Saw IV review

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I went to see Saw IV last night by myself, as my girlfriend refuses to watch scary movies.

Saw 1 was very good.

Saw 2 was OK, but nothing too special

Saw 3 was utterly stupid and did not make any f.ucking sense

Saw 4 was better than Saw 3, but still sucked.

I've been a big fan of horror movies and the Saw genre. It was good at first, but they are really stretching the movie story line into a bunch of non-sense b.s.

In the movie there are a lot of characters whose prior history to jigsaw is unexplained. In particular, the person at the very end who is responsible for the whole charade I was like, 'WTF, how does he know Jigsaw and how does he tie in ?'

The storyline was pretty spotty and scrappy kinda like Saw 3. The entertainment factor was better in this 4th movie, but overall i was not very impressed.

Saw 4= sucked

Here's some movies I've been wanting to see:

-One Missed Call
-I am Legend (Will Smith)
-30 days of Night

I Am Legend (2007) - Trailers and Clips - Yahoo! Movies

One Missed Call (2008) - Trailers and Clips - Yahoo! Movies

If you are thinking 'foly huck' then you are absolutely right.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went to see Saw IV last night by myself, as my girlfriend refuses to watch scary movies.

Saw 1 was very good.

I've been a big fan of horror movies and the Saw genre. It was good at first, but they are really stretching the movie story line into a bunch of non-sense b.s.

In the movie there are a lot of characters whose prior history to jigsaw is unexplained. In particular, the person at the very end who is responsible for the whole charade I was like, 'WTF, how does he know Jigsaw and how does he tie in ?'

The storyline was pretty spotty and scrappy kinda like Saw 3. The entertainment factor was better in this 4th movie, but overall i was not very impressed.

Saw 4= sucked

-One Missed Call
-30 days of Night

Great than, because I was gonna go see it on Saturday but the Movies were way to crowded. One I want to see is "We Own The Night"...I think I will wait till Saw 4 comes out on DVD.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Saw 1 was very good.

Saw 4= sucked

-One Missed Call
-30 days of Night

I pretty much agree with you. At the end, I was like "WTF, how does he know Jigsaw and how does he tie in ?" as well. I assume this will be explained in the fifth, but it makes for a poor stand alone ending. In Saw II, when you found out that Amanda was working with Jigsaw it made some sense and there were clues there the whole time. This twist just came out of nowhere, but allowed the franchise to continue I guess.

I like the concept of Saw so I will probably continue to see them and be disappointed. I would say that Saw IV was okay, maybe about equal to Saw II and better than Saw III. If you really like the series, see it. If you kind of like it, skip it and rent it.

SPOILERS ----------------------------------- NEXT 2 POSTS--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Yeah you know for sure there will be a 5th installment of Saw. The first on was the best, 2 was OK, but 3/4 just really are a let down. I know they are trying to be creative, but the story has ran its course and the fact that probably only 85% of the story in Saw 4 made sense is kinda ridiculous.

Plus in the beginning the fact that the corener did NOT know that the body he was cutting up was not Jigsaw's was not very likely. The whole story line was just sloppy, like Jenna Jameson.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah you know for sure there will be a 5th installment of Saw. The first on was the best, 2 was OK, but 3/4 just really are a let down. I know they are trying to be creative, but the story has ran its course and the fact that probably only 85% of the story in Saw 4 made sense is kinda ridiculous.

Plus in the beginning the fact that the corener did NOT know that the body he was cutting up was not Jigsaw's was not very likely. The whole story line was just sloppy, like Jenna Jameson.
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, the beginning of the movie was actually the end of it chronologically. I didn't figure this out until after leaving the theater and recalling the end of Saw III. The movie starts chronologically where the "angel" body from the third is found (the cop that was killed in III with her ribs ripped open). Apparently when the FBI guy questions Jigsaw's wife, he refers to Jigsaw as still being alive. I missed this because my gf was talking me in the movie :aargh: , but read it somewhere. Anyway the events of IV run parallel to the events of III and one can assume that Jigsaw is testing out both Amanda and the other dude as replacements. You see this at the end with the doctor woman from III still alive and then dying and Jigsaw's freshly dead body there. Logical flaw? If the FBI guy is locked in the room with Jigsaw's body won't the police find him when they locate the body and know who the replacement dude is by the testimony of the FBI dude? Anyway, the scene with the cop listening to the tape from his stomach is sort of what will lead into the next movie. Ie, he will still be tested....

