What should become of Barry Bonds?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.92%

What should become of Barry Bonds?

Barry Bonds has been indicted on four counts of perjury and one count of obstructing justice in response to the testimony he gave to a federal grand jury in 2003. I thought that people on this board would be buzzing about it, but they are not as of yet.

I am interested in this as an ethical question. I think that most people on this board recognize that anabolic and androgenic steroids have legitimate medical applications, and most of us think that individuals should be able to use these compounds for the purpose of bodybuilding without facing legal repercussions. I certainly believe both of those things.

When it comes to introducing these drugs into competitive sports, however, I think the opposite. I think that taking steroids in the context of a sport where one or more opponents abides by the rules and does not take them amounts to cheating. I think that Barry Bonds cheated, lied about it to a grand jury, and should be punished for it. It matters not at all to me that Bonds was encouraged in his actions by McGuire, Conseco, Sosa, and whoever else. As long as one of his opponents played by the rules, Bonds is a cheat in my book.

What should his punishment be, if any? I think Bonds deliberately derailed the government's effort to make baseball fair, and he deserves a punishment for doing so. "Mr. Bonds, 43, faces up to five years in prison if he is convicted of the perjury charges and 10 years if convicted of the obstruction of justice count." -from
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/15/sp...-bonds.html?hp

I think Bonds should be punished, but these sentences sound excessive to me. Basically, I think the punishment should be restitutive, not retributive ... i.e. I think that the punishment should seek to make right the wrong that Bonds inflicted, rather than inflicting harm on Bonds to avenge his crime.

What would an appropriate resitutive punishment be in this case? Well, for one thing, I think Bonds could repay the money that was spent putting together the grand jury in the first place. I think he should be obliged to forfeit earnings from the times the government establishes his first known use until the present.

If Bonds continues to deny everything, rather that attempt to atone for his actions, perhaps some prison time is warranted. I would think that a nominal sentence is warranted, something that sends a warning to others, but does not prevent Bonds from moving on. I think six months to a year would do the trick.

What do the rest of you think?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.18%

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer82 View Post
    They are only coming down on him cause he is the homerun king. Steroids do not make him hit homeruns. He hits homeruns because he is a good hitter. Most professional athletes have taken steroids at some point.
    No doubt he is a great hitter, with an eye that is flat out amazing...But how many of those home runs would have hit the fence or been on the warning track without the juice...? An extra 10 ft. means a lot....
    Armed to the teeth.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.33%

They are only coming down on him cause he is the homerun king. Steroids do not make him hit homeruns. He hits homeruns because he is a good hitter. Most professional athletes have taken steroids at some point.
    Good Point, i think if he was taking roids. He would be a little more developed than he is, im not saying he is small. But he is just as big as david ortiz, and they havent questioned ortiz this strictly yet.

I agree with gixxer, if he was only to hit 700home runs... they wouldnt bother. Only cause he defeated the "greatest of hitters" in the game. They wanna make sure its legit.

my 0.02 cents.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

That's too excessive. I'd give him community service and make him sign autographs for free 5 weekends a year. If baseball was serious about this then they'd go after everyone, not just Barry. Barry is the biggest fish in the MLB steroid world right now and they're going for his throat. BTW, nothing has been proven yet. I personally think he used roids but I don't see that as a big crime so I would treat it as if it were weed in Amsterdam.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    7'5"  600 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

The government needs to stop enforcing MLB rules and spend my tax dollars somewhere else.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.68%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Packenwood View Post
    The government needs to stop enforcing MLB rules and spend my tax dollars somewhere else.

Boy I sure agree with that!

Other than that, this guy is a genuine a-hole, with a hugely overinflated ego. Congress is going after him because he lied under oath..... while he had been granted complete immunity! I mean, that takes some serious balls, or serious stupidity. I think he's getting what he deserves. Not because he was involved with steroids, but because of his complete disrespect for pretty much everyone, including congress.
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.61%

Yeah He was a great player before he ever touched juice. He was obviously on something though His head almost doubled in size.. Im a huge fan though and Have been for like 12 years. I sure as hell dont think he should get 30 years for this sh1t. which is the max they could give him. asterisk next to his name, maybe but he shouldnt be doing time.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by NateWA View Post
    I sure as hell dont think he should get 30 years for this sh1t. which is the max they could give him. asterisk next to his name, maybe but he shouldnt be doing time.
    I wouldn't even put an asterisk next to his name. We could put an asterisk next to Ruth because he didn't play against the good players from Latin America, Japan, and Blacks. They're both great players and to take anything away from them is wrong. This would lead to a slippery slope effect if MLB officially did that.
  9. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.9%

No matter how juiced up someone is they won't get any better at hitting a baseball...

