers on the road. Not too mention they're just plain ugly....
I couldnt agree more. Well except the ugly part. Some trucks do look great.

Trucks are made for towing /hauling **** or offroad driving. At least if you have a sports car it is designed for flat surfaces where it is always driving on. Sporst cars on the road that never race make 100 times more sense than a giant ass truck on the road that never hauls or tows.

Trucks are just a fvcking hazard. They always shoot rocks everywhere, prevent you from seeing signs on the freeway and burn a lot of gas. I ****ing HATE it when i'm on my bike and trucks are shooting rocks and **** at me. If a truck is used for its real purpose I'll deal with it. If you are driving one to compensate for something then you are a douche.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There wasn't a domestic in his 3 choices so I can't :) I still have to go from an accounting perspective, that for similarly equipped eurocars the price tag is enough higher than the american car that in the same time span you can either afford to make the repairs on the american car, or trade in and get another and end up still having spent less...

And taking your logic on domestic cars, the audis are out forever as their reliability was crap in the 80s, they even caused deaths from "unintended acceleration" ;) Just because for a little while they seemed to be doing better doesn't mean anything. ;)

I'd have to go with the x5 out of the 3 cars. It will likely be the lowest in maintenance + repairs cost, depending on current mileage and length of time you plan to own them. Thats a big piece of difference here, the S4 wouldn't be bad if it has 40-60k miles on it, but the twin turbo setup would worry me if it already had 90k on it. Also you didn't list the year on the S2000.

Really like a few people said these are 3 completely different cars. a sporty sedan (I've driven the 2001 S4 before), a midsized SUV, and a small convertible....
At least you are persistent in your opinions Easy, credit for that. Despite facing an enormous amount of evidence otherwise.:blink:

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well... I drive my truck off road, I haul heavy crap with it, and I race it... lol!! I guess 2/3 aint bad?
What kind of 0-60 and 1/4 you get with that Hemi?

Must be bad ass to drag that truck, but on a track I am guessing it doesn't handle to great compared to a low sports car. Thats the downfall of racing trucks.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At least you are persistent in your opinions Easy, credit for that. Despite facing an enormous amount of evidence otherwise.:blink:
Again, its in my specific scenario of buying where it really makes a difference. If you never keep a car past it being 5 years old, and never see more than 60k miles, theres no way the euro vehicle outperforms the domestic once cost is factored in. Yes the cadillac will loose 50-60% in its first 4 years, but the equivalent benz will loose more total dollars even if the percentage is only 38 since the original price is so much higher. So its cheaper to drive the domestic, and in that piece of the lifespan reliability is irrelevant in almost any car.

And yet mullet, still no real answer as to if the "enormous amount of evidence otherwise" that you mention is true then why do taxi companies and state/local government including canada use US vehicles? they put a lot of miles on vehicles, and for both the cost of unreliability is very high - with taxis it means loss of income as well.

I'll even agree that in the small 4 cylinder world, it took the american cars a long time to catch up. But in the full size rear wheel drive v8 category, I don't believe there is evidence to support what you say :)

RisingAgainst

RisingAgainst

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What kind of 0-60 and 1/4 you get with that Hemi?

Must be bad ass to drag that truck, but on a track I am guessing it doesn't handle to great compared to a low sports car. Thats the downfall of racing trucks.
I dunno how fast it's quarter is, but on a 1/4 mile on ramp to the highway I can usually hit 95-100 no prob

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
Gotta new one to throw in the mix. 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Spec .B
Bad-ass IMO, fast, luxury, new... hmmm... decisions decisions

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
I own an '07 X5 4.8 and it feels like it's got 250, not 350 under the hood.. I average 16mpg in mixed driving, but I don't drive it often. I'd go with a used 3 or 5. Get an xi if you have harsh Winters. I agree with the Subaru, great cars.