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, the beginning of the movie was actually the end of it chronologically. I didn't figure this out until after leaving the theater and recalling the end of Saw III. The movie starts chronologically where the "angel" body from the third is found (the cop that was killed in III with her ribs ripped open). Apparently when the FBI guy questions Jigsaw's wife, he refers to Jigsaw as still being alive. I missed this because my gf was talking me in the movie :aargh: , but read it somewhere. Anyway the events of IV run parallel to the events of III and one can assume that Jigsaw is testing out both Amanda and the other dude as replacements. You see this at the end with the doctor woman from III still alive and then dying and Jigsaw's freshly dead body there. Logical flaw? If the FBI guy is locked in the room with Jigsaw's body won't the police find him when they locate the body and know who the replacement dude is by the testimony of the FBI dude? Anyway, the scene with the cop listening to the tape from his stomach is sort of what will lead into the next movie. Ie, he will still be tested....

what you just said is so beyond me.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Does it make sense or did I not explain it well? Or do you disagree? The writing was not great at making the timeline clear IMO, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. I don't mind thinking and interpreting movies, but I don't expect it as much during a horror film.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Saw the original version of One Missed Call.... and the U.S> version trailer seems to be almost identical.

If they are as similar as they appear, they are in line w/ the type of horror that originates from Asia, which I tend to enjoy (Grudge, The Ring)... however, the movie is honestly not that good.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Does it make sense or did I not explain it well? Or do you disagree? The writing was not great at making the timeline clear IMO, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. I don't mind thinking and interpreting movies, but I don't expect it as much during a horror film.
I just got out of the shower and consumed 4 beers since my last post. Yeah it makes sense now, but that must mean there is a 3rd person other than Amanda and that cop guy ?.....if the cop is listening to the tape in the beginning.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The japanese horror style really scares the f.uck out of me. I remember I couldn't quite get up out of my seat when I watched the grudge in the theatre.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
The japanese horror style really scares the f.uck out of me. I remember I couldn't quite get up out of my seat when I watched the grudge in the theatre.
im a huge horror movie guy... the grudge did nothing for me, however the original movie that the grudge was made after was amazing. i cant remember the name of the movie though

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I just got out of the shower and consumed 4 beers since my last post. Yeah it makes sense now, but that must mean there is a 3rd person other than Amanda and that cop guy ?.....if the cop is listening to the tape in the beginning.
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How do you figure a fourth person was necessary? Not sure that I see that.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I think by the time the cops find Jigsaw and the FBI locked up the FBI dude will probably already be dead by then.

The cop who set up all the traps I still don't understand what his role in the movie was.

I don't know if your confusing the 2 individuals, but the one who plays the tape coated in wax in the beginning and the one that set up the traps is one guy, and the FBI guy who is lockedup with jigsaw's dead body is another person.

It sounds like from what I was reading in your post about the interrogation with the wife that you might have mixed up the 2.

hm, I guess I'm still lost.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
im a huge horror movie guy... the grudge did nothing for me, however the original movie that the grudge was made after was amazing. i cant remember the name of the movie though
I didn't think the ring or the grudge was scary personally. I've never seen the original Japanese movies, though. The only Japanese horror movie that I've seen is Audition and I thought it sucked. 100 minutes of boredom followed by 20 minutes that wasn't really that impressive.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I didn't think the ring or the grudge was scary personally. I've never seen the original Japanese movies, though. The only Japanese horror movie that I've seen is Audition and I thought it sucked. 100 minutes of boredom followed by 20 minutes that wasn't really that impressive.
At our age I don't think any horror flicks will really be scary. Kinda like rollercoasters, their only scary when you're a kid, unless of course you're a pu**y:aargh:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, stuff like that should be labeled under 'action flicks'

The only movies that really scared me are:

IT by Stephen King
The Grudge
The Ring

and all of Richard Simmons' workout videos......