I think he is a dickhead, but he is also one hell of a hitter.
    Last edited by Tighe; 11-17-2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: spelling
  10. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.9%

I'm drunk as **** and not muscular at all and I think you should beat him. So do it.
  11. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.03%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

With the REAL problems we have in this world this is an absolute disgrace. Why isn't our govt focusing on getting the troops home and stopping terrorism? instead they waste millions of our dollars on an insignificant baseball player. After all it's a game that's it. The war is real life.
  12. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by washingtonirvin View Post
    I am interested in this as an ethical question. I think that most people on this board recognize that anabolic and androgenic steroids have legitimate medical applications, and most of us think that individuals should be able to use these compounds for the purpose of bodybuilding without facing legal repercussions. I certainly believe both of those things.

When it comes to introducing these drugs into competitive sports, however, I think the opposite. I think that taking steroids in the context of a sport where one or more opponents abides by the rules and does not take them amounts to cheating. I think that Barry Bonds cheated, lied about it to a grand jury, and should be punished for it. It matters not at all to me that Bonds was encouraged in his actions by McGuire, Conseco, Sosa, and whoever else. As long as one of his opponents played by the rules, Bonds is a cheat in my book.

What should his punishment be, if any? I think Bonds deliberately derailed the government's effort to make baseball fair, and he deserves a punishment for doing so. "Mr. Bonds, 43, faces up to five years in prison if he is convicted of the perjury charges and 10 years if convicted of the obstruction of justice count." -from
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/15/sp...-bonds.html?hp

I think Bonds should be punished, but these sentences sound excessive to me. Basically, I think the punishment should be restitutive, not retributive ... i.e. I think that the punishment should seek to make right the wrong that Bonds inflicted, rather than inflicting harm on Bonds to avenge his crime.

What would an appropriate resitutive punishment be in this case? Well, for one thing, I think Bonds could repay the money that was spent putting together the grand jury in the first place. I think he should be obliged to forfeit earnings from the times the government establishes his first known use until the present.

If Bonds continues to deny everything, rather that attempt to atone for his actions, perhaps some prison time is warranted. I would think that a nominal sentence is warranted, something that sends a warning to others, but does not prevent Bonds from moving on. I think six months to a year would do the trick.

What do the rest of you think?
    The issue I often wonder is that if prescribed by a Dr. for the treatment of anti-aging would testosterone and hgh still be against MLB rules. I am unaware of this one way or the other. Legitimate medical puposes and supraphysiological levels of androgens and growth hormone is not a legitimate medical purpose.

Barry is being prosecuted by the feds for purjery and obstruction. He is not being prosecuted for the use or the possession of steroids or a controlled substance.

Those are the very maximum for sentencing guidlines. He will not do time to that extent if at all. Yet I don't see a problem with him doing 6 months to a year in a minimum security facility with 3-5 years supervised probation just like our friend PA.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    7'5"  600 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jminis View Post
    With the REAL problems we have in this world this is an absolute disgrace. Why isn't our govt focusing on getting the troops home and stopping terrorism? instead they waste millions of our dollars on an insignificant baseball player. After all it's a game that's it. The war is real life.
    And what I think is funny, is MLB and other sports authorities have written in their hand books that they have 'allowable' amounts of 'recreational drugs' that can be found in a players blood test.

Why not just say 'If we find ANYTHING you are history'? You'd have either clean sports players, or you'd have a damn line out the door for kids that really want to play for the sport that would be a mile long.

Get rid of the dopers if its that big of a deal and start holding open auditions.

Oh, and give me my god damn tax dollars back. I need to eat.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    7'5"  600 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

steroids arn't under the same category as recreational drugs.
    True, but they are taking to the 'save the children' level. If drugs are bad mmmkay for the kids, then it should be across the board imho.

As far as performance enhancing goes, it should be up to the league to determine that not my elected congressmen.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Sick of my career, what should I become...
    By Travis in forum General Chat
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 09:16 PM
  2. What should I do with one bottle of M4OHN?
    By BigVrunga in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 12:20 AM
  3. 1 bottle of SD what should I do?
    By victory747 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 06:25 PM
  4. Micro-doses of PH's? My goals/what should I do?
    By Angular Air in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 03:48 AM
  5. what is to become of anabolicarchive?
    By dez/null in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 06:18 PM