Bigorexia - Do you have it?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One of my friends has a bad case of this. I used to, but I have been through with the size game for a while now.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
One of my friends has a bad case of this. I used to, but I have been through with the size game for a while now.
Yeah, the news report was pretty vague. Said it can lead to AAS use, but that was really the only negative they said. Also being socially inept or something.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Lol no desire to be big, lean and cut yes..so what do they call that one these days?

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
i know some guys at my gym that have it really bad. they say they are fat and stuff like that but they are really big with some definition, not really cut but you can see some defenition and they feel like they were fat asses and that they need more muscle

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have it real bad. Anytime I see a skinny dude I think, "Wow, that dude is worthless." It's pretty bad.

I agree with the socially inept thing. I think that's why me and bodybuilding make such a great pair; I'm not an overly social person to begin with. I'm my own best friend when I need to be. I have my family and a few good, true friends, and that's all I need.

But yes, Zombie, I too have Bigorexia on my penis; as in it must get bigger...and I know that for a fact.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I have it real bad. Anytime I see a skinny dude I think, "Wow, that dude is worthless." It's pretty bad.

I agree with the socially inept thing. I think that's why me and bodybuilding make such a great pair; I'm not an overly social person to begin with. I'm my own best friend when I need to be. I have my family and a few good, true friends, and that's all I need.

But yes, Zombie, I too have Bigorexia on my penis; as in it must get bigger...and I know that for a fact.
I've always been some what shy, and in the gym i don't talk to anyone really. Maybe 2 or 3 people and thats it. Mostly I don't care what other people are doing.....I'm there to lift.

And I'll never be big enough, and if I could take the other fork in the road I'd do it right now rather than piss around with ph/ps supplements.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Then I must be worthless...

Truth be told, I am happier at around 185 than in the low 170's, but I know that it is better for me to be at this size for MMA.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Then I must be worthless...

Truth be told, I am happier at around 185 than in the low 170's, but I know that it is better for me to be at this size for MMA.
You are worthless. I didn't wanna say anything cuz you're my boy and all, but seriously bro. :lol:

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I guess I have it. I'm not like gixxer or ic but I know dudes like that. If they see a hot chick with a skinny dude it pisses them off.lol I just love seeing results in size and strength. I like how they have a name for it. Everybody that is serious about something will always critize thereselves. Its no diffrent than tiger woods being unhappy with a drive that would make an average golfer cream their pants.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Thats pathetic of you if you think of a skinny guy is worthless just because he's skinny.Im glad Im not you!

Maybe slightly at one point when I got up to Two hundred thirty pounds with fifteen-seventeen bodyfat. Now I understand Bodybuilding is about being proportional, size, symetry, the the whole package, not just being big with no defination. Image a picture of Frank Zane, or youtube the 1980 O. Wow .amazing thats an good example.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
let's face it......everyone here in this forum has some sort of mental disorder.

call it what you like, bigorexia, obsessive compulsive disorder, body building - it's all a sickness.

at least it a healthier sickness. :)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
let's face it......everyone here in this forum has some sort of mental disorder.

call it what you like, bigorexia, obsessive compulsive disorder, body building - it's all a sickness.

at least it a healthier sickness. :)
Body-building is a healthy thing and all them rumors about bodybuilders being insecure , ocd, and as you say sickness is just incorrect. Its just something a person likes to do just like an artist loves art. Im happy Im a body-builder. Im glad I allow it to be a part of my life.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats pathetic of you if you think of a skinny guy is worthless just because he's skinny.Im glad Im not you!

Maybe slightly at one point when I got up to Two hundred thirty pounds with fifteen-seventeen bodyfat. Now I understand Bodybuilding is about being proportional, size, symetry, the the whole package, not just being big with no defination. Image a picture of Frank Zane, or youtube the 1980 O. Wow .amazing thats an good example.
You're taking it a little extreme. It's more of a, "I'm glad I'm not that skinny." type of thing.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Body-building is a healthy thing and all them rumors about bodybuilders being insecure , ocd, and as you say sickness is just incorrect. Its just something a person likes to do just like an artist loves art. Im happy Im a body-builder. Im glad I allow it to be a part of my life.
agree somewhat. Honestly what we do is not healthy as you guys think. We have to compare what we eat to the FDA regulations sometimes(YEs FDA was brought up, dont flame, i do hate them to sometimes) When we low carb, PH use, Up protein to high, and all the other great stuff that gets us to look good....but not be best for our minds and bodies.

On that note, I have Bigorexia. I look at myself and think i am not big enough. I know people say i am, i dont beleive them. I see some people(i know are smaller) and think they are the same size and in better shape. I have a lil anxiety but snapped on my friend when he said "you lift and workout for the girls and you knwo it" HE is 190lbs and flabby. I told him he doesnt know shyt and maybe he should do what i doand live afew more years. :trout: :nutkick:

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't totally agree with this. I don't think bodybuilding in itself is completely healthy. When you get down to contest diets, it's really not that good for you. Moderate weightlifting and a healthy diet are good, but bodybuilding takes both to an extreme. I agree, however, that I am happy to be a part of bodybuilding.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
O Yeah of course them last 2-3 months of deiting are probally not the greatest for the body, when one is gettign ready for a show. How many here has actually done this?

Not many. Not I. Lowest bodyfat Ive been as an adult is ten percent. If you do do a show make it worth it , The pictures and self accomplish will build upon your shoulders I can only imagine.Overall though I think the benegits outweigh. I think detox;s are important once a year , all veggies for three days and lowered protein intake when you take a week off. It gives the body a rest from pounding in four hundred grams of Protein per day. and of course eating healthy while bodybuilding, fruits, veggies. sleeping sound and deep of course, mediation, just being positive and happy generally.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
O Yeah of course them last 2-3 months of deiting are probally not the greatest for the body, when one is gettign ready for a show. How many here has actually done this?
:wave:

Anyways, as far as health goes dietwise, I guarantee I'm more healthy the way I eat now than the way I ate before all of this:)hot:).

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
It's not a bad disease. The media likes to blow this out of proportion and they'll nit pick at everything they can. The only way it can become unhealthy is if the individual takes it to the extreme and does irreparable damage to his body.

lilGiant

lilGiant

Awards
i got a little bit of it...but its not life threatening or anything that will take away from the really important things in life like some people have it. Bigorexia (muscle dysmorphia) is a condition in which it controlls your life to the point were you dont have a life, 4 real.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess I have it. I'm not like gixxer or ic but I know dudes like that. If they see a hot chick with a skinny dude it pisses them off.lol I just love seeing results in size and strength. I like how they have a name for it. Everybody that is serious about something will always critize thereselves. Its no diffrent than tiger woods being unhappy with a drive that would make an average golfer cream their pants.

Completely different!. This is when being not big enough bothers the person dramatically. They will never be happy and will never be satisfied, so yes it is a problem.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't see it as a problem.

Problems are things people make up aka excuses
I don't think you guys are quite grasping this as a mental disorder. Everybody has a desire to get in better shape. A disorder is when it gets blown so far out of proportion that it's a bad thing.

BDD, moreover, "Bigorexia" is not the desire to get HUGE. It is the complete and utter dissatisfaction with your physique and inability to perceive improvement. Imagine if despite all that you've ever done, you never (noticed that you've) made any progress. You'd go crazy, huh? You'd start doing crazy, crazy **** in attempt to make some gains. You'd become obsessed with adding a friggin' pound to the frame. I think it becomes a problem when you start putting this obsession above all other aspects of your life: family, friends, pleasure, God, school, work, health, and safety.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BDD, moreover, "Bigorexia" is not the desire to get HUGE. It is the complete and utter dissatisfaction with your physique and inability to perceive improvement. Imagine if despite all that you've ever done, you never (noticed that you've) made any progress. You'd go crazy, huh? You'd start doing crazy, crazy **** in attempt to make some gains. You'd become obsessed with adding a friggin' pound to the frame. I think it becomes a problem when you start putting this obsession above all other aspects of your life: family, friends, pleasure, school, work, health, and safety.
I totally agree with his statement, its when it becomes like an eating disorder and you can't see yourself for what you really look like.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think my wife would agree that I suffer from it. I am a fairly good size, with decent definition, yet I always sound like a little girl complaining about not being big enough

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't think you guys are quite grasping this as a mental disorder. Everybody has a desire to get in better shape. A disorder is when it gets blown so far out of proportion that it's a bad thing.