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think by the time the cops find Jigsaw and the FBI locked up the FBI dude will probably already be dead by then.

The cop who set up all the traps I still don't understand what his role in the movie was.

I don't know if your confusing the 2 individuals, but the one who plays the tape coated in wax in the beginning and the one that set up the traps is one guy, and the FBI guy who is lockedup with jigsaw's dead body is another person.

It sounds like from what I was reading in your post about the interrogation with the wife that you might have mixed up the 2.

hm, I guess I'm still lost.
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I get that. There is an FBI dude and the cop. FBI guy is chasing down Rigg and the other cop and Jigsaw's accomplice (that is actually the cop) while the cop must be setting up traps. Jigsaw, at the time of III and IV is in no shape to set up the traps or capture anyone, so it had to be the cop and/or Amanda who set up IV's traps. But Amanda's traps are unwinnable so they must be the cops.

The cop being the new Jigsaw just comes out of no where as you said which bothers me.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
What also too I don't get is Riggs is supposed to get to the cop on the ice block as fast as he can ? I remember this b/c Jigsaw said don't help the chick with her hair in that thing.

But then they all get screwed b/c Riggs gets there in time ? WTF ?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
At our age I don't think any horror flicks will really be scary. Kinda like rollercoasters, their only scary when you're a kid, unless of course you're a pu**y:aargh:

Well, it just so happens that I'm a big pu**y, Alexandrovanavichinsky.

Yeah, you're right to some extent, but I think that a creepy atmosphere/tension can be set up nicely and I enjoy being startled for some reason. Like in "the descent" when the chick is crawling through that small cavern, it's creepy (I'm claustrophobic as hell). But no, a monster won't scare me and torture/gore doesn't bother me at all except I don't like to see eyeball squishing.

Something that's really scary are the numbers I'll be putting up the gym over next few months. :dl: :twisted:

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
The cop being the guy setting up the trap has to be for Saw 5. My guess is we get his story, also I think that the FBI guy will not be found and questioned as his test probably begins in the cooler, also part of Saw 5.
So I am guessing the autopsy is actually somewhere in the middle/end of Saw 5.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
What also too I don't get is Riggs is supposed to get to the cop on the ice block as fast as he can ? I remember this b/c Jigsaw said don't help the chick with her hair in that thing.

Helping the chick was a horrible idea as she was to kill him when she got out.
Jigsaw told him time was on his side.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
3 things that scare me outside of movies.

1. The dark, or total darkness, esp. that dark hallway shlt.

2. I have a bathophobia...no not bath tubs. It is a fear of large deep areas....i.e. huge swimming pools, ocean, etc.

3. Swimming in general. I'll wade in the water where I can stand, and I actually can swim, but seeing that darkness in the water b/c it is so deep makes me start panicking. I've had probably 8 near death expierences with drowning when I was little.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The cop being the guy setting up the trap has to be for Saw 5. My guess is we get his story, also I think that the FBI guy will not be found and questioned as his test probably begins in the cooler, also part of Saw 5.
So I am guessing the autopsy is actually somewhere in the middle/end of Saw 5.
I was thinking this too. I bet there was a tape for the FBI guy in the freezer. But what about that deranged dad that was in there ? What about his daughter too ? Wasn't there some shlt up with that ?

none of this makes any sense.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it's a little misleading to say get there fast. But the lesson Riggs was supposed to learn was that you have to let people save themselves (or something to that extent). Remember that the chick tries to kill him. i kind of like how Riggs ****s up at the end. i enjoyed the tragedy in it, but didn't like the twist we talked about.

And I'm not completely defending the movie. It wasn't prefect at all.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking this too. I bet there was a tape for the FBI guy in the freezer. But what about that deranged dad that was in there ? What about his daughter too ? Wasn't there some shlt up with that ?

Didn't the FBI guy kill the dad in 4? I can't remember the story of him and his daughter from 3. Anybody?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Definitely lacked clarity. Saw 3 had a very obsecure plot as well. That messed up dad is in there with the doctor wife, then shlt goes down, and boom, that's the end of the movie.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Didn't the FBI guy kill the dad in 4? I can't remember the story of him and his daughter from 3. Anybody?
FBI killed the dad in 4. I thought the daughter was missing and crying in some obescure place...if i remember correcty.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
if you haven't seen the trailer for 'I am Legend' with Will Smith watch it.

