Schools Just Got Better!!!

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
School enforces strict no-touching rule - Education - MSNBC.com

VIENNA, Va. - A rule against physical contact at a Fairfax County middle school is so strict that students can be sent to the principal's office for hugging, holding hands or even high-fiving.

Unlike some schools in the Washington area, which ban fighting or inappropriate touching, Kilmer Middle School in Vienna bans all touching — and that has some parents lobbying for a change.

Hugging was Hal Beaulieu's crime when he sat next to his girlfriend at lunch a few months ago and put his arm around her shoulder. He was given a warning, but told that repeat missteps could lead to detention.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

"I think hugging is a good thing," said Hal, a seventh-grader. "I put my arm around her. It was like for 15 seconds. I didn't think it would be a big deal."

But at a school of 1,100 students that was meant to accommodate 850, school officials think some touching can turn into a big deal. They've seen pokes lead to fights, gang signs in the form of handshakes or girls who are uncomfortable being hugged but embarrassed to say anything.

"You get into shades of gray," Kilmer Principal Deborah Hernandez said. "The kids say, 'If he can high-five, then I can do this.' "

Hernandez said the no-touching rule is meant to ensure that all students are comfortable and crowded hallways and lunchrooms stay safe. She said school officials are allowed to use their judgment in enforcing the rule. Typically, only repeat offenders are reprimanded.

'Making out goes too far'
But such a strict policy doesn't seem necessary to 13-year-old Hal and his parents, who have written a letter to the county school board asking for a review of the rule. Hugging is encouraged in their home, and their son has been taught to greet someone with a handshake.

Hal said he feels he knows what's appropriate and what's not.

"I think you should be able to shake hands, high-five and maybe a quick hug," he said. "Making out goes too far."

His parents said they agree that teenagers need to have clear limits but don't want their son to be taught that physical contact is bad.

"How do kids learn what's right and what's wrong?" Henri Beaulieu asked. "They are all smart kids, and they can draw lines. If they cross them, they can get in trouble. But I don't think it would happen too often."

WTF is wrong with this world?!?! I would have been sent to the chair for all the high fiving and hugging I did in school. This makes me not want to have kids just to spare them of this bull****

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Political correctness run amok. Principals don't want to deal with anything anymore so they institute "Zero Tolerance" programs. Just suspend and expell all the huggers!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hell, if he can High Five, then I can pop 10 rounds from my Glock into my schoolmates, right?

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
dsade watch what you say online, feds are gonna pay you a visit

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Political correctness run amok. Principals don't want to deal with anything anymore so they institute "Zero Tolerance" programs. Just suspend and expell all the huggers!
Yeah those motherffff...huggers get what they deserve.lol

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I couldnt find the hug icon, so instead, a beer :cheers:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
This is fvckin' ridiculous ! I would have been accused of rape because I looked for any opportunity to hug chicks in high school !

Kids do crazy sh!t in school sometimes because schools go a little wild with their policies. They haven't done anything that crazy in California since they made us wear uniforms in middle school, that was gay.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude, I've been to Vienna, VA before; this is exactly something they would do. Those people really pissed me off around there... Some of the ritziest, self-centered, materialistic pieces of crap. My ex's family lives there, and she took me up there a couple years ago when we were dating. I love the history around DC, but the people are the WORST. My gf at the time was telling people to have a "Happy Holiday Season" and I said, "Why not just say Merry Christmas?" and she told me that it was politically incorrect. Well, that was the end of that relationship. Where the hell has this country gone that you can't say Merry Christmas anymore?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I know I will be going against most of you on this one but I think this new law is really a GOOD idea.

For me personally when I was young and going to school I had to work VERY hard to do well. I was very distracted with all the random girls coming up to me hugging, caressing and fondling me at school, so again I agree with this new law.

CROWLER

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
HA just kidding.

CROWLER

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought you were serious until I saw the word "fondling."

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Where the hell has this country gone that you can't say Merry Christmas anymore?
I had a hippy a$$ science teacher tell me I was insensitive to others around me because I was saying "Merry Christmas" to my students before they left for Winter Break, which used to be called Christmas break LOL. She made it seem as if I was trying to convert people to christianity on school grounds.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was very distracted with all the random girls coming up to me hugging, caressing and fondling me at school, so again I agree with this new law.

CROWLER
FYI, random girls are not the same as the janitors.

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
I love it.. This school says you can't hug another student, then theres that other junior high that just passed that sh!t where 2 students who are wanting to hump can obtain birth control from the school WITHOUT informing their parents. What happened to the happy medium? Gotta love this country, highest teen pregnancy rate in the western world? Damn....

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love it.. This school says you can't hug another student, then theres that other junior high that just passed that sh!t where 2 students who are wanting to hump can obtain birth control from the school WITHOUT informing their parents. What happened to the happy medium? Gotta love this country, highest teen pregnancy rate in the western world? Damn....
I don't understand our culture. They push sex on kids and teens through television and models and advertisements, etc, but when some girl gets pregnant, she's a slut and ph.uqed up and made a huge mistake... Bleh. People piss me off.