BDD, moreover, "Bigorexia" is not the desire to get HUGE. It is the complete and utter dissatisfaction with your physique and inability to perceive improvement. Imagine if despite all that you've ever done, you never (noticed that you've) made any progress. You'd go crazy, huh? You'd start doing crazy, crazy **** in attempt to make some gains. You'd become obsessed with adding a friggin' pound to the frame. I think it becomes a problem when you start putting this obsession above all other aspects of your life: family, friends, pleasure, God, school, work, health, and safety.

I agree with you man. I sometimes reconsider what the hell I'm doing. I step out of myself for a moment and think about all that i am doing to achieve this "goal" Then I come back down to earth and realize that this is what I live for, it makes me happy, I am conscious of my health, I balance bbing with a long term relationship, family, friends and school. But I will say I have a bit of BDD as well. I mean i got into this sport becuase of poor body image. I had **** self confidence, I thought I'd never attract a girl, People made fun of me so I said fvck them, wait a few years and then kiss my ass while i'm he-man fvcking your girlfriend in the ass, and watching everyones self confidence lower in the gym as i walk by.

(i'm not so crude in person, but underneath it all, I'm sure that's why bodybuilding continues to exist and have people participate in such an art-sport...)

most of us are all alike on this board.......its something to remember

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

There are also a lot of people that have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that do not realize it. Especially people in "bodybuilding circles", hard explain what I mean...People that are into fitness I guess and visit bodybuilding boards. I mean the people that describe bodybuilding as a "lifestyle" and not a hobby. The people that spend all their time and money on fitness and health, and spend outrageous amounts of money on supplements....People don't want to believe it is a real problem, they think its just a made up excuse for doctors and shrinks to prescribe medications. A lot of people feel this way about ADD and also depression. To some extent I believe it to be true. After all, that is how these people make money. Also, they like to get a bonus check from the pharmaceutical companies when they prescibe their drugs!. Just comparing and contrasting here. I can see it from both ends. I'm neither here nor their on the issue though.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
admit it..........you hang out on this forum to make yourself feel somewhat normal by surrounding yourself with like minded people.

in reality, we are far from normal.

if you told a general doctor all the supplements you take, your detailed calorie counting/macro nutrient breakdown diet, and your obsession for exercise & the science behind it, they would want to prescribe you some sort of medication - maybe anti-anxiety, anti-depressants, or some psychoactive drug.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
everyone wants to place the term "syndrome" on every type of behavior today.

i dont have bigorexia. that is just what people that are smaller and less genetically gifted that i am say to make themselves feel better. I have "better genetics and determination than you-arexia". my penis is also probably much larger. lets call that, bananarexia.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
admit it..........you hang out on this forum to make yourself feel somewhat normal by surrounding yourself with like minded people.

in reality, we are far from normal.

if you told a general doctor all the supplements you take, your detailed calorie counting/macro nutrient breakdown diet, and your obsession for exercise & the science behind it, they would want to prescribe you some sort of medication - maybe anti-anxiety, anti-depressants, or some psychoactive drug.
and i would call him an arrogant fatass and kick sand in his face.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bananarexia....I like it.

Mental disorders are arbitrarily defined, and often diagnosed to propose an idea to a behavioral abnormality.

For instance, kleptomania was first diagnosed as a mental illness for wealthy european women who would steal clothes from the mall. The logic was "she's rich. she doesn't need to steal. she could afford it. she must have a screw loose". In Europe in the late 1800's, women caught shoplifting were assessed by their monetary situation. If they were rich, they received mental treatment. If they were poor, they went to prison for theft.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
i think it's crucial to find a balance between bodybuilding and your life. there really is no problem with having a lil OCD when it comes to this industry - if it makes you happy, do it. if it helps you relieve stress, do it. so you spend $$$ on supps. so you're fanatic about eating healthy meals every 3 hours. so what? if that is your choice, then be proud of it. if the people in your life genuinely care about you and respect your decisions, they will accept that this is what you prefer to do and refrain from saying any $hit about it. be body conscious, be determined, be focused. be whatever you want to be. it's your life. have fun with it. and having fun doesn't mean you can't be extremely serious either. find the appropriate equilibrium between your area of interest (bodybuilding, fitness, powerlifting, etc) and the other things in your life and you will be at peace.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BarryBondsHOF Anabolics 6
T-Bone General Chat 8