Looks like its gonna be a good movie.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Well, it just so happens that I'm a big pu**y, Alexandrovanavichinsky.

Yeah, you're right to some extent, but I think that a creepy atmosphere/tension can be set up nicely and I enjoy being startled for some reason. Like in "the descent" when the chick is crawling through that small cavern (I'm claustrophobic as hell). But no, a monster won't scare me and torture/gore doesn't bother me at all except I don't like to see eyeball squishing.

Something that's really scary are the numbers I'll be putting up the gym over next few months. :dl: :twisted:
I definitely enjoy being startled too, but I find it hard to come by. I try to get scared but it doesn't work. I'll even play some scary music in the background(Requiem for a Dream) and leave my back door open(a robber or something could come in, should add to the fear factor).

Claustrophobic huh. I'll be sure to smother you with my Fedor like belly shall we ever grapple.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the dad from saw III who's decision causes his wife to die which you see at the end of this movie. I don't remember exactly what happened with the daughter.

Jason, ReaperX Did the FBI dude get a tape from the puppet or was that for his female partner before she was injured? I don't remember exactly what it said.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
3 things that scare me outside of movies.

1. The dark, or total darkness, esp. that dark hallway shlt.

2. I have a bathophobia...no not bath tubs. It is a fear of large deep areas....i.e. huge swimming pools, ocean, etc.

3. Swimming in general. I'll wade in the water where I can stand, and I actually can swim, but seeing that darkness in the water b/c it is so deep makes me start panicking. I've had probably 8 near death expierences with drowning when I was little.
A couple months ago a friend of mine was fvcking with me, he came into my house without me knowing and I was in the basement watching tv with just a dim light on. The laundry room is in the hall next to the room I'm in, but you can see it from the room I'm in. I'm just casually letting my eyes wander and this dude is looking at me through the crack in the laundry room door(he is standing in the laundry room). It scared the absolute sh*t out of me. I jumped up and yelled at this person, I had no idea it was my friend at the time, he quickly opened the door and was saying it's me, it's me. Guy got me good:clap2:

Sh*t I forgot, Jas doesn't like my stories.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
A couple months ago a friend of mine was fvcking with me, he came into my house without me knowing and I was in the basement watching tv with just a dim light on. The laundry room is in the hall next to the room I'm in, but you can see it from the room I'm in. I'm just casually letting my eyes wander and this dude is looking at me through the crack in the laundry room door(he is standing in the laundry room). It scared the absolute sh*t out of me. I jumped up and yelled at this person, I had no idea it was my friend at the time, he quickly opened the door and was saying it's me, it's me. Guy got me good:clap2:
peeping ? damn that shlt sounds kinky.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Claustrophobic huh. I'll be sure to smother you with my Fedor like belly shall we ever grapple.
Well after your stories of flying gogoing Nog and flying kimuraing Rickson, I'm intimidated. But I'd say jas by chin to the eye sub.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the dad from saw III who's decision causes his wife to die which you see at the end of this movie. I don't remember exactly what happened with the daughter.

Jason, ReaperX Did the FBI dude get a tape from the puppet or was that for his female partner before she was injured? I don't remember exactly what it said.

I believe it was the female partner who grabbed the tape and played it. She also had her face right up to the doll. I don't recall what the tape said though. I'm thinking, but it isn't coming to me.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Sh*t I forgot, Jas doesn't like my stories.
That's pretty funny. I could imagine two rednecks in that situation and the intruder getting shot. Naw, your stories are more credible than most.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Wasn't it 'her next step is crucial' and he is about to 'kill an innocent man ?' From the tape that the doll was holding ?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wasn't it 'her next step is crucial' and he is about to 'kill an innocent man ?' From the tape that the doll was holding ?
Yeah something like that. I don't think I really got that part.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The whole thing was Riggs was not supposed to enter 'unsecured doors'. Has he just chilled and let time run out Matthews and the lawyer would not have died, which they did.

