dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How can you even ask this????

And I thought you were a Heavy Metal fan...What's next...Nickelback???

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Nickelback has some good songs apart from the junk the radio always plays.

Killswitch's version is too "homo"ish
Gixx...i cant believe you just said Killswitchs version is to homo-ish and then admit you enjoy Nickelback.

Side note: Most ofNickelbacks songs are the same with different lyrics.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never liked Dio....he reminds me of like a 60 year old goth kid who just can't get his pink socks to stretch up to his knees quite right. Killswitch is a bit mellow for my tastes, but I like the cover. Hell, bought the album it's on just to give 'em a try because of it! Not lifting music to me, but decent for cardio work! ;)

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
How can you even ask this????

And I thought you were a Heavy Metal fan...What's next...Nickelback???
You ever hear other Killswitch stuff? I know Dio is old school but Killswitch is def heavy enough to be metal, they just have the "new" style.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Never liked Dio....he reminds me of like a 60 year old goth kid who just can't get his pink socks to stretch up to his knees quite right. Killswitch is a bit mellow for my tastes, but I like the cover. Hell, bought the album it's on just to give 'em a try because of it! Not lifting music to me, but decent for cardio work! ;)
haha what? what killswitch did you buy. ill admit they are failry melodic.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
killswitch by far imho. if you think they are too soft, go listen to their first cd...they are slowly but surely creeping into the realm of radio friendliness

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah but that not what we want..every band conforms and that sucks!!

Their first cd isn't even the same singer
This after what you said about Nickelback? Inconsistent much?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Huge circa 80's Dio fan.

Though I like the hard(er) edge that Killswitch puts on it, the inaudible grunts and groans do it a disservice.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can't replace the charismatic sound of Ronnie James Dio's voice. You can tweak up the guitars, play with the band arangement, but without Dio, it's crap.

Remixing a song by Dio is about as doable as a second recording of "Ina Goda Da Vida" by Iron Butterfly.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Killswitch was better before they signed - then like most "radio-hungry ego's" do, they go soft. Although their cover is pretty cool, DIO will get my vote.

At a SLAYER concert a few years back, they covered HOLY DIVER and ripped that sh!t - sounded as if they were killing DIO while they played - it was freakin' insane!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here; this will date me: Vivian Campbell demoed a Randall half stack at a Stick n' Strings music store here in Mesa when they (Dio) were in town. We watched him demo and then, in the alter-ego role of my brother's manager (he is a guitar virtuosos in his own right) I walked up to the counter and unrolled a stack of 100's and laid the cash down and said "He'll take it"

Few years later saw him in Whitesnake at the Texas Jam.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dio wins hands down!!!!!!!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude i heard "rainbow in the dark" two nights ago coming back from the gym and i was blastin that sh*t!!!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here; this will date me: Vivian Campbell demoed a Randall half stack at a Stick n' Strings music store here in Mesa when they (Dio) were in town. We watched him demo and then, in the alter-ego role of my brother's manager (he is a guitar virtuosos in his own right) I walked up to the counter and unrolled a stack of 100's and laid the cash down and said "He'll take it"

Few years later saw him in Whitesnake at the Texas Jam.
Wow. Now I am really showing my age. The story above was a real experience less the uncertainty that I am not too sure now 24 yrs later if it was actually Vivian Campbell. I think it was George Lynch from Dokken if my memory serves me right. He and Don Dokken were actually local residents (I believe they still are) and I believe it was George and not Vivian.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/7/6/382076.jpg

But I did see Dio here and at the Texas Jam :)

The 80's were something if I remember correctly ;)

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks 5150! I just uploaded the DIO Years onto my MP3! Ha-Ha!

5150 - Van Halen fan?

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
yeah but that not what we want..every band conforms and that sucks!!

Their first cd isn't even the same singer
yeah, they definitely sound a lot different. i like both versions of killswitch a lot. i think they do a great job on this song though, and the video is hilarious.

I can just picture B5150 sitting in front of the screen mumbling about "those damn kids these days and their screaming and grunting" :)...kidding B, you aren't that old yet

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Gixx...i cant believe you just said Killswitchs version is to homo-ish and then admit you enjoy Nickelback.

Side note: Most ofNickelbacks songs are the same with different lyrics.
Side note: ALL of Nickelbacks songs are the same with different lyrics.

I've never seen a more successful band use the same formula over and over again to write entire albums.

I bet you could do a mashup with a few of their songs and not even notice.

TheLittleGuy

TheLittleGuy

Awards
nickelsack, pickleback they suck yes they have and make more money then me but they still suck if you use there formula you can write songs just as good :dump: oh and killswitch gets my vote

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can just picture B5150 sitting in front of the screen mumbling about "those damn kids these days and their screaming and grunting" :)...kidding B, you aren't that old yet
I am very much into metal of my day. I do prefer the vocals of Rob Halford, Geoff Tate and Don Dokken than the less skilled of the present.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
yup, i am far more into the metal of today, but i can absolutely see how you can say the older style is more skilled

atnartist

atnartist

Awards
You can't replace the charismatic sound of Ronnie James Dio's voice. You can tweak up the guitars, play with the band arangement, but without Dio, it's crap.

Remixing a song by Dio is about as doable as a second recording of "Ina Goda Da Vida" by Iron Butterfly.
Ain't that the truth. Of course you know some rapper just did that with Irion Butterfly's consent I'm sure. Caus'e its all about the green.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ain't that the truth. Of course you know some rapper just did that with Irion Butterfly's consent I'm sure. Caus'e its all about the green.
Sampling adds a whole new dimension to songwriting and music record; however, it is talentlessly overused in the mainstream. The idea is that band arrangments are layered, and with good sampling, different layers from different songs are blended together to create a new sound. The mainstreams interpretation of this, unfortunately, is to take all the layers of one song, punctuated with a *scratch*.

In case anyone was curious about the mention of Iron Butterfly, I'll give you the backstory.
Iron Butterfly, aside from writing music, loved to PARTY! They basically partied until the time they were scheduled at the recording studio to record their song "In a garden of Eden". In the studio they were TRASHED. They completely screwed up "In a garden of Eden", but for some reason, it sounded really good. It was so good, they kept it for the record. The song has since been coined "Ina Goda da Vida" because that was the closest the lead singer could get to "In a garden of Eden".

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: