Looking for opinions on lawsuit brought against police

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually think that most law enforcement goes too far, but, in this case, that guy is lucky he wasn't shot. In my town, the police shot a kid that had a fork.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
RODJA, that was my opinion. The guy went for one of their guns. Deadly force could have been an option. It just iritates me when i see things done right and someone is allowed to file such a law suit. I mean if the other trooper didnt hit him with the gun imagine what the outcome would have been had he got the gun out of the holster.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RODJA, that was my opinion. The guy went for one of their guns. Deadly force could have been an option. It just iritates me when i see things done right and someone is allowed to file such a law suit. I mean if the other trooper didnt hit him with the gun imagine what the outcome would have been had he got the gun out of the holster.
That is why it is completely justified, IMO. The worst part is the lawyer that is taking the case. I cannot stand frivolous lawsuits like this.

still alive

Banned
Awards
Well my opinion is going to be tainted because im a state trooper but i recently read an article in my State FOP magazine about 3 state troopers from another state are being sued for 50 million. According to the article a man that was high on Meth went on a rampage in his town with an Axe. He smashed 30 some windows on cars and threatened to kill several people with the axe. He attempted to cut down someones garage door in an attempt to get to the man. The state police were called, the man was wearing a poncho so it was unclear if he had anyweapons. He was pepper sprayed and apparently that didnt phase him. The troopers were in the process of trying to get handcuffs on him when he reached for one of the troopers guns. At that time the 3rd trooper used the but of his shotgun to hit him in the head knocking him to the ground and putting a laceration on his head. He resisted for several minutes more but was eventually taken into custody. The man was taken to the hospital and stitched up no medical complications and the troopers even documented he was struck in the head with the butt of the gun. Do you guys think this guy is justified in a 50 million dollar lawsuit and do you feel the cops acted wrongly? His only claim was brutality based on the gun blow to the head. These suits infuriate me !
the police were right in this case.i've heard other cases where a suspect reached for an officers firearm and was shot.and all of them were ruled justified.i agree.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I agree with this. As well as the guy had an axe and was methed up.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well its good they thought of something elese other than shooting him dead. I think maybe cops should carry some kind of tranqulizer gun, maybe that would have helped in this situation?

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
They should have shot his ass dead right there then tazered him.

Resisting is bad enough, reaching for a cops gun shows some sort of intent on taking it up a notch. BAM!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Justified and the guy won't get anything... but jail time.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Well my opinion is going to be tainted because im a state trooper but i recently read an article in my State FOP magazine about 3 state troopers from another state are being sued for 50 million. According to the article a man that was high on Meth went on a rampage in his town with an Axe. He smashed 30 some windows on cars and threatened to kill several people with the axe. He attempted to cut down someones garage door in an attempt to get to the man. The state police were called, the man was wearing a poncho so it was unclear if he had anyweapons. He was pepper sprayed and apparently that didnt phase him. The troopers were in the process of trying to get handcuffs on him when he reached for one of the troopers guns. At that time the 3rd trooper used the but of his shotgun to hit him in the head knocking him to the ground and putting a laceration on his head. He resisted for several minutes more but was eventually taken into custody. The man was taken to the hospital and stitched up no medical complications and the troopers even documented he was struck in the head with the butt of the gun. Do you guys think this guy is justified in a 50 million dollar lawsuit and do you feel the cops acted wrongly? His only claim was brutality based on the gun blow to the head. These suits infuriate me !

Well, if they shot him in the head with that shotgun then that would have been better b/c dead people can't sue. Know what I'm sayin' ?

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
The cops were actually justified. Surprising how much restraint they showed considering how trigger happy law enforcement seems to be now.

So far cops have shot and killed 7 people in my city this year. 2 or 3 of which were unarmed... Of course, the department claims they were justified, and the cops get off free and clear, as always. It's basically legal murder.