The flashback in the beginning is actually at the end, assuming they found jigsaw's body and probably the FBI agent in the freezer. The cop who set up the whole thing is himself being tested as he plays the wax covered tape (beginning of the movie).

This means there is a 3rd apprentice who set that up since the cop is listening to it, and Amanda is dead.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Well after your stories of flying gogoing Nog and flying kimuraing Rickson, I'm intimidated. But I'd say jas by chin to the eye sub.
You really are a big Vovchan'chyn' fan. Might be time for an av change.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Reaper, I'll stop.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The whole thing was Riggs was not supposed to enter 'unsecured doors'. Has he just chilled and let time run out Matthews and the lawyer would not have died, which they did.

The flashback in the beginning is actually at the end, assuming they found jigsaw's body and probably the FBI agent in the freezer. The cop who set up the whole thing is himself being tested as he plays the wax covered tape (beginning of the movie).

This means there is a 3rd apprentice who set that up since the cop is listening to it, and Amanda is dead.
I'd have to hear what the tape from Jigsaw's stomach said again, but I thought that the tape said that his test was just beginning meaning that the cop thought it was done after orchestrating the saw IV traps, but that he had more work to do.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i had to skip thru most of this thread so i dont catch any spoilers. well ill probably go see it in a few weeks or maybe when it hits the dollar theatre...i love the saw principle.

One missed call ill have to go see that too, looks pretty good. I cant say that the ring or the grudge scared me. It was a lil creepy the way they made some of it but not scary at all. just me tho.

I just saw the preview to that will smith flick and it looks super good! I definately will see that, looks fvckn bad a55.

so what i pick up is the new killer is a guy and possibly the coroner.... so the concensus is it is better then the third? If so thats good enough for me.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
i had to skip thru most of this thread so i dont catch any spoilers. well ill probably go see it in a few weeks or maybe when it hits the dollar theatre...i love the saw principle.

One missed call ill have to go see that too, looks pretty good. I cant say that the ring or the grudge scared me. It was a lil creepy the way they made some of it but not scary at all. just me tho.

I just saw the preview to that will smith flick and it looks super good! I definately will see that, looks fvckn bad a55.

so what i pick up is the new killer is a guy and possibly the coroner.... so the concensus is it is better then the third? If so thats good enough for me.

If you are a 'Saw' fan you should see it regardless. I didn't care for the 3rd or 4th even, but I don't regret watching it. I've always been a fan of horror movies in general, and even more so when it begins to start a 'saga' kinda like Saw has.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to hear what the tape from Jigsaw's stomach said again, but I thought that the tape said that his test was just beginning meaning that the cop thought it was done after orchestrating the saw IV traps, but that he had more work to do.
Check out wikipedia.org and look at Saw 4 on it. It kinda cleared up some of the confusion for me.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
im debating if I should watch '30 days of Night'

Has anyone seen it ? Probably not I am guessing.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The tape that said 'about to kill an innocent man' from the exploding doll face was referring to how the FBI guy was going to kill Jeff (dad from Saw 3).

anbreeuh

Awards
Was nothing of what I expected. The only scene that got me was one that wasn't even horribly gruesome: it was when the door was slammed on the pregnant woman's stomach and blood was pouring all over the floor.
Was expecting a lot more from the movie than I received!

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
The tape that said 'about to kill an innocent man' from the exploding doll face was referring to how the FBI guy was going to kill Jeff (dad from Saw 3).
Yeah that tape already played its part. FBI guy killed innocent guy and FBI chicks next step was forward, not to the side and she got blasted in the face.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Was nothing of what I expected. The only scene that got me was one that wasn't even horribly gruesome: it was when the door was slammed on the pregnant woman's stomach and blood was pouring all over the floor.
Was expecting a lot more from the movie than I received!
The scalp ripping from the woman's head was a little gruesome. Also I thought the eyes and mouth sown shut guys was a nice touch. The head smashing was pretty sweet too. Knives across the face just made me shiver.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The scalp ripping from the woman's head was a little gruesome.
My gf's a dental student, and she said that she had done everything that was done in the autopsy. :jaw: I was like damn, guess that's not going to